• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Game of the Year 2009 - Voting Thread - 3 POINT SYSTEM, rules updated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mar

Grayman said:
Someone will always do the imagine babies bullshit. With the 5 point system in the last thread those votes were actually stronger than a "real list" though. This system may or may not be as good as the anihawk system but a 5 game list and 2 game list have the option of giving an equal number of points to the top 2 games.

And nothing to anything other than AAA titles.

Grayman said:
Someone will always do the imagine babies bullshit. With the 5 point system in the last thread those votes were actually stronger than a "real list" though. This system may or may not be as good as the anihawk system but a 5 game list and 2 game list have the option of giving an equal number of points to the top 2 games.
That's true, but having to do a list of minimum five games without this bizarre weighting would hopefully mean in most cases a few games that aren't the usual suspects would get a vote or two.

jiggle

Letters said:
How did the old system work exactly? (wasn't here last year)

list and rank up to 10 games

reading comprehension not required
leave all the math to OP

simple yet effective

final result for top vote getters probably won't change much, but at least smaller games will get more mentions

ethelred

Mar_ said:
And nothing to anything other than AAA titles.

Yeah... I really feel like the old system was great because you were able to name the game you really thought was the best of all but you still had a lot of room on your list to name the other greats, and that room allowed for listing out the niche, sometimes underrated games, and when you've got enough people taking advantage of that flexibility it gives a real opportunity for some of the less mainstream games to shine.

This system is like the anti-IRV. You don't want to "waste" points so you need to cut down on the number of games to make sure the top picks can REALLY count. But the top picks are pretty much going to be the same thing you see in every mainstream media outlet's lists. It's the rest of the list where the flexibility of the top 10 voting shines.

_leech_ said:
Was about to say. Instead of complaining about what other people are voting for, just vote yourselves. Or, if you don't like the system in place this year, then don't vote at all.

Simple.

This is a discussion forum. There's an established system that has been working for five years now. While tweaks can always be a good thing to refine the process, there's no reason to throw it out entirely and go in a totally different direction. If people don't like that, they're entitled to discuss it rather than just having arbitrary changes.

jiggle said:
list and rank up to 10 games

reading comprehension not required
leave all the math to OP

simple yet effective

final result for top vote getters probably won't change much, but at least smaller games will get more mentions

Will they? Instead everyone getting 10 games mentioned, they'll get fewer games to mention if they want to add preference to one or more of them.

lordoftherink said:
That's true, but having to do a list of five games would mean in most cases a few games that aren't the usual suspects would get a vote or two.

This voting method insures that the top games will only make the list. It actually discourages a widely selective list as your vote for the games actually counts less than the next person if you actually use a wide selection. I listed far fewer games than I did last year and I'm already noticing that most other people have also.

The interesting part about the old voting method was the votes as you went down the list. Not that the list ever really meant anything but it will be far less interesting and diverse this year. And top heavy. This is essentially a list made for system exclusive voting and we know how a list like that will turn out on GAF.

My last post on it. It is what it is.

ethelred said:
Yeah... I really feel like the old system was great because you were able to name the game you really thought was the best of all but you still had a lot of room on your list to name the other greats, and that room allowed for listing out the niche, sometimes underrated games, and when you've got enough people taking advantage of that flexibility it gives a real opportunity for some of the less mainstream games to shine.

This system is like the anti-IRV. You don't want to "waste" points so you need to cut down on the number of games to make sure the top picks can REALLY count. But the top picks are pretty much going to be the same thing you see in every mainstream media outlet's lists. It's the rest of the list where the flexibility of the top 10 voting shines.

Totally agreed. My favorite part of the list was the huge stream of gems at the bottom. Everyone knows what the top five or ten is going to be. The fun was the huge list of crazy affections at the end.

I haven't played half the games I want to have, but so what I ain't going to have done so in a week or two either.

Dragon Age Origins - 3
Resident Evil 5 - 2
Red Faction Guerrilla - 2
Halo ODST - 1
Retro Game Challenge - 1
Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection - 1

jiggle

BenjaminBirdie said:
Will they? Instead everyone getting 10 games mentioned, they'll get fewer games to mention if they want to add preference to one or more of them.

that was in reference to the old system

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Yeah, I also can't find a way to vote following these rules.

But go ahead with them if you guys wish. Not a big deal.

Mar

I've tried to squeeze my top 10 into this new system but it just doesn't work.

I either give more points to the top of the list games and end up not being able to include all 10 and therefore missing out on what gives a list character (seeing what obscure titles people really loved but not necessarily make their top 6 or so). Or give almost everything 1s and, to be honest, I just can't justify giving the same score to my number 3 as my number 9.

I'll have to step away from GAF GOATYs this year... I've looked forward to it for months too.

I must be the only person who actually prefers this years' system. I like the ability to give certain games the same value, something we couldn't do other years. Other years i'd be forced to rate certain games above other games even if I felt they were on even levels of greatness.

Fredescu

It may be because I'm a huge dork, but I would find the results of concurrent threads using the two systems really interesting. It would probably not end up 100% accurate with some people voting in one thread and not the other though.

Cynar

Street Fighter 4 - 3 points

Left 4 Dead 2 - 2 points
Pokemon Platinum - 2 points
Final Fantasy: Dissidia - 2 points

Dragon Age: Origins - 1 point

:D

I like this system, seems more fun and fair

Fredescu said:
It may be because I'm a huge dork, but I would find the results of concurrent threads using the two systems really interesting. It would probably not end up 100% accurate with some people voting in one thread and not the other though.

I think it'd be pretty interesting as well. Can people really not be bothered to vote in two different systems?

Stoney Mason said:
This voting method insures that the top games will only make the list. It actually discourages a widely selective list as your vote for the games actually counts less than the next person if you actually use a wide selection. I listed far fewer games than I did last year and I'm already noticing that most other people have also.

The interesting part about the old voting method was the votes as you went down the list. Not that the list ever really meant anything but it will be far less interesting and diverse this year. And top heavy. This is essentially a list made for system exclusive voting and we know how a list like that will turn out on GAF.

My last post on it. It is what it is.
I was actually continuing from my previous post. I agree with what you're saying, it is really unfortunate that the outcome of this voting process is going to end up much like the lists GAF always hates on. Anyways, I should probably stop posting about this as well.

Dragon Age: Origins - 3
Assassin's Creed 2 - 2
Batman: Arkham Asylum - 1
Red Faction: Guerrilla - 1
Shadow Complex - 1
Trials HD - 1

_leech_ said:
I must be the only person who actually prefers this years' system. I like the ability to give certain games the same value, something we couldn't do other years. Other years i'd be forced to rate certain games above other games even if I felt they were on even levels of greatness.
Me as well but I still wasn't able to get it sorted out without knocking games off my list that I really felt should have been mentioned.

Grayman

Mar_ said:
I've tried to squeeze my top 10 into this new system but it just doesn't work.

I either give more points to the top of the list games and end up not being able to include all 10 and therefore missing out on what gives a list character (seeing what obscure titles people really loved but not necessarily make their top 6 or so). Or give almost everything 1s and, to be honest, I just can't justify giving the same score to my number 3 as my number 9.

I'll have to step away from GAF GOATYs this year... I've looked forward to it for months too.
I see how big of a problem this is now. I wrote a generic list and didn't get through the big games. Before I was thinking "no one is going to like: Dragon Age, uncharted, mw2, ac2, boarderlands, l4d2, batman, killzone, halo game"

This method downgraded a 55 point vote to a 10 point vote with weighting removing game votes.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I thought I voted, but I can't seem to find my post.

Anyhow, it gives me a chance to change things up a bit anyhow:

Murmasa - 3
Flower - 2
Uncharted 2 - 1
Assassin's Creed 2 - 1
Modern Warfare 2 - 1
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor - 1
Dragon Age - 1

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
So my Games of the Year are:

1. Sin and Punishment: Successor to the Sky (3 Points) for Wii:
    Easily one of the best Treasure games ever, and my favourite Wii title of all time. It's an œuvre that never lets go, grabbing you firmly at an incredible pace with some really outstanding level design. The game is made for the Wii Remote; there's not been a title that takes advantage of its pointer as much as this one. It would be my Game of the Forever if it had true co-op, but sadly Treasure under-delivered on that. Even with that, if there's one title you should buy for Wii, it should be this one.

2. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (3 2 Points) for Wii:
    It's 2D Mario. It's 2D Mario of the likes we haven't since since Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World. It's 2D Mario with challenge, with fun, with joy, with multiplayer. It's the best non-import title of the year.

3. Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride (2 Points) for DS:
    Dragon Quest at its finest, HotHB encapsulates everything I love about old-school JRPGs -fast-paced battles, no-bullshit plots, epicness (I hate that word), and most importantly, fun. It's heart-rending, but never pretentious. It's got gravitas, but it doesn't betray its whimsical nature for the sake of drama. My favourite of the series.

4. Dissidia: Final Fantasy (2 Points) for PSP:
    I didn't have faith in Square. I thought this was going to be another Nomura-fest since it was based on the Kingdom Hearts battle engine and it was obviously influenced by Advent Children. I'm surprised to say, Square created a really fun battle system that only marred by some nagging design choices. It's my most played title of the year.

5. Punch-Out!! (1 Point) for Wii:
    I went in knowing nothing about Punch-Out!! and I came out with one of my favourite experiences of the console. It's arcade action of the likes we haven't seen in consoles for a long time. Kind of short, however.

6. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (1 Point) for DS:
    Hey, I love RPGs! I love Mario too! So what happens when you bring the best of both spectrums together? It's Mario & Luigi, not Super Mario RPG: Boredom of the Seven Stars! So yeah, pretty fun title.

[*]Rhythm Heaven (1 Point) for DS:
    I like video games without any bullshit. This is a video game without any bullshit. It's also quite intuitive. And fun. And hard. I still haven't perfected everything in it.

HOWEVER, because I live in NA, my GotY apparently doesn't count. :( So that makes it:

1. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (3 Points) for Wii
  2. Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride (2 Points) for DS
  3. Dissidia: Final Fantasy (2 Points) for PSP
  4. Punch-Out!! (1 Point) for Wii
  5. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (1 Point) for DS
  6. Rhythm Heaven (1 Point) for DS

For a total of 10 points. I guess that sorts things out, though I still maintain you should be able to vote for titles outside your region. Here's to hoping I can vote for S&P2 next year.

EDIT: These updates are quick as fuck.

Ashodin

_leech_ said:
Agreed.

Everyone else who disagrees is discussing it, but they're ALSO making trouble by asking for two threads, which would cause even MORE of a headache.

Regulus Tera said:
If you imported it, it counts, dude.

Lostconfused said:
Here is a thread on previous voting systems. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=381248

Edit: What people are afraid of happening now is what happened with the previous system. Since people could vote for a large number of games, smaller niche titles got voted out by the sheer number of votes a popular game got.

But they never got voted out. At least that's my point. We still saw that a few people did appreciate some game that in this system won't ever make the OP of the results thread.

Grayman

Regulus Tera said:
So my Games of the Year are:
Try reading the rules again. Importing or being from any territory/platform effecting release dates has always been fine. You couldn't have two three point games though.

Oh and since we are bitching about the system:

It's stupid. The entire point of a GotY competition is to list what you think are the best games of the year. This is some competitive nonsense where the objective is to come up with the highest scoring game.

Gogo private approval voting. As many games as you want to list, each get a point.

BenjaminBirdie said:
But they never got voted out. At least that's my point. We still saw that a few people did appreciate some game that in this system won't ever make the OP of the results thread.
How many people actually looked past the top 10 or even 20 games? If some one is going to go through a list of 100 why not just make a thread for a game. People are open to discussing niche titles and its going to tell you more about the game then a spot in a massive list of games.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
5 - New Super Mario Bros Wii
3 - Dragon Quest 5 DS
1 - Star Ocean 4
1 - Street Fighter 4

Ashodin

BenjaminBirdie said:
fgfgfgfghggh

That's the point, dude. It's a List, games get left out. You and other people here championing the "No Games Left Behind" thing is really just making this whole thing a mess.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
no, it doesn't. it makes the list much more interesting and diverse.

what we need is someone like evilore to step in and give the final word.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Grayman said:
Try reading the rules again. Importing or being from any territory/platform effecting release dates has always been fine. You couldn't have two three point games though.

Fuck yes it's Sin and Punishment time bitches!

Maxrpg said:
Agreed.

Everyone else who disagrees is discussing it, but they're ALSO making trouble by asking for two threads, which would cause even MORE of a headache.

If you imported it, it counts, dude.

Barely anyone is actively asking for two threads. Someone suggested it, a few other people thought it was an interesting idea. Most people are just discussing the pros and cons.

Alex

I think the old way was better too, but I just like to read peoples lists and not so much about the overall results anyway. Although I do get a few kicks out of the obvious platform whores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom