• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 4 | Reveal Trailer

What a news to wake up to. I had a great time with Tenkaichi in 2006. Goku’s model is really good. Hopefully the base roster is meaty.

anthony2690

I feel sorry for all the competitors at the dbfz finals last night hoping they were getting dbfz2 and got this instead XD.

Hopefully they get another traditional fighting game in the future.

Reizo Ryuu

At first I thought it was budokai and lost interest almost immediately, but it's tenkaichi! BT2 was really the first time a DB game actually felt like DB fights, the 2d budokai shit never truly captured it.
. I'd definitely trust Cyberconnect 2 more to make a good game... or at least better than Dimps
Uhh not even close, you may want cc2 for the cinematic arena fighters, but absolutely not for an actual fighting game, Dimps has way more experience than them at that.

cireza

Was interesting until I read Tenkaichi. I guess we can't have a good 2D one on one fighter. I will stick with Melty Blood then.

Last edited:

the_master

I have a problem with the environment visuals. Looks like an unreal game with other characters. I wish they could make the environments resemble more the style of the anime

begotten

Budokai Tenkaichi to me is mostly nostalgia for the large rosters, so I would have rather seen 2 or 3 just remade or port them all into a collection for current systems. In hindsight (Budokai 1-3 & Shin Budokai) and looking at DBFZ today, 2D Dragon Ball is just so much better. Kakarot is garbage, so how much better is UT4 going to really be today? It's just name value.

Spyxos

I remember when I think I played part 3 on the Wii and my buddy totally destroyed me because I couldn't handle the weird Wii controls in that game at all. Good times.

I hope it's better than those Xenoverse parts.

I still have a sweet spot for Budokai 3 for introducing me to DBZ, but... Tenkaichi wasn't good, sorry. Just some low-level fanservice (come one now, Bardock's team members who barely ever fought? Pan? Fucking Giru?) with shitty gameplay.
Whelp, guess I just described 90% of anime-based fighters... FighterZ could be the outlier, too bad it's tag-team only.

xClout

super saiyan GIF

DavJay

These type of long franchise layoff doesn’t usually end up well. Tony Hawk 5, shenmue 3, sonic 4, contra 4, MvC 3, etc. A bit worrying

I still have a sweet spot for Budokai 3 for introducing me to DBZ, but... Tenkaichi wasn't good, sorry. Just some low-level fanservice (come one now, Bardock's team members who barely ever fought? Pan? Fucking Giru?) with shitty gameplay.
This is exactly what the fans want though lol we want to play as every single Dragon Ball character ever in a fairly sub-standard arena fighter and we want to play out every single scenario that either happened or could have happened. You don't understand because you got introduced to it through Budokai 3 instead of watching the show every week.

I just hope for something that is playably bad (Tenkaichi) and not unplayably bad (Xenoverse)

Budokai 3 was a better game. But none of them were really good fighting games. Also, man, remember Budokai 2 and its weird board game setup... ugh.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

With dbz kakarot and xenoverse around, this feels a bit redundant.
kakarot is not a fighting game, it's an rpg with the typical CC2 arena combat that's all about looking flashy and cinematic
Xenoverse maybe a little, since it's built on the tenkaichi formula, but it's definitely it's own thing with the create a character focus, multi-character combat and 'elseworld' stories being told, though at it's core it's the most "fighting game" out of the three, since dimps has way more experience making actual fighting games compared to CC2 or spike.
Tenkaichi 4 will just straight up be a fighting game that follows the DB story arcs.

kakarot is not a fighting game, it's an rpg with the typical CC2 arena combat that's all about looking flashy and cinematic
Xenoverse maybe a little, since it's built on the tenkaichi formula, but it's definitely it's own thing with the create a character focus, multi-character combat and 'elseworld' stories being told, though at it's core it's the most "fighting game" out of the three, since dimps has way more experience making actual fighting games compared to CC2 or spike.
Tenkaichi 4 will just straight up be a fighting game that follows the DB story arcs.

There was also raging blast who took tenkaichi's place for a while.
I played all 3 tenkaichis and those had what ifs too. 3 for sure, not sure about the first 2, it's been a while.
What I'm trying to say is that there's definitely been more attempts to replace or bring back that arena style of game during the years, rather than with the original budokai, who only got burst limit as a spiritual successor back in 2008 and then nothing.
Would be nice if one day they also make budokai 4.

blackjon24

Can someone tell me what is the difference between tenkachi and raging blast? I've played both series and I always saw raging blast as a successor.

Essentially why is this budokai tenkachi 4 when it could have been raging blast 3? Is it just a more bankable name?

Fake

Can someone tell me what is the difference between tenkachi and raging blast? I've played both series and I always saw raging blast as a successor.

Essentially why is this budokai tenkachi 4 when it could have been raging blast 3? Is it just a more bankable name?

Budokai Tenkashi have story mode based on the anime, have slot itens, challenges based on the DB story (Master Karin challenge, Kamisama tower, Cell tournament, duo tag challenge).
They triad to sell Raging Blast as a Budokai Tenkaishi sucessor, but the game lacks a enormous amount of content in comparison with BT2.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who just wants Capcom to make a DBZ game that plays similar to Street Fighter? I could never get into these Bandai games

Doom85

Am I the only one who just wants Capcom to make a DBZ game that plays similar to Street Fighter? I could never get into these Bandai games

I mean, Dragonball FighterZ is a proper fighting game. If you mean with the gameplay speed of Street Fighter, then no. I love Street Fighter, but their movement speed would not match the feel of DBZ and beyond. Maybe some of OG Dragonball, but by the time Piccolo shows up, they’re all moving way too fast for a Street Fighter gameplay speed experience.

FeralEcho

Over the shoulder fighters are absolute garbage.Imagine having a perfect DBZ game like FighterZ and not expanding on it with a sequel.Instead we get Discount Budokai.

If it was Budokai 4 that would be awesome but it's the discount version of it so pass.

pepodmc_

Neo Member

ranging blast is super slow and stiff compared with tenkaichi 3.

pepodmc_

Neo Member
With dbz kakarot and xenoverse around, this feels a bit redundant.

There are a lot of people giving opinions that are simply wrong.

Even dragon ball fighterz fans that says that fighterz is a great game when its super broken, more than marvel vs capcom even.
But its understandable, its a marvel vs capcom semi clone with one or two new mechanics here and there.

begotten

More of 100 characters in the roster!!!

10 gokus
10 vegetas
5 Gohans
4 Trunks
3 brolys
5 cells
5 Majin boos

This was the problem with 2 and 3. Heaps of characters but everyone only played Kid Buu, Teen Gohan and GT characters.

I wonder if 4 will be ridiculously unbalanced also.

I hope this game is worthy of the budokai tenkaichi name. Spent many, many evenings with buddies in college playing the crap out of those games.

What I expect is Xenoverse 3 with a name change to draw in old bastards like me.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Look at this Roster.... The same character repeated more than 4 times. And that they are totally different games. :messenger_neutral::messenger_neutral::messenger_neutral::messenger_neutral:

d9hi8sy-ba0f497f-a26f-4305-9d88-dac220ddbe9e.png

dbfz-character-select-screen-march-2021.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

PLUS

SAINT SEIYA IS WORSE

sddefault.jpg

Last edited:

wvnative

I remember when I think I played part 3 on the Wii and my buddy totally destroyed me because I couldn't handle the weird Wii controls in that game at all. Good times.

I hope it's better than those Xenoverse parts.

It had classic controller and gamecube controller support.

Top Bottom