• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO Original | The Last of Us | Part 1 OT | Endure & Survive

EN250

Man it was SO divisive, so many people thought Joel was crazy and selfish and should have let her bring the vaccine to humanity.

That discourse has changed over time but i remember how crazy the arguments were back then.

Only place I know they decided it was "so divisive" was reeee forum when the 2nd one was about to launch, they suddenly started saying crap like Joel was a murderer (serial killer) and probably a rapist as well because he did anything to survive, so that could be a "possibility" as well, they also were creating their own fan fiction story of the 2nd game being about Ellie going against Joel to kill him once and for all :pie_roffles:

Most people were attached to the core idea of the father figure so killing Ellie was out of the question, it was selfish for sure, but nothing else, also it didn't help the fact the world went to sh*t so what are you trying to save is a bunch of dicks that will kill you on the spot

Also "the cure" didn't have much impact either when many of the collectibles you find in the game picture the Fireflies as a bunch of randoms that don't have a clue about what they're trying to achieve

Last edited:

WoJ

Just watched last night's episode and I have to say it's probably my favorite episode so far. I still think much of this show is rushed and would benefit from another episode or two to expand on Joel and Ellie's relationship. But I really think they did a good job of using this episode to close out the arc of Joel's injury. I know some here have said they didn't like Joel not going into the burning building....but I have to say for whatever reason this worked better for me.

Good episode. The show has its issues. I still think episode 3 was a total waste, but overall this one hit home for me.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Just watched last night's episode and I have to say it's probably my favorite episode so far. I still think much of this show is rushed and would benefit from another episode or two to expand on Joel and Ellie's relationship. But I really think they did a good job of using this episode to close out the arc of Joel's injury. I know some here have said they didn't like Joel not going into the burning building....but I have to say for whatever reason this worked better for me.

Good episode. The show has its issues. I still think episode 3 was a total waste, but overall this one hit home for me.
Didn't mention in my last post to avoid spoilers but I guess that's a non issue here. So yeah I too kept thinking he'll burst in to brutalize that fucker and save her but also think it's better they ended up not fulfilling that expectation and having Ellie deal with it all on her own! It was awesome.

Ep 3 however is still the best, would have loved to see the supposed 2+ hour even more heart wrenching initial storyboard as some Last of Us spin off movie, maybe they could have omitted all that and just have Joel mention having friends there but finding nobody and never reading that letter out loud, only have Joel find it and read it to himself and stop Ellie from going in that room, then bam drop the movie inbetween seasons with that story arc expanded in all its glory showing what was the real deal with that house and door and letter.

Last edited:

Loomy

Neo Member
Only place I know they decided it was "so divisive" was reeee forum when the 2nd one was about to launch, they suddenly started saying crap like Joel was a murderer (serial killer) and probably a rapist as well because he did anything to survive, so that could be a "possibility" as well, they also were creating their own fan fiction story of the 2nd game being about Ellie going against Joel to kill him once and for all :pie_roffles:

Most people were attached to the core idea of the father figure so killing Ellie was out of the question, it was selfish for sure, but nothing else, also it didn't help the fact the world went to sh*t so what are you trying to save is a bunch of dicks that will kill you on the spot

Also "the cure" didn't have much impact either when many of the collectibles you find in the game picture the Fireflies as a bunch of randoms that don't have a clue about what they're trying to achieve

You must have a selective memory. A lot of people were not happy Joel decided to save Ellie. I wouldn't say it was most people, but it was a pretty vocal group. And that was ages before the forum split.

DForce

It was divisive because people debate if Joel made the right decision.

You also had fans creating a bunch of strange theories fo further justify Joel's decision. The one you mentioned about the collectibles isn't true at all. lol

You must have a selective memory. A lot of people were not happy Joel decided to save Ellie. I wouldn't say it was most people, but it was a pretty vocal group. And that was ages before the forum split.
Also agree, either they have a selective memory or they had kids since then and changed their mind. A LOT of people were saying Joel was selfish.

Last edited:

Laieon

It doesn’t have to be a 1:1 copy but it has to be better - otherwise what’s the point?

No it doesn't; it just has to succeed in it's mission of effectively telling the same (or close enough) story and get it's point across. This is clearly a tale that Druckman and friends want to tell and for people to experience, but even though it's 2023 not everyone is necessarily interested in playing a video game, so they're telling it in another more accessible one. They're obviously succeeding too, based simply on word of mouth, praise for the show, and the fact that viewership is growing episode to episode. I teach at an elementary school and it's honestly ridiculous and pretty cool how many middle aged soccer moms are watching this show who never heard of the game, would have never played it, but are just as engaged with the story and Joel/Ellie as "gamers" were a decade ago.

Adaptations not being as good as the source material isn't exactly a new concept; there's a reason why "the book was better" is such a common phrase and yet decades or centuries old novels, plays, and tales continue to be adapted for modern audiences; for many those stories are still engaging and interesting, many adaptations are good enough, and at the end of the day audiences aren't going to be aware of cut content, plot changes, or changes between characters (look at the changes between Ron and Hermione in the HP movies when compared to the book; hell - where's my man Peeves?) because obviously they haven't experienced that original source material. Again, that original source material might be in a medium that people just have no interest in engaging in - being able to tell their stories in some capacity is better than those stories not being heard at all.

All Quiet On the Western Front was just remade; how many people do you think checked it out who had previously read the book (or the 1930s movie that was adapted from it)? How many people who saw 2021's A West Side Story saw the original play? How many people watched A Star Is Born in 2018 while being familiar with the original 1937 movie? How many people who played God of War do you think have actually read Greek/Norse mythology? How many kids watched Frozen without reading The Snow Queen?

Maybe an adaptation will lead someone to check out the source material (why do you think so many books have "Now a Movie!" pasted on there covers?) - maybe someone watching this show will decide to check out the game for the first time and come to their own conclusion on what version of Bill they prefer, what version of Ellie they prefer, and whether or not less action is really that detrimental to the overall story being told. Or, maybe they won't, they'll stick with the show, and that's ultimately fine too.

Thankfully, an adaptation doesn't cease the source material or previous adaptations from existing; so if you prefer version A of the story over version B, that's fine - it's still there for you!

Last edited:

EN250

Well, I can only talk about my experience, being from Latam, social media and comments on sites at the time were all in on saving Ellie after the journey Joel made with her, I guess for the Americans in the North was different, I only remembered the reee stuff because it was so crazy, guess it was more common than I thought

Last edited:

Dorohedoro

The penultimate episode was OK overall. The highlight was easily Ellie turning David into jelly, which sold me on Bella's take of the character. I'm looking forward to seeing more of that rage in the following seasons. David's actor was solid in his portrayal, even if somewhat unconvincing at first. It's worth mentioning that Troy Baker was pretty good with the few lines he had. It had a few problems though. First they ripped a little too much dialogue from the game verbatim in the initial encounter. That sort of thing should've been reserved for the more "iconic" scenes, and this isn't one of them imo. I wish they would have woven more "gameplay" sections into the show here and there. This episode in particular could've used it. Having a small battle vs infected alongside David to make the audience believe he seems at least slightly trustworthy before having him drop that bomb about knowing what she's been up to like we saw in the game would've been nice. In the show it goes from 0 to 100 within a couple of minutes after the characters just met. Didn't feel as earned. The interrogation scene was good but I could without the MCU-style implied kill of the last hunter. I would've preferred to actually see him (quickly) getting his head smashed in like the game.

The pacing of the episode in general just seemed a bit too fast for my taste. Maybe it would've felt fine if I've never played the game before, or the episode was like 10-20 minutes longer. Also the "crazy man" line made more sense to me when Joel killed a bunch of guys instead of just one. And I know I'm just adding to the pile now with this complaint but it sucks how there are barely any infected encounters. There didn't have to be a horde every episode but they definitely took it in the other extreme which is a shame. Did they start running on fumes with the budget after that big setpiece in episode 5? All the townsfolk just disappearing at the end was bizarre, nobody was interested in checking out that burning building apparently.

Also it was kind of funny how Joel didn't seem to have the strength to even nod his head at Ellie or even let out a moan when she tells him her plan on how to deal with the impending danger but the second the dude walked into the house and moved the shelf...

3qS1xuN.jpg

Last edited:

Justin9mm

I wasn't a big fan of the new episode. Bella Ramsey was great but the events happened too quickly. Episode felt too short and they left out many things.
Yep, definitely rushed, this is how I've felt through the whole series with the story, my two negatives are that some of it was rushed yet dragged on at the same time, when I reflect on all the episodes, there is not very much action. And this is coming from someone who loved how they did episode 3. I think because I've played Part 1 story 3 times and I know the story, it doesn't hit as hard emotionally because I know what happens. Bit of a let-down overall but still enjoyed it. I actually loved Part 2 game so interested to see it expand with a lot more action hopefully.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Jesus Christ. Episode 9 is only 45 minutes!

How the fuck do you even begin to let the last act breathe in such a short run time?

I've had the same thoughts after seeing the episode length. I saw the runtime for the episode that just aired and was concerned about that, but this?

Salt Lake City wandering
Giraffes
The tunnel bus Waterworld infected hellscape
Fireflies acquire Ellie
Marlene convo
Rambo
Dr. Rousey and his nurse assistant who sounds just like his daughter in five years getting got
The car ride
The final convo and return to Tommy's

They're cutting something. They're rushing two or three things. And fucking most bizarre of all, They're ADDING things. In an episode the length of an average Law and Order episode.

Skeptical, but in.

DelireMan7

Love the 3 last episode. Somehow really appreciated "Left behind" while not liking playing it.

Episode 8 was great. I was concerned on how the violence was hidden in the first half of the season. I don't really like violence itself but it plays an important in the Last of Us story, especially for the ending.

How the fuck do you even begin to let the last act breathe in such a short run time?

This !

How are they doing a full season of 1h episode but decide to make the last one (and I guess one of the most anticipated) the shortest...

At least there is the full hospital scene which is the most important for me. I never get the hype for the giraffes scene. I was like "Ho cool giraffes, let's move on".

VulcanRaven

‘The Last of Us’ Episode 8 Hits Series High of 8.1 Million Viewers, Up 74% From Season Premiere:
https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/the-last-of-us-episode-8-ratings-viewers-1235544609/

The penultimate episode of “The Last of Us” Season 1 reached an impressive 8.1 million viewers on Sunday night.

According to Warner Bros. Discovery, that makes Episode 8 the series’ most viewed thus far. Previously, that title belonged to Episode 4 with 7.5 million viewers, though WBD did not make data available regarding the audience size of Episodes 5-7.

These figures point to linear viewership on HBO’s cable platform combined with streams on HBO Max through each episode’s premiere night. The 8.1 million viewers who tuned into Episode 8, titled “When We Are In Need,” contributed to a 74% increase from the viewership of the series premiere, which drew an audience of 4.7 million people.

That article also says that the Oscars will air at the same time as the finale debuts. I wonder how it will affect?

Last edited:

Strategize

The games last act barely breathes anyway, after the giraffes it's a bunch of action with some short but impactful scenes spliced inbetween.
I've had the same thoughts after seeing the episode length. I saw the runtime for the episode that just aired and was concerned about that, but this?

Salt Lake City wandering
Giraffes
Fireflies acquire Ellie
Marlene convo
Rambo
Dr. Rousey and his nurse assistant who sounds just like his daughter in five years getting got
The car ride

They're cutting something. They're rushing two or three things. And fucking most bizarre of all, They're ADDING things. In an episode the length of an average Law and Order episode.

Skeptical, but in.
The infected tunnel won't be in, and most of these scenes are like 1 or 2 mins long anyway.

Last edited:

ZehDon

‘The Last of Us’ Episode 8 Hits Series High of 8.1 Million Viewers, Up 74% From Season Premiere:
https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/the-last-of-us-episode-8-ratings-viewers-1235544609/

That article also says that the Oscars will air at the same time as the finale debuts. I wonder how it will affect?
The Oscar's have lost an enormous amount of relevance and viewership in the last ten years. Honestly, I doubt it impacts this much at all. Could be wrong, of course.

My only issue, and I completely get it for realism is that I wanted to see Joel going full ham and murdering the towns folk to get to Ellie..to Show how he had gone back to beast mode to get to her.

I totally get it though, it would make absolutely no sense to see him getting shots of Penicillin and then being a murder machine...so they handled it well. I just personally love that part in the game and I think if handled right could have added a lot of dynamic to Joel's TV character persona.

DForce

Salt Lake City wandering
Giraffes
Fireflies acquire Ellie
Marlene convo
Rambo
The car ride

Skeptical, but in.

Episode 9 is going to start with a flashback of Anna and Marlene.

If you take away the gameplay segments at the hospital, all the cutscenes are about 15 minutes long.

The tunnel/bus sequence looks to have been replaced with a flash grenade that will knock them unconscious. The only infected in this episode will be featured in the flashback with Anna.

It seems like enough time to tell the last part of the game.

SCB3

Salt Lake City wandering
Giraffes
Fireflies acquire Ellie
Marlene convo
Rambo
The car ride

