• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot Review - Zelda: Twilight Princess. Wind Waker was better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
LM4sure said:
This thread is going to be LEGENDARY

barney1jo9.jpg

:lol

I think this thread is already legendary.

Alkaliine said:
Let's see:

- 95% of all other reviews have praised the Wiimote controls.

- 95% of all reviews claim TP has the best soundtrack of all Zelda games.

- 95% of all reviews claim the TP's difficulty is more satisfying than Wind Waker and very close to optimal.

The only thing I can agree with is the graphics, but given this is a Gamecube game technically speaking, the game is absolutely beautiful.

So no, not a legit review.
Only with irrational Nintendo fanboys do opinions have to fall in line with all others.

I probably don't need to tell anyone how much I disagree with this review. I have a lot of respect fo Gamespot, but I think their reviewer spent undue time on all the wrong points here... graphically, the game is hardly distracting to the point where it affects the quality of the experience. Especially considering how beautiful the art style is...

And as for the controls, well, they aren't at all irritating; it's just that the sword-slashing isn't that big of a difference. Funny how he didn't lay so much praise on the aiming controls, which are far and away the greatest thing about the Wii interface, and it is definitely GREAT.

Don't worry about Zelda. It's incredible. It's one of the best games I have ever played in my entire life. I think you will agree after pumping around 20 hours into it.

~os

Ravager61

Green Biker Dude said:
Right, every game can have points taken away because they don't "evolve", but Zelda can't. If only Mega Man was named Zelda, huh?

Zelda is Zelda. You do stuff then you clear a dungeon. This game has evolved that formula a lot with the twilight world and whatnot. He wants Zelda to evolve to not be Zelda.

IGN = 9.5

Final points below:

8.0 Presentation
A truly epic new Zelda complete with a compelling, darker storyline, enhanced controls, and brand new gameplay mechanics. Lack of voice acting and orchestrated music are unfortunate.
8.5 Graphics
An absolutely gorgeous GameCube game. An enormous, detailed world brought to life via beautiful art. But Wii is still capable of much more, as the adventure's sometimes-blurry textures prove.
8.0 Sound
Again, where's the orchestrated music? Come on, Nintendo. Everything else is great, from the moody sound effects to the atmospheric MIDI compositions.
9.5 Gameplay
Superb. The tried-and-true Zelda gameplay mechanics are taken to new heights with the Wii remote and nunchuk. Overworld and temple designs are stellar. Classic Zelda reborn for a new generation.
9.5 Lasting Appeal
It'll keep you busy for at least 50 hours and you could spend double that in Nintendo's new Hyrule. So much to do and see that you'll be busy for weeks, if not months.

FightyF

Banned
Defcon said:
It's a miracle you haven't been banned yet.

Hey, I'm not calling a reviewer numerous degrading insults just because I disagree with his score.

I simply pointed out a mathematical relation and you expect me to get banned? Why?

Oh, I know why, because the score is something you find irritating. A score of 8.8, a great score for a great game, is irritating for you.

The fact that there may be other better games out there, is irritating for you. Despite the game's great reviews, you find it jarring.

I think that's what's so humerous about this situation and this thread. I wouldn't do this in any other thread.

Lobster

Banned
tegdf said:
goddamn nintendo fanboys pissed b/c Zelda didn't get a 10, get a ****ing life

We don't give a shit if it doesn't get a 10 otherwise the internet would've exploded a few days ago. We give a shit if the only review below 9 is flawed by more than 5 reviews over 9!

JDSN

Banned
ShowDog said:
He seemed to have points for everything he said. I don't really see what's wrong with this review. Until you've played it yourself I can't see why anyone can say otherwise. There's no spoken voice, the music is dated, and the sound coming out of the wiimote is annoying and glitchy. So the sound gets a 7. That's not out of line really. He said it's annoying to control with the wiimote, and the battle is easy, so gameplay gets an 8. That's not out of line either. Considering it's a port of a gamecube game the graphics certainly don't deserve a 10, and there you have it. Zelda's score. He gave the tilt a 10, this seems like a legit review to me and I would feel like a dumbass fanboy saying otherwise until I actually played the game myself (and then I would be justified to disagree or say he's an idiot) I must say he made some good points.

Green Biker Dude said:
Right, every game can have points taken away because they don't "evolve", but Zelda can't. If only Mega Man was named Zelda, huh?

Being serious I think saying Zelda hasn't evolved seemed like an odd place to draw the line when that same complaint can be made with just about every game either in a franchise or because of their genre.

We'll see Monday when I get my copy.

Xeke

Banned
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess is, in my opinion, the greatest Zelda game ever created and one of the best launch titles in the history of launch titles – second only, perhaps, to the at-the-time ground-breaking Super Mario 64. It is also one of the finest games I have ever played. The experience is made better and not worse on Wii. The Wii remote and nunchuk add accuracy and speed to exploration and combat for a heightened sense of immersion. While the game has just about everything going for it, including improved controls, a long and engrossing quest, brain-teasing dungeons and some beautiful graphics, it's not perfect. The difficulty has been upped over Wind Waker, but I wish it were harder still – the boss fights are oftentimes too easy, for example. Additionally, while the visuals are generally impressive, some textures remain blurry to the point they are noticeable. And finally, I still question why Nintendo refuses to add either voice work to the side characters (especially since Twilight Princess features such an improved, dark storyline) or orchestrated music to the soundtrack.

Go matt!

Lobster

Banned
AndoCalrissian said:
IGN = 9.5

Final points below:

8.0 Presentation
A truly epic new Zelda complete with a compelling, darker storyline, enhanced controls, and brand new gameplay mechanics. Lack of voice acting and orchestrated music are unfortunate.
8.5 Graphics
An absolutely gorgeous GameCube game. An enormous, detailed world brought to life via beautiful art. But Wii is still capable of much more, as the adventure's sometimes-blurry textures prove.
8.0 Sound
Again, where's the orchestrated music? Come on, Nintendo. Everything else is great, from the moody sound effects to the atmospheric MIDI compositions.
9.5 Gameplay
Superb. The tried-and-true Zelda gameplay mechanics are taken to new heights with the Wii remote and nunchuk. Overworld and temple designs are stellar. Classic Zelda reborn for a new generation.
9.5 Lasting Appeal
It'll keep you busy for at least 50 hours and you could spend double that in Nintendo's new Hyrule. So much to do and see that you'll be busy for weeks, if not months.

See! Atleast IGN got a brain!

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
I felt that with Wind Waker. I could see how it would still be true.

Exactly Majora's Mask did evolve Zelda to a new direction yet he gave WW a better score, when its obviously an inferior game....

So I was thinking about buying a Wii and Twilight Princess, but I really don't think I want to purchase a $250 system for a sub-9 game. Can anyone recommend a 9+ game for the 360 that I could buy instead?

I think this speaks more to Gamespot's shitty review scale (**** grading each part of the game and having a formula to calculate the overall rating) than some of Gerstman's opinions.

FauX

Are you down beacause of his stupid review?

This guy probably never finished 2nd grade and live with his mom....

Everybody knows Zelda TP is the best Zelda ever made, so why let down for this piece of Cr@p review?

Grecco

It takes Jeff giving Zelda a Fubar Score just to make Matt popular on this board again. The Same Matt that everybody hated :lol Trully a Legendary thread

Gigglepoo

Fight for Freeform said:
So? What's wrong with that? You can't review a videogame while sitting down? You don't have to play it standing up, because the Wii controller should still be able to recognize commands no matter what position you are in.

20061113.jpg

Zaptruder

Banned
Just accept it. Reviews been what they are, opinions will have the natural spread and variation from the mean... and this is one of the lower ones.

I don't agree with the score, but I'm not going to deride GS or Jeff because of it. Indeed, it speaks pretty damn highly of Zelda that 8.8 is one of the lowest scores of it so far.

FauX said:
Are you down beacause of his stupid review?

This guy probably never finished 2nd grade and live with his mom....

Everybody knows Zelda TP is the best Zelda ever made, so why let down for this piece of Cr@p review?
I laughed because you spoiler tagged a fact that you claim everyone knows.

Zylander

Kano On The Phone said:
So I was thinking about buying a Wii and Twilight Princess, but I really don't think I want to purchase a $250 system for a sub-9 game. Can anyone recommend a 9+ game for the 360 that I could buy instead?

Xeke

Banned
Kano On The Phone said:

Not see the IGN score yet?

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
OpinionatedCyborg said:
I think this speaks more to Gamespot's shitty review scale (**** grading each part of the game and having a formula to calculate the overall rating) than some of Gerstman's opinions.

This is the right answer.

But, hey, don't stop, GAF! You can do better than 16 pages! Let me feel your anger, fanboys!

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
This thread, the Zelda fanatics taking this review apart, and the people insulting those Zelda fans.. are all ****ing hilarious.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Kano On The Phone said:

perfect dark zero
enjoy

ShowDog

othersteve said:
graphically, the game is hardly distracting to the point where it affects the quality of the experience. Especially considering how beautiful the art style is...
~os

He gave the game a 9 out of 10 in graphics. Is there a seperate rule about Zelda games where anything less than a 10 in graphics means OMG DISTRACTING MY EYEZ! What are you talking about? Any decent review spends a paragraph or so talking about graphics.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
speedpop said:
This thread, the Zelda fanatics taking this review apart, and the people insulting those Zelda fans.. are all ****ing hilarious.

I think the battle has escalted and engulfed the entire internet at this point.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Why is it that WW got a better score on both sites.

Was it THAT good? I don't think so myself.

Gigglepoo

bigfurb said:
Damn, this thread puts the Gears eurogamer review thread to shame. Congrats nintendo fans, your rabid zealotry is second to none

You do realize people have been playing Nintendo games for 21 years, right? Zelda is 19 years old this year. It's kind of hard to compare Nintendo fans to Gears of War fans. It's like saying Yankee fans are more intense than Marlins fans. You think history has anything to do with that?

jett

D-Member
OpinionatedCyborg said:

Yes, an arbitrary final score that entirely disregards two 8.0's and a 8.5 is loads better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom