• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dyack: "NeoGAF...I would say is probably the worst forum." Response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
lolol @ the idea of not being able to call something that looks like shit, "shit."
lolol @ the idea that somehow Too Human is the only game given this roast treatment
lolol @ the idea that now that it is proved the game is shit, that we still should have reserved that statement for GAMERANKINGS REVIEWS TO TELL US SO. b-b-but "you guys should have bet on 50% or less, isn't that the mark of a TRUE shitty game? 60% is AVERAGE or above, definitely not shit hurr hurr"

FightyF reserves day career for Dyack rimjobbing

THE LESSON: If you don't want hardcore gamer's to call your game shit, don't release nothing but shit to promote your game. Hardcore Gamers pick up on mediocrity and crappiness from MILES away, and they WILL pile on. Lesson learned.

Witchfinder General said:
Great job, EviLore; every time this forum has a chance of becoming a valid mouthpiece of critical analysis and a true forum of exchange between those who make the games and those who play them you manage again to piss it away with such petty ramblings.

Dennis broke the cardinal rule; you don't respond to criticism. But this came not from a PR representative of the company, or one of the bean counters, this came from the prime architect of the game itself. As unprofessional as that may seem, it's perfectly understandable for one to protect something they've been nurturing for so many years.

This sets a bad precedent; if f developer or other member of the trade has to be careful not to upset the establishment then ultimately freedom of speech will be restricted and gaming as a whole will suffer. David Jaffe himself has posted in this thread stating that he limits himself to simple, friendly exchanges between forum members. Maybe he wants to address criticisms levelled against him or the gaming community and maybe he doesn't. It's a moot point now because he and many others are going to have to watch their proverbial tongues not to say so as not to suffer the same fate as Dennis.

Is that really a healthy forum?

This is also a slight to those who are supporters of Silicon Knights and their games and whom respect what Dennis and his team have created. Dennis has always taken the time to answer questions on his games. But now that he's 'broken the rules' we the fans have to suffer. Yes, yes, we could easily take our questions to another forum, but is that ultimately how we want things to work? People swallowing their support and moving elsewhere to escape derision and persecution?

I really hope it doesn't come to that, although we seem to be there.

EviLore, in your salvo at the start of this thread you use Dennis' favourite Nietzsch quote "he who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster" against him.

It seems you should take heed yourself.

Very good post. Couldn't agree more.

2 Minutes Turkish said:
This is spot on in so many ways it's not funny.

Except for the fact Denis came here to start shit. How is neogaf/evilore supposed to respond to that? He called out the forum to stand up and be counted. Seems like he started a fight he wasn't willing to finish, tried to use some big words and grand ideas to backpedal and wouldn't even man up to the bet put to him. Obviously noone is blameless in this mess, but I really don't see how evilore is in the wrong, or should be ashamed of the way he's handled things.

Azar

Sometimes a healthy dose of e-drama is just...good for the soul.

Hopefully he'll take the negative reception his game has received to heart and make something better. Probably won't change his bizarre ravings in the press about NeoGAF though.

Dalauz

David Jaffe said:
but I tend to think the influence of hard core sites like this help bring a more obscure game up into the more semi-hard core consciousness- which in turn- will help sales. I do not see it working in the opposite direction.

/thread.

Lykathea

Banned
So you banned him because he has revealed the not so well hidden truth of NeoGAF (i.e. fanboy, hive-mind haven, where valid criticism is allowed only if it slants in a particular direction--and always away from the GAF itself?). Good job.

Barrett2

Great job, EviLore; every time this forum has a chance of becoming a valid mouthpiece of critical analysis and a true forum of exchange between those who make the games and those who play them you manage again to piss it away with such petty ramblings.

Dennis broke the cardinal rule; you don't respond to criticism. But this came not from a PR representative of the company, or one of the bean counters, this came from the prime architect of the game itself. As unprofessional as that may seem, it's perfectly understandable for one to protect something they've been nurturing for so many years.

