• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year Awards 2006

Great lists.

Kabouter said:
Heh.
GTR2 should have won by a mile imho.
Fantastic game, and one that doesn't nearly get the amount of attention it deserves (of course it does get the acclaim from people who've played it).

Agreed. One of the best games that GAF will never play :(

raYne

I believe these results.

The fighter genre is a joke these days. So sad... It used to be my favorite back in the days too. :(

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
raYne said:
I believe these results.

The fighter genre is a joke these days. So sad... It used to be my favorite back in the days too. :(

I'll tell you one thing though, Tekken: DR is no joke. :)

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Nicely done.

metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patr.jpg

Next year, the pwnage shall continue.

metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-p-1.jpg

Damn right

Again, great work anihawk.

Cosmozone

Yeah, too bad about SotC. That's what you get for shafting Europeans, Sony. :mad: Okami isn't even out here yet, so I couldn't tell how far it is behind Zelda, hehe. But damn, Okami's graphics and music are ace.

Otherwise I'm fine with the list, even with
Gears' high vote count

Uncle AJ

Possible contenders for next year:

Bioshock
Spore (if it actually gets released)
Crysis
Halo 3
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Metal Gear Solid 4
Mass Effect
Duke Nukem Forever :lol
Super Mario Galaxy

Parch

R3Z said:
We have alot of nintendo fans here !
I think that's clearly shown in the results.
Still, it's an interesting read and the work done collecting all that info is appreciated.

colinp

Banned
:lol @ SotC fiasco

I think Ani forgot to add this one to the list:

Most overrated EU release (and last years GOTY runner up): SotC

Thanks for the hardwork Ani! Viva TP! Glad to see that Yakuza got some love too.

Anyone else surprised that Oblivion beat out FFXII?

R3Z said:
We have alot of nintendo fans here !

eh, if anything the most populous system on GAF would probably be PS2. That'd make an interesting poll someday.

Krowley

colinp said:
Anyone else surprised that Oblivion beat out FFXII?

I'm slightly surprised... If you read through GAF on a daily basis many of the jrpg fans seem to really hate oblivion. There is also a very vocal contingent of Morrowind fans who dislike the level scaling in oblivion.. I knew oblivion was popular here, but i figured ff12 was slightly more popular (even though it has a contingent of vocal haters as well). Nearly every RPG thread here tends to focus on jrpg's to a large degree so i expected ff12 to have the edge...

Anyway, i'm really enjoying ff12, and I'm nearly positive that i'll love oblivion once i get a 360.

Good job, Anihawk. Keep up the snark.

Stealth Game of the Year: Metal Gear Solid: Subsistence (Playstation 2) -MGS3:SE won Stealth Game of the Year 2004 and 2005-
Ahaha, ****ing awesome. It might not be fair to other, genuinely new games, but I love MGS3 to death, so huzzah.

It's good to see GAF give credit to stuff that is mostly overlooked elsewhere. I have no complaints with this list, but then, I didn't have any the last few years, too. For all its faults, GAF has pointed me in the direction of many, many games I would've otherwise overlooked.

jedimike

Great list! It was a good first year for the 360 taking 4 of the top 10.

Next year is going to be an even more amazing year for gamers.

Pretty good selections all around, at least with the stuff I've played (mostly X360 and DS).

Personally Twilight Princess is my GOTY, but it's still a little strange that it won by so many votes.

Kabouter

Mo the Hawk said:
Possible contenders for next year:
Crysis
:lol
Come on, I liked Far Cry, but be realistic.
A PC first person shooter that's not made by Valve GOTY on the most console-centric forums on the web?

linsivvi

Not sure if this has been suggested before, but how about delaying the voting process until around March for next year's award? Currently, games that are released near the end of the year gets a big disadvantage. Many people probably have not been able to finish those games, and some might not even have bought the games due to the amount of games released in the last two months of the year.

If you delay the voting until March, but keeping the same rules that games must be released in the previous calendar year, you would give a fairer chance for all games.

Top Bottom