• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Engage |OT| More breaks than at the Officers Academy

I played through the first 3 chapters, and got to the 4th. The writing is horrible, pretty sure this was made for children. if I recall, the older games were much more serious in tone. I was kind of excited to jump back into the series, but my god.
It takes off in chapter 5+ and gets better. But the writing is not great, and the VA is terrible. Switch to Japanese.

I played to Chapter 4 on Hard and was getting annoyed. Switched to Normal and now everything is way too easy. A shame there isn't better balance in Normal. It is basically Easy mode. Hard was too much. I don't have the time or patience to think through each move. Story is not that great and the support conversations were pretty boring too. Can't expect much from the beginning of a Fire Emblem game, but the tone is just odd. The art and designs are decent. Kind of stopped playing for a few days. Maybe when I come back to it later this week with tempered expectations, it will be more enjoyable. Should try Japanese VA too since everyone here says it improves the experience.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
The thing is if I set a no rewind rule I might just end up backtracking on it later if there is a difficulty spike that actually pushes me to use them. I feel like maybe later on the game will be more balanced around rewinds. But I don't know for certain if that will happen or when it will.

If it comes to a point where the difficulty spikes enough to make the game too frustrating then there's no harm in relenting and using the feature to make the game more enjoyable. It's all about the balance - if you're fining it's use is spoiling the challenge then cut it out, but if the tables turn and using it will make the game more enjoyable in the face of a OTT difficulty spike then relax the rule to only one or two uses. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. I'm just suggesting the rule because you felt the rewind made the game too easy.

Gabbelgak

I am still on Normal. It gets pretty decently difficult in my opinion in like the teens. I've played a lot of SRPG's but never finished a fire emblem all the way through.

One note I would say though is I don't really have to worry about weapons / stats on anyone on this difficulty. A majority of my guys have base weapons even on stage 21 now. I've completed every prologue fine but other than that I don't do skirmishes or gold / silver maps - the few weapons I bothered to take to +5 wreck enemies. I haven't used a single stat enhance item, I have like 20 of them in storage. So if you don't want to micromanage all that I would say stick with normal.

Given that you can grind seemingly indefinitely you just restart at level 1 each time with all your stats in tact, harder difficulties could be completed just fine even with not as high skill level if you want to repeat stages a bunch and just farm xp.

Gabbelgak

Finally finished a Fire Emblem game for the first time today. Story actually gets even worse the farther you go I feel like.

It lets you increase the difficulty in the tower of trials in the post game which could be cool.

Overall I would say it's a decent game, but there are other better strategy RPG options out there.

Astral Dog

i like to writte a ton of words maybe it was too much here 🤭

Game is very fun, i like the visuals, art, maps and mechanics, its pure Fire Emblem the hub is cool 🏰

pretty graphics just hold back somewhat by the Switch i hope we see an even more gorgeous sequel next generation 👍

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

NanaMiku

I'm still early, but man the maps in this game feel so much better than 3H. I'm really impressed with the animations so far too.
The animation also quite vary. I forgot where I saw it mention in a video. In the beginning of the game, Alear evade animation is really not efficient. They evade it quite far away. Later on, they only evade by parrying the attack

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Ahh I’m reading opinions here and am in two minds on whether to get this or Tactics Ogre Reborn.. help me!
I played both and love both but if you talking about story, Tactics Ogre has much better and more serious story.

gameplay I can’t decide I really like both but they also vastly different from each other.

As much as I loved Tactics Ogre some battles can be needlessly frustrating because changes in Reborn.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
I'm enjoying the challenge.

Playing Hard/Classic and it feels like a struggle. So far I can make mistakes, but not many and only relatively small ones. If I leave someone exposed they'll get killed and if I don't manage my team's health with a more forward thinking view (letting them get chipped down) then I'm pretty much setting them up for a late battle fall.

My Alear is getting wrecked by bad RNG on the level ups though. I actually ended up restarting the last battle because the two levels she got were so damned bad and I know I can't afford to have her fall behind like lesser characters might. Damned Healer (Framme) got strength and dexterity on her last 3 levels too. RNG pain.

Kimahri

Banned
Ahh I’m reading opinions here and am in two minds on whether to get this or Tactics Ogre Reborn.. help me!
Tactics Ogre.

That is a game where everything is great.

Fire Emblem? Eh... I kinda hste it. Gameplay is great, but everything else is shit. Story is pure garbage, character design is typical 8 year old girls with tits and ass bullshit that has infected everything from japan, and it looks exactly like every other animr type game on switch. Apoarently there is only one way to do the anime look now, so of course they choose the shittiest most generic pne there is.

And there is so much shirty filler nonsense. Talk to 30 characters bla bla, picl up items, bla bla.

I dunno, it just feels like a game that does everything it can to get between you and the meat of the game.

I want to play tacitcal battles, that's it,but this game makes it all such a dull chore. It tries to do too much but fails at everything but one.

cabbage5k2

I think the hard mode and especially maddening mode will be seen as some of the hardest modes in any fire emblem game, chapters 4-5 are tough chapters, and aren't afraid to kick your teeth in if you play those chapters sloppily. Mind, the two early game paralogues and chapter 7 are easier so you did get a bit of breathing room for at least a short bit. I'm only on chapter 8, but I've heard there are some difficulty spikes coming up, so that'll be fun. I wish sp was somewhat easier to accumulate though, makes getting 1,000 sp more difficult than it probably should (for context, none of my characters have 1,000 yet).

Tactics Ogre no contest

Tactics Ogre.

That is a game where everything is great.

Fire Emblem? Eh... I kinda hste it. Gameplay is great, but everything else is shit. Story is pure garbage, character design is typical 8 year old girls with tits and ass bullshit that has infected everything from japan, and it looks exactly like every other animr type game on switch. Apoarently there is only one way to do the anime look now, so of course they choose the shittiest most generic pne there is.

And there is so much shirty filler nonsense. Talk to 30 characters bla bla, picl up items, bla bla.

I dunno, it just feels like a game that does everything it can to get between you and the meat of the game.

I want to play tacitcal battles, that's it,but this game makes it all such a dull chore. It tries to do too much but fails at everything but one.
Fuck it, I ordered both. Now I truly win! Not that I have a shred of time to play them!!

Astral Dog

this game is awesome 😭🥺

but i wonder where do you get the Three Houses DLC rings im already on chapter 8 and got everything else, also were do you find the materials for upgrading the weapons?

Last edited:

Gabbelgak

this game is awesome 😭🥺

but i wonder where do you get the Three Houses DLC rings im already on chapter 8 and got everything else, also were do you find the materials for upgrading the weapons?
I didn't buy the DLC so can't help you there. The materials to upgrade weapons are found as the sparkles on the ground after a battle where you can walk around and talk to the people. You also get them in the main town talking to dogs, so I would recommend making all the adopted pet dogs for this reason. You can, much later int he game, buy some from the last shop that opens up.

Danjin44

this game is awesome 😭🥺

You have to go to Lookout Ridge in Somniel. You usually can find materials when you explore map after battle, you can see shining spot in the map.

Last edited:

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
O-kay.. the difficulty on this game is getting up there.

A skirmish of all things just forced me to restart twice and completely change up my strategy. Didn't expect that from an optional battle. It's quite fun being pressed so hard though, nice to have a bit of challenge in a modern game.

Danjin44

A skirmish of all things just forced me to restart twice and completely change up my strategy. Didn't expect that from an optional battle. It's quite fun being pressed so hard though, nice to have a bit of challenge in a modern game.
I'm currently in chapter 10 on hard, the skirmishes and training battles seems much harder than the main battles because they much higher level, but it also helps that my Alear got little OP with RNG level up.

Almost nothing can touch her and when they do it barely does any damage. So both my Louis and Alear can go to front line with almost no worry.

Last edited:

ebevan91

Yeah I just did a skirmish after chapter 9 (8?) and got BODIED. All I was doing was just trying to get some of my guys to level 10. Had to rewind time 3 times to the very beginning.

Astral Dog

You have to go to Lookout Ridge in Somniel. You usually can find materials when you explore map after battle, you can see shining spot in the map.
Yeah i found out in the Eshop description, curiously. Had no idea how to unlock the thing otherwise 🤷🏻‍♂️ its ok, but the Tiki DLC had me occupied for a good while, its a large map and if i had no use of the time remind feature i would have lost the armor guy at the very end to those dragons(almost thought it was impossible to not lose him 😳)

But the ring is pretty useful, basically gives an extra life.

this game is so fun 😁i can't get into other strategy games, but Fire Emblem is pure addiction the only one i didn't enjoyed as much is Shadows of Valentia because something felt off with the gameplay

Danjin44

Okay this is first time I had to give up on one of the optional skirmish for now. All enemies units were advance class and absolutely destroy most my units. I have to come back later on when most my characters changed to advance class.

Astral Dog

just used the master seal and Alear actually starts looking cool when he/she upgrades classes, like by some divine grace he made himself look more flamboyant to rule the peasant Army

(but doesn’t seem to change the character model when exploring :( )

Last edited:
  • LOL

th4tguy

I started the game and got past the initial 3 battles (tutorials) but I went back to SMTV to try and finish that before I fully focus on this.
I'm on the last area before the final dungeon so it shouldn't be long. Really excited.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Okay, so a couple of things learned that may help new players

Bond Rings - I ignored these for the first 7 chapters which it turns out was a pretty big mistake. Basically in the ring room at your base you can exchange 100 bond fragements to create a bond ring from one of your current Emblem Rings. The produced bond ring will be either bronze, silver or gold and relates to a secondary character from that Emblem Character's game. You can also merge duplicates to create better rings etc.

On the most basic level they grant stat bonuses, which is pretty damn useful for augmenting your team and giving them a little more balance.

But the big deal is that they allow a character who has one equipped to earn Skill Points (SP). And skill points are used to "buy" inherited skills from Emblems that the character has developed at least 5 bond levels with.

This matters because some of those inherited skills are REALLY damned good. But they're expensive so you need to make sure everyone is earning SP as early as possible. So, knock out a bond ring for each of your team that doesn't have an Emblem ring and get them equipped so that everyone is earning SP each battle.

Inherited Skills - Give a character an Emblem ring and they'll start earning bond levels with that emblem character. This in turn grants additional skills and attacks when using that ring, but at level 5 allows the character to "inherit" a skill from that emblem by paying Skill Points for it (SP)

These skills range from stat boosts to weapon proficiencies and advantages. Buy them and you can equip them and from there that character can have that skill/bonus without the emblem ring.

Here's where it get's broken.

Emblem Sigurd has Canter as a bond level 1 skill. Canter allows you to move two spaces after taking an action and is normally reserved for cavalry. As an inherited skill you can put canter on every character. Just use the arena and some bond fragments to get each character to bond level 5 with Sigurd so that they can inherit their skills and then you can buy that skill for 1000 sp. Pricey, sure... but I cannot overstate how much of an advantage that skill gives you. Mages and archers that are able to attack and then move away into cover or behind a fighting unit. Healers that can heal and run. Fighting units that can move in, hit and move back a space to let another unit step in and finish the job with the benefit of support bonuses.

Right now my Alear, Arthur, Celine, Yunaka and Chloe all have Canter, with Louis not far off. It opens tactical options that you'd never think possible and allows you to push glass canons into the fray without the risk you'd normally have.

Last edited:

NanaMiku

Does anybody have tried the auto battle? Is it good enough for farming/grinding underleveled party member?
Just tried it last night in training. You can choose 3 style of strategy (balance, aggresive, fall back). But even the balance is pretty stupid. The AI is pretty aggresive. Louise which is one of the weakest they bring it to the middle of the enemies. Instant dead lol

just used the master seal and Alear actually starts looking cool when he/she upgrades classes, like by some divine grace he made himself look more flamboyant to rule the peasant Army

(but doesn’t seem to change the character model when exploring :( )
I'm actually pretty dissapointed with the advance class look of some of the class. I cannot see any differences for Citrine and Ivy between the base and advance class

Astral Dog

Just tried it last night in training. You can choose 3 style of strategy (balance, aggresive, fall back). But even the balance is pretty stupid. The AI is pretty aggresive. Louise which is one of the weakest they bring it to the middle of the enemies. Instant dead lol

I'm actually pretty dissapointed with the advance class look of some of the class. I cannot see any differences for Citrine and Ivy between the base and advance class
Yeah some of them, look simpler than previous games , i upgraded 4 units and agree there's no much difference(looks like they gain a horse and that's it, Alfred got a flower crown), they simplified how the master seal system works a bit now each unit has only one path to pick. Its not a deal breaker imo , but its noticeable, i can only guess its because the characters are more customizable this time around with the clothes store, and maybe to focus on the Emblems.

Also no idea why the thief girl with stars on her hair can't change classes 😕she was a very good healer, but now can't even use staves

NanaMiku

Yeah some of them, look simpler than previous games , i upgraded 4 units and agree there's no much difference(looks like they gain a horse and that's it, Alfred got a flower crown), they simplified how the master seal system works a bit now each unit has only one path to pick. Its not a deal breaker imo , but its noticeable, i can only guess its because the characters are more customizable this time around with the clothes store, and maybe to focus on the Emblems.

Also no idea why the thief girl with stars on her hair can't change classes 😕she was a very good healer, but now can't even use staves
Too bad the clothes only works on Somniel. I'm also kinda disappointed with the Engage costume. I thought it's gonna different for each ring you equip.

Danjin44

Too bad the clothes only works on Somniel. I'm also kinda disappointed with the Engage costume. I thought it's gonna different for each ring you equip.
The problem is they are lot of rings and each character can have any ring and they are lots of characters. So every characters needs to have unique custom for each ring.

This game is ok but the draconian time crystal has to be the worst mechanic ever in the history of JRPGs. It's a shame because the actual core gameplay mechanics are very good but the fact that you get 10 rewinds makes this game a tedious drawn out cakewalk on most of the fights i've been in and i'm on chapter 14. No tension at all when I can just rewind rewind rewind rewind to save my units. On top of that it wastes so much time going back to change actions over and over again. There should be 3 rewinds on hard mode like in Three Houses. I chose hard mode not tutorial mode.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm loving this game, but god damn there are just far too many characters.

Danjin44

This game is ok but the draconian time crystal has to be the worst mechanic ever in the history of JRPGs. It's a shame because the actual core gameplay mechanics are very good but the fact that you get 10 rewinds makes this game a tedious drawn out cakewalk on most of the fights i've been in and i'm on chapter 14. No tension at all when I can just rewind rewind rewind rewind to save my units. On top of that it wastes so much time going back to change actions over and over again. There should be 3 rewinds on hard mode like in Three Houses. I chose hard mode not tutorial mode.
I dont mind rewind feature, Tactic Ogre Reborn has same mechanics. The main story fight are not much challenge but some of those optional skirmish and trials that filled advance class enemies can be very difficult....for me at least.

I'm loving this game, but god damn there are just far too many characters.
Very true and unfortunately as result there are character gonna get left behind, espcially those who are screwed by bad RNG level up.

Last edited:
I dont mind rewind feature, Tactic Ogre Reborn has same mechanics. The main story fight are not much challenge but some of those optional skirmish and trials that filled advance class enemies can be very difficult....for me at least.

Very true and unfortunately as result there are character gonna get left behind, espcially those who are screwed by bad RNG level up.
I didn't mind it in three houses. You only had 3 rewinds so you couldn't just spam each one you had to use them carefully. Now since you can spam it, every battle feels like doing the same things over and over again but also feeling like you don't really need to make any smart decisions or be careful since you can just bring units back to life anytime you want.

Danjin44

I didn't mind it in three houses. You only had 3 rewinds so you couldn't just spam each one you had to use them carefully. Now since you can spam it, every battle feels like doing the same things over and over again but also feeling like you don't really need to make any smart decisions or be careful since you can just bring units back to life anytime you want.
I don’t fully agree with that because some really tough trials and skirmishes you won’t able to save your until even if you do rewind if you really in bad situation. Most of those advance class skirmishes is filled with wolf, griffin and wyvern riders that can cover lot of ground, you still need care full position if don’t wan to see your weaker unites killed.

I recently fought advance class level 4 skirmish and it was tough as fuck, I was forced to restart fight again.

I don’t fully agree with that because some really tough trials and skirmishes you won’t able to save your until even if you do rewind if you really in bad situation. Most of those advance class skirmishes is filled with wolf, griffin and wyvern riders that can cover lot of ground, you still need care full position if don’t wan to see your weaker unites killed.

I recently fought advance class level 4 skirmish and it was tough as fuck, I was forced to restart fight again.
There are only 2 encounters i've been in so far where I felt like I needed to use all or nearly all of my rewinds to keep all my units alive.

Danjin44

There are only 2 encounters i've been in so far where I felt like I needed to use all or nearly all of my rewinds to keep all my units alive.
Main story fights was much easier but I'm currently chapter 13, some most of the optional skirmishes fights are all level 3-4 advance classes are really tough in my opinion and Trials at difficulty 23-24 are especially brutal.

I mean some those fights the enemy only has 19% chance to hit and they still managed get a hit, meanwhile my units have 81% chance to hit and more often than not they miss....thats crazy to me

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I mean some those fights the enemy only has 19% chance to hit and they still managed get a hit, meanwhile my units have 81% chance to hit and more often than not they miss....thats crazy to me
I've definitely had a few encounters that have felt like this gif of Xcom

xcom-miss.gif

Danjin44

I've definitely had a few encounters that have felt like this gif of Xcom

xcom-miss.gif
right-ikr.gif

There on time one if the enemy only had 11% chance to hit my Alear......only 11% and still managed hit her.....HOW!!? Meanwhile one of my characters had 89% chance to hit and they miss......

hey-thats-cheating.gif

Last edited:

NanaMiku

right-ikr.gif

There on time one if the enemy only had 11% chance to hit my Alear......only 11% and still managed hit her.....HOW!!? Meanwhile one of my characters had 89% chance to hit and they miss......

hey-thats-cheating.gif
Yeah, the hit percentage is kinda broken lol. My Chloe have 11% critical when using silver lance, and 30ish% when using killer lance. But she get critical more when using silver lance. Really weird lol

Top Bottom