• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2009 Nintendo Conference Thread

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Good job with Nintendo doing something with proper games at the very end, but start till then? Come on man.

Some of the things there were shown for the second E3 in a row. And the Vitality Sensor? They already appealed to insecure folks with Wii Fit, now they are going for broke with that now - they are just taking advantage of those sort of people now...

The crowd was so dead that people had to make up some lousy excuse about the mic feed not picking up applause - no guy, the crowd was just dead. So full of awkward silences that I was feeling bad for the ones onstage.

That conference did nothing to appeal to me, who was totally turned off from their casual mentality with the Wii despite owning practically every Nintendo console including the Gamecube & the DS + DS Lite.

Metroid Another M? Sure it's Team Ninja, but it's a Team Ninja without Itagaki - the same Team Ninja that has Ryu Hayabusa, a super-ninja, wielding a damn shotgun in Sigma 2 in a screenshot I saw this morning.

Yeah, no.

tabsina

easily best conference thus far.. if you think about it in terms of surprises..

i almost flipped when i heard golden sun ds

Woffls

The fuck? That was a good showing, fucking haters are never happy unless they see Zelda and Mario in the same conference and someone boots Cammie in the face.

I really hope Galaxy is this year, they don't need more than 2 years on a game whose engine and assets are almost completely there; though, this is Nintendo and they do things properly.

bluehat9

I really wish NSMBWii had a level editor. It doesn't need to be like LBP, just let me put some gaps, blocks, warp pipes, and enemies around and I'd have been good.

GhaleonQ

sevenchaos said:
So basically Nintendo lacked a nice third party showing (big surprise).

And they actually have the games in 2009 to do so. *shrugs* At least Ubisoft got a platform with which to deliver shovelware.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Don't forget awesomeness like Sin and Punishment 2 is on the floor!

irfan said:
Fuck off Nintendo. The gimmick hardware, casual non-games etc. I'm jumping in on a 360 this fall.

You mad?

I'm sure Nintendo is saddened by the loss of a fan. They'll hate to replace you with a couple thousand casuals.

DanteFox said:
For a second I thought it would be a new futuristic IP by nintendo, then I heard the guy say

"Any objections lady?"

I was like O.O

Then it hit me when I saw the metroid armor.

SAMUS IS BACK MUH*****AS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I didn't catch that. Oh shit, they're finally going to show the story behind Adam. Hype x infinity
The crowd was so dead that people had to make up some lousy excuse about the mic feed not picking up applause - no guy, the crowd was just dead. So full of awkward silences that I was feeling bad for the ones onstage.
In their defense, there was no clapping for Golden Sun DS.

Teknoman

I dont get it.

MS had an equal amount of games already seen, stuff that was underwhelming, and im not even sure what the omg yay was (aside from MGS: Rising, which wasnt even shown and Splinter Cell). Yet people flood the chat with the conference being better than Nintendo?

Whats up with that GAF?

Was a terrible conference until they announced Golden Sun. Seeing Team Ninja's little intro play before the Metroid game definitely got me pumped though. It redeemed the conference somewhat, but overall, the conference it self was still pretty terrible.

Here's my score card so far:

Microsoft: A
Nintendo: A- (points deducted for vitality sensor, seriously wtf is that?)
Sony: C+ (predicted)

Branduil

Jamesfrom818 said:
When is GAF going to realize that Nintendo conferences are usually geared toward the mainstream media? They already know the hardcores of GAF will be jerking off to a live feed from home and F5ing the major blogs and websites.
You're asking GAF to realize it's not the center of the gaming universe. It will never happen.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
JodyAnthony said:
nintendo owns my wallet again

nsmb wii
mario galaxy 2
metroid
wii sports resort
wii fit plus

golden sun ds
mario & luigi rpg 3

all will be mine

You're part of the problem :\

RyuKanSan

Wow. Microsoft conference didn't really connect with me. The games were good but Natal threw it off.

Nintendo, New Super Mario Bros. Wii looks cool, will get and play with my friends. Its 4p co-op jump in jump out gameplay. Would've liked gameplay on FFCC:CB. Golden Sun is awesome, but I want it on the Wii damnit. Galaxy 2 is gonna rock and the new Metroid look incredible. Sure they had boring stuff, but look at Microsoft's the boring part was Natal after getting over the omg full motion without controller.

what a great conference i stopped listening after Mario Galaxy 2 announcement because nintendo had allready won my hearth with yoshi :>

so far:
Microsoft: C- (to many shooters and games aimed at 12-18 year old kids that want to blow things up, -1 grade for waggle and the beatles)
Nintendo: A

Jax said:
yup.

3/10

very underwhelming.

No Pikmin3. they're lying about it all along. it was the wii control pikmin games.

