• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Dahbomb

DS3 was far, far less likely to happen than DMC5 or even Marvel Infinite.

I think my only other dream games left are Zone of the Enders 2, MGR2 and Godhand 2.

Yeah, it truly felt like a dream game that would never come true. But here we are!

From a story standpoint, I wonder if we'll finally be able to get past the first game. I really wanna see how the story (and gameplay) plays out after that ending.

And then we have to get a 4th game with the last horseman before we can finally move on? No, come on man. I wanna know what happens after that cliffhanger, hahaha.

Dahbomb

And then we have to get a 4th game with the last horseman before we can finally move on? No, come on man. I wanna know what happens after that cliffhanger, hahaha.
You gotta EARN that sequel breh.

Capcom protected DMC5 like nuclear launch codes. Itsuno has the GDD of the game locked in a suitcase and handcuffed to his wrist.

They're 'protecting' it because it doesn't exist.

Pessimism 'til the end.

giphy.gif

All Aboard!

So let's *assume* DMC5 gets shown at E3 (dangerous assumption but sure).

I'd rather they release a story-only trailer OR a mostly-story trailer and a 5-10 minute gameplay demo and details on the game's systems and so on.

Don't really want to have something like a trailer with twenty seconds of rapidly edited gameplay that we're going to have to spend months analyzing frame-by-frame before we get any additional footage.

I guess what I'm saying is that whenever we get any kind of gameplay reveal I want it to be reasonably detailed.

BadWolf

And it was glorious.

Indeed, it's a masterpiece.

I'd rather they release a story-only trailer OR a mostly-story trailer and a 5-10 minute gameplay demo and details on the game's systems and so on.

Don't really want to have something like a trailer with twenty seconds of rapidly edited gameplay that we're going to have to spend months analyzing frame-by-frame before we get any additional footage.

Reveal it like RE7.

Trailer + playable demo.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

I guess what I'm saying is that whenever we get any kind of gameplay reveal I want it to be reasonably detailed.

Story/character trailer with slight gameplay snippets on the big stage. Smaller continuous gameplay preview trailer/stream to all the big media outlets, with short written and video interviews with Capcom reps near it.

I think that would be how it would go down. They wont have a trailer without any sort of gameplay woven into it, with choice quotes from the game ominously playing over it.

Considering how long we think theyve been working on it, they likely have a fair bit to show.

Story/character trailer with slight gameplay snippets on the big stage. Smaller continuous gameplay preview trailer/stream to all the big media outlets, with short written and video interviews with Capcom reps near it.

I think that would be how it would go down. They wont have a trailer without any sort of gameplay woven into it, with choice quotes from the game ominously playing over it.

Considering how long we think theyve been working on it, they likely have a fair bit to show.

Maybe, yeah. If it's the game I'm hoping it'll be, they'll *want* to trickle out information a bit more slowly (concerning individual weapons and playable characters) but I'd love to get a strong sense of the game's essential systems right from the start.

I've been involved in so many Persona 5 discussions lately and I'm beginning to feel like I'm an outlier within the Persona fanbase (or even in general really), and that I may have irrationally high expectations.

So I wanna put you guys in a hypothetical situation. Please bare with me for a moment.

Let's say DMC5 gets announced and comes out. Would you guys be okay if the game was like this.

• The same 20 level structure for the campaign.
  • The same linear structure in each level.
  • The same gameplay mechanics. As in the styles and the way you switch between them are the same as DMC4.
  • Each style may have one or two new function but they are largely the same as what we had before.
  • New melee and long range weapons.
  • New enemies who look different in their design but largely feel like the same kind of enemies that we've had in DMC3/4.

Now regardless of the story and how good or bad it may be, would you guys be okay with the above? From a gameplay standpoint, after years of waiting, do you think the above will satisfy you and be enough to not make you feel disappointed in the game?

Let me make it even more clear. When it comes to gameplay and general systems of the game, do you guys want an "improved" DMC3/4, or do you expect to see an "evolved" version of DMC3/4?

I've been involved in so many Persona 5 discussions lately and I'm beginning to feel like I'm an outlier within the Persona fanbase (or even in general really), and that I may have irrationally high expectations.

So I wanna put you guys in a hypothetical situation. Please bare with me for a moment.

Let's say DMC5 gets announced and comes out. Would you guys be okay if the game was like this.

• The same gameplay mechanics. As in the styles and the way you switch between them are the same as DMC4.
  • Each style may have one or two new function but they are largely the same as what we had before.
  • New melee and long ranched weapons.
  • New enemies who look different in their design but largely feel like the same kind of enemies that we've had in DMC3/4.

Now regardless of the story and how good or bad it may be, would you guys be okay with the above? From a gameplay standpoint, after years of waiting, do you think the above will satisfy you and be enough to not make you feel disappointed in the game?

Let me make it even more clear. When it comes to gameplay and general systems of the game, do you guys want an "improved" DMC3/4, or do you expect to see an "evolved" version of DMC3/4?

I've played DMC 4 for almost 10 years. I do not want DMC 4.5.

DMC 5 has to step up its enemy AI to Bayonetta levels, it had better not be a short ass 5 hour campaign, NOTHING LIKE THE DICE PUZZLE SHOULD EVER SHOW UP AGAIN, backtracking needs to either not exist or be done like DMC 3, and they need to go balls to the wall crazy with weapon and mechanical additions.

I've played DMC 4 for almost 10 years. I do not want DMC 4.5.

DMC 5 has to step up its enemy AI to Bayonetta levels, it had better not be a short ass 5 hour campaign, NOTHING LIKE THE DICE PUZZLE SHOULD EVER SHOW UP AGAIN, backtracking needs to either not exist or be done like DMC 3, and they need to go balls to the wall crazy with weapon and mechanical additions.
So it's not a lofty expectation to want the things that you mentioned, right? Especially when you consider how long we've been waiting.

OniBaka

That's a tough question, think I want an improved dmc3/4 because an evolved form might not be as fun to play.

Look at Yakuza 6, it's an evolution to previous games formula but it doesn't look as fun.

Edit: talking about combat, the game structure can change it more dark souls world.

The linear chapter structure needs to go, I think, but I *want* combat to remain in the same basic framework for sure.

Same framework, sure. But it better not be: Dante with Rebellion/E&I/Shotgun/Gauntlets plus a couple odd weapons and calling it a day.

So it's not a lofty expectation to want the things that you mentioned, right? Especially when you consider how long we've been waiting.

If DMC 5 had happened around 2010 or 2011, more minor additions/course corrections would have been fine. That's not the case. It's almost a decade later.

Like I said earlier: If Capcom is already at the point of "How many corners can we possibly cut and still get away with it", the franchise is already screwed.

^
I hear you and I feel the same way.
The linear chapter structure needs to go, I think, but I *want* combat to remain in the same basic framework for sure.
That's a tough question, think I want an improved dmc3/4 because an evolved form might not be as fun to play.

Look at Yakuza 6, it's an evolution to previous games formula but it doesn't look as fun.

Edit: talking about combat, the game structure can change it more dark souls world.
So just to be clear, you guys want the game to still have 5 styles that you can change them with your D-pad on the fly, right?

Wouldn't that give you guys a feeling of "been there, done that"?

I haven't played that obviously, but I've heard some good things about the combat in that game, despite its shortcomings. Really curious to play it.

OniBaka

just to be clear, you guys want the game to still have 5 styles that you can change them with your D-pad on the fly, right?

Wouldn't that give you guys a feeling of "been there, done that"?

I doubt mind it but I did say improved version, like previously suggested before most the style moves should be able to performed without switching. Nero was very close to it.

I haven't played that obviously, but I've heard some good things about the combat in that game, despite its shortcomings. Really curious to play it.

Some of my favorite heat moves in previous games don't look as good in 6, doesn't have that impact and good camera direction in them.

I doubt mind it but I did say improved version, like previously suggested before most the style moves should be able to performed without switching. Nero was very close to it.
You are confusing me man, hahaha.

Do you want them to keep the style systems or not?

Some of my favorite heat moves in previous games don't look as good in 6, doesn't have that impact and good camera direction in them.
That's unfortunate. But from what I've heard the base combat (kicks, punches, the flow of fight, etc) has been improved. If that's true then I think that's a fair trade. As long as they get the basics right, they can always come back and make improvements to heat moves and other stuff in the next entry.

I want the style system, Devil Bringer, and Exceed all to come back. But the makeup can't be:

Dante: 4 same base styles plus one special, core four weapons plus two special.

Nero: Single sword (new), single gun, Devil Bringer

Bring back Doppleganger and Quick Silver on top of the four original styles and then add. Buff Gunslinger so it a Stand Alone style again like an DMC 3 and expand. Give Nero several weapons with several different applications of the Rev mechanics. Maybe each weapon has different timings, affects different parts of a move, and all have different attributes. Make it so that the Devil Buster has a lot more interactivity with enemies (think how Nero can throw the demon swords at other enemies). Do some more stuff with the level design for the buster than basic platforming. Don't just reuse old enemies, give us something new. Add the good stuff from DmC (Weapon Switching pause combos and the like). Take a page out of Bayonetta's book in regards to enemy AI so we don't get Scarecrows, Faults, Fausts, Chimera Seed, and Chimera's again.

Look, I'll take a new Devil May Cry any way I can get it but I also want the franchise to push forward.

Oh, that's not what I meant by an evolved version of DMC3/4.

I think for the combat to truly evolve, the style system needs to be gone completely. That's not because I think they are bad or anything. On the contrary, I think they are very good, but at the same time I think they've reached (or have come very very close to reaching) their full potential. Like, there is nothing else that can be done with style systems as they are, that would make me go "Wow, that's crazy! That totally changes everything" the same way that DMC4 did with on the fly style switching.

That's why I wanna see something different. And I'll be honest, unlike Persona which I know what want to see in it, I have no idea how they should approach this in DMC5. All I know is that I don't want them to reuse the same mechanics, cause they've already given us the best version of those mechanics.

I wouldn't have an issue if they did away with the Style system and brought something new in, but assuming they won't get rid of it I want them to really expand on it.

I don't think they did, felt very half arse in dmc4 but I totally understand of wanting to be wowed again like going from dmc1 to 3. Feels like they need to pull off another dmc3 type trailer.

Now I'm curious. What made you feel the mechanics themselves were half arsed in that game?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

• New melee and long range weapons.

Honestly, man, I've felt for a while that your expectations are generally extremely high. You've said on multiple occasions that either DMC5 (or another game) will meet what you believe to be the evolution of the series, or you'll basically drop support. That's not a bad thing at all, to have standards and follow them through, but it also tends to lead to disappointment. But for me, change for the sake of change and evolution for the sake of evolution isn't a good thing. In fact, without focus and thought, it can be a detriment.

I'd accept the above, but I wouldn't applaud it without the game being a complete package like DMC3 was. Not that it should emulate DMC3 or be just an "improved" DMC3, but that it should feel like a complete game. This is the probably single most important thing for Capcom to accomplish at launch from a general consumer standpoint, because their most recent offerings have strayed far off the general expectations of what constitutes a complete package. Everything else is secondary. They've earned the reputation of putting out betas.

We've been waiting a long ass time for the return of Dante. All of us have. But I think it's important to keep in mind context. While we've been waiting 8 years, the game hasn't been in development for 8 years, and I don't expect there to by 8 years worth of in the title. What I do expect is there to be a central focus, drive, and passion that shines in the game, and for Itsuno to strive for it to be his new magnum opus.

Anyway, I don't really think there's a risk of a DMC5 being the bulletpoint list you have above. Every title has grown and expanded the combat, differentiating itself in big ways from its predecessors.

Honestly, man, I've felt for a while that your expectations are generally extremely high. You've said on multiple occasions that either DMC5 (or another game) will meet what you believe to be the evolution of the series, or you'll basically drop support. That's not a bad thing at all, to have standards and follow them through, but it also tends to lead to disappointment. But for me, change for the sake of change and evolution for the sake of evolution isn't a good thing. In fact, without focus and thought, it can be a detriment.

I'd accept the above, but I wouldn't applaud it without the game being a complete package like DMC3 was. Not that it should emulate DMC3 or be just an "improved" DMC3, but that it should feel like a complete game. This is the probably single most important thing for Capcom to accomplish at launch from a general consumer standpoint, because their most recent offerings have strayed far off the general expectations of what constitutes a complete package. Everything else is secondary. They've earned the reputation of putting out betas.

We've been waiting a long ass time for the return of Dante. All of us have. But I think it's important to keep in mind context. While we've been waiting 8 years, the game hasn't been in development for 8 years, and I don't expect there to by 8 years worth of in the title. What I do expect is there to be a central focus, drive, and passion that shines in the game, and for Itsuno to strive for it to be his new magnum opus.

Anyway, I don't really think there's a risk of a DMC5 being the bulletpoint list you have above. Every title has grown and expanded the combat, differentiating itself in big ways from its predecessors.
I'm glad that you responded to my post GE.

I think you are right about me having high expectations, but I think you've mostly see me talk about the sequels that I've been waiting for a long time. I have this habit, and I know it's not a good thing, but I have a habit of getting my expectations up when a game takes a long time to come. So, as the years between the release of a game and its sequel go up, so do my expectations. Otherwise, there are many games that I'm completely fine with them just getting improved with each sequel (I mean, just look at my avatar)

I hear what you are saying about DMC5 not being in development for the past 9 years, and you are absolutely right. But look at it from the other side. Capcom knows that we've been waiting for this game for 9 years. And they should know that regardless of how long the game has been in development, after such a long wait, they have to come up with something special.

I know that DMC5 won't be the bulletpoint list that I've written above. I made that to see how would you guys react if we got something similar to Persona 5, and to see if my reaction to that game is normal or not. Cause I feel like I expected too much even though I just wanted the formula to evolve after a decade and two very similar entries (it seems like a lot Persona fans don't feel the same way, tho)

But when it comes to Devil May Cry 5, however it may be, I just want it to feel like it was worth a decade of waiting. I realize that's not being fair to devs, I really do. But after all this time, that's just how I feel and I can't change that.

I want the style system, Devil Bringer, and Exceed all to come back. But the makeup can't be:

Dante: 4 same base styles plus one special, core four weapons plus two special.

Nero: Single sword (new), single gun, Devil Bringer

Bring back Doppleganger and Quick Silver on top of the four original styles and then add. Buff Gunslinger so it a Stand Alone style again like an DMC 3 and expand. Give Nero several weapons with several different applications of the Rev mechanics. Maybe each weapon has different timings, affects different parts of a move, and all have different attributes. Make it so that the Devil Buster has a lot more interactivity with enemies (think how Nero can throw the demon swords at other enemies). Do some more stuff with the level design for the buster than basic platforming. Don't just reuse old enemies, give us something new. Add the good stuff from DmC (Weapon Switching pause combos and the like). Take a page out of Bayonetta's book in regards to enemy AI so we don't get Scarecrows, Faults, Fausts, Chimera Seed, and Chimera's again.

Look, I'll take a new Devil May Cry any way I can get it but I also want the franchise to push forward.
I think Doppelgänger and Quicksilver make sense as DT modifiers rather than as Styles.

On a similar note, if Dante has Royal Guard again and/or a meter-consuming firearm, that stuff should all solely build up or consume the DT meter. More ways to build it up and more ways to consume it = a good thing for the metagame I think, and it can all be balanced around that principle.

OniBaka

Now I'm curious. What made you feel the mechanics themselves were half arsed in that game?
Wasn't saying the mechanics were half arsed, was saying the styles were.

Look at dark style for instance, it was just a copy paste of vergil moveset with both forward and back motions being dimension cut.

All I want in DMC5 is a solid base, dlc can add more content later. Give me that Vergil in Hell DLC campaign, though I have a feeling in DMC5 we will actually have a good portion of the game in hell. I really liked that concept art of Dante with a winter coat diving into the depths of hell.. That would have made a really cool DMC4..

Dahbomb

It's not just people in this thread that are expecting something massive... it's everyone else who is even somewhat of a fan of action games. DMC still holds the title among connoisseur as a genre innovator and one to push it forward to new heights. A lot rests on DMC5 even if the devs aren't prepared for it.

This is the tasks that DMC5 has to face with:

*Make people give a damn about OG DMC again after a decade long absence. I don't remember a reasonably sized game getting this long of an absence aside from truly edge cases like FF15 and Last Guardian.

*Reinvigorate the action genre. No not the jabroni action/RPG genre or the action/adventure, I am talking balls to the god damn walls all up in my face action genre. Make people give a damn about this genre and make it semi-lucrative again.

*Clap games like Bayonetta into the wind. If DMC5 isn't perceived to be significantly better than Bayonetta then DMC5 didn't live up to the expectations of many as Bayonetta came quite before it.

*Make people show the disparity in quality of action combat between DmC and OG DMC. DmC had the advantage of learning from the evolution of the franchise and make it more accessible but DMC5 has to show what could've been if instead of DmC we had gotten DMC5.

*Be relevant in a flood of Souls-like, action RPGs type games that have crept on the same demographic. People aren't going to be satisfied by cookie cutter enemies, bosses and level design anymore... standards are a lot higher and the issues can't be waved by with "but it's an action game guys"... Both the gaming audience at large and the gaming journalists are going to crucify this game especially if it's only marginally better than DmC.

*Make Capcom being a company known for making good games again because they have had some significant misfires as of late.

I am obviously biased but if I were Capcom I would be doing everything in my power to make sure DMC5 is top fucking notch. This is a top 5 franchise for Capcom, extremely stable and is shockingly resilient to bad games within the franchise. They can make a mediocre DMC game and it can sell close to 2 million. What if they make an outstanding DMC game? 3 million? Hell if they make it godly enough then 4 million isn't out of the question. With a mid tier budget without putting in stuff like 10 hour cutscenes, massive open world etc... you can easily make bank on these games. And if the game is good then the moneys from the DLCs and hats start rolling in.

Not to mention a lot of the DMC characters are bankable by themselves. Get those action figures, VS cross overs etc. rolling as well.

Dahbomb

Though it's very likely that DMC5 will not live up to lofty expectations. At this point even a decent DMC game would suffice.

Top Bottom