• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Game of the Year 2009 - Voting Thread - 3 POINT SYSTEM, rules updated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jedimike

This year seems mostly forgettable... I can't even recall the big name games that came out.

Trials HD - 3
Modern Warfare 2 - 2
Borderlands - 2
Shadow Complex - 2
1 vs 100 Season 2 - 1

hamchan

3 - Uncharted 2

2 - Assassin's Creed 2

1 - Batman Arkham Asylum
1 - Flower
1 - Mario and Luigi 3
1 - Dragon Age: Origins
1 - Forza Motorsport 3

Alex

squicken said:
Assassin's Creed 2-- 3

Batman -- 2
Red Faction Guerrilla -- 2

ODST -- 1
GTA4 TL&D -- 1
Uncharted 2 -- 1

Waiting until January is dumb. There are no meaningful releases in December. This is an enthusiast gaming forum. It is understood that people will set aside a disproportionate part of their free time to play games. If someone can't do that, or no game compels them to stay up late a few nights, then their opinion probably isn't worth tabulating.

Well, there were a lot, however, in November, still sales going on, etc. I think the votes should cater to more than the *buy six hour long game, beat six hour long game once, OMFG HYPEHYPEHYPE* crowd.

Mar

Can someone explain to me, exactly, why we need a different scoring system? What was wrong with the 1 to 10 system?

I am disappoint. I'll refrain from voting until some clarity occurs.

zoku88

Well crap, I forgot DQV was this year. Too late now -_-;;

EDIT: Oh, my original post was messed up anyway:

Dragon Quest V 3
Machinarium 2
7th Dragon 2
Muramasa 1
Little King's Story 1
Blazblue 1

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
There's no point in me even bothering to vote due to how this is set up. Voting for more than 1 game is just a waste and voting for anything but the biggest few is futile. And even then the results seem fairly predetermined.

Meh, I'm not even sure why you're changing things up. This new system is just more complicated and gives a more disproportionate result than the old system. Hell, I can't think of any benefits to using a rating hybrid like this on a preferential vote.

vanty

New Super Mario Bros Wii - 3
Demon's Souls - 2
Metroid Prime Trilogy - 2
Rhythm Heaven - 2
BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger - 1

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Grayman said:
At least all the lists have 5 games minimum now.
No they don't. And its still not beneficial for one to do so. Its just too bad that the only people to realize that are those with obvious agendas.

ZZMitch

Plants vs Zombies - 3
Uncharted 2- 2
Modern Warfare 2- 1
Halo: ODST- 1
Pokemon Platinum- 1
Borderlands- 1
Left 4 Dead 2- 1

edit- ugh, I gotta fit Left 4 Dead 2 onto this somehow... this system is pretty bad... seriously.

well good bye Halo Wars... great game too.

Dragon Age: Origins - 3
Uncharted 2 - 2
Assassin's Creed II - 1
New Super Mario Bros. Wii - 1
Infamous - 1
Resident Evil 5 - 1
F.E.A.R. 2 - 1

NIGHT-

Batman AA - 3 points
Assassins Creed 2 - 2 points
Left 4 dead 2 - 2 points
Infamous - 1 point
Killzone 2 - 1 point
Borderlands - 1 point
RE5 - 1 point
I still have a lot of games to play :D

zoku88

grandjedi6 said:
No they don't. And its still not beneficial for one to do so. Its just too bad that the only people to realize that are those with obvious agendas.
Well, 5 games minimum to maximize the use of your points.

Grayman

grandjedi6 said:
Ok yes you could make a shorter list but it is leaving points on the table like the old system did. Under the first thread maximum console warrior-ing led to 2 game votes.

ecierif

New Super Mario Bros. Wii - 3

Assassin's Creed II - 2
Metroid Prime Trilogy - 2

Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time - 1
Shadow Complex - 1
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - 1

Shinjiru

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - 3
Flower - 2
LittleBigPlanet GOTY - 2
Killzone 2 - 1
MLB 09: The Show - 1
Resident Evil 5 - 1

grandjedi6 said:
There's no point in me even bothering to vote due to how this is set up. Voting for more than 1 game is just a waste and voting for anything but the biggest few is futile. And even then the results seem fairly predetermined.

