• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firefox |OT|

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
They're not imgur links like the chrome plug in?
I think Andrex made another quick reply thing for Chrome that used images, but mine only uses native Emoji: the wave of the future. 🌊

Chrome doesn't display them because it's broken, but my extension fixes that, by enabling a system font.

Razia

Okay, whatever that latest update was, it broke firefox for me.

This is what I see when I launch it.

avqoEDf.png

I've already unistalled and reinstalled it. Same thing. Can anyone help?

Im_Special

If you have already reinstalled then maybe your settings are still carrying over and causing the problems, try starting firefox in safe mode without addons enabled, or try Help > Troubleshoot Information > 'Reset Firefox' button.

Dany

Banned
I think Andrex made another quick reply thing for Chrome that used images, but mine only uses native Emoji: the wave of the future. 🌊

Chrome doesn't display them because it's broken, but my extension fixes that, by enabling a system font.

OH, do you have a link to those?

Okay, whatever that latest update was, it broke firefox for me.

This is what I see when I launch it.

I've already unistalled and reinstalled it. Same thing. Can anyone help?

Hold Shift when launching Firefox, start it in safe mode. This should restore the menus and make it possible to edit the settings.
Click on the "Three Bars"/Open Menu button underneath the Close button.
From there, go to Options -> Advanced -> General.
Uncheck the box that says "Use hardware acceleration when available".

You've probably fixed it by now, just posting the method here so no one else is frantically trying to find a fix on a browser that isn't currently lacking all detail.

Razia

Hold Shift when launching Firefox, start it in safe mode. This should restore the menus and make it possible to edit the settings.
Click on the "Three Bars"/Open Menu button underneath the Close button.
From there, go to Options -> Advanced -> General.
Uncheck the box that says "Use hardware acceleration when available".

You've probably fixed it by now, just posting the method here so no one else is frantically trying to find a fix on a browser that isn't currently lacking all detail.

That worked! Thank you so much!

Schrade

Does anyone tag their bookmarks? I've never bothered with it before.

I do. And I sometimes add keywords for them, too.

Like the link to PSPlus free games I make psplus the keyword and it's also tagged psplus free games, etc.

I do it on several bookmarks that I often link to or access frequently so if I can't be bothered to get at them in my bookmark toolbar (all folders with subfolders, organized and stuff) and I just want to go to something really quick I can type in some tags or a keyword and instantly get it.

Persona7

Banned
I do. And I sometimes add keywords for them, too.

Like the link to PSPlus free games I make psplus the keyword and it's also tagged psplus free games, etc.

I do it on several bookmarks that I often link to or access frequently so if I can't be bothered to get at them in my bookmark toolbar (all folders with subfolders, organized and stuff) and I just want to go to something really quick I can type in some tags or a keyword and instantly get it.

cool, I really need to clean my bookmarks up and i'll try this out.

BBC News - Yahoo to replace Google for search on Firefox said:
Tech giant Yahoo will now replace online leader Google as the default search engine on Firefox's internet browsers in the US.
Yahoo said it would launch a "clean, modern and immersive design" search engine for Firefox users starting in December.

The news comes as Google's arrangement with Firefox maker Mozilla nears an end after a decade-long partnership.

Market leader Google accounts for 67% of searches from US desktop computers.

That compares to about 20% for Microsoft and 10% for Yahoo, according to research firm comScore.

Yahoo chief executive Marisa Mayer called the five-year deal with Firefox "the most significant partnership for Yahoo in five years".

"At Yahoo, we believe deeply in search - it's an area of investment and opportunity for us," she added.

Catching Google
Firefox users in the US will be automatically directed to search results on Yahoo's website when they enter a subject into the small box that appears at the top of the browser.

Firefox, however, does lag behind Google Chrome in the US browser market.

It accounts for about 10% of browsers on desktop computers, mobiles and tablets compared to over 33% for Google Chrome in October, according to tech data firm StatCounter.

Along with ending its partnership with Google in the US, Mozilla is also directing Firefox to Baidu's search engine in China and Yandex in Russia.

"Our new search strategy doubles down on our commitment to make Firefox a browser for everyone, with more choice and opportunity for innovation," said Mozilla chief executive Chris Beard.

Meanwhile, just last month, Google chairman Eric Schmidt had said that the firm's biggest rival in online search was e-commerce giant Amazon and not competitors like Yahoo.

Globally, Google accounts for about 90% of the online search market.
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-30125077

Sagitario

Firefox 34 is out: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/34.0/releasenotes/

Firefox 34.0 was released on December 1, 2014. It now has a Firefox Hello real-time communication client, an improved search bar, and the implementation of HTTP/2 (draft14) and ALPN, and other features; it also enables the ability to recover from a locked Firefox process and to switch themes and personas directly in the Customizing mode and disables SSLv3

I didn't get (or can't find) the Hello button
2014-10-30-17-37-19-5d4140.png

FFHELLO-e1413409560860.png

Sagitario

So, when closing multiple tabs in a private browsing window, there is no quit warning anymore, regardless of preferences.
I checked about:config, and everything seems to be set correctly.

Sagitario

This would help me switch back to Firefox too
Hopefully it will be more stable than the Android version. It crashes so freaking often that I can't rely on it as my main browser, I constantly lose my tabs/session. It's too bad because it has many great options. So, for now, Opera and Chrome are my main ones.

Megasoum

Banned
Well... I'm getting tired of Chrome so I decided to give Firefox another go.

I installed it, set up my bookmarks, passwords. Installed 2-3 addons (gmail notifiers, greasemonkey to use GAF Live Thread, etc).

The only "issue" I noticed so far is that it feels like the font is different on gaf?

Any must have settings/addons/options whatever I should know?

Is there a way to make the adress bar to work like the Chrome bar? I know that if I type in something that is not an actual website adress it will take me to google which is good but the Chrome will also suggest stuff as you type and other things like that.

Also, is there any ways to get the chrome style buttons on top? Like the Stop/Refresh button left of the address bar instead of having the tiny thing all the way to right. Etc?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Is there a way to prevent the search bar spawn "search with google, search with facebook" etc.?

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Well... I'm getting tired of Chrome so I decided to give Firefox another go.

I installed it, set up my bookmarks, passwords. Installed 2-3 addons (gmail notifiers, greasemonkey to use GAF Live Thread, etc).

The only "issue" I noticed so far is that it feels like the font is different on gaf?

Any must have settings/addons/options whatever I should know?

Is there a way to make the adress bar to work like the Chrome bar? I know that if I type in something that is not an actual website adress it will take me to google which is good but the Chrome will also suggest stuff as you type and other things like that.

Also, is there any ways to get the chrome style buttons on top? Like the Stop/Refresh button left of the address bar instead of having the tiny thing all the way to right. Etc?
FXChrome if you want a Chrome-like style.

I don't know about the fonts though. They look the same.

beat

Is there a way to prevent the search bar spawn "search with google, search with facebook" etc.?

Yeah. Go into the about:config page (type "about:config" into the URL bar and hit return), then search for "search". Turn the browser.search.showOneOffButtons value to false by right clicking the value ("true" by default) and selecting "Toggle".

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah. Go into the about:config page (type "about:config" into the URL bar and hit return), then search for "search". Turn the browser.search.showOneOffButtons value to false by right clicking the value ("true" by default) and selecting "Toggle".

Thanks, no more pesky stuff on search!

If you have already reinstalled then maybe your settings are still carrying over and causing the problems, try starting firefox in safe mode without addons enabled, or try Help > Troubleshoot Information > 'Reset Firefox' button.

OR just remove your profile and Firefox will create a brand new one: %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\

This fixes most of my glitches with FF.

PGamer

fucking juniors
Updated to Firefox 36.0 and I'm still not getting the option for 60 FPS YouTube videos. Is there something going wrong here or what?

Edit: Apparently full MSE support isn't enabled in 36.0 by default so no 60 FPS videos yet. Hopefully they get it working for 37.0.

Road

Updated to Firefox 36.0 and I'm still not getting the option for 60 FPS YouTube videos. Is there something going wrong here or what?

It's been pushed to 37 due to bugs.

But I think you can enabled it yourself by opening the about:config page and setting media.mediasource.enabled to true.

dLMN8R

Opening tabs in the background? Isn't that the default action when doing right-click>"open in new tab" or middle click or ctrl+left click?

Sure, but I'm looking for a keyboard shortcut.

Reading Feedly is super quick when I can use j and k to navigate to the next/previous item, 's' to save an item for later, and ';' to open a tab in the background.

I found this Greasemonkey script but it's pretty old and doesn't appear to work with Feedly properly anymore.

Top Bottom