This sets a bad precedent; if a developer or other member of the trade has to be careful not to upset the establishment then ultimately freedom of speech will be restricted and gaming as a whole will suffer. David Jaffe himself has posted in this thread stating that he limits himself to simple, friendly exchanges between forum members. Maybe he wants to address criticisms levelled against him or the gaming community and maybe he doesn't. It's a moot point now because he and many others are going to have to watch their proverbial tongues not to say so as not to suffer the same fate as Dennis.

This is also a slight to those who are supporters of Silicon Knights and their games and whom respect what Dennis and his team have created. Dennis has always taken the time to answer questions on his games. But now that he's 'broken the rules' we the fans have to suffer. Yes, yes, we could easily take our questions to another forum, but is that ultimately how we want things to work? People swallowing their support and moving elsewhere to escape derision and persecution?

EviLore, in your salvo at the start of this thread you use Dennis' favourite Nietzsch quote "he who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster" against him.

No offense, but the phrase "free speech" has no application whatsoever to this situation. NeoGAF is a private organization, banning Denis for his stupid antics don't have a damn thing to do with anyone's "free speech."

Also, banning Dyack doesn't force other devs to 'moderate' what they say on GAF, because no reasonable person would honestly expect to do what Dyack has done and still be a member of that organization.

This was probably said already in a much more eloquent way...but how is this post attacking Denis any better than him attacking this place?

The sad thing is Denis has a motivating factor to defend his game (even though it's clearly gotten to a point of delusion): he's got a game to sell. What is the reason for the OP and blowing up over a few choice words from him about a website? I think it's clear which one is worse.

FightyF

Banned
Beezy said:
Sounds exaclty like what you guys have been doing to Evilore in this thread.

Touche.

I have nothing to gain from criticizing Evilore's decision. I have a lot to lose (been posting on GAF since 97/98). But I know that he's a reasonable guy, which is why many of us here are able to post how we feel and not get banned for it.

I know that every single person here would agree with me that calling the game "shit" without playing it is something that this forum should not and typically hasn't condoned.

That is the basis of my argument here. This situation got out of control because when there was an opportunity to control it like any other thread, particular mods turned a blind eye.

Why is it that any game thats not AAA is shit? Are we really in a society where everything below AAA games are shit? I say this because this happens anytime a game gets any scores lower then a 7. Its like we really only grade on 2 points. Your either awesome or shit. How come there can never be a middle ground?

Blackface

Banned
Amir0x said:
lolol @ the idea of not being able to call something that looks like shit, "shit."
lolol @ the idea that somehow Too Human is the only game given this roast treatment
lolol @ the idea that now that it is proved the game is shit, that we still should have reserved that statement for GAMERANKINGS REVIEWS TO TELL US SO. b-b-but "you guys should have bet on 50% or less, isn't that the mark of a TRUE shitty game? 60% is AVERAGE or above, definitely not shit hurr hurr"

THE LESSON: If you don't want hardcore gamer's to call your game shit, don't release nothing but shit to promote your game. Hardcore Gamers pick up on mediocrity and crappiness from MILES away, and they WILL pile on. Lesson learned.

Babies. Lets make some.

Baha

FightyF said:
Touche.

I have nothing to gain from criticizing Evilore's decision. I have a lot to lose (been posting on GAF since 97/98). But I know that he's a reasonable guy, which is why many of us here are able to post how we feel and not get banned for it.

I know that every single person here would agree with me that calling the game "shit" without playing it is something that this forum should not and typically hasn't condoned.

That is the basis of my argument here. This situation got out of control because when there was an opportunity to control it like any other thread, particular mods turned a blind eye.

Agreed. Seeing how things turned out though, I think we (this forum and dyack) should take jaffe's advice and learn from our mistakes.

Especially Dyack though.

Amir0x

Banned
FightyF said:

Your premise is factually false. And that's really the start and end of your argument. You start with a flawed premise, and end with one.

We are constantly calling games shit that look like shit months in advance of release. AS a mod with a bit of a FINGER TO THE PULSE of moderation policy, I can tell you for a fact: There's no banning for that, provided the criticism is founded in some sort of logical, thought out basis. Which most of the Too Human criticism has been. I personally have gone in length before to provide my feelings on what the game was doing wrong prior to release.

When a game looks like shit, we're going to call it shit. Provided you can explain why you think it's shit, this is not a bannable offense.

