• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG | News and Updates 2017 - Back to the basics

The rights to early computer versions of Tetris are a mess, I'm not sure what exists in terms of official Tetris ports on PC after that all got ironed out.

There was a good documentary on Tetris that covered this, among other things: Tetris: From Russia With Love

Cheers for the documentary, will give it a watch.

I know a recently-released Ubisoft version of Tetris is available for PC through uPlay and Steam. Reviews aren't great, but it seems to have been patched a fair bit since launch - probably our best hope in truth. There's also Tetris Elements, which seems more faithful to the original, but I don't think ever had a digital release. From a little bit of reading, Tetris Gold is the best PC Tetris, but it's DOS. Would need a bit of love to get working.

I've said it many times already, I'll say it again. Anyone who doesn't own a copy of FTL should seriously consider getting it, especially for 2,29€. Fantastic game.

Tenrius

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Requiem always seemed like a cool game at the time... though the reviews weren't particularly good. No idea how kind time has been to it.

gabbo

Requiem always seemed like a cool game at the time... though the reviews weren't particularly good. No idea how kind time has been to it.

I played it a little while ago (2-3 years maybe). It's story is about as good as one might expect for a post-Half Life shooter, though the VO is pretty good. The gameplay with powers/guns never seemed as well implemented as it wants to be, as I don't remember needing to use too many powers to beat the game.

Still, a fun shooter

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
https://www.gog.com/promo/weekend_promo_interplay_220416
Interplay sale
Currently eye-ing
Earthworm Jim 3D
Toonstruck
Maybe Kingpin Life of Crime
MDK 1 and 2
Prehistorik

Would like some impressions from those that played it.

EWJ3D - This game is a complete mess and killed the franchise. It's one of those super early 3d games that came out before people learned how to do 3d cameras. It was also super rushed out and is buggy and just all around awful.

Toonstruck - never played, heard good things

Kingpin - A fun old school shooter, very violent and gory if you're into that

MDK 1 & 2 - Both are excellent games, well worth a play

Prehistorik 1 & 2 - Pretty solid 2d platformers. They're not doing anything particularly interesting, but it's executed well.

I have a soft spot for Earthworm Jim 3D by virtue of playing it as a kid, but even then it was remarkably frustrating at many, many points. Feel free to try it anyway, but expect it to be an uphill battle.

Toonstruck and both MDKs are awesome and you should buy them.

Shantom

Freespace 1 and 2 are both 60% off. Does the second game make the first irrelevant, or should I just buy both?

You can get FS1 into FS2 via a mod, so you don't technically need to buy it:

Step 1. Buy Freespace 2 on GOG
Step 2. Download and run the FSO Installer. Select all the fancy graphics options as well as the FreeSpace Port mod. FreeSpace Port ports Freespace 1 into the freespace 2 engine complete with all the fancy graphics upgrades that come with FSO.
Step 3. Play through Freespace and Freespace 2. Rejoice.

Thank you!

Sinatar

Freespace 1 and 2 are both 60% off. Does the second game make the first irrelevant, or should I just buy both?

Step 2. Download and run the FSO Installer. Select all the fancy graphics options as well as the FreeSpace Port mod. FreeSpace Port ports Freespace 1 into the freespace 2 engine complete with all the fancy graphics upgrades that come with FSO.

gabbo

How well do they play with a mouse (i'm sure just asking this makes me a heathen)

draetenth

How well do they play with a mouse (i'm sure just asking this makes me a heathen)

I know I played Freespace 2 with a mouse. However, it was a long time ago so I don't remember how well it played, but I do know I played it for awhile and did beat it so it couldn't have been an issue (for me anyway).

Drakhyrr

I always played it on keyboard and thought it controlled just fine. You are always making small adjustments to your aiming that may actually make it hard to control on some joysticks. I tried to play it with my Saitek ST290 and didn't like it, but it may be better on other joysticks.

mclem

Odd promo; I suspect most people won't be able to take advantage of it, but worth flagging up even so:

Are you one of the lucky people who still own a boxed version of Master of Orion 1, 2, or 3? Do you ever get the craving to revisit those legendary classics that made gaming history? Of course you do. And now you can, just by following these steps:
1. Write down your GOG.com registration email on a piece of paper
2. Take a photo of the game box and/or the CDs together with the email address. Please note that the game and your GOG.com registration email need to be clearly visible in the picture.
3. Send the photo to moo_reclaim@gog.com
Owners of the boxed versions of Master of Orion 1, 2, or both, will receive Master of Orion 1+2. Owners of the boxed version of Master of Orion 3 will get Master of Orion 3.

So, yes: Offer proof of purchase of boxed MoO, get GoG's version added to your library.

mclem

Also, suddenly a sale! It seems like only five minutes since the last one.

Bundles are the theme; Up to 87% off Bit.Trip games, up to 75% off Lucasarts games, and a build-your-own bundle of 80% off a mix of horror games.

Also of note:

Keep coming back to the expanding Bundleopolis Sale to discover new sights and new releases, or exercise your rights as a citizen with build-your-own bundles. If you live here long enough, you might even get to learn its dark secret, which will be revealed just before the city lights go out.

...sounds like it's closing with some notable offer. Trying to figure out why it might be a 'dark secret' - some sort of city-based horror game premiere? Resident Evil strikes me as a possibility, perhaps.

Persona7

Banned
I think I own one or two bit trip games on humble bundle...now I can complete the pack. Well, on PC anyway. I still have the wii version.

Persona7

Banned
I really hope that API leak is true. I really want a DRM free copy of New Vegas. I am not sure on the exact timeline but bit trip is on that list too and it was just released.

Nikodemos

They're got the first two Allods (a.k.a. Rage of Mages in the West) games along with a little-known RPG (Evil Islands) by the same team in one of the bundles. I think it's a (semi-)stealth launch of the series. I believe it's a GOG exclusive. Haven't seen that name since... what was it, 2006?

Sakwoff

They're got the first two Allods (a.k.a. Rage of Mages in the West) games along with a little-known RPG (Evil Islands) by the same team in one of the bundles. I think it's a (semi-)stealth launch of the series. I believe it's a GOG exclusive. Haven't seen that name since... what was it, 2006?

Oh, neat!

The RoM games were actually kind of cool if my memory doesn't fail me. Neat RPG/RTS hybrids before that became all the rage (heh). Pretty tough, too.

I love it when GOG release more obscure old games like these.

Red Hood

Banned
I really hope that API leak is true. I really want a DRM free copy of New Vegas. I am not sure on the exact timeline but bit trip is on that list too and it was just released.

Searching for the words gog new vegas api leak on Google only links your post. Explain thyself.

Catshade

Searching for the words gog new vegas api leak on Google only links your post. Explain thyself.

There are talks about it (also TES IV Oblivion) on GOG forum.

Edit: The non-exhaustive list of games from the API leak:

Astroneer
Besiege
Battlezone 98 Redux
BIT.TRIP Runner
BIT.TRIP Runner Soundtrack
BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien
BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien Soundtrack
BIT.TRIP Runner 2: Good Friends Character Pack
BIT.TRIP BEAT
BIT.TRIP BEAT Soundtrack
BIT.TRIP CORE
BIT.TRIP CORE Soundtrack
BIT.TRIP VOID
BIT.TRIP VOID Soundtrack
BIT.TRIP FATE
BIT.TRIP FATE Soundtrack
BIT.TRIP FLUX
BIT.TRIP FLUX Soundtrack
Black Annex
Bounty Train
Caesar IV
Caladrius Blaze
Codename Panzers: Cold War
Corpse Party
Crashlands
Deathtrap
Defender's Quest II
Demon Age
Descent Underground
Dragon Fin Soup
Dwarves, The
Excubitor
Expeditions: Viking
Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition
Future Unfolding
Grav
Gremlins, Inc.
GUN
Hard Reset Redux
Homeworld Remastered Collection
Hybrid Wars
Kill to Collect
Life is Feudal: Your Own
Little King's Story
Lumo
Medieval Engineers
Necropolis
Niffelheim
Outlast 2
Overfall
Planetary Annihilation: TITANS
Rage of Mages
Savage Lands
Sea Dogs City of Abandoned Ships
"Seawolf"
Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus
Sherlock Holmes versus Jack the Ripper
Sherlock Holmes: Nemesis
Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened - Remastered Edition
Silence
Slime Rancher
Space Engineers
Stardrive
Stardrive 2
Sully: A Very Serious RPG
Testament of Sherlock Holmes, The
Tharsis
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - GOTY Edition
The Mandate
The Pit
The Political Machine 2016
The Unreleased
TimeShift
Town of Light
Upwards, Lonely Robot
Worms WMD
Yooka-Laylee
Zeno Clash

Danny Dudekisser

I kind of can't believe that we've gotten to the point where Shadows of the Empire is considered a big deal on GOG. The game is awful. It was bad even in 1996.

I kind of can't believe that we've gotten to the point where Shadows of the Empire is considered a big deal on GOG. The game is awful. It was bad even in 1996.
Couldn't disagree more. Really enjoyed what I've played of both the N64 and PC versions. Went in expecting something too janky to play, and while I definitely got some jank, it actually plays really well.

Sinatar

Yea I played this on PC when it was new and thought it was trash back then, I can't imagine the years have been kind.

Linkark07

Banned

First level was great, as far as I remember. But let's see, just bought it. Gonna download it and see how bad it has aged.

Edit: yes, it has aged bad.

Finally bought KOTOR I and II, came out to just over £3. Probably worth it.

And is there an official reason why Battlefront II isn't included in the sale? Still want to pic up a DRM-free copy of that.

Danny Dudekisser

So, I've got to ask:

Am I alone in being utterly disappointed with GOG as of late? I felt like they were on the right track a year ago, with them securing some major publishers and putting out some really good games on a pretty regular cadence. But this year? It's been a near-endless stream of junk. It feels like every other game is another shoddy PnC adventure or a managerial sim. And it probably doesn't help that there's more variety than ever on Steam.

Dunno, it's just kinda frustrating. I like DRM-free, but I would also - as it turns out - like to play good games, too.

Top Bottom