• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRIDAYTON MK II: 5.5 million bears and salmon create unholy allliance to sack SONY HQ

Justin

So there's this as a caveat.

Basically, the dev kits they have now still aren't final - the documentation won't be either, the OS isn't 100% complete.

It's like everything, we won't know until the consoles are out. Even then, stuff like this might be under NDA.

Launch games will have to start going gold in as soon as 12 weeks. 12 weeks out it seems that devs would need to know how much memory was available to them.

androvsky

Wasted GDDR5 if true... but we'll see if true.So this isn't actually "news"? It's an old slide trotted out to make a claim?

No, they claim to have leaked development documents, the slide is just there to bolster their claim... which is a bit odd, since that slide is about CPU usage, not memory.

Tom Penny

Totally ridiculous for an OS. Laughable in fact. So they were going to have .5 gig of ram if they went with 4 gig and didn't surprise everyone with 8...ok

This makes absolutely no sense. I just don't see how it can use a whole 3.5 gb just for an OS. This makes it kind of no different than an X1 right now. I'm actually happy I've never gotten into a argument when I mentioned specs because, this would of blew me away lol. Either way this is crazy. Sony definitely needs to explain this..

Minigo

how about the developer that just said that heh didn't know what to do with all dat RAM?

I and twitting yosp right now

kevm3

Cerny said he added 4 GB of ram at the behest of a developer asking for it... but eurogamer is telling us they essentially added 4GB so they can use it all up with the OS. Sounds like nonsense to me. In just a few months, Sony ballooned the OS from .5 to 1 GB to 3 GB?

Funny how it uses '3.5' GB of ram, just above the One, to convince people who don't know much about tech that the one can use more for it's games.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
3 gigs for the os...what a waste

sounds like bloatware

You clearly can't read or don't understand what they are doing. The OS isn't using the memory, they are reserving it for apps. They want the ability to quickly switch from game to app and back, that means you cannot have apps unloading and loading again, they want split second pauses, not multi-second ones..

Vestal

While this is pretty big news in regards to what the OS will be using, 4.5-5.5GB is a lot. ITS not a OMG DOOM.

However the whole flex memory thing has me troubled a bit.

3GB reserved for OS operations sounds fine, considering they are pushing for Apps to be run through the OS possibly concurrent with games.

I admit, I find this disappointing though not wholly surprising. Sony's OS on PS3 had significant performance problems, so I imagine this will largely alleviate the concern. But as someone who doesn't care about those bells and whistles, I guess I'd rather see less reserved.

The only thing that makes me question this is the second to last paragraph where they discuss how it is "flexible" and can be reduced "once the OS is complete." Are they implying the OS is not complete and this is therefore only an internal placeholder for now? Seems like that might be what Sony would comment on.

It was shit, lets just say it. If Sony needs that much mem for OS on the PS4 im all for it

Dynoro

Seems like that 15min of video stream comes at quite a large cost to the RAM usage. 4.5GB is still a hell of lot; so I'm more than happy.

Launch games will have to start going gold in as soon as 12 weeks. 12 weeks out it seems that devs would need to know how much memory was available to them.

Twelve weeks out, developers still aren't working on final dev kits, actually.

And twelve weeks out, tying down a safe RAM partition, might be why it's as low as it is, in Sony documentation.

SSM25

This is crazy for a UNIX based OS and a punch in the face for gamers. What tha hell were they going to do with 4 GB then?

Odrion

Banned
I see this as good news, though. Console parity is good for third party developers, and Sony should be able to offer better performance in non-gaming related and social functions.
Yeah, potential feature parity with the Xbone. We'll either see the OS get optimized with a smaller footprint, or they'll start adding in multitasking apps and stuff.

Chokomofo

Banned
Alright, GAF. You know what to do.

Head to Twitter? #3GBOS?

EDIT: This all seems strange. Shouldn't games like Killzone and Knack and whatnot be pretty close to almost completed...? If the answer is yes, they did so without knowing how much RAM they have to dedicate elsewhere? Does this even sound correct to anyone?

Raymo

Cerny said he added 4 GB of ram at the behest of a developer asking for it... but eurogamer is telling us they essentially added 4GB so they can use it all up with the OS. Sounds like nonsense to me. In just a few months, Sony ballooned the OS from .5 to 1 GB to 3 GB?

Funny how it uses '3.5' GB of ram, just above the One, to convince people who don't know much about tech that the one can use more for it's games.

A great point and it's why I am so confused. It simply doesn't make sense.

Showaddy

Eurogamer has been of shit recently, what happened to them?

The PS4 doesn't come anywhere near the One in terms of OS functions yet it's going to allocate 3.5 GB of RAM to them? Ludicrous.

Mrbob

Seems like this is the end of the world to people who didn't know what RAM is in the first place. Whether or not this is true, it'll be just fine guys.

Not really. Ram might be the most precious commodity of a game console. 3GB for an OS is a waste for systems which only have 8GB.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
You clearly can't read or don't understand what they are doing. The OS isn't using the memory, they are reserving it for apps. They want the ability to quickly switch from game to app and back, that means you cannot have apps unloading and loading again, they want split second pauses, not multi-second ones..

This would make a lot of sense coming off what Vita is dong in allocating resources for OS. Doesn't it use 512MB for game use and a separate 256mb for OS?

This would tie well into the up to 5.5 initially being available. I think this will shrink over time.

The multitasking on Vita is pretty fast for a dedicated handheld so if anything, this bodes well for the much more powerful PS4.

meppi

Makes sense. Also the instant on thing as well as doing lots of stuff in the background as well as when the system is in sleep mode might have something to do with this.

This and basic math.
Again, he's pulling it out of his ass and trying to make a point out of it, hoping that people will take it as gospel as spread it around.
Seems to e working as well. sigh.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

I realize this takes additional RAM to do but what exactly would make this so different from the Vita in terms of how much it takes to do all of that?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Seems like this is the end of the world to people who didn't know what RAM is in the first place. Whether or not this is true, it'll be just fine guys.

lol pretty much this

Exactly. If true, Sony developers have a bit more available RAM than they expected JUST for games. The OS should be better, too. Sony fanboys just have less fuel for the console war is all this amounts to.

If this is true, Cerny adding another 4GB wasn't a nice gesture, it was a necessity.
However, many devs didn't know of the 8GB till the announcement back in February so were they coding their games with 512MB of ram?

Makes no sense for it to use 3.5GB, especially since they were targeting 4GB total initially which would leave just 512MB for games.

Is this some sort of in-joke I'm not privy to? The OS would not have been planned to be 3.5 gb prior to the upgrade. The article never says it was. The article never implies it was. In fact it explicitly states that it did not:

The news that the PS4's OS reservation is in the same ballpark as Xbox One's equivalent 3GB allocation is sure to surprise many, especially bearing in mind that previously leaked Sony docs have only spoken of a 512MB allocation for the system software - though this information hails from the era where the new PlayStation was slated to ship with only 4GB of memory.

Even if you didn't read that this "problem" with the article is instantly resolved with one second of brainpower applied to it, because nobody ever said that the OS has always been designed this way.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Is that for real? Because if it is then holy shit what?

Also, for everyone stating so, Eurogamer aren't saying that the Killzone screenshot is their source. They have other sources and are using the Killzone screenshot tangentially about something else - the CPU.

Top Bottom