• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2009 Nintendo Conference Thread

.GqueB.

Banned
RyuKanSan said:
I don't get it either. We knew about Alan Wake, FF13, Tony Hawk etc. Splinter Cell was really good since they re-tooled it. CoD we knew about. So I agree wit you.
Nintendo talked to much and was boring. They werent even excited about their own products. Cammie was dull as shit. MS put on a good show WHILE showing games. They got people excited.

You cant just "show" games. You have to "present" them. Nintendo showed a bunch of games that people werent excited about to begin with and they made no real attempt to get people excited about them.

On stage demos were extremely limited as well.

And I say again... they TALKED to damn much.

ultim8p00

Banned
MS: 9/10 Could have been a flawless victory if they showed Perfect Dark 2 which I know they have. Bastards.

Nintendo: 7.5/10 Terrible conference. Metroid Gaiden single handedly elevated this from a 2/10 to a 7.5/10.

pr0cs

A lot better conference for them than last year.
But sadly I didn't see much in there for someone who doesn't already own a Wii, still little reason to buy one if you're not a big fan of their IPs.
At least they didn't have Wii Music 2 or something nearly as terrible as last year.

anaron

Nintendo's conference was....alright. It really did get a boost from Metroid but overall it was rather underwhelming.

fortified_concept said:
I say

Microsoft conference: 7/10
Nintendo conference: 6/10

Microsoft didn't have the surprises Nintendo had and they didn't announce any new exclusives for 2009 as I was hoping but Nintendo conference royally sucked for 90% of its duration while Microsoft's was solid.
so if MS had kept Forza 3 and other games secret, it would have been a better conference? surprises make that much of a difference for you?

ugh.

Chinner said:
so the difference between being 'solid' and 'royally sucked' is 1 point? you are the ign of ratings.

:lol Fine, Nintendo conference 5/10

Afterall I'm rating conferences not consoles. And the Nintendo conference had the two announcements at the end that kinda made you forget how awful it was.

Model 500 said:
Very professional show from Nintendo. Bill and Reggie are a great team. Cammie did her job well too, that's a nice change. The BIG N stays rock solid in the 1st place.
I think this is important. So far the two conferences demonstrate that the status quo will remain largely unchanged for the immediate future. Nintendo's lead remains huge and the only potential game-changer Microsoft has (Natal) is still a long way off. Both put out very solid presentations, so nothing that will order the great order of things.

Unless Sony unleashes something that changes everything. Which they won't.

Teknoman said:
Why would MS score higher? Unless you guys mean the way the conference was organized. MS showed actual gameplay for like... 2-3 games, and the rest were either CG trailers or "Casual Stuff".
2-3 games? I guess you didn't actually watch it.

Ranger X

You guys are fucking nuts and also a bunch of whiners.

What matters is the games. I can't care less if the conference was good or not of if there was casual stuff or not.

All I care is that this Nintendo conference told me about like 5 titles I want to buy. Nintendo DID deliver and the bar is high now with both Microsoft and Nintendo.

Sony, fasten your seatbelt! You better impress me at least equally!!

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Crackdown 2 > This entire conference tbqh (To be expected)

Still, it got progressively better. I think they would've really done better if they showed SMB Wii right before SMG2

If they went from SMB Wii -> SMG 2 -> M.O.M

It would've been pretty damn nice.

6/10, Microsoft with a solid 8/10.

I think Microsoft had a very solid game show going on, along with great demos. Splinter Cell Conviction, Alan Wake, (CRACKDOWN 2), L4D2, and other stuff was great, the Beatles intro was bad and too drawn out, and the Xbox Live+Other Shit integration was nice and well presented. The whole Natal thing was a little bit more weird and "o_O" than amazing.

At this point, I think Sony will either be the worst or the best.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
sevenchaos said:
I swear I heard cheers at the Golden Sun announcement.

Still believe Reggie is the only acceptable presenter for Nintendo. Cammy is as fake as you can get. Just like that stupid Microsoft guy yesterday coming out for MGS announcement.

