• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 5 |OT| Gimme Dat Vergil

Shifty

Here is my 4K Screenshot Gallery (with PC Settings) and video of the Prologue+Intro (which is awesome) at 4K: http://www.pcmrace.com/2019/03/06/n...devil-may-cry-5-en-4k-con-detalles-al-maximo/
Thread has been blessed with screenshots of the PC options menu! Hnnnngggggg. Looks like RE2make, which is both unsurprising and a good thing.

I very badly want to watch your video, but gotta keep myself fresh for that intro. Thank you for posting this though, it looks great.

89% on opencritic with 72 reviews. Wow.

The time has come and so have I.
And thus began Itsuno's plan to
Dzvk_MmXcAAbkvt.jpg:large

all of our expectations.​

Last edited:

Pejo

Shit i had no idea the game was coming out this soon. Went ahead and pre-ordered on GMG for $51 for the Deluxe Steam version. Not a bad deal, and I wanted to support Capcom's cuh-razy decision to release this game finally. I'm also hoping that success of this will allow Itsuno to finally make Dragon's Dogma 2.

I played about an hour of the demo on PS4, loved the gameplay, but didn't want to spoil myself on the game too much yet, so I mainly just pissed around with the different devil arms. Tons of fun. I still don't really like Dante's new realistic design, but it might grow on me once I see him in motion. Nero looks fine, if a little similar to Donte from DmC.

I've been on blackout since the game was announced pretty much, so this is like Christmas Eve for me.

I'm so glad this is getting well reviewed. Devil May Cry 3 is 14 years old, no game has come even close to surpassing its mechanical excellence. Think of how rare that is. Try to think of many examples of anything that remain the gold standard of quality in its field for that long. Action game fans had to endure janky as fuck combat like God of War or heck even Dark Souls (although those games are obviously amazing overall) getting praised left and rightas the true action genre king was deep asleep. Not anymore baby.

All hail based Itsuno.

Naked Lunch

I am so glad this game exists.
I never thought it would happen. Outside of Bayonetta, its been years and years of garbage tier action games. The king is back.

Shifty

I'm so glad this is getting well reviewed. Devil May Cry 3 is 14 years old, no game has come even close to surpassing its mechanical excellence. Think of how rare that is. Try to think of many examples of anything that remain the gold standard of quality in its field for that long. Action game fans had to endure janky as fuck combat like God of War or heck even Dark Souls (although those games are obviously amazing overall) getting praised left and rightas the true action genre king was deep asleep. Not anymore baby.

All hail based Itsuno.
I had a read through the lowest-rated OpenCritic review as something of a thought experiment, and it baffles me the way "like a PS2 game" is used as a pejorative by some reviewers in the context of gameplay.
Like, the platform had some of the tightest and most mechanically interesting games we ever got. It was the golden age sweet spot that balanced a development budget between gameplay and asset quality before the HD development heavily skewed everything toward the latter.
And that is apparently a bad thing in comparison to Dad of War, Bayo 2 and NieR: Automata, two of which share the same PS2 gameplay roots as DMC.

Really, genuinely baffling.

Last edited:

SweetShark

Just now i recieved through my email the Steam Key for Devil May Cry 5 I bought from GreenManGaming.
See if you also get your keys as well.

I had a read through the lowest-rated OpenCritic review as something of a thought experiment, and it baffles me the way "like a PS2 game" is used as a pejorative by some reviewers in the context of gameplay.
Like, the platform had some of the tightest and most mechanically interesting games we ever got. It was the golden age sweet spot that balanced a development budget between gameplay and asset quality before the HD development heavily skewed everything toward the latter.
And that is apparently a bad thing in comparison to Dad of War, Bayo 2 and NieR: Automata, two of which share the same PS2 gameplay roots as DMC.

Really, genuinely baffling.

You nailed it right there when you mention the sweet spot. PS2 was the perfect moment between high quality 3D graphics and arcade based gameplay (with less emphasis on taking your quarters, but rather to keep you entertained for hours). You still had a gorgeous experience without having to sacrifice the mechanical depth. Nowadays there isn't a focus on challenging and engaging gameplay. You have brief moments of clarity, like DOOM or indeed Bayo or Automata (and those are watered down versions of DMC, although when you compare them to what's available they're so ahead of the field it's bonkers... God of War had a fucking arrow around your character because you couldn't see shit, Jesus fucking Christ), but overall the effort on that front just isn't there anymore.

This is the danger of pandering to the lowest common denominator, when you have people asking why isn't there a button to skip every challenge and the industry embracing those opinions. I remember that Dragon Age gif where the character was doing all kinds of crazy shit and all the player was doing was pressing A, people used to get mad at it because it was inaccurate, but was it really? When the Arkham combat is hailed as the evolution of combat in gaming you just know shit is fucked.

Last edited:
Pre-Load away, my dude

Locked and loaded, ready to rock. Got my XBone S controller polished and ready to grind.

So Steam says launch is tomorrow at (edited)

Edit

I fucked up, read it wrong. Sorry.

9 PM pacific time

Last edited:
Sweet. Got this game pre-ordered and am ready for Friday. :messenger_sunglasses:

Though...does it kinda feel like this game is coming in somewhat flaccid? I feel like there should be more excitement around this release.

SweetShark

Ok, the weirdest thing it happened to me.
I was about to start downloading DMC5 as well and suddendly like 10 Steam games wanted update from me.
WTF?

Sweet. Got this game pre-ordered and am ready for Friday. :messenger_sunglasses:

Though...does it kinda feel like this game is coming in somewhat flaccid? I feel like there should be more excitement around this release.

You can't use the word "flaccid" and expect me not to make a dick joke.

I'm not gonna, this time.

This time.

Ok, the weirdest thing it happened to me.
I was about to start downloading DMC5 as well and suddendly like 10 Steam games wanted update from me.
WTF?

My guess....it's the aliens

giphy.gif

I've had an issue with games getting stuck on "update queued" recently and I can't force it. Not sure how to fix this

Javthusiast

Banned
Monster Hunter World, Mega Man 11, Resident Evil 2 and now DMCV. Capcom is back baby.

Dragon's Dogma 2, Onimusha and Dino Crisis next please.

SweetShark

My guess....it's the aliens

giphy.gif

I've had an issue with games getting stuck on "update queued" recently and I can't force it. Not sure how to fix this

Nah, not a problem to me. I just put DMC first in priority.
For the record the games which want update are:
Monster Prom
Shovel Knight
Guilty Gear xrd
Hunt: Showdown
Rime
Watch Dogs 2
Skullgirls
STEIN;GATE Zero

Funny thing happened last night; all the deluxe edition content was under my DMC4SE copy in my library, so when I opened up my extras for DMC4SE I got to download all the Deluxe Edition content for DMC5 except it didn't have the actual DMC5 base game preload. Now I get to download base game. Maybe its just a sorting issue. Even the extras for DMC5 include content I got with DMC4SE.

Last edited:

Shifty

I dunno, one look at the DMC5 playlist on the Devil May Cry youtube channel makes me think Capcom has been going pretty hard on it. Trailers, streams and such aplenty.

Speaking of, we got a new Dante gameplay clip coming in hot:

kingwingin

Was hoping to play through 1 to 4 before this game launched but it feels like february blew past at mach 11 and here we are.

Manus

Loving the early reviews. Also I'm pumped this game is like 15ish hours long. Like the perfect length for a game like this.

Friday get here!!

Airbus Jr

Litigate my emotions, daddy!
so how do you play the dmc game in chronological order?

Only tried DmC so far but that game isnt canon/ part of the series right?

im planning to start from the first game i heard some of the number should be reversed

Last edited:

Shifty

so how do you play the dmc game in chronological order?

Only tried DmC so far but that game isnt canon/ part of the series right?

im planning to start from the first game i heard some of the number should be reversed
3 > 1 > 4 > 2 > 5 is the story progression order.

2 is the worst of the bunch and has a mostly inconsequential story outside of the Dante ending, so nobody would blame you for skipping it.

And indeed, DmC is on its own little timeline.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Litigate my emotions, daddy!
3 > 1 > 4 > 2 > 5 is the story progression order.

2 is the worst of the bunch and has a mostly inconsequential story outside of the Dante ending, so nobody would blame you for skipping it.

And indeed, DmC is on its own little timeline.

Thanks but i dont plan on skipping any of those

i apreciate the help

lifa-cobex

Thanks but i dont plan on skipping any of those

i apreciate the help
He's not kidding.
2 really doesn't add anything to the story and the enemies are really bad on a design and technical level.
I've just gone through the series in the last few weeks and I skipped it myself.

Last edited:

Shifty

He's not kidding.
2 really doesn't add anything to the story and the enemies are really bad on a design and technical level.
I've just gone through the series in the last few weeks and I skipped it myself.
dmc_2_combat.gif

PQq30_.gif

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
Been playing since a few hours now and didnt want to stop, but it’s late and i work tomorrow.
Game feels and looks great
V is an interesting new addition
I saw Lady naked

Top Bottom