• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Filled up my tank yesterday, $6.20 per gallon for regular

this is getting pretty fucking absurd. living in Los Angeles, I've grown accustomed to high gas prices but this is some next level bullshit. paid over $70 for half a tank of regular gas.

on a side note: I decided to do some bicycle shopping as my old bike was stolen a few years ago. has anyone looked at bike prices lately? they're insane. some models I was looking at a few years ago are now like +$300 dollars due to all the nonsense going on in the world.

Doing a conversion, $6.20 US per gallon is approx. $2.05 CDN per liter. I cant believe it, the US is higher! Typically Canadian gas prices are way higher than the US.

Right now, regular gas is around $1.60/L where I live... or about $4.80 US converted to a gallon.

TurnOneYeti

$4.29 per gallon here in PA. I'd feel better if I wasn't driving a 1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport that gets 12 mpg in the city and like 17 mpg on the highway. I want to sell it and grab something newer but used car prices are up like 40%.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

That's around 1,35EUR per liter, I would consider that cheap. Its almost 2EUR at the moment in DE. The Green Party over here wanted gas to be priced at 5EUR per liter some years ago XD.
ITT Americans are catching up to gas prices with the rest of the world - hey, maybe this will lead to less 3.0 liter monstrosities?

STARSBarry

You think that's bad it cost me £2849 to fill up my tank today, at £1.79 pence per litre.

Not cheap at all.

Last edited:
Doing a conversion, $6.20 US per gallon is approx. $2.05 CDN per liter. I cant believe it, the US is higher! Typically Canadian gas prices are way higher than the US.

Right now, regular gas is around $1.60/L where I live... or about $4.80 US converted to a gallon.

California has a special fuel blend mandated by law. The result is only 4 refineries in California can make the gas that Californians buy. It makes the gas more expensive and minor problems at any of these refineries can result in high prices even when prices are down for everyone else.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
GM36FA3.jpg

Time to move to Oklahoma. lol

NickFire

this is getting pretty fucking absurd. living in Los Angeles, I've grown accustomed to high gas prices but this is some next level bullshit. paid over $70 for half a tank of regular gas.

on a side note: I decided to do some bicycle shopping as my old bike was stolen a few years ago. has anyone looked at bike prices lately? they're insane. some models I was looking at a few years ago are now like +$300 dollars due to all the nonsense going on in the world.
Living in Los Angeles he says. Can't decide if I agree with him or blame him I said. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute

bike prices went nuts at the start of the pandemic and never came down

ITT Americans are catching up to gas prices with the rest of the world - hey, maybe this will lead to less 3.0 liter monstrosities?
They will just build EVs with batteries that are heavier than a regular EU car, see the new Hammer. At some point it doesn't really matter if you use gas or bazillion kWh/100km.

Fun fact, researching how much energy the new EV Hummer needs per 100km, I came to the realization that Americans seem to use MPGe for EVs... Miles Per Gallon (e) ... that is an EV equivalent of gas consumption LOL

Last edited:

poppabk

Good luck. In 2008 or so gas prices soared to around these levels. As soon as they dropped down everyone went out and bought a gas guzzling SUV or Truck. As soon as battery tech catches up, I'm sure 90% of EV's will be 800hp+ 8000lb electricity draining monsters with microtransaction heavy home theaters in the passenger seats.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
it feels a bit silly paying so much more for something but I don't really see an alternative
I've been lucky that I have a decent hybrid I bought in 2015 I can still put a lot of miles on. My boss tried to buy a bike to get outside when the pandemic started, and quickly got sticker shock when he found out that everything was on back order or overpriced. I don't even want to look at what bikes are selling for now with the gas crisis + inflation.

I've been lucky that I have a decent hybrid I bought in 2015 I can still put a lot of miles on. My boss tried to buy a bike to get outside when the pandemic started, and quickly got sticker shock when he found out that everything was on back order or overpriced. I don't even want to look at what bikes are selling for now with the gas crisis + inflation.
bikes I was looking at in the $600-1000 range are now $900-1400, assuming you can find them in stock. which is a huge IF, as stock is very low.

Wonder what you thought when gas was below $1 here for a short while.
During covid meltdown it bottomed to around 65 cents CDN I think. Not sure it if breached below 60. Crazy.

The thing is I dont buy gas based on price. I just buy it when I need to fill a tank. And with WFH for two years, I only fill up the tank like once every month or two depending on how much I drive that month.

I wish I could make comparisons but it'd be useless since I pay in Real (R$). If you guys knew... it's insane how expensive it is in brazil.

I saw a post on Reddit listing the profits the last few years of all of the oil/gas companies. They all made bank! It's absurd how they exploit world issues and then pass on the 'hardships' they have endured, to the consumers.

lethial

Hovering at 1.98 here in Vancouver.

chromhound

Amory

We bought a house with oil heat recently, first experience with that BS.

Luckily one of the local oil companies offered to lock us in at like $3.50/gallon for a year if we agreed to only get oil from them. This was just before all the Russia/Ukraine stuff. It'll save us like $300/fill at these prices.

Thaedolus

My wife keeps adding weekends she wants to go camping and other road trips where we'll have to drive my truck and I'm like ughhhhhhhh calm down. Had my first gas pump tap out at $100 and I had to reswipe the other day.

kingfey

Banned
$4 here in ohio. Some times, we get $4.09 for regular 89. I am out of budget for gaming soon. That is $40 every week. F me.

Fbh

It's pretty crazy everywhere.
Thankfully I drive a small car so it hasn't been to bad.

What sucks is that we swapped to a kersone stove last year and the prices for that are going through the roof. Regular gas has gone up around 20% compared to last year but for whatever reason Kerosense is at 70%+ and keeps getting higher. Might have to go back to good ol' firewood this winter.

8bitpill

What type of vehicle are you driving? I just did the math with the VW Tiguan 2019 we own and it can hold 15.3 gallons. If I was to do half of that at the cost you're implying it would be $47.43 for the half tank. I take it you have a Truck you're filling up?

As for bikes, The higher end ones have usually been $600 to $1200 range,

What type of vehicle are you driving? I just did the math with the VW Tiguan 2019 we own and it can hold 15.3 gallons. If I was to do half of that at the cost you're implying it would be $47.43 for the half tank. I take it you have a Truck you're filling up?

As for bikes, The higher end ones have usually been $600 to $1200 range,
Ford SUV

for bikes, I'm looking at decent entry level fixed gear bikes.

all the reviews I'm reading for them pre-covid list their original prices, so it is easy to compare and see how much they've gone. that and forums.

Last edited:

bronk

Banned

Yup exact same! Also bike prices have been crazy here as well as soon as lockdown started. Sort of stayed that way.

8bitpill

The price will be sound for the bike and your savings in the long run, it doesn't justify some price hikes of course.

Cities are rough with driving in general. I bought a bike in early 2008 from a friend. Had it professionally powder coated and tuned up. It cost me all together something like $700, it's a fixed gear 1989 bianchi. I bought that because I was over taking public transportation. I grew up and lived in Phila. Septa is the equivalent of a "Express train to Hell". The subways all smelled like piss, Any giving week you were going to be welcomed with piss, shit, puke and other bodily functions that you shouldn't have to deal with when getting on public transportation. After taking it from a early teenager in the 90's up till 2008, I called it quits. It was well worth dumping all the money back then into the bike just so I wouldn't have to step in the nightmare that Septa offered as transportation.

I now live in Maine and have been since 2013. It was one of the best decisions I made in my life. Only reason I bring that up, if you can, and it's a option move out of a city.

Last edited:
Top Bottom