• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Engage |OT| More breaks than at the Officers Academy

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yeah, the hit percentage is kinda broken lol. My Chloe have 11% critical when using silver lance, and 30ish% when using killer lance. But she get critical more when using silver lance. Really weird lol
Oh tell me about it! In one of the fights the enemy only had 1%..........1 fucking% chance to do critical hit they one shot one of my units with critical, meanwhile Amber also had killer lance with 38% chance critical hit and it rarely does critical.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
On chapter 13. Getting a bit bored now. Sticking to just main missions and will try to move things along.
Same here - I've been clearing all the skirmishes as they pop up, and have been trying to level up my B team in the process (since my A team is wiping the floor with these goons and getting little EXP). But then when I go back to do story missions, they're a cakewalk. Will probably do another 6-7 main missions now to catch up.

NanaMiku

Same here - I've been clearing all the skirmishes as they pop up, and have been trying to level up my B team in the process (since my A team is wiping the floor with these goons and getting little EXP). But then when I go back to do story missions, they're a cakewalk. Will probably do another 6-7 main missions now to catch up.
Yeah, Now, I'm only doing skirmish that area gold corrupted or training since I need the money lol.

What's the most effective way to get money?

Danjin44

I’m also trying do skirmishes but at that point most of skirmishes and training battles are advance class level 5 which can be very tough at times.

I’m not really getting bored because battles are fun.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
What's the most effective way to get money?

The Money Goblin - aka Anna

Reclass her as a Sage, pump up her luck and she ends up as a magic wielder with the highest magic growth in the game that has a % chance equal to her luck of "find" 500 Gold whenever she kills an enemy.

Last edited:

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Also, on the continung tale of "Bond rings - that thing the game didn't really say much about"

Turns out there are some S-Rank bond rings that come with skills in addition to stat boosts. Some are okay, some are ridiculously useful. Got the Seliph one that grants +1 crit for every enemy killed, stuck it on Yunaka, gave her a +4 steel dagger and put her in a bush during a skirmish. Everything died.

Also got one with the Mercy skill that means I can have Louis sit on the front line dropping everything that comes at him to 1 hp so that come the following turn my weak and underlevelled characters can slide in a pick up easy kills for big exp gains.

NanaMiku

Wow, didn't realize I can use motion control on Wyvern Ride. I was frustated with the analog aim. Turns out you can change to motion control by pressing + when choosing the difficulty

On chapter 17 now. Pace picked up slightly. A few fun battles and they're hinting at a big story reveal finally.

Looked up how many chapters there are. This is definitely going to take me another week.

Chapter 17 is a very fun battle. Cant even imagine trying to get through that on Hard. They straight up put you in a meat grinder.

NanaMiku

For character that already reached the max level for advance class, do you reclass them to another class or just stay?

I'm currently playing on hard and man, some battles can be very tricky but god damn Lucina's Bonded Shield is life saver.
I'm still playing on normal and I'm still using the rewind multiple time because someone died, even though I brought my strongest party member and pretty overleveled.

For character that already reached the max level for advance class, do you reclass them to another class or just stay?

I'm still playing on normal and I'm still using the rewind multiple time because someone died, even though I brought my strongest party member and pretty overleveled.
I'd keep getting them stat boosts. There's supposedly some way to drop them to level 1 also. Don't leave anyone at max that you plan on using.

Sigurd's bond battle is pretty ridiculous. When they line up multiple mages with 3 health bars that can all 1 shot you, I don't really know what the strategy is. You can break if you manage to get a hand to hand fighter in close without dying but they just can't take out 3 health bars. They come back and kill anyone nearby.

On hard you'll probably have to rely on consumables. Silence, pure water, etc.

Last edited:

Jsisto

This game is so weird. The most bland, uninteresting story imaginable, wrapped up in some of the best gameplay the series has to offer. I’m enjoying it a lot. With how barebones and predictable the story is, kinda takes me back to old school JRPGs where it was pretty surface level good vs evil and everything was super colorful. Reminds me a lot of Shining Force in that way. Not a bad thing and kind of a breath of fresh air, actually!

Danjin44

Chapter 22 down.
I'm currently in Chapter 15 doing DLC maps. Camilla's map was tough.
This game is so weird. The most bland, uninteresting story imaginable, wrapped up in some of the best gameplay the series has to offer. I’m enjoying it a lot. With how barebones and predictable the story is, kinda takes me back to old school JRPGs where it was pretty surface level good vs evil and everything was super colorful. Reminds me a lot of Shining Force in that way. Not a bad thing and kind of a breath of fresh air, actually!
I kind of agree, I'm really enjoying the crap out of the game but no one should go in to this game for its story, there isn't much there. I would say its kind similar experience with SMTV, FANTASTIC combat and exploration but there is barely character development in the game.

I'm currently in Chapter 15 doing DLC maps. Camilla's map was tough.

I kind of agree, I'm really enjoying the crap out of the game but no one should go in to this game for its story, there isn't much there. I would say its kind similar experience with SMTV, FANTASTIC combat and exploration but there is barely character development in the game.
Camilla is awesome. Its tempting.

Im at like 56 hours. Been skipping most skirmishes for a while and haven't even touched online. Game is huge.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Camilla is awesome. Its tempting.

Im at like 56 hours. Been skipping most skirmishes for a while and haven't even touched online. Game is huge.
I like how they doing the Emblem DLC, other than Edelgard/Dimitri/Claude, most of them you have to beat each Emblem in battle in order use them and each have unique maps.

I'm doing some skirmishes but they tough on hard, unlike the story fights, skirmishes scale up as you level up, so they can be very high level.

I'm currently 79 hours in and still chapter 15.

NanaMiku

I feel like this with most Nintendo games. And Nintendo always focus on the gameplay, story is always afterthought. So I already accepted the story in Engage is nothing special lol. I always like the support story more in FE than the main story.

Doom85

I feel like this with most Nintendo games. And Nintendo always focus on the gameplay, story is always afterthought. So I already accepted the story in Engage is nothing special lol. I always like the support story more in FE than the main story.

Perhaps, but mind you Fire Emblem is developed by Intelligent Systems, and Nintendo only publishes it. Hence why there are FE entries with stronger emphasis on story, same with Monolift Soth being the ones who develop the Xenoblade games.

I‘m hoping the next entry has the perfect balance. Three Houses had strong story, cast, and battle gameplay, but the school stuff was too much and could have been simplified. Engage though has strong gameplay and no fluff, but the characters and story do absolutely nothing for me.

Or they could make it easy for themselves and bring Gamecube games to the Switch Online service as Path of Radiance, AKA best Fire Emblem, already achieved that perfect balance two decades ago.

Just Saying Amanda Seales GIF by NBC

Jsisto

Perhaps, but mind you Fire Emblem is developed by Intelligent Systems, and Nintendo only publishes it. Hence why there are FE entries with stronger emphasis on story, same with Monolift Soth being the ones who develop the Xenoblade games.

I‘m hoping the next entry has the perfect balance. Three Houses had strong story, cast, and battle gameplay, but the school stuff was too much and could have been simplified. Engage though has strong gameplay and no fluff, but the characters and story do absolutely nothing for me.

Or they could make it easy for themselves and bring Gamecube games to the Switch Online service as Path of Radiance, AKA best Fire Emblem, already achieved that perfect balance two decades ago.

I see you’re a man of good taste as well. Although I’d say Path of Radiance and Radiant dawn together make the best fire emblem game. Hell of a story, I doubt they’ll ever surpass it. At this point though, I’d prefer a full remake with some QOL updates.

NanaMiku

Monolith Soft are the most different since they are the most recent and famous for the story. Intelligent System have been with Nintendo since their beginning.

But after some digging, I found out that the scenario writer for Engage is the same as Awakening and Fates. One of the writer for Path of Radiance is a sub producer for Engage

Astral Dog

There is nothing wrong with that, problem i have with the story complainers(in many other modern JRPGs as well) , critics are unfairly punishing Engage for focusing on the core gameplay design rather than the 'narrative' , and because its not Four Houses 🤷🏻‍♂️

Intelligent Systems made a worthy Fire Emblem game imho, one that improves on the technical and visuals aspects over its predecessor, and while its also simplistic on the narrative side and 'lacking' some features(that were divisive among the fans) , it is also a high quality strategy game that anyone can enjoy, im having a blast paying it and say its easily one of the best games in the Switch lineup, game is high quality.

I also find bizarre, how Three Houses with such poor graphics and looking ugly as sin on the Switch, got that level of praise while not acknowledging at least how Engage made an effort to upgrade the attack animations, textures, models, etc. Sure, we don't play these games for the visuals only, but alot of effort and care was put into making FE Engage look as good as it does, just seems everybody assumes its much worse than Three Houses instead of giving it a chance.it also doesn't need 3 campaings

To me the characters are what's important, i don't play these games for the narrative(if i did, i would have missed many of my favorite games ever lol )FE Engage does have a clumsy plot with silly dialogue and awful VA, but i let it pass because the game is so fun and deserves praise, for what its worth i like how they cleverly include many fan favorite characters into the lore of this title, while making it its own thing, basically like Fire Emblem Warriors but done well (i want to play the Warriors version of this game 😁)

Last edited:

NanaMiku

There is nothing wrong with that, problem i have with the story complainers(in many other modern JRPGs as well) , critics are unfairly punishing Engage for focusing on the core gameplay design rather than the 'narrative' , and because its not Four Houses 🤷🏻‍♂️

Intelligent Systems made a worthy Fire Emblem game imho, one that improves on the technical and visuals aspects over its predecessor, and while its also simplistic on the narrative side and 'lacking' some features(that were divisive among the fans) , it is also a high quality strategy game that anyone can enjoy, im having a blast paying it and say its easily one of the best games in the Switch lineup, game is high quality.

I also find bizarre, how Three Houses with such poor graphics and looking ugly as sin on the Switch, got that level of praise while not acknowledging at least how Engage made an effort to upgrade the attack animations, textures, models, etc. Sure, we don't play these games for the visuals only, but alot of effort and care was put into making FE Engage look as good as it does, but it seems everybody assumes its much worse than Three Houses instead of giving it a chance.it also doesn't need 3 campaings

To me the characters are what's important, i don't play these games for the narrative(if i did, i would have missed many of my favorite games ever lol )FE Engage does have a clumsy plot with silly dialogue and awful VA, but i let it pass because the game is so fun and deserves praise, for what its worth i like how they cleverly include many fan favorite characters into the lore of this title, while making it its own thing, its basically Fire Emblem Warriors but done well (i want to play the Warriors versiom of this game 😁)
From what I saw, most people that didn't give a chance to Engage because of the character design. They don't like the toothpaste color of the main character and the design is more "anime."

Three Houses was also bad in the perfomance. So many frame rate drop in the monastery.

My complain for Engage is that the characters are a bit too many lol

Jsisto

From what I saw, most people that didn't give a chance to Engage because of the character design. They don't like the toothpaste color of the main character and the design is more "anime."

Three Houses was also bad in the perfomance. So many frame rate drop in the monastery.

I havent seen total numbers, but I think it’s more how quickly they throw characters at you in this one than there being a huge amount. At first I was a little iffy on the characters, a lot of them are goofy looking as you said. There's a certain charm to them though that’s really growing on me. They’re so vibrant and really harken back to character designs from the 16 bit era to me.

Jsisto

What cracks me up most about the story is how you continually find high ranking individuals essential to their respective nations wandering around alone in the wilderness in the middle of a war. You gotta love it. 😂

” Oh hey wussup I’m the heir to the throne, how’s it goin”?

Last edited:

Astral Dog

yeah, unfortunately that's were the division starts.

i thought Three Houses looked uninspired and bland, but understand why some people liked it, takes itself slightly more seriously/ 'grounded' and resembles other strategy games, i even heard they complained about the fantasy elements lol to me you can't make a game Anime enough 😁but anyways, if this was the game Intelligent Systems wanted to make, im happy with Engage and how it turned out.

If they want to give another shot at dark fantasy i would rather see a Gothic inspired Fire Emblem someday, with werewolves, zombies, vampires and that stuff 🎃🏰could work

Last edited:

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Hard is pretty hard.

I overlevelled so the story missions aren't much of a challenge, but holy crap do some of the skirmishes do a number on me. They come in hard and the AI knows how to set up the chain attacks to tear down your tanks and dodge tanks. Up to a point I could just put Yunaka in a bush at a choke point and nobody would be able to touch her but now the damn AI sets up group attacks so that she gets chewed up by support attacks within a couple of turns. Clever bastard. Frustrating, but bloody good fun if you like a challenge.

The Somniel sucks though. I didn't mind the school in FE3H but the Somniel is just repetitive, yet frustratingly necessary for all the bond fragments and materials it provides.

Jsisto

The time reversal mechanic in the recent games is such a great idea. I’m 36. I dont want to spend 40 minutes of my life on a battle only to restart from the beginning if I lose a character due to a random, unexpected critical hit. I think it may be a little too generous with the amount of uses it gives you per battle, but it strikes a nice middleground between classic fire emblem and casual mode.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Hard is pretty hard.

I overlevelled so the story missions aren't much of a challenge, but holy crap do some of the skirmishes do a number on me. They come in hard and the AI knows how to set up the chain attacks to tear down your tanks and dodge tanks. Up to a point I could just put Yunaka in a bush at a choke point and nobody would be able to touch her but now the damn AI sets up group attacks so that she gets chewed up by support attacks within a couple of turns. Clever bastard. Frustrating, but bloody good fun if you like a challenge.
475dddb7-df31-4c02-8101-1b0b011a5672_text.gif

Skirmishes on hard can be absolutely be brutal, but I love it.

The time reversal mechanic in the recent games is such a great idea. I’m 36. I dont want to spend 40 minutes of my life on a battle only to restart from the beginning if I lose a character due to a random, unexpected critical hit. I think it may be a little too generous with the amount of uses it gives you per battle, but it strikes a nice middleground between classic fire emblem and casual mode.
In hard mode its necessary, you can miss even 95% of hit meanwhile enemies can critical hit even its only 2%.

Last edited:

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse

In hard mode its necessary, you can miss even 95% of hit meanwhile enemies can critical hit even its only 2%.

I can attest to this.

Despite my earlier talk about never using it, I've been pushed so hard on a couple of recent fights that I've relented to using the time reversal. Now sticking to a rule of no more than 3 uses per battle, but have to admit that hard mode has really given me a challenge this time around.

Danjin44

I can attest to this.

Despite my earlier talk about never using it, I've been pushed so hard on a couple of recent fights that I've relented to using the time reversal. Now sticking to a rule of no more than 3 uses per battle, but have to admit that hard mode has really given me a challenge this time around.
One time one of the enemy unit did critical hit twice in the row and only had 1% chance to do it. HOOOOOOOOW!? My units other hand has 38% to critical hit and they rarely do.

Last edited:
One time one of the enemy unit did critical hit twice in the row and only had 1% chance to do it. HOOOOOOOOW!? My units other hand has 38% to critical hit and they rarely do.
Kagetsu is at like 60% crit now for me on normal lol. Wo dao+5. Level 25 or so. +crit engraving. Its just nonstop

Danjin44

Kagetsu is at like 60% crit now for me on normal lol. Wo dao+5. Level 25 or so. +crit engraving. Its just nonstop
I think Engage's hard mode % just works very differently, it was same thing in 3House's maddening mode. For example enemy that has 40% hit you but actually they have 70% chance to hit you. the only guarantee that they wont hit you is at 0%.

Last edited:

Jsisto

Yup. I started out on hard mode and I'm glad I did. Good challenge! I also kind of like that a crit is a crit if you don't change things up. It seems to be locked in even if you rewind time. Prevents you from abusing the reversal and makes you rethink positioning.

Danjin44

Yup. I started out on hard mode and I'm glad I did. Good challenge! I also kind of like that a crit is a crit if you don't change things up. It seems to be locked in even if you rewind time. Prevents you from abusing the reversal and makes you rethink positioning.
Yup, once they dodge your attack or do crit its locked it doesn't matter how many times you restart the fight. The only way to change it is if you drastically do different thing.

Last edited:

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Yup, once they dodge your attack or do crit its locked it doesn't matter how many times you restart the fight. The only way to change it is if you drastically do different thing.

Nah, the rolls are in a sequence. All you need to do to change the outcome is have someone else roll that number off and then you can try again.

For example, you move Louis in to attack an enemy, he has a 75% chance to hit but manages to miss. If you then rewind to before he attacked and have someone else attack any other unit they'll take the roll that Louis missed on (so try to use someone who has a 100% chance to hit) and after that if you then try your attack with Louis again he'll hit based on a different number.

It's like the game lines up all of the rolls at the start of a battle and then you're just popping numbers off the top of a stack.

Danjin44

Nah, the rolls are in a sequence. All you need to do to change the outcome is have someone else roll that number off and then you can try again.

For example, you move Louis in to attack an enemy, he has a 75% chance to hit but manages to miss. If you then rewind to before he attacked and have someone else attack any other unit they'll take the roll that Louis missed on (so try to use someone who has a 100% chance to hit) and after that if you then try your attack with Louis again he'll hit based on a different number.

It's like the game lines up all of the rolls at the start of a battle and then you're just popping numbers off the top of a stack.
You have a point unfortunately for me I did that once, the other unit I chose to fight him had 86% chance to hit aaaaaaand still missed.
9f275d42-130e-444c-a7bb-b90f23958fc2_text.gif

Last edited:

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
You have a point unfortunately for me I did that once, the other unit I chose to fight him had 86% chance to hit aaaaaaand still missed.
9f275d42-130e-444c-a7bb-b90f23958fc2_text.gif

Yeah, happened to me. Missed a 60%-ish chance to hit with armour on mage at which point the character died to the counter attack, so hit rewind and used Alear to attack another unit but ended up missing that despite her having a 98% chance to hit. Thankfully Alear could take the return hit (barely) and step away which in turn allowed the orignal character to kill their target and reposition (Canter abuse is real) between Alear and her would-be attacker.

For added pain though, that unit got only one stat gain from the level gained by killing the unit that had killed them pre-rewind. Levelling rolls appear to be decided at the start of a battle and are completely unaffected by rewind.

Last edited:

Chastten

Started tonight, and so far I'm liking it. Switched to Japanese voices as I didnt like the English song upon booting the game and they're fine.

The story is... fine. Not great or even good, but based on this thread I was expecting a lot worse so that's nice. I'm not expecting anything beyond a standard anime/saturday morning cartoon level so if it manages to do that, I'm satisfied. Liking the combat so far, and seeing all these familiar faces feels great.

Jsisto

Oh thats interesting. Thanks for sharing that!

Top Bottom