And they should cheer for it too!! they also cheered for Metroid and Galaxy, it was almost funny because I said to myself "looks like they're still awake". Seriously before those announcements there was literally no crowd reaction.

MechaX

After stepping back and calming down from my Metroid-high, I'd have to give the conference a B.

I simply do not comprehend how people can think this is the worst conference out of 2009, let alone the worst conference ever. Ubisoft's conference already stole that title single-handedly, and the fact that there was no awkward Wii Music/Ravi Drums demos pretty much sealed that deal. It's not quite to the level of Microsoft's conference overall, but it definitely had bigger surprises than Microsoft's (MGS: Rising was a little bit of a botched opportunity, considering there was no real footage to show).

There were some really low low-points (Vitality device, most things that came out of Cammie's mouth, facebook), and some really high high-points (Metroid: Other M, Galaxy 2, Golden Sun DS). I was not that sold on Dead Space or The Conduit, but Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles, like most of the RE series at this point, is a guilty pleasure.

Yeah, they're not new IPs, but seriously. If the game is good, who gives a fuck if it's a new IP or a 20 year old franchise?

In essence, it shows that Nintendo is not that far gone from the gaming audience. The conference was quite solid, admittedly cutting things a little bit too close for comfort (The conference would have been very, very bad if they decided to end at the Vitality device).

domlolz

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
ANY conference with a Mario Galaxy sequel wins by default. It's Mario fucking Galaxy.

Maybe if they'd shown more, then maybe it would of made up for that fucking detective game,style thingymabob and then the fucking vitality sensor :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Rash said:
I don't necessarily see why Nintendo's conference should automatically be worse than Microsoft's.

They covered a ton of ground in just one hour, and gave a bunch of examples of good games coming now, good games coming in the future, and why third parties should stick by both Wii and DS. They also explained the further potential of the Wii and DS in bringing new gamers to the hobby.

This is what Nintendo's about; "Everyone's Game." They used their time wisely to cover all the bases.

most sensible post in the thread.

BTW, I see some people calling this the worst conference ever. they clearly did not sit through Ubisoft's abomination last night, or Nintendo's abomination last year. let's keep some perspective, here.

traveler

Not Wario
Blader5489 said:
Why the hell should anyone here care about Nintendo managing to please casuals and investors? It may be good for business, but I personally couldn't give a shit about that. I only want them to deliver on the franchises that I'm interested in.

I'm not saying I LIKED their conference for it; I'm just saying that if you didn't expect a lot of that, then your expectations were out of line. That they managed to do it while still revealing a lot for the "hardcore" to be excited is a credit to them.

Eteric Rice

fortified_concept said:
I say

Microsoft conference: 7/10
Nintendo conference: 6/10

Microsoft didn't have the surprises Nintendo had and they didn't announce any new exclusives for 2009 as I was hoping but Nintendo conference royally sucked for 90% of its duration while Microsoft's was solid.

I can kind of agree with this. The reason I'd put them close is because Microsoft also showed a bunch of stuff we already knew about, they had a guy that pretty much looked like a pedophile demo their motion camera, had Steven Spielberg come out and say... Nothing really. Not to mention the Twitter and Facebook shit.

Microsoft's was a lot more flashy, so it's flaws were harder to spot.

With Nintendo, there was no real flash, and a lot of the mistakes they made last time poped up again. Luckily, they showed some solid third party games this time, as well as solid looking first party stuff at the end.

So yeah, I think I agree with your score.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Reading this thread from beginning to end is fucking hilarious.

2D console multiplayer mario that looks FUN to play.
Golden Sun DS
Vitality Sensor (I could see this having interesting gaming applications)
Galaxy 2
Metroid Gaiden

Many of which a GAFer would give a left nut for.

What do people remember from conferences from years past? Surprises. Moments of Hilarity and foot-in-mouth quotes. We got the former from Nintendo today and the latter from Ubi and Microsoft (BAM!). Microsoft's conference was the more consistent one, but I would argue people will remember the moment when the shocking Metroid reveal brought down the forum.

Thaedolus

Conference was satisfying, but not filling...I was really hoping a Zelda would be announced. Metroid totally blindsided me though, and I want...bad

Mario Galaxy 2 was the biggest disappointment of the conference for me. The original game was perfect, it didn't need a sequel at all.

What a complete waste of dev talent, EAD Tokyo should be working on a new IP (Or at least a different one from the one they just bloddy worked on!!!)

Ceebs

traveler said:
They just showed a sequel to the best game of this generation, (possibly all time) a new Metroid game done by a collaboration between Nintendo and Team Ninja of all people, a mp Mario sidescroller, and a sequel to a fan favorite RPG series that we thought would never see the light of day- all while still managing to please casuals and investors alike- and you consider those of us who were actually semi-impressed by the conference to have ridiculous expectations? Seriously? I'm far from a drooling Nintendo fanboy or whatever image you seem to have in your mind, but that is absolutely absurd. Go read last year's conference thread- even the fans have been calling the Nintendo stuff like they see it.

All the conference reactions have revealed is this- that Nintendo giving the hardcore part of their attention isn't enough; they are insulted by the very presence of ANY efforts to go after the casuals.

Agree 100%

No matter what they do they will not please the people raving about all the stuff MS showed. They hit a good balance of stuff, and unless you are jaded to the core you probably saw something there you want to play.

I think Microsoft treating their press conference as the sort of preview show I would expect on G4 has a lot to do with internet reactions to Nintendo's actual press conference.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I just want to iterate again that I think the conference was WAY better than I thought it would be. Just announcing new games that I WANT TO BUY! is very surprising.

And AGAIN, Ravi wasn't there! so that's an extra point.

All in all, I love this e3. I hope Sony can at LEAST maintain the same level of quality and focus.

EDarkness

I think this conference wasn't that good. It was boring and the monotone feel of it made it seem like the conference was dragging on.

One thing I got from this was that their "core" Wii 3rd party games must be dry. The games they had to show us were games we already knew about. Nothing special and nothing new, which kind of drives home the point that the Wii library is practically barren when it comes to those kinds of games. Other consoles have these kinds of games in spades and all Nintendo could show as The Conduit, Dead Space Extraction, and Resident Evil: Lightgun edition 2. So so sad.

Metroid looks interesting, but I haven't had much luck with Team Ninja's games. They're pretty, but I haven't been a fan of the gameplay. I have a feeling Sony is gonna knock this one out of the park.

Black_Ice said:
Crackdown 2 > This entire conference tbqh (To be expected)

A 1 minute Teaser Trailer of no gameplay for a sequel to an 8/10 game is better than Super Mario Galaxy 2, New Super Mario Bros Wii, Golden Sun DS and a new Metroid? :lol

esbern

TheKingsCrown said:
MS 8/10
Nintendo 8/10

Nintendo's was not terrible. They gave plenty of reasons to play Wii.
ostrichvselephant.gif

since we're all doing it, i would give MS a C and nintendo a B (would have been an A with Zelda)

I am predicting an A for Sony (providing they show Trico)

(for the record, I play my 360 more than my wii and ps3 combined. I just don't care about Alan Wake or Natal or the bottom of an avatar's shoe or splinter cell. If they would have shown Fallout New vegas I would have given them an A+++++ 5 STARS ZOMG)

Grecco

2D Mario, Galaxy 2, Golden Sun, Crystal Bearers, DSIWare stuff, and ENDING the show with a Metroid by Team Ninja

Great showing by Nintendo. So yeah they didnt have celebrities acting like idiots on stage so what.

Great show.

They used the conference as a place to pander to all demographics and chose to highlight games GAF couldn't give a shit about. Huge surprise there... :lol Still, i don't get why they wouldn't show off some games that need a higher profile like Sin and Punishment 2. It's like they don't even try to get its name out there.

LCfiner

OK, I figure I'll summarize my thoughts.

Overall, the conference had some truly dull and boring moments. unlike the MS presser, which kept those to a minimum, this one had longer stretches of boring shit. And, even when showing cool shit, their presentation is a little slow and heavy handed.

Luckily, Nintendo also had some pretty cool games to show off.

So, first of all, I was not down on the Wii Fit and Wii Motion plus stuff as most of you were. I thought the wii sports resort stuff looked like a lot of fun. especially the archery and skydiving.

And the more "gamey" aspects of Wii Fit Plus like the log jumping and Mario type movement also looked cool. I was not disappointed in that.

I thought NSMB Wii was a disappointment, though, nothing about the 4 player stuff looked good and I need to see more than a retooled Mario 1-1 to be excited about the level design.

I don't think anyone can fault them for paying attention to the casual market. and, let's be honest: Women's Murder Club is a tweaked version of Hotel Dusk and GAF shot loads over that game.

The big guns were the new metroid and Mario Galaxy games. those two looked slick as hell and I think that's pretty much what most core Wii owners would have expected. well done to Nintendo for ending on those two and not Wii Music bullshit.

but, speaking of bullshit... The vitality monitor is exactly that. I'm sorry, but for a sysetm that has spent so much effort getting you to move about and swing your arms, he "relaxing" vitality meter seems like a counter intuitive side step and I think it's a rare bad move for Nintendo. and not or the core, for the casuals.

So, to give a rating, I give it a straight B. (before the last two big reveals, it would have been a C)

Miscrosoft still gets the flat A.

.GqueB. said:
Nintendo talked to much and was boring. They werent even excited about their own products. Cammie was dull as shit. MS put on a good show WHILE showing games. They got people excited.

You cant just "show" games. You have to "present" them. Nintendo showed a bunch of games that people werent excited about to begin with and they made no real attempt to get people excited about them.

On stage demos were extremely limited as well.

And I say again... they TALKED to damn much.
I can't even comprehend how people can objectively think otherwise.

RyuKanSan

MechaX said:
After stepping back and calming down from my Metroid-high, I'd have to give the conference a B.

I simply do not comprehend how people can think this is the worst conference out of 2009, let alone the worst conference ever. Ubisoft's conference already stole that title single-handedly, and the fact that there was no awkward Wii Music/Ravi Drums demos pretty much sealed that deal. It's not quite to the level of Microsoft's conference overall, but it definitely had bigger surprises than Microsoft's (MGS: Rising was a little bit of a botched opportunity, considering there was no real footage to show).

There were some really low low-points (Vitality device, most things that came out of Cammie's mouth, facebook), and some really high high-points (Metroid: Other M, Galaxy 2, Golden Sun DS). I was not that sold on Dead Space or The Conduit, but Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles, like most of the RE series at this point, is a guilty pleasure.

Yeah, they're not new IPs, but seriously. If the game is good, who gives a fuck if it's a new IP or a 20 year old franchise?

In essence, it shows that Nintendo is not that far gone from the gaming audience. The conference was quite solid, admittedly cutting things a little bit too close for comfort (The conference would have been very, very bad if they decided to end at the Vitality device).

Agreed

Not trying to create false hope but...

I wonder if Miyamoto not being there today is due to at least one more game announcement at his round table today. Maybe that's where he'll show Pikmin..

domlolz

Banned
Very professional show from Nintendo. Bill and Reggie are a great team. Cammie did her job well too, that's a nice change. The BIG N stays rock solid in the 1st place.

hahahah I missed this.Seriously?
You enjoyed that wooden exchange between life long chums Reggie and Bill?

dwin45 said:
The lack of excitement for NSMB Wii is troubling.
I'm fucking excited for it. And Nintendo also just announced the sequel to what is undoubtedly my favorite game of the modern era... GALAXY 2!

I swear if I was a game developer five minutes on this forum would be enough to make me want to give up and go work in a shoe store or something... I've never encountered a harder-to-impress band of mother fuckers :lol

Out of the new stuff: SMB Wii leaves me unconvinced, Golden Sun DS is overdue but still awesome, Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the biggest release of 2010 for me now (edging out Mass Effect 2), and Team Ninja's Metroid was a pleasant shock that could end up going either way really.

Two questions: Where was Retro? What will Miyamoto announce at his press event later today? (Pikmin 3... believe)

Top Bottom