• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM/1UP steals the blood and sweat of hardcore gamers?

Blazyr said:
Despite the respect you all typically accord Che, it seems no one is paying an ounce of attention to him here. Whatever conspiracy theory you may wish to indulge in, the simple fact is that Richard sat there hammering away at this game for hours. Having seen that with my own eyes I take that as much more compelling "evidence" than similarities between forum posts and the guide.

And anyway, how much differentiation could there be in fighting game guides? It's not like the characters learn new ways to play based on your actions. Their moves are what they are, as are the systems they operate in.

It's pretty presumptuous of some here to call out Richard based on the accusations of a fansite.
Even though you all adore chespace, you guys are just skipping over his posts in this thread. All your crazed JFK killing propaganda is ignoring all the time Rich spent playing DOA for this guide. Not being blind, it's the closest thing to proof that the posts being close to identical to the article is just coincidental.

Besides, how many ways can you skin a cat, really? You act like there are so many ways to do it, when there are so few. The movelist is what it is, and so is the game, ask somebody!

Yo man, that's pretty fucked up to diss Rich cuz of some drooling forum.

The Faceless Master said:
Even though you all adore chespace, you guys are just skipping over his posts in this thread. All your crazed JFK killing propaganda is ignoring all the time Rich spent playing DOA for this guide. Not being blind, it's the closest thing to proof that the posts being close to identical to the article is just coincidental.

Besides, how many ways can you skin a cat, really? You act like there are so many ways to do it, when there are so few. The movelist is what it is, and so is the game, ask somebody!

Yo man, that's pretty fucked up to diss Rich cuz of some drooling forum.
Hahahaha. Thanks for the laugh!

xsarien

daedsiluap
Anyanka said:
What does the amount of time he spent on the game have to do with anything? Even if only part of it is copied or he tested it himself it's still not right.

"similarities"? That's an understatement. Look at the paragraph describing evasion in DOA 4. Followed by the exact same tiering and comments. Come on.

Dude, all kidding aside, I see two paragraphs on evasion that follow a logical progression from DOA2 to DOA4. To do it any other way would just be poor structure.

And as an aside, I feel that I must point out that Richard's version has superior grammar.

APF said:
The fact that I masturbate a lot doesn't mean I can take credit for Waking Life.

That's just uncalled for, but then I rarely agree with you anyway. :p

Matlock

Banned
Hey, I had to play through Fight Club. So if I ALLEGEDLY copy and paste a forum post, I can brush it off because I had to play a shitty fighting game.

Wow, at first I didn't think this was a big deal.

But now that I think of it, this event actually puts IGN up over 1up. (relax guys, just for this aspect, not in entirety)

I remember one of the guide writers for IGN thanking several PS2 forum posters for tips on the DMC3 strategy guide (dmc3 = hard game = lot of strats = yada yada yada) but I forgot who wrote the guide but he flat out, in his guide credited several forum posters.

Speaking of, I remember Richards DMC3 FAQ to be pretty damn good...hmmmm....

Anyanka

xsarien said:
Dude, all kidding aside, I see two paragraphs on evasion that follow a logical progression from DOA2 to DOA4. To do it any other way would just be poor structure.

Yeah but then it's followed by the exact same rankings with the exact same comments.

And that's just one random thread I happened to click on. I wonder how many others there are.

miyuru

Blazyr said:
Despite the respect you all typically accord Che, it seems no one is paying an ounce of attention to him here. Whatever conspiracy theory you may wish to indulge in, the simple fact is that Richard sat there hammering away at this game for hours. Having seen that with my own eyes I take that as much more compelling "evidence" than similarities between forum posts and the guide.

And anyway, how much differentiation could there be in fighting game guides? It's not like the characters learn new ways to play based on your actions. Their moves are what they are, as are the systems they operate in.

It's pretty presumptuous of some here to call out Richard based on the accusations of a fansite.

You people are fucking ridiculous. Do you have any sense of professionalism at all? Really, your argument is like that of some 12-year-old. For fuck's sake, people wonder why videogame journalism isn't taken more seriously - it's dumbfucks like you. I'm surprised Che even defended Richard on the basis that he played the game hardcore for a week and a half. It's a MOOT point. Look at the comparisons above in this thread - they clearly show definite similarities between both guides. If Richard had never seen that guide on DOACentral, the guide would be completely different. GameFAQs and the people who voluntarily submit guides over there are more credible than your writer.

Bottomline is, he didn't reference at all. No credit given at all. You guys at 1UP have a great site, and everyone makes mistakes - I don't expect you to babysit this guy while he's writing up his guide. But the fact that you're even defending him, in light of the blatant plagiarism - that drives me insane.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Did anybody save the guide to the hard drive as evidence, just in case 1up actually tries to cover it up? I can't imagine them stooping that low but..

Matlock

Banned
SnowWolf said:
Did anybody save the guide to the hard drive as evidence, just in case 1up actually tries to cover it up? I can't imagine them stooping that low but..

Hey, look at that, a mirror popped up.

http://s93066194.onlinehome.us/gaf/1up/1up/feature.htm

If thisi offends anyone at 1up, feel free to email me, pm me, or hit me up on aim and it will be taken down promptly.

edit: between this and the MGS.org saga, fansites have really taken it up the pooper lately.

DrDogg

I have to say that anyone who says this isn't pretty much a copy and paste job is retarded. I don't care how much "work" Richard put into the guide, it takes more than 2 weeks to figure out some of those advanced strats. He didn't even get some of those strats right after rewording them.

In addition, if you look at his character strats, it's clear that he doesn't understand the game well enough to grasp the advanced strats that were blatantly stolen from DOAC.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Matlock said:
Hey, look at that, a mirror popped up.

http://s93066194.onlinehome.us/gaf/1up/1up/feature.htm

If thisi offends anyone at 1up, feel free to email me, pm me, or hit me up on aim and it will be taken down promptly.

edit: between this and the MGS.org saga, fansites have really taken it up the pooper lately.

Matlock, take that shit down. What the fuck is wrong with you.

I have no plans to "cover up" Richard's DOA4 guide by removing it or anything like that. If an apology is in order, or due credits need to be given, they will be and the feature will be appended.

Jesus fuck, it's Sunday night. Just trying to enjoy what's left of my weekend here.

What did you put up Matlock? All I see is an 'error' yada yada yada.

Well, maybe after this 1up won't talk smack about IGN anymore, last I check they never did a 'copy and paste' job with their guides. Although I still kind of don't see the big deal is, it's a game, and it's fuckin Dead or Alive for god sakes. Again, Dead-or-Alive for fucks sake. Now if it was Virtua Fighter or Soul Calibur, then everybody stop want you're doing and go "OMG" teh ev1lness!! :lol

Matlock

Banned
C- Warrior said:
What did you put up Matlock? All I see is an 'error' yada yada yada.

Just a direct mirror of the single page, as SnowWolf requested it. Upon the content provider (che) requesting it be taken down, I did.

The Faceless Master said:
what you should do is reword it and keep it up, AMIRITE!?!?! :lol :lol :lol

no comment

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Matlock said:
Just a direct mirror of the single page, as SnowWolf requested it. Upon the content provider (che) requesting it be taken down, I did.

Thank you.

Next 1up show should be a trial regarding Richard's true motives with the guide. CSI style.

Che can be the judge, jury, and executionar.

Amir0x

Banned
well this thread was awesome. dark secrets revealed, techniques exposed! Definitely need a few jokes about this in the next 1up show.

Anyway, plagarism sucks so I hope it wasn't as intentional as it seems but I was entertained

Amir0x said:
well this thread was awesome. dark secrets revealed, techniques exposed! Definitely need a few jokes about this in the next 1up show.

Anyway, plagarism sucks so I hope it wasn't as intentional as it seems but I was entertained

Judge Dred theme, I'm telling you man. "I AM THE LAAAHHWWW"

miyuru

C- Warrior said:
Next 1up show should be a trial regarding Richard's true motives with the guide. CSI style.

Che can be the judge, jury, and executionar.

!!!

I'd love to see that :lol

BTW it's too bad Che's getting so much heat for this (even from me), but yeah.

MC Safety

Somewhere, Kyle Orland has just woken up, bathed in holy light and to the sound of the Hallelujah Chorus.

I'm entirely too busy collecting Luigi hats and 3D glasses for my Animal Crossing character to investigate the matter, but it may be that it's just a simple case of not giving credit where it's due. It's unfortunate but not wholly unexpected if it happened here; most university graduates make it through their studies writing few, if any, papers where they're required to note their sources.

For anyone who wants to work for a game magazine or Web site, I'd really recommend practical experience with some type of publication where the craft of journalism -- interviewing sources, checking facts, learning to properly attribute materials to sources, knowing when to credit sources, and writing without the use of the first-person -- is emphasized.

Journalism isn't the end-all and be-all. But there are some basic things people who write game news, features, previews, and interview stories should know that aren't necessarily being taught at the various magazines/Web sites.

Tony HoTT

Banned
They should just show Richard slaving over DOA getting pissed off, drinking, and saying
"FUCK THIS!" really loudly as he turns the game off and starts copying the guide.

1up: it is never too late to play this off as a joke about how DOA sucks.

EDIT: I meant to apply this to the 1up show comment.

Tony HoTT said:
They should just show Richard slaving over DOA getting pissed off, drinking, and saying
"FUCK THIS!" really loudly as he turns the game off and starts copying the guide.

1up: it is never too late to play this off as a joke about how DOA sucks.

EDIT: I meant to apply this to the 1up show comment.

You make Mr. Bob cry, why man why?!?

Yeah, that woud be hilarious. You see, Richard did make a valid effort to write a guide for DOA4, but after 2 hours he couldn't take playing that shit any longer and just copied the damn thing. I forgive him, it happens to the best of us.

shpankey

not an idiot
SnowWolf said:
Does anybody find this ironic considering EGM/1up has been all gung-ho lately about pointing fingers at other publications' shady business? :lol
oh yeah, :lol I remember that now. damn, talk about egg on their face... :lol

YeOldSage

Who gives a shit! Folks, it's DOA THE SHITTIEST FIGHTING GAME OF THEM ALL!!!. The posters at DOACENTRAL STOLE that guide info from FX4 (underground fighting game forum that requires a membership). This is not the first time people have stolen from us; claimed it as their own; and then turned around hollering "Thief, Thief" (Gamefan, Screenshot)!

YeOldSage said:
Who gives a shit! Folks, it's DOA THE SHITTIEST FIGHTING GAME OF THEM ALL!!!. The posters at DOACENTRAL STOLE that guide info from FX4 (underground fighting game forum that requires a membership). This is not the first time people have stolen from us; claimed it as their own; and then turned around hollering "Thief, Thief" (Gamefan)!

Oooooh snap!

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Excelion said:
kinda ironic, how many webmasters had to pay enormous hosting bills because slashdot linked them ?

How is that ironic, Alanis?

Ironic is bitching about shady gaming publications while one of your writers is making himself busy with the Ctrl+C Ctrl+V. Maybe 1up should have just put up a link to the guide instead of rewording it and claiming it as their own original content.

If a writer did this in a local newspaper, he would be blacklisted from the journalism industry. It happens everyday.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Damn you guys really know how to nail a guy to the fuckin wall smeared with blood over hungry wolves. It's to the point that some of you expect this guy to be fired instead of reprimanded (which he may deserve that's up to 1up to decide).

I love how Che was all like "Come on guys its the freakin weekend!". I can tell he's the type of guy who likes to leave his work at the job but GAF ain't havin it! :lol

Flynn

xsarien said:
And as an aside, I feel that I must point out that Richard's version has superior grammar.

Richard's First Sentance said:
Getting your butt handed to you by some foul-mouth kid on Xbox Live can be a bit embarrassing, especially if it's a scrub whose only strategy consist of mashing all eight buttons on the controller.

Should be "foul-mouthed."

Well, that was more a joke than anything but...

The music, the whole scenario... its hilarious, even if totally predictable given that we are talking DOA and Itagaki.

Also, Kasumi should have had a "real" ending. I mean, WTF.

Rlan

Che needs some of this:

Fructis_gross.jpg

I bet he stinks too. :D

But seriously, you look like you just woke up in EVERY 1up episode.

Top Bottom