Meh, I'm not even sure why you're changing things up. This new system is just more complicated and gives a more disproportionate result than the old system. Hell, I can't think of any benefits to using a rating hybrid like this on a preferential vote.

Agreed.

I voted but the prior system (meaning last year) was better imo. All this system has done is cut down on the number of games I would have singled out as being enjoyable this year.

sensi97

Uncharted 2 - 3
Infamous - 2
Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time - 2
Resident Evil 5 - 1
Street Fighter IV - 1
Assassin’s Creed II - 1

jedimike

OMG... do you guys really care about the "rules?" The rules seem very reasonable. Don't participate if you don't like them. Just be thankful that the OP is willing to put in the dozens of hours it takes to compile this data.

feel

Halo 3 ODST --------------- 3
Uncharted 2 ---------------- 2
Batman Arkham Asylum -- 2
Left 4 Dead 2 --------------- 2
Brütal Legend --------------- 1

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Uncharted 2 - 3
Batman: Arkham Asylum - 2
Blazblue: Calamity Trigger - 1
Biohazard/Resident Evil 5 - 2
Demon's Souls - 2

jedimike said:
OMG... do you guys really care about the "rules?" The rules seem very reasonable. Don't participate if you don't like them. Just be thankful that the OP is willing to put in the dozens of hours it takes to compile this data.

Was about to say. Instead of complaining about what other people are voting for, just vote yourselves. Or, if you don't like the system in place this year, then don't vote at all.

Simple.

Mar

KilgoreTrout said:
I would start a separate thread with the typical system if it wouldn't get me banned.

I'd vote in it.

Not that I'm adverse to changing systems. I just need to know why it's changing. I'd like a clear explanation of why this system makes it better.

The ideal system IMO would just be the Anihawk voting of years past with a minimum of five ordered games per list to prevent
1. Platform Exclusive
2. Platform Exclusive
10. Imagine Babiez
type bullshit

Not sure whether I'll post a list. I like having a "level" or "tier" option of sorts (giving two games the same amount of points) but I cannot list them in a way I am happy with without kicking a game(or games) I want to recognize off the list.

I think with some tweaking I would like this system more than others used on Gaf, but I'm not exactly sure what that tweaking would be. :/

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
grandjedi6 said:

yeah, this is exactly my problem.

I don't see what timetokill's issue with the old system was? Like I said in the other thread, if it's a time thing, this year is probably the only year where I'll have the time to run it myself using the traditional ten-point system and leave it open until the end of January, so that offer still stands.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Uncharted 2 - 3 points

Assassin's Creed II - 2 points

Batman Arkham Asylum - 2 points

Infamous - 1 point

PixelJunk Shooter - 2 points.

Little King's Story - 3
NSMB Wii - 2

That is about it, haven't played a ton of games this year, but what of the other games I have played (while they may have been good) I would not feel comfortable giving them a vote for game of the year.

Sobriquet

Assassin's Creed 2 - 3
Dragon Age: Origins - 2
Batman: Arkham Asylum - 2
Modern Warfare 2 - 2
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 - 1

Uncharted 2 -- 3 pts

Batman: Arkham Asylum -- 2 pts
Assassin's Creed II -- 2 pts

Modern Warfare 2 -- 1 pt
Forza 3 -- 1 pt
Killzone 2 -- 1 pt

DeadGzuz

Banned
This is a new thread right? I don't see my old reply to edit.

inFamous - 3

Uncharted 2 - 2
Killzone 2 - 2

Ratchet and Clank: Crack in Time - 1
LBP PSP - 1
Demon's Souls - 1

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Letters said:
How did the old system work exactly? (wasn't here last year)
1. Game A - 10 points
2. Game B - 9 points
3. Game C - 8 points

10. Game J - 1 point

Grayman

lordoftherink said:
The ideal system IMO would just be the Anihawk voting of years past with a minimum of five ordered games per list to prevent
1. Platform Exclusive
2. Platform Exclusive
10. Imagine Babiez
type bullshit
Someone will always do the imagine babies bullshit. With the 5 point system in the last thread those votes were actually stronger than a "real list" though. This system may or may not be as good as the anihawk system but a 5 game list and 2 game list have the option of giving an equal number of points to the top 2 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom