• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firefox |OT|

Random but, I cannot go to roadrunnerrecords.com with Firefox. Works in chrome.
I have cleared the cache, deleted cookies. Can't figure it out.

Works fine here. Using Firefox 28.0.
ir6jgJQZssjam.PNG

malfcn

I am on v30. It has been like this for a year. Maybe uninstall / reinstall Firefox. But then I think I will lose stuff?

I am on v30. It has been like this for a year. Maybe uninstall / reinstall Firefox. But then I think I will lose stuff?

Before you do that, trying isolating the exact cause of the issue.

Backup your user profile (guide to locating it), and start Firefox using a clean, new profile.

Try heading to the site again. If it works, something in your profile is at fault, most likely an addon or a plugin, in which case you can just disable/enable them one at a time to find the responsible one.

malfcn

Reset fixed it. Cool beans.
Now to make about:newtab my homepage again.
But I always forget how to and how I had it arranged.

Dambrosi

Banned
Has anyone else noticed that Firefox 31 has changed the way closing tabs behaves? As in, it no longer reverts to the last tab viewed when the current tab is closed, and some tabs refuse to close. Or is it just me?

EDIT: And just then, after a restart, it showed me the Firefox Start Page before reverting to my previous session as usual. It's never done this before. Time for a re-install, perhaps?

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
They had actually removed them from Mac a while back, so I'm assuming they don't particularly think this is useful -- and it's not if you have a middle click button on your mouse -- but if you don't, it can get annoying.

Hrm, I just notice that I don't have them on Firefox 30, but maybe it's because I modified it.

Reset fixed it. Cool beans.
Now to make about:newtab my homepage again.
But I always forget how to and how I had it arranged.
You don't recall how to setup your home page setting? You just go to Options and then view the General tab.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
So ff updated like 2 hrs ago and now I get logged out of here/fb like every 20mins. I've changed nothing in terms of settings/addons etc for ages on this pc/browser. Is there a way to fix this?

inm8num2

Nearly lost patience with v29+. Too many problems with add-ons, slower than v28, etc. I was right in my initial judgment to not install an update that would require a third party add-on to restore basic functionality.

Is downgrading just a matter of installing an older version over the current install, or do I need to uninstall v30 first?

Not sure which version of v28 to grab. Seems all the old installers are here. I presume the 'b' in something like '28.0.b0' stands for beta. I don't see a '28.0.1' anywhere, though, so I guess 28.0 was the only final release of FF 28.

hateradio

x.y.z is the most up to date version of Firefox, eg 28.0.1.

I really only use the more popular addons, so everything works fine. Although, I think it's time to dump Scriptish since its updates are not getting through.

PGamer

fucking juniors
How long has embedded youtube videos been broken on firefox android? Can't get them to work on my tablet or PC.

I just tried watching an embedded YouTube video on my phone with Firefox Android 31.0 and it worked fine. Are you having issues with a specific page?

Ever since Mozilla started developing their Android port of Firefox, it seems like their Desktop version has been going down in quality and performance. Every time I install a brand new version of Firefox, I experience the same problem: stuttering youtube videos. Open the same video or a different youtube video in Chrome (with extensions), and the video runs like butter. No stuttering.

I have tried everything from clearing my cache, DNS, removing extentions, completely uninstalling Firefox and reinstalling it, nothing seems to fix this inherent chronic problem of Firefox.

I loved this browser back in the early 2000s, but now, I donno. Love the UI, but the performance just stinks, have no choice but to stick to Chrome.

Any thoughts?

XDDX

Ever since Mozilla started developing their Android port of Firefox, it seems like their Desktop version has been going down in quality and performance. Every time I install a brand new version of Firefox, I experience the same problem: stuttering youtube videos. Open the same video or a different youtube video in Chrome (with extensions), and the video runs like butter. No stuttering.

I have tried everything from clearing my cache, DNS, removing extentions, completely uninstalling Firefox and reinstalling it, nothing seems to fix this inherent chronic problem of Firefox.

I loved this browser back in the early 2000s, but now, I donno. Love the UI, but the performance just stinks, have no choice but to stick to Chrome.

Any thoughts?
Runs better than ever for me. It's really hard to know what the problem is sometimes since there can be so many variables. Overall I haven't had any issues with Firefox lately.

Rktk

Runs better than ever for me. It's really hard to know what the problem is sometimes since there can be so many variables. Overall I haven't had any issues with Firefox lately.

If the problem is with YouTube specifically it would be worth seeing if the stuttering problem persists for HTML5 videos or just with Flash. Firefox has always ran well on my desktop and the issues I used to have on my laptop were to do with Flash and seem to have resolved themselves.

Mr_Zombie

Firefox runs well on my home PC, but I have problems with it at work.

After running for a while (an hour or two) with several tabs open, or after entering a page with a lot of gifs/high-quality images, it starts to shit itself. Parts of the window (or sometimes a whole window) turns black and after few minutes it crashes. I read that this can be due to high memory usage (I've never seen FF exceeded 1.5GB of RAM) or memory leaks. But even after disabling most of my plugins (leaving only those that I really need and that I know are well-developed) it still happens. :/

I'm using Firefox beta on Android and videos started working like 2 or so weeks ago. Just letting you know.

Yeah, I tested MobileGAF on my PC earlier today and was pleasantly surprised to find out it works again. Haven't tried it on the tablet yet, but I'll take your word for it :)

Holy crap!
I love the new right click menu!
I was confused for a while looking for the refresh option, and it's now a big button!
10/10

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Is there an alternate link for the live thread/yt me again greasemonkey scripts? That userscripts site appears to be offline. I switched from Chrome to FF again and I need these

(if there is an alternate link, the op should be updated)

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
Did GAF recently implement some JS/AJAX stuff to auto-refresh the forum view when you navigate back out of a thread (via back/thumb button) or is this a new Firefox "feature", because I don't like it.

LQX

Anyone on firefox 32.0.1? I updated yesterday and nearly every website is fucked up. Missing pictures, alignment issues, ect. Disabled add-ons and it is still messed up.

PGamer

fucking juniors
Did GAF recently implement some JS/AJAX stuff to auto-refresh the forum view when you navigate back out of a thread (via back/thumb button) or is this a new Firefox "feature", because I don't like it.

I'm not getting that behaviour at all.

Anyone on firefox 32.0.1? I updated yesterday and nearly every website is fucked up. Missing pictures, alignment issues, ect. Disabled add-ons and it is still messed up.

I'm on 32.0.1 and haven't noticed any issues. Sounds like a problem on your end.

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not getting that behaviour at all.

Hm, okay. It's really strange and I can't consitently reproduce it, but it happens sometimes. I don't have any addons installed that would cause this behaviour either. Guess I'll try Chrome for a bit to check if it happens there too.

Curufinwe

Why the hell do they keep making it so hard to have minimal line spacing in the Bookmarks folder? I installed the latest update and now my bookmarks don't fit on the laptop screen anymore. And of course the Classic Compact theme is still not compatible.

I couldn't get any of the userChrome.css line spacing reduction code to work, but this at least removed the Bookmarks Toolbar folder.

@namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);
/* Hide Bookmarks Toolbar Folder */

#BMB_bookmarksToolbar,
#BMB_bookmarksToolbar + menuseparator,
#appmenu_bookmarksToolbar,
#appmenu_bookmarksToolbar + menuseparator,
#bookmarksToolbarFolderMenu,
#bookmarksToolbarFolderMenu + menuseparator,
#BMB_unsortedBookmarks,
#appmenu_unsortedBookmarks,
menuseparator.hide-if-empty-places-result {
display: none !important;
}

Schrade

Why the hell do they keep making it so hard to have minimal line spacing in the Bookmarks folder? I installed the latest update and now my bookmarks don't fit on the laptop screen anymore. And of course the Classic Compact theme is still not compatible.

I couldn't get any of the userChrome.css line spacing reduction code to work, but this at least removed the Bookmarks Toolbar folder.

/* Hide Bookmarks Toolbar Folder */

#BMB_bookmarksToolbar,
#BMB_bookmarksToolbar + menuseparator,
#appmenu_bookmarksToolbar,
#appmenu_bookmarksToolbar + menuseparator,
#bookmarksToolbarFolderMenu,
#bookmarksToolbarFolderMenu + menuseparator,
#BMB_unsortedBookmarks,
#appmenu_unsortedBookmarks,
menuseparator.hide-if-empty-places-result {
display: none !important;
}

This is what I use:

Code:

#bookmarksMenu, #navigator-toolbox menupopup menu, #navigator-toolbox menupopup menuitem {
 height: 12px !important;
 font-size: 12px !important;
-moz-appearance: none !important;
 padding-top: 0px !important;
 padding-bottom: 0px !important;
 margin-top: 0px !important;
 margin-bottom: 0px !important;
}

#bookmarksMenu,#navigator-toolbox toolbarseparator {
 margin:0 -4px !important;
}

menuitem.bookmark-item > .menu-iconic-left {
 margin-top: -4px !important;
 margin-bottom: -4px !important;
}

But I use PaleMoon because it doesn't have the idiocy of the latest Firefox UIs.

I think I also use another one that reduces padding further but it's a mess since I never finalized it/cleaned it up.

I'll dump it here because both of them work together to make the menus I want but I don't want to be bothered to reduce the duplicate settings and combine them into one yet :)

Anyhow, here it is:

Code:

/* *** This is the one!!! *** */

/*Reduce line spacing in bookmarks and other pull-down menus: */
menupopup > menu, popup > menu, menupopup > menuitem, popup > menuitem
{-moz-appearance: none !important; padding-top: 0px !important; padding-bottom: 0px !important;}
.menu-accel, .menu-iconic-accel, .menu-text, .menu-iconic-text
{margin-top: 0px !important; margin-bottom: 0px !important;}

menuseparator {margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px !important;} 

menupopup menu, menupopup menuitem {
    height:14px!important;
    font-size:12px!important;
    }
    menuseparator {margin: -3px 3px -3px 0px !important;}

#contentAreaContextMenu menuitem {height:14px!important;font-size:13px!important}

.menu-accel, .menu-iconic-accel,
.menu-text, .menu-iconic-text {
margin-top: 1px !important;
padding-top: 0px !important;
padding-bottom: 0px !important;
min-height: 17px !important;
max-height: 17px !important;
}

#bookmarksMenu,#navigator-toolbox menupopup menu,
#navigator-toolbox menupopup menuitem {
 height:14px!important;
 font-size:12px!important;
}

#bookmarksMenu,#navigator-toolbox toolbarseparator {
 margin:0 -4px !important;
}

/* decrease space between bookmark items */
/* main menu - folders */
menu.bookmark-item > .menu-iconic-left {
  margin-top: -1px !important;
}
/* menu items */
menuitem.bookmark-item > .menu-iconic-left > .menu-iconic-icon {
  margin-top: 0px !important;
}

No clue if these help the latest, crappy Firefox UI. Haven't tested it.

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
Did the new version of Firefox add some kind of auto-reload or refresh when hitting back? It keeps doing this to me on GAF and it's annoying as hell, I want to turn it off. :/

You have the same problem as me, which I posted a few posts above. It is definitely a Firefox issue, as I don't have the problem with Chrome. I've nailed the problem down to the cache. If you clear your cache, it won't happen until your cache reaches 350 MB (default size) again (which happens pretty fast), so I guess they have somehow fucked up the automatic cache management. As the cache is full, it reloads the page when you hit back instead of fetching it from the cache. I've not found a solution yet, it's not a plugin/addon problem, because it also happens in safe mode. I guess I'll try creating a new Firefox profile, maybe the settings got messed up somehow with a recent upgrade.

PGamer

fucking juniors
You have the same problem as me, which I posted a few posts above. It is definitely a Firefox issue, as I don't have the problem with Chrome. I've nailed the problem down to the cache. If you clear your cache, it won't happen until your cache reaches 350 MB (default size) again (which happens pretty fast), so I guess they have somehow fucked up the automatic cache management. As the cache is full, it reloads the page when you hit back instead of fetching it from the cache. I've not found a solution yet, it's not a plugin/addon problem, because it also happens in safe mode. I guess I'll try creating a new Firefox profile, maybe the settings got messed up somehow with a recent upgrade.

Interesting. I have my cache set to clear on exit so perhaps that's why I'm not experiencing this issue.

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
Creating a new profile without any addons installed didn't solve the issue for me. I can't think of any other cause on my part at the moment, so I assume it's a bug on their side. Guess I'll use Chrome until they fix it.

Seems like there is already a similar bug report (and lots of cache related bugs in general) on their bug tracker: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1065234

hateradio

I haven't come across that issue, but I use Cyberfox for most of my browsing, with normal Firefox on occasion.

If you're using Windows 8.1 and Firefox 32.0.2 and above, color emoji are finally enabled! These were in the Nightly since 32, but they're finally here! 😄

qNycHaG.png

(With my userscript enabled.)

Sagitario

I'm also having the auto-reload issue while browsing GAF. Clearing the cache fixed it for now.
Weird that I haven't noticed the issue at work or other sites besides GAF, so I guess GAF must fill the cache pretty damn quickly.

Windam

Scaley member
Using Firefox 32.0.2 and with two tabs open (one being GAF, and the other a YouTube video), Firefox and Flash are using a stupid amount of memory. Wtf?

1B6o6vq.png

Dany

Banned
I haven't come across that issue, but I use Cyberfox for most of my browsing, with normal Firefox on occasion.

If you're using Windows 8.1 and Firefox 32.0.2 and above, color emoji are finally enabled! These were in the Nightly since 32, but they're finally here! 😄

qNycHaG.png

(With my userscript enabled.)

They're not imgur links like the chrome plug in?

kharma45

33.0 is out now.

That's come around quicker than I expected. Seems no time since 32.

Edit - It's still doing that fucking thing though where it doesn't let me use the URL bar. I can type in websites but when I hit return to go to one or click the arrow in the URL bar it doesn't do a thing. Only option is to remove Firefox and reinstall. BAH.

Top Bottom