Yes. Because they didn't show at Pikmin 3 they are clearly not making it. Use your fucking brain before you post again, Jax.

At least it was better than Ubisoft's. At least Nintendo had SOMETHING new to show. Jesus Christ what was Ubi thinking? Nintendo actually BEAT them. Even with all of their bullshit.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I honestly think the best thing for this year's conference was that last year's was so damn bad. Expecttations were so low that all Nintendo had to do was announce any new installment in one of their franchises and fanboys would've gon crazy. Truly, though, this conference was TERRIBLE. SMG2 and M:OM look great, but those are two games. TWO!!!! And both look to be coming out in 2010. SMG2 looks like more of the same (which is a good thing), and I'm interest in seeing what Team Ninja can do with metroid, but that's a huge question mark. Yeah, I know, what about NSMBWii. Honestly, I wasn't too impressed, but oh well. Besides that, though, there wasn't much on the Wii front. Sometimes I think Nintendo fans' expectations are wayyyyy too low.

I just hope this doesn't mean the end of "Prime-like" Metroids. Actually, the "wii-fied" Prime trilogy is my most anticipated release on any console.

Well I agree that this PC was freaking boring, only 2 first party games announced,but the game announcements were great for me.

I would gave it a 7/10, but no Kirby and STARFOX i'll give it a 5.

Nice GS3, it really came out of nowhere :D

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Blader5489 said:
Reggie just said on G4 that Retro is hard at a work on something they can't unveil yet.

That HAS to be Zelda. We've heard absolutely nothing about Zelda Wii OR Retro for ages. I'm guessing it's because they're working on it.

Ironballs

So let's see, we for new announcements we got:

• Mario Galaxy 2
  • NSMB Wii
  • Mario vs. DK 3
  • Golden Sun DS
  • Metroid Other M

Plus stuff we already knew about like:

• Zelda Spirit tracks
  • Mario & Luigi 3
  • New WarioWare
  • FF Crystal Bearers
  • Kingdom Hearts DS

And then we're still leaving out stuff that wasn't at the conference that we know will be on the show floor, like Sin & Punishment 2 and Red Steel 2. Nintendo heard the complaints from last year and addressed them. They even spent time talking about RPGs, FFS. Trolls need to either GTFO, or just accept that they don't like Nintendo anymore and move on. I mean, what were you people seriously expecting?

Somnid

So now we're grading on timescales? As if Microsoft's slow burn made any difference in overall quality. Nintendo made plenty of new announcements.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Did you actually watch the first 45 minutes?
Oh, it was fucking terrible for the first 45 but at least they showed some interesting stuff at the end. Know that my expectations are ridiculously low for Nintendo at this point, 1 or 2 Wii games are something, I rely on the other companies for most of my home gaming gaming.

Edit : I would say Microsoft A-, Nintendo B- (almost a C+ for that vitality sensor bullshit)

Barrett2

I would be lying if I said Galaxy 2 and pervert-company-Metroid looked anything other than amazing.

However, its a sad commentary that all Nintendo has to do is announce two good games and people are jizzing themselves. Compared with the onslaught of amazing games that could be on their platforms; the continue to starve us. But still..... Metroid DOES look amazing.

psy18

I like

Super Mario Wii
Wii Sport Resort
Zelda Spirit Track
Mario RPG Bowser Inside Story
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Metroid Mother (oh yeah)

So that's 6 games. Not bad at all actually compared to MS....

JaMarco

Jamesfrom818 said:
When is GAF going to realize that Nintendo conferences are usually geared toward the mainstream media? They already know the hardcores of GAF will be jerking off to a live feed from home and F5ing the major blogs and websites.
Exactly. This two years in a row pretty much confirmed it.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I thought Wi Sports Resort, Metroid : Other M (this especially) and Super Mario Galaxy 2 were all kinds of awesome.

Plus there is like a metric ton of third party goodness coming out soon. Good times!

le.phat

some decent megaton announcement, but seriously, what a fucking horrrrrrrrrrrible 50 minute snorefest. great last minute announcements, overall super drag. 6/10 overall.

Blader5489 said:
uh hello? if 90% of the conference is crap then that means the conference overall was crap

Galaxy 2 and Metroid M are cool, but they don't make for a mostly terrible conference

Ya think? I'd say at the end of the day, do the positives outweigh the negatives...and in Nintendo's show, hell yeah. In a major way.

The muck doesn't matter - they showed off some exciting stuff.

dude

dude
I don't even get what the Vitality Sensor does, I mean, sure - it monitors my heart rate and stuff, but what does it DO? How does it use my heart rate? Can I use my pulse to play? What kind of need made someone invent this?

The questions... I'm just so confused. This is the most puzzling announcement ever.

EDIT: Also, I expect rumors of Miyamoto dying of cancer soon.

Top Bottom