• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT7 is a true generational leap in VR

Rudius

Mute the video and let this sound track play in the background. Thank me later.

In the regular old television GT7 is a bit better than GT Sport, but comparing the VR modes of both we see the kind of jump in quality of past console generations.

Apart from a increase in field of view (more demanding in itself) and a dramatic higher resolution, we get better textures, more objects on screen, better (and more) trees, grass, distant scenery, more and better shadows, superior reflections, more spectators and improved lighting.

On top of all that we now have the full game in VR, with 20 cars on screen vs just 2, time of day cycles during races, dynamic weather and rain.

2pNgXlJ.png

zuWdE4U.png
TZjG2FE.png
3mTmQsD.png
Tg2wgND.png
ZqYyJ3Q.png
1V14M0T.png

Rudius

You are telling me the more powerful console with a headset that’s built for more efficient rendering produces a better image!??

parks-and-rec-andy-dwyer.gif
Completely misunderstood the situation.

The flat version of GT7 has a comparatively much smaller jump versus flat GT Sport.

The VR versions of the same games have a large discrepancy in quality.

Both are benefiting from going from PS4 to PS5, but only the VR modes are a vast generational leap, comparable to what we used to get in previous transitions.

RoboFu

One of the green rats

The flat version of GT7 has a comparatively much smaller jump versus flat GT Sport.

Both are benefiting from going from PS4 to PS5, but only the VR modes are a vast generational leap, comparable to what we used to get in previous transitions.

No I understood. The psvr2 has eye tracking and foveated rendering to greatly increase performance and free resources.

If psvr had eye tracking and foveated rendering they could have done much more in terms of optimization.

Some of those GT Sport environments look worse than even GT5/6 at that res. Never tried it when I had a PSVR so didn't know it was as downgraded for VR, kinda glad I didn't as flat GT Sport is still a looker with Pro mode & HDR. Its no wonder GT7 seems a generational jump in comparison

DaGwaphics

GT7 looking really nice there. The dark muddiness of the graphics is what ruined PSVR for me I think, nice to see that PSVR2 is a good step up.

ClosBSAS

Psvr2 probably best vr on market right now
i dunno man. alyx is the killer vr app for the moment. if alyx comes to psv2 with haptics and shit, then it can probably dethrone the pc version. even though pc version has great resolution and graphics.

PanzerCute

It’s very good indeed. But I want Wreckfest, Burnout, Wipeout and Twisted Metal in VR now that I’ve had that experience. Burnout would be absolutely fucking mental.
Take it with a grain of salt obviously, but there is a persistent rumor about a Twisted Metal reboot that would be fully playable on PSVR2.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Racing in VR is probably the most fun I've had playing a video game. It feels so authentic, to the point that it makes the driving easier. I couldn't imagine going back to flatscreen and I wonder how I ever played it like that to begin with. And I'm not even a fan of racing games.

I spent 2.5 hours last night doing license test in GT7 in PSVR2 and LOVED IT!!! I never liked those license tests. It's why I stopped buying GT games with 5. But it's crazy how making a racing game more authentic, makes you want to keep trying those 12 second tests over and over until you get the Gold.

Minsc

I mean, they were released in different generations...
GT7 is still a PS4 game right? And it's more than just that because GT Sport besides the graphics looking way worse is just a shell of the flat game, where GT7 is not missing anything and the entire game is playable on the headset.

You could say RE4 and RE5 were released in different generations too, but most people would say RE4 is the better experience despite being older.

Rudius

I spent 2.5 hours last night doing license test in GT7 in PSVR2 and LOVED IT!!! I never liked those license tests. It's why I stopped buying GT games with 5. But it's crazy how making a racing game more authentic, makes you want to keep trying those 12 second tests over and over until you get the Gold.
The fast loading helps a lot with retrying those tests.

Minsc

Fps, horror, and tactical sims work really well now. We have dual stick controls so you lose nothing, you just gain.

People seemed to really enjoy Skyrim and RE4 on VR, as well as Walkabout Mini Golf.

Rhythm games work great too.

Pinball in VR should be amazing when it releases eventually.

I dunno, the list of genres that don't work in VR is way way smaller than those that do!

Romulus

People seemed to really enjoy Skyrim and RE4 on VR, as well as Walkabout Mini Golf.

Rhythm games work great too.

Pinball in VR should be amazing when it releases eventually.

I dunno, the list of genres that don't work in VR is way way smaller than those that do!

I think people get bothered because it does both ends of the spectrum better than non VR gaming. Rhythm/casual games are much improved in VR, then hard-core sims are vastly superior also. Now fps games and most everything else are seeing advantages.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I got the PSVR2 last week and have been playing a few games the past couple of days. The biggest wow moment was in GT7, but not while racing, but in one of the showrooms in a mode where you're sitting inside the car looking out. I was looking at the inside of the car, looking at the stuff happening around me and then I looked down and saw no one sitting where I was sitting. No body, no legs, no arms and I felt such a confusion because I FELT like I was sitting there, I was waving my arms but didn't see them waving. That was the weirdest body-brain disconnect ever.

Am I crazy or does the night driving look better on PS4? More depth, contrast and color to everything. Obviously it goes without saying less resolution and detail but I mean general color grading and lighting look nicer to my eye.

Crayon

I would love to have seen this pushed in a bundle. And I mean pushed out ahead of horizon. I have a theory that that wasn't going to fly because it doesn't use the controllers.

There's a ton of games for this thing and I keep going back to gt7 every time lol. It's just so great. If you've gone back in time 25 years and ask me what GT would be like, I would have guessed it would be in vr. I would have assumed. Crazy that we just barely got there.

rofif

It's not that the flat version of gt7 got "small jump" to ps5 version.
It is that ps4 was too weak to display gt sport in vr properly

It's not that the flat version of gt7 got "small jump" to ps5 version.
It is that ps4 was too weak to display gt sport in vr properly
correct, that and the fact the VR 'mode' was shoe-horned into the Sport unlike GT7 which had its VR implemented while the game was in development not after the fact.

I could pick out quite a few things in the OP video that arent strictly correct (eg. reflections when talking about the rear view mirror, which isnt a reflection, and textures when the real difference is clarity and resolution) but I get the point of the video.

rofif

correct, that and the fact the VR 'mode' was shoe-horned into the Sport unlike GT7 which had its VR implemented while the game was in development not after the fact.

I could pick out quite a few things in the OP video that arent strictly correct (eg. reflections when talking about the rear view mirror, which isnt a reflection, and textures when the real difference is clarity and resolution) but I get the point of the video.
And on another note - There are still ways to go in vr gaming. We have low "perceived" resolution, glare, chroma, hz, plenty of things to update upon... and 2d gaming is solved. going 1080p to 4k on gt7 is a huge difference but it is what it is. A car can look only so realistic already

Top Bottom