At some point it goes "too far", and whether this was the case here is the only thing that is up for debate. My feeling is you poor Too Human defenders have a bit of a persecution complex.

MGrant

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Why is it that any game thats not AAA is shit? Are we really in a society where everything below a AAA game is shit? I say this because this happens anytime a game gets any scores lower then a 7. Its like we really only grade on 2 points. Your either awesome or shit. How come there can never be a middle ground.

Many reasons, one being that gaming is expensive, which makes less-than-great games sting that much more. Another reason, of course, is the pan-dimensional hype that this game received for the last 10 years or so.

KTallguy

Banned
David Jaffe himself has posted in this thread stating that he limits himself to simple, friendly exchanges between forum members. Maybe he wants to address criticisms levelled against him or the gaming community and maybe he doesn't. It's a moot point now because he and many others are going to have to watch their proverbial tongues not to say so as not to suffer the same fate as Dennis.

Jaffe has responded to criticism of his games on NeoGAF.

The difference is that Dyack talked his game up like it's the second coming, and continues to blame anything and everyone around him for the game's failings.

Jaffe has contributed to the forum in a tasteful manner, and offered rebuttals on points that users brought up. Dyack made a thread saying that if his game was critically acclaimed that we should have "owned by Denis Dyack" as our tags. When Evilore offered up real money for charity, he was told to "put up or shut up".

Personally, I think there was no room for rational debate to begin with.

When you put out marketing/pr videos, screenshots, etc., you put yourself at the mercy of the internet. PR has to present the game in a way that will get people excited. Videos of Too Human did the opposite, and ridicule of the game's shortcomings began. It's really difficult to argue with video.

Apologists for Dyack need to look at all the perspectives.

1. SK Team - Tried their best to make a good game under Denis. Obviously they had a bumpy road.
2. Denis Dyack - Cares a lot about his title, but talks it up to be something that it wasn't. He responded poorly to criticism, which lead to a thread created by him as a 'social experiment' -> More ridicule.
3. Some GAF users - Ridiculed later media of Too Human that was released, that showed bad animation and dialog. Later, when Denis started to talk up his game and also condemn NeoGAF in several different media venues, GIFs were made. Personal attacks against Denis were made, but most, if not all of the people making those attacks were banned.
4. Other GAF users - Excited about the potential of the game after seeing said media. Vow to purchase.

GAF is not at fault here. The media was made available, and we expressed our opinion.
GAF doesn't deserve to be moderated differently or shut down because of this.
GAF is a safe haven for developers who want to participate in a community of people who love games.

SPEA

Amir0x said:

Just curious, do you talk like that it in real life?

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Why is it that any game thats not AAA is shit? Are we really in a society where everything below a AAA game is shit?
GAF has generally thought like this for as long as I've been here, and there is really no changing it. I've learned to accept it, because usually in specific game-focused threads you can avoid getting bombarded with the black and white "it's AAA or it's garbage not worth my time" mentality.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
FightyF said:

Most pre-game commentary on games here revolves around released media.

i.e. "these screenshots look like shit"

"this video looks like shit"

"that animation looks like shit"

"that video doesn't really make the game look fun"

etc.

Commenting on what we're shown is fair game. Making a final judgment on a game before playing it doesn't make a lot of sense, obviously, but we can comment on what's shown. Most people also obviously can't make a 'final judgment on the whole game' in the case of most games, because there's only so much time one has to play games, and one has to pick and choose. And that's usually a process helped along by pre-release media/coverage/reviews etc.

edit - and as Amirox says, one is expected to back up their point even if it just pertains to pre-release media or the like. A lot of what was shown of TH, that I saw anyway, didn't seem very impressive to me and had a number of identifiable issues that people pointed out.

GAF goes through a process of pre-release media discussion with every game, with judgments pronounced on that media. And LOTS of games have been wee-ed all over in that period - some have latterly redeemed themselves upon release, some have not. TH wasn't a special case. If it became a target of sharper criticism it was only because of DD's approach to that criticism.

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Except for the fact Denis came here to start shit. How is neogaf/evilore supposed to respond to that? He called out the forum to stand up and be counted. Seems like he started a fight he wasn't willing to finish, tried to use some big words and grand ideas to backpedal and wouldn't even man up to the bet put to him. Obviously noone is blameless in this mess, but I really don't see how evilore is in the wrong, or should be ashamed of the way he's handled things.

As I said earlier. Isn't that the sort of stuff we love here?

Take the Jeff Bell thread for example, very similar situation and that thread was epic and hilarious. Isn't that what we want? It's far more entertaining that numbers of people just ragging on a game with aplomb simply to look cool with no response from the devs themselves.

I think it's great this forum has members who are devs that respond to our criticisms/praise etc. Absolutely great.

Zoe

TheLegendary said:
The sad thing is Denis has a motivating factor to defend his game (even though it's clearly gotten to a point of delusion): he's got a game to sell. What is the reason for the OP and blowing up over a few choice words from him about a website? I think it's clear which one is worse.

Too Human is to Dyack as NeoGAF is to EvilLore.

Why is that so difficult for people to get? If Dyack wants to see a forum operate in a certain way, then he should stick with his own forums.

its already been said - everythings already been said about this - but i think dyack was in an unhealthy environment for so long and flipped. but i think he is sort of right. not just about GAF per se but about the internets in general. in some ways gaf takes the most intellectual approach, but at the same time its so hiveminded and it devolves into stupidity - not gamefaqs stupidity, but just how people assimiliate their opinions around everybody else's comfort zone

sprocket

Banned
gofreak said:
Most pre-game commentary on games here revolves around released media.

i.e. "these screenshots look like shit"

"this video looks like shit"

"that animation looks like shit"

"that video doesn't really make the game look fun"

etc.

Welcome to the internet. A place for all to hate all.

RavenFox

Banned
Yup Im late and 22 pages in but the pure ownage in the OP deserves the love of Raven.

Raven approves
logo_raven.gif

FightyF

Banned
gofreak said:
Making a final judgment on a game before playing it doesn't make a lot of sense, obviously, but we can comment on what's shown.

Exactly. That's all I'm saying here.

You can say that what has been shown looks bad, but to make any final judgment without even touching a controller, that's completely nonsensical.

And that's what I'm talking about here.

Mamesj

Banned
RavenFox said:
Yup Im late and 22 pages in but the pure ownage in the OP deserves the love of Raven.

Raven approves
logo_raven.gif

Raven software in solidarity? oh shi--- you guys deserve some free hummus from med cafe

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive

'he who fights monsters should take care lest he become one himself'

'oh yeah well he who fights they who have become monsters by carelessly fighting monsters should take care lest he too becomes a monster'

'oh yeah well monsters who fight they who fight monsters should take care lest they become double monsters'

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Why is it that any game thats not AAA is shit? Are we really in a society where everything below AAA games are shit? I say this because this happens anytime a game gets any scores lower then a 7. Its like we really only grade on 2 points. Your either awesome or shit. How come there can never be a middle ground?

Maybe we should move to a "color of shit" review system where the degrees of brown/green/whatever dictate how crappy a game is.

Seriously though ... the reviews this game has been getting are quite far from AAA. I would venture to say somewhere around "deep brown with corn chunks" is right on with said shit color scale.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
sprocket said:
Welcome to the internet. A place for all to hate all.

Well, it's not all like that :p I was just using the context of TH.

Though many people are often binary about their opinion on media. i.e. either looks great or looks bad. But some people accomodate more shades of grey. It's not part of the TOS that people have to say games either look shit or look great.

KTallguy

Banned
FightyF said:

You can say that what has been shown looks bad, but to make any final judgment without even touching a controller, that's completely nonsensical.

Dude, if you watch a trailer for a movie, and the trailer looks stupid and crappy, is it the fault of the viewer to assume that the actual movie will be crappy too?

Just in case: NO!

2 Minutes Turkish said:
As I said earlier. Isn't that the sort of stuff we love here?

Take the Jeff Bell thread for example, very similar situation and that thread was epic and hilarious. Isn't that what we want? It's far more entertaining that numbers of people just ragging on a game with aplomb simply to look cool with no response from the devs themselves.

I think it's great this forum has members who are devs that respond to our criticisms/praise etc. Absolutely great.

I absolutely agree the trolling of Too Human went unchecked and unmodded for to long. But Denis should have responded like Jaffe or the tons of other dev's who don't freak out and threaten to shut the place down.

I feel like Evilore has been more than gracious and mature during this entire fiasco. This thread was deserved 10x over and will probably end up being quite a catharsis for neogaf.

maxax

Fenderputty said:
Maybe we should move to a "color of shit" review system where the degrees of brown/green/whatever dictate how crappy a game is.

Seriously though ... the reviews this game has been getting are quite far from AAA. I would venture to say somewhere around "deep brown with corn chunks" is right on with said shit color scale.
Are corn chunks like a + or a - on 1UPs review scale?

This sets a bad precedent; if f developer or other member of the trade has to be careful not to upset the establishment then ultimately freedom of speech will be restricted and gaming as a whole will suffer. David Jaffe himself has posted in this thread stating that he limits himself to simple, friendly exchanges between forum members. Maybe he wants to address criticisms levelled against him or the gaming community and maybe he doesn't. It's a moot point now because he and many others are going to have to watch their proverbial tongues not to say so as not to suffer the same fate as Dennis.

Very well said, and 100% agreed.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
FightyF said:

Right, but I just want to get across that the process of pre-release discussion of games is like that. And it's not necessarily damning a game one way or another prior to release, in a general sense. I've seen games be a bit crapped all over when they're first shown (or, more specifically, their screenshots/video), but that pull themselves together over the course of their development and emerge to a good reception here. That can happen.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
TheLegendary said:
This was probably said already in a much more eloquent way...but how is this post attacking Denis any better than him attacking this place?

How about him giving the site a bad reputation?

I know I for one don't want this place to be known as the next Gamefaqs or IGN boards as both those forums are downright terrible.

FightyF said:

Yeah, umm so one of the benefits of being human as opposed to say a dung beetle is that we can learn and make judgments on things without actually having to do the thing. I can watch someone else jump off a cliff and die and decide maybe jumping off a cliff is a stupid thing to do without actually having try it myself. I could even watch video of people jumping off cliffs or get commentary from expert cliff jumpers who only barely survived and make a judgment based solely on that. So no, it's actually not at all nonsensical. Neat how that works huh?

Kifimbo

While GAF have been hard on him, as a professional, there's just no excuse for what he did.

Instead of taking members criticism seriously or simply ignored them, he basically told us that we couldn't critic his game because we hadn't play it. He told us to shut up. He then told us that we were bad for society. He wanted to close GAF. And now he says we are stupid, since we don't understand how innovative his game is. And at the same time he was still hanging around here, promoting his game.

So he basically said "F you" to a lot of potentiel customers.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm so extremely tired of this Dyack saga right about now. This better be the final episode because I'm not sure if i'm willing to watch the next season

While I agree that historically to 'moderate' is to be impartial by definition - the realm of forums and the need for boundaries change that dictionary dichotomy. ANd the need to control is much different than pre-internet era adjustment.

This is not a valid mouthpiece of analytical criticism - and it never will be, thankfully. It is what it is. A forum of people discussing something they love very much with great fervor. These discussions and critical analysis are for themselves - NOT for the masses or whomever you wish to validate GAF criticism. That is the beauty of GAF...

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
None of this would have happened if his E306 demo wasn't so damn crappy. But that was MS's and Epics fault now wasn't it Dennis? He has tried to pass the buck for his crap game to everyone BUT the illuminati..

and himself.

Amir0x said:

This needs to be in the FAQ and Terms of Service.

Fenderputty said:

So obviously the scores that are higher are just written by people with shit eating grins on their face?

GSG Flash said:
How about him giving the site a bad reputation?

I know I for one don't want this place to be known as the next Gamefaqs or IGN boards as both those forums are downright terrible.

i don;t think you'd have to worry about that. gamefaqs and its progeny is inhabited by people with downs syndrome or something

gaf - to my understanding - has the reputation of having intellectual discourse but at the same time there's really no denying the hivemind aspect. some say *cough* differences of opinion aren't really welcome. its had that reputation for awhile now and it'll keep having that reputation. i don't think dyacks wigging out is really going to change that for better or worse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom