• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year Awards 2006

Kabouter

dillenger said:
Xenosaga ep3 deserved better. Seeing this thread makes me notice how underapreciated the game is.

A lot of games deserved better, but GAF doesn't play a lot of games :p
Hell, my GOTY finished with fourteen points (of which ten were mine).

Kabouter

sp0rsk said:
It will be between spore and mario galaxy and halo 3.

So Mario Galaxy is most likely.
Spore seems unlikely, I think it will only see a PC release in 2007 (if that). If it's released for consoles as well it should stand a good chance if it lives up to the hype.
Halo 3 is possible yeah.

Xrenity

Kabouter said:
A lot of games deserved better, but GAF doesn't play a lot of games :p
Hell, my GOTY finished with fourteen points (of which ten were mine).
anno 1701?

I think Mario Galaxy will stand a good chance, or Assassin's Creed if it's really good.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
lockii said:
But Too Human comes out next year, you can't argue with 12 years of development.

We're reserving too human for the gaf version of the razzies.

Let's just put it this way, any xbox360 game that comes out this coming winter is going to get viva pinata'd.

Kabouter

Xrenity said:
anno 1701?

I think Mario Galaxy will stand a good chance, or Assassin's Creed if it's really good.

Yeah Anno 1701 :)
AC could do well too yeah, but I don't think it will get the epic amounts of acclaim that Super Mario Galaxy will from GAF.

GTA IV may well turn out to be my favourite game of 2007, but I don't think that'll stand a chance, given the fact that GTA:SA didn't even manage to get GOTY here.

BlindN-Fan said:
So Wii,Cube GOTY can't be Zelda because Zelda is GOTY right? Or am I missing something..

I second that question.

And i think, 2007´s goty will be SSBBrawl...ultimate videogame-collection^^

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
No, Zelda can't be Cube or Wii GotY because it's multi platform.

Why is Daxter ahead of Mega Man Powered Up on the platformer list even though Mega Man had more votes? Unless you're one of the neanderthals that doesn't think Mega Man is a platformer...
EDIT: Actually Ultimate Ghouls & Ghosts should be ahead of both of them
EDIT2: Chibi Robo should be on the adventure game list since it had more votes than Phoenix Wright

Good job with the list, I'm glad to see Test Drive get some recognition even though it was a down year for racers, it tried something different and mostly succeeded I think.

ElyrionX

Nice. Test Drive Unlimited winning Racing GOTY is awesome since I think the game is really underrated and not given the kind of attention and recognition it truly deserves in mainstream media.

I'm kind of disappointed that Oblivion won RPG GOTY though. That would be FFXII for me.

Kabouter

ElyrionX said:
Nice. Test Drive Unlimited winning Racing GOTY is awesome since I think the game is really underrated and not given the kind of attention and recognition it truly deserves in mainstream media.
Heh.
GTR2 should have won by a mile imho.
Fantastic game, and one that doesn't nearly get the amount of attention it deserves (of course it does get the acclaim from people who've played it).

Good taste, GAF. Nice work, Anihawk.

So what happened with Shadow and Phoenix Wright? They were dumped because there was a suspicion non-Euro people were voting for them or something?

These results are very good.

I'm happy Wii Sports got the recognition it deserves for being the best sports game of the year. Even though the forum sometimes appears to hate it, GAF has voted it the best sports game of the year.

TP is the game of the year. It's good to see that the margin of victory was so great. It really is a game that everyone should have a chance to experience.

Mar

Great work Anihawk. Much appreciated.

GAF does indeed have good taste in games. I was especially pleased to see UGnG make it into one of the awards lists somewhere... Anywhere. It deserves something. But then it is my personal GOTY so I'm biased.

