• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT7 is a true generational leap in VR

Wonko_C

Racing in VR is probably the most fun I've had playing a video game. It feels so authentic, to the point that it makes the driving easier. I couldn't imagine going back to flatscreen and I wonder how I ever played it like that to begin with. And I'm not even a fan of racing games.
I remember suffering hell itself trying to get to Zone 70 in Wipeout HD Fury on PS3, but in VR I could consistently reach it without much effort.

ZoukGalaxy

It's not even a killer app for the PS5.

You guys do know killer app means mass appeal and adoption of something as a result of the connected product or service?
Robot All Your Base GIF by The Yetee

ClosBSAS

It's not even a killer app for the PS5.

You guys do know killer app means mass appeal and adoption of something as a result of the connected product or service?
why u gotta get all smart with us johnny? come on...who the fuck cares what it means...alys is the killer app for vr, you gotta top that.

Resenge

I remember suffering hell itself trying to get to Zone 70 in Wipeout HD Fury on PS3, but in VR I could consistently reach it without much effort.
Ahhh I seriously hope they port that to PSVR2. I miss it a lot but cannot be bothered to setup the OG PSVR.

There are a few games I would like ported to PSVR2, Astrobot, Blood and truth for EG.

Actually just gimmie access to my back catalougue of PSVR games on PSVR2 please, because I just can't face to setup the PSVR1 anymore to play them after being spoiled with new headsets.

FunkMiller

The PSVR 2 update apparently improved the clarity in GT7 (and Horizon COTM)

Edit: It did

This kind of stuff is why I'm happy I'm holding off on PSVR2 for a few weeks, while I clear my back catalogue. Sounds like it's going through a decent bedding in process, and by the time I pick one up, it should be singing in tune the best it can.

GametimeUK

The Wipeout VR experience is similar to self induced puking by shoving as many fingers down your throat as humanly possible.
I'm sorry your body can't handle it. You're best off sticking to games with slow cars and flat circuits.

Mute the video and let this sound track play in the background. Thank me later.

In the regular old television GT7 is a bit better than GT Sport, but comparing the VR modes of both we see the kind of jump in quality of past console generations.

Apart from a increase in field of view (more demanding in itself) and a dramatic higher resolution, we get better textures, more objects on screen, better (and more) trees, grass, distant scenery, more and better shadows, superior reflections, more spectators and improved lighting.

On top of all that we now have the full game in VR, with 20 cars on screen vs just 2, time of day cycles during races, dynamic weather and rain.

2pNgXlJ.png

zuWdE4U.png
TZjG2FE.png
3mTmQsD.png
Tg2wgND.png
ZqYyJ3Q.png
1V14M0T.png

I deadass didn't even know there was a GT Sport VR game.

I deadass didn't even know there was a GT Sport VR game.
It was a great "showcase" for the OG PSVR, but it wasn't a very solid VR game. you were VERY limited on tracks and cars you could choose, and there was maximum one other racer with you. It was fun to be like "holy shit I'm IN THE CAR!" but GT7 is a completely different level - not just in terms of graphics but functionality as well.

Crayon

This kind of stuff is why I'm happy I'm holding off on PSVR2 for a few weeks, while I clear my back catalogue. Sounds like it's going through a decent bedding in process, and by the time I pick one up, it should be singing in tune the best it can.

The visual improvement is up for debate. Some say it's not there, some think it's higher resolution. I see it but I think it's just some tweak to the picture maybe more contract or something like that that's gives the impression it's sharper.

People want to see generational leaps in consoles

The same people:
PS4 vs Ps5 - Meh thats not enough of a difference! These are only PS4 games with higher resolution and more fps!
PSVR vs PSVR 2 - Yeah obviously its another gen what did you think would happen?! Not like thats something special, nobody asked for generational leaps!

Last edited:

Crayon

People want to see generational leaps in consoles

The same people:
PS4 vs Ps5 - Meh thats not enough of a difference! These are only PS4 games with higher resolution and more fps!
PSVR vs PSVR 2 - Yeah obviously its another gen what did you think would happen?! Not like thats something special, nobody asked for generational leaps!

Da, people salty that others get to enjoy big leaps the way consoles used to.

Last edited:

darthvargi

GT7 in VR with a wheel is transformational to me. I've never been into sim or even sim like racing games before, I've always just preferred Sega Rally or Daytona USA for my racing fix but this is something else. The HDR colors with the one Rally Race having fireworks at night actually about blinded me and the thrill of flying off a jump in the two dirt rally tracks is incredible.

I also love the go-kart and indycar driving as you really feel the speed that low to the ground. I sincerely think GT7 alone is worth investing in a PSVR 2 and wheel setup.

darthvargi

Wonder if there is a game that doesn't use reprojection on PSVR2?
Not to derail the thread but there are plenty:

1. Pavlov
2. Job Simulator
3. Light Brigade (just was patched into 90 fps).

These are a few I think there are plenty more. Really the games outside of the kayak game that aren't AAA titles are likely all 90 fps native without reprojection.

Unknown?

GT7 is still a PS4 game right? And it's more than just that because GT Sport besides the graphics looking way worse is just a shell of the flat game, where GT7 is not missing anything and the entire game is playable on the headset.

You could say RE4 and RE5 were released in different generations too, but most people would say RE4 is the better experience despite being older.
It is but it's like comparing Crysis on PC and console. GT7 was designed for PS5 with a much downscaled version for PS4.

Gamerguy84

Honestly in the last 2 hardware cycles I've been shocked maybe a handful and GT7 floored me.

When it throws you in the car that's one moment. When you go to the garage or showroom is another.

Then on top of that it plays extremely well. There is still a race to run. There is no doubt PSVR2 was built alongside GT7.

I really like Kayak, and RE but GT is on a different level. For me personally anyway.

Top Bottom