• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hannibal S3 |OT| Man Destroys God. Hannibal Eats Man. Hannibal Inherits The Earth.

The thing about the ending is that
you can read it more than just the obvious way. For example, maybe Will embraced Hannibal in order to force him off the cliff...

I don't really know what to think right now...dissecting this ending is going to be a long gestation.

And most of you will hate it
lol.gif

The Ending was pretty fitting for the show to be honest.

I wouldn't call it perfect but it was satisfying.

But
BUT THAT FIGHT SCENE THOUGH THATS WHAT I WANTED THE ENTIRE TIME AND IT HAPPENED

awp69

I refused to read it but IGN gave the finale a 10. God I hate NBC - mostly for the cancellation but also for this fucking split airing crap.

Leeness

Loved the ending.

That was the most murder husband ending I could have hoped for and I approve. I immediately need a wallpaper of that final, loving embrace.

Also...Bedelia, gurl. Was that her cooking her own leg after amputating, in which case, what stamina! Or did Hannibal make a quick stop over?

Goodstyle

Wow, I'm surprised that I'm alone in hating that ending.

Felt too flashy and lacked impact.
Episode was far too slow. Felt like it ended as it got started.
Will ending up being Hannibal's slave again doesn't feel like progress. I say this on the assumption that they survive and go full "murder husbands".
Bedelia eating her own leg was an incredibly dumb note to end things on.
Jack and Alana didn't get to do anything.
Red Dragon's character arc did not end with enough of a bang. He it felt like he was killed for a "cool" Will and Hannibal team up.

My hope was that this finale would end with a huge shoot out between Will, Alana, and the Great Red Dragon after he's invaded her home because Hannibal revealed its location to the Dragon and she pissed him off some how. This felt like something a Will/Hannibal shipper would come up with, not something the same people who made Digestivo would write.

Found this really cool GIF in the comments of the IGN review :-0

get

I didn't realize how much I wanted it, but now I need a Hannibal point-and-click adventure game...

Loved the ending.

That was the most murder husband ending I could have hoped for and I approve. I immediately need a wallpaper of that final, loving embrace.

Also...Bedelia, gurl. Was that her cooking her own leg after amputating, in which case, what stamina! Or did Hannibal make a quick stop over?

I think she did it herself.

Found this really cool GIF in the comments of the IGN review :-0

get

I didn't realize how much I wanted it, but now I need a Hannibal point-and-click adventure game...
Get the guys who made Life is Strange to do it.

Turin

Banned
Fucking NBC. One of the worst Thursday nights for me right now.

Got home from a long day at 11 pm. Have to wake up at 6 am for school. And I here's the final episode of Hannibal to taunt me until Saturday. -_-

awp69

Is there ANY way for me to watch this now in the US?

Drive to Canada and find someone who has it DVR'd.

Seriously though, knowing that people would be talking about this, and the fact that NBC shouldn't give a shit about its ratings, would it have been a big deal to at least make it available On Demand at the same time it aired in Canada?

A lot of people here are already misinterpreting the ending

The post-credits scene was some time in the aftermath. There were 3 plate settings at the table. They faked their deaths and at least one of them was going to eat her cut-off leg.

It really makes you wonder, What if Hannibal wasn't cancelled and had a another season.

But I'm satisfied with that ending. I'll re-watch it with the rest of Hannibal GAF on Saturday.

Leeness

I think she did it herself.

I can only applaud her then.

A lot of people here are already misinterpreting the ending

This does make more sense though lol.

And yeah, I mean, the ending can be a definite ending, they both died, but can also easily (if there had been a next season) been a faked death scenario and off they went to fetch Bedelia. It works both ways, which is nice :)

Those last 5 minutes!!! Absolutely glorious.

I find it assuring that it also works as a series finale if we never see a season 4. I'll be disappointed if we never see these characters again but I won't be devastated about it now after that ending.

Yeah I'm choosing to believe that Hannibal and Will survived. Why else would Bedelia put a place setting for Will at the table? Would she expect him to be there?

Also, if this really is one of those "could be the series finale if it had to be but also could juse lead to a new season" things then I'm sure Fuller has a way to explain them living.

This was the best episode of a television show that I have ever seen. Hannibal was going in for the kiss. Will should have let him.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Really enjoyed the finale, especially the last segment.

Hannibals and Wills relationship was so my favorite part of the show, so the ending was very fitting.

Gibbles17

Really liked it. Those last ten minutes holy shit.

Also did anyone else notice at the end as the camera pans away from Bedelia towards her leg, that her eyes move and she looks to her right? Looks pretty blatant watching that scene again. +1 for thinking one or both of them are with her. Love the murder husbands idea.

Monocle

I feel a great disturbance in the internet, as though millions of ovaries trembled in excitement, and then suddenly exploded.

Kallor

Looks like Hannibal's
having an old friend for dinner. last 30 seconds lol.

Holy fuck what a great episode though. Better ending for the Dragon than Man Hunter or The Red Dragon.

I guess if this is all we're ever getting out of the series, then that'll do for a series finale. Damn.

Roussow

I can't fathom Bedelia's fucked up levels.

This might be a super dumb question --
But the implication is that she's so fucked up she did that to herself? Or is it showing that Hannibal made it out alive and found Bedilia and is eating her slowly like the guy in the flashbacks earlier this season (the guy in the scenes where he and Hannibal talked about snails) -- that makes more sense to me, but the fact that we didn't see Hannibal made it a touch more ambiguous.

Kallor

This might be a super dumb question --
But the implication is that she's so fucked up she did that to herself? Or is it showing that Hannibal made it out alive and found Bedilia and is eating her slowly like the guy in the flashbacks earlier this season (the guy in the scenes where he and Hannibal talked about snails) -- that makes more sense to me, but the fact that we didn't see Hannibal made it a touch more ambiguous.

My brother and I both agreed with this.
Shes not that crazy. And nobody is gonna cut their own leg off and wait around lol.

Roussow

My brother and I both agreed with this.
Shes not that crazy. And nobody is gonna cut their own leg off and wait around lol.

If there was a season 4, I can imagine them doing even more unreliable narrator stuff around that ending -- they never fell off the cliff, they faked their deaths in the same vein as Dolarhyde in the beggining of the episode -- what we saw was just what the FBI and police could intuit from the crime scene.

I say "If there was a season 4", because naturally the show would have to explain away some details for why at least Hannibal made it out. But if we're done, them falling off the cliff works as a definitive ending... Or them surviving unexplained would work too, being the last scene, no exposition for survival necessary -- the implications of the Bedilia scene are enough to justify the assumption that Hannibal came back to her.

Thinking about the 3 season finales we've gotten, any one of them could've acted as a series finale, if the show was to be canceled after any one of these seasons -- season 1's "Hannibal won", then season 2's "Hannibal won -- and (potentially) killed everyone". Now this. Perfect.

I don't... even have the words.

If this is the end. Truly, the end, the final one, there are no more Hannibal seasons...

That was fucking beautiful. That was literally the perfect ending. It works on so many levels.

I hope, I hope, I hope to God so much we get more Hannibal somehow. A revival, a continuation, specials, something. I love these characters so much.

But if we don't... this just ended absolutely perfectly. What a goddamn ride. One of the greatest television shows I've ever seen.

It wasn't Mizumono level of beauty (I think David Slade's direction is yet to be matched), that's for sure. But it a much more fitting ending to the show (if it is indeed the end) than Season 2 finale could have been.

In fact, I think that I don't need another season, I'm satisfied and content, like my stomach is full after the delicious feast. There could always be room for dessert and I want one eventually. The problem is, I have no idea what next season could be.

Will's entire arc through the show is so brilliantly realized. I think it's more than "Can't live with him, can't live without him" situation that Bedelia is implying. He can't turn back now, there is no "normal' for him anymore. Maybe embracing his ambiguity and his dark side is not going to be sustainable in the long run. For now though, for a short moment before he throws both of them to the sea, to the mouth of hell - he is at peace with himself. This was righteous violence. It was also a beautiful murder, together with Hannibal.

"See? This is all I ever wanted for you, Will. For both of us." Oh Garrett Jacob Hobbs, you will always be in our hearts. We're coming full circle, again.

I do think that Dolarhide was rather an afterthought in the story. I myself never cared for him too much, so it's okay, as far as I'm concerned.

Alana and Margot and The Verger Baby looked fabulous. Where did they escape to? Bedelia should have done the same. Now she's going to be a snail again.

Loved all the humor in this episode. Will's "[Pretty] please" in the prison and later, casually sipping wine as Dolarhide threatens to kill Hannibal. Price and Zeller, being hilarious. And Hannibal being so giddy to finally be free.

I loved it. Right now I'm more happy to get such an ending than sad that it's over. I'm sure the feeling will come soon enough.

And that Siouxsie Sioux song was so beautiful and so fitting. I can't wait for the full single.

Kallor

If there was a season 4, I can imagine them doing even more unreliable narrator stuff around that ending -- they never fell off the cliff, they faked their deaths in the same vein as Dolarhyde in the beggining of the episode -- what we saw was just what the FBI and police could intuit from the crime scene.

I say "If there was a season 4", because naturally the show would have to explain away some details for why at least Hannibal made it out. But if we're done, them falling off the cliff works as a definitive ending... Or them surviving unexplained would work too, being the last scene, no exposition for survival necessary -- the implications of the Bedilia scene are enough to justify the assumption that Hannibal came back to her.

Thinking about the 3 season finales we've gotten, any one of them could've acted as a series finale, if the show was to be canceled after any one of these seasons -- season 1's "Hannibal won", then season 2's "Hannibal won -- and (potentially) killed everyone". Now this. Perfect.

Yup. This is pretty much what we're spitballing back and forth.

jett

D-Member
I knew it.

Bryan Fuller with the long-term bullshitting. There was never supposed to be a season 4.

Well, it was an ending. I'm not sure the Red Dragon's arc made much sense overall, and the finale just didn't compare to S2's, this episode was just as long in the tooth as most eps of this season. Still, sad to see the show go. Good-bye Hannibal.

And seriously, I give exactly zero fucks about Bedelia. Maybe less than zero.

Wookieomg

Beautiful, fitting ending to the series. If we never get a season 4, I will be completely content and satisfied with how it ended. One of the most fantastic pieces of television of one of the greatest shows I've ever seen. So many gorgeous shots in that episode, such as
when Dolarhyde was on his knees in the stylized scene with his wings unfurfled, Hannibal and Will kneeling and crawling to their feet around him like a couple of wounded beasts themselves.. all while he bleeds out like the monstrosity he sought to be. Fucking glorious.

Mariolee

Wow, just wow. That ending. Wow.

Edit:

Wait, am I misinterpreting the ending? I thought
Bedelia is used to being a few steps ahead of Hannibal in terms of manipulation as we saw in the beginning of the season where it was revealed she knew he wanted to eat him and how or in the previous season where she escapes before Hannibal gets to kill her. Now, realizing that Hannibal will most likely escape, she becomes paranoid and crazy enough to set up this dinner and cuts of her leg and cooks it as a sign of amends in order to appease Hannibal so he won't kill her. She suspects he'll bring his murder husband Will so she sets three plates. What she doesn't realize is that Hannibal and Will (though unconfirmed) are dead and so the tragedy is she cut her leg off for nothing, and in addition will most likely live in fear and paranoia for the rest of her life in disbelief that Hannibal is dead. We already saw how terrified she was of Will's plan, it's not that big of a jump to see that she would cut off her own leg. This is one of the few times she's not in control, so she panics like hell.

Wow, just wow. That ending. Wow.

Edit:

Wait, am I misinterpreting the ending? I thought
Bedelia is used to being a few steps ahead of Hannibal in terms of manipulation as we saw in the beginning of the season where it was revealed she knew he wanted to eat him and how or in the previous season where she escapes before Hannibal gets to kill her. Now, realizing that Hannibal will most likely escape, she becomes paranoid and crazy enough to set up this dinner and cuts of her leg and cooks it as a sign of amends in order to appease Hannibal so he won't kill her. She suspects he'll bring his murder husband Will so she sets three plates. What she doesn't realize is that Hannibal and Will (though unconfirmed) are dead and so the tragedy is she cut her leg off for nothing, and in addition will most likely live in fear and paranoia for the rest of her life in disbelief that Hannibal is dead. We already saw how terrified she was of Will's plan, it's not that big of a jump to see that she would cut off her own leg. This is one of the few times she's not in control, so she panics like hell.

That is one possible interpretation. Another is that
Hannibal and Will survived and they came back to have an old friend for dinner.

There is A LOT of ways that one can go from here:

Maybe they are dead. Maybe one is. Maybe they both survived and are on the lam. Maybe Frederick Chilton will recover and hunt Hannibal.

Oh, that'd be great. It felt like they were setting him up a bit to become more Hannibal-esque... all his suffering has propelled him into a league comparable to Verger.

Top Bottom