LevelNth

Banned
Didn't get around to voting this year, couldn't finish all the games I wanted to in time. I really wish this was done later in January to give some more time for everyone to work through the deluge of October and November games. I always have such a backlog through into the new year. Ah well.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
MAB128 said:
Nice. Baten Kaitos Origins did better than I expected. :D
:D

I guess 25th place is pretty good considering only like 10 of us bought the game :lol :(

fernoca

Fighting Game of the Year:
1. Tekken: Dark Resurrection (PSP)
2. Jump Ultimate Stars (Nintendo DS)
3. Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 (Playstation 2, Wii)
4. Rumble Roses XX (Xbox 360)
5. Mortal Kombat: Armageddon (Playstation 2, Xbox)

LOL :lol
So much for gameplay is what matters and stuff...Tekken was the obvious winner (which I like)..but the fact that anime-licenses and boobies won over MK Armageddon..just show that most people around here only care for those 2 things...and hate MK just for the sake of hating it. :p

Overall, I agree with the first places...in each category. :) Great work Ani.. :)

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
AniHawk said:
Fighting Game of the Year: Tekken: Dark Resurrection (PSP)
314b0ug.jpg

YEAH!

ALSO.

PLAYSTATION 3 GAME OF THE YEAR.

AM I RITE?

stalker

I am not sure what has happened with this SOTC affair (not paying attention to the thread after I voted), but I imagine that the 8 points I gave it are just lost because of euro vs usa release issues (I voted 5 games, SOTC being in third place). No problem with that, the list is still very good, GAF has some good taste in my opinion. And this thread is fantastic, nice job.

Ristamar

I didn't vote since there were a lot of games I didn't play or didn't finish, thus I didn't believe I could make a qualified judgement. However, I'd still like to commend AniHawk for his efforts.

Ranger X

Nice effort. GAF is having good taste!

But i have to side with Amirox and Jarosh about the votes. It's not some people who couldn't read the rules, it's the ruler that didn't respect his own rules.

Also, Rainbow Six: Vegas IS a FPS shooter...

Big-E

Everything on the awards list deserves it. A lot of games given their due which were looked over by the gaming sites and mags.

Dilbert

Thanks for the effort in putting this together.

With that being said...the fact that it's based on popular vote is painfully obvious when you look at the lists. :(

GaimeGuy

fernoca said:
So much for gameplay is what matters and stuff...Tekken was the obvious winner (which I like)..but the fact that anime-licenses and boobies won over MK Armageddon..just show that most people around here only care for those 2 things...and hate MK just for the sake of hating it. :p

Overall, I agree with the first places...in each category. :) Great work Ani.. :)
you know, on the one hand, I agree with you, as Tenkaichi Budokai 2 is supposed to suck on the PS2.

On the other hand, it supposedly is absolutely amazing on the Wii, although I haven't played it or seen it played, so all I can go on is very distant secondhand impressions.

When I get a wii, I'll be sure to rent DBZ, though, to see how it stacks up.

AniHawk

Here's the list of RPGs, because there were so goddamn many this year (about 36 from what I counted)

1. Oblivion
2. Final Fantasy XII
3. Kingdom Hearts II
4. Final Fanasy III
5. Baten Kaitos Origins
6. Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
7. Tales of theAbyss
8. Suikoden V
9. Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria
9. Xenosaga III: Also Sprach Zarathustra
11. Final Fantasy V Advance
12. Disgaea 2
13. Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
14. Blue Dragon
15. Contact
16. Mother 3
17. Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
18. Neverwinter Nights 2
19. Wild ARMs 4
20. Shadow Hearts: From the New World
21. Persona 3
22. Summon Night
23. Pokemon: Pearl/Diamond
24. Devil Summoner
24. Final Fantasy XI: Treasures of Aht Urghan
25. Children of Mana
26. Tales of Legendia
27. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon
28. Dragon Quest Yangus
29. Magna Carta
29. Steambot Chrincles
31. Ys Origin
32. Digital Devil Saga
33. Chocobo & the Magical Mystery Book
33. Drakengard 2
33. Phantasy Star Universe
33. Pokemon Ranger

I would have given Phoenix Wright a vote if it had come out in the US this year. That's the problem with a game that isn't released in all territories in the same calendar year, sadly.

AniHawk

GaimeGuy said:
If we were judging by quality, BKO would be #1. :D

The fact it made the top 5 is pretty good, considering how few people played it and how many Square Enix games came out this year. BKO and DQH topped a couple categories too, so Dragona will have no reason to kill us all.

Hmm, seems like I'll be the first one to say that Gears should have won the number one spot. Oh well. Anyway, great work Anihawk.

AniHawk

BlindN-Fan said:
So Wii,Cube GOTY can't be Zelda because Zelda is GOTY right? Or am I missing something..

It's a game made for multiple platforms. Thus, it's a multiplatform game.

I did the same thing with ESIV: Oblivion, GRAW, and R6: Vegas.

The system lists are done by exclusives

AniHawk

Forgot some.

Most Mega Mannish Game of the Year: Mega Man ZX

2. Mega Man Powered Up
3. Mega Man Maverick Hunter X
4. Mega Man X Collection

Most Truckingest Game of the Year: Excite TRUCK

Overrated Clover Game of the Year: Okami

Runner-up
God Hand

ivysaur12

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
:D

I guess 25th place is pretty good considering only like 10 of us bought the game :lol :(

We're the 10 luckiest people in gaming :p

Yeah, I'm really happy at how well it did. But it still doesn't change the fact that the game bombed, and that we'll never see another BK game ever again.

fallout

fernoca said:
So much for gameplay is what matters and stuff...Tekken was the obvious winner (which I like)..but the fact that anime-licenses and boobies won over MK Armageddon..just show that most people around here only care for those 2 things...
I can't speak for the boobies, but JUS is actually really fun. It's handheld SSB! I know a lot of people who love fighting games hate SSB, but if you're into it, that's really what it is and it's great. I love the game and I know almost nothing of the licenses, aside from the fact that they are licenses.

...and hate MK just for the sake of hating it. :p
To be perfectly honest, I haven't really even thought about MK since I was twelve. It's just not relevant enough for there to be any emotion. I know they still make games, and I play them, but the fact that it's MK doesn't really say anything either way. I think the same goes for a lot of people.

Jammy

Banned
I agree with all of these except for maybe one or two, and I probably couldn't outright judge those. GAF's cumulative gaming tastes are the best around.

People ask me about games like Shadow of the Colossus, Baten Kaitos, Chibi-Robo! and my Virtual Console purchases of Bonk's Adventure and Gunstar Heroes. I'd be in the same clueless boat as them had the people on this site not recommended me these fun games I'd almost surely pass over.

Wollan

Great work Anihawk. You must have spent a ton of hours on this.
Bias/non game access will always keep lists from being how 'they should have been' but now we know this forums average.

Some 'predictions' for next year:

GOTY: Halo 3 (this one will come through, Halo 1 reborn, the son becomes the father and all that)

Best pc game: Spore
Best PS3 game: Bermuda Triangle (Naughty Dog)
Best Wii game: Mario Galaxy

Big news: MGS4 delayed til 2008, Age of Conan gains 1 million subscribers by the end of the year, Microsoft announces in autumn an upcoming external Blu-ray player, Sony cuts PS3 price in September, Free ad-driven Live launches before Halo 3 release, Nintendo buys Capcom, NeoGAF reference by the White House.

Saoh

can i get that awesome Zelda art in high-res anywhere?

i know its a poster, but i need it!

Great job Anihawk :) thanks for this.

Mar

fernoca said:

As far as I can remember your votes consisted entirely of MK games. So it's a bit hard for anyone to take your criticism with any validity.

GaimeGuy

ivysaur12 said:
We're the 10 luckiest people in gaming :p

Yeah, I'm really happy at how well it did. But it still doesn't change the fact that the game bombed, and that we'll never see another BK game ever again.
Yeah. :/

well, maybe Nintendo will use some of it's profits from the DS and Wii sales to give the 10 of us what we want :lol

BTW: Your avatar + custom title combination is awesome

fernoca

Martoo said:
As far as I can remember your votes consisted entirely of MK games. So it's a bit hard for anyone to take your criticism with any validity.

Well my first 2 games were MK games (Armageddon and Unchained)...simply because I love MK, were my fave games of the year..and as you can see by the results...I was the only one that voted for them (and someone voted Armageddon at #10..giving the game 1 extra point aside of my 10 points)...the other 3 I voted were; Sega Genesis Collection (8 points), Twilight Princess (7 points) and Oblivion (6 points)....because a lot people voted for those one already a lot..

So I had to give the most points to the games that needed it. ;)

Then when you consider the fact that Armageddon was the top selling game in that category (and well reviewed and received..78% average..just like Tenkaichi 2)..and only managed to get 2 votes from the thousands of users in this forums....and even Rumble Roses XX got more votes...oh well..is not like I'm going to change anything... :p

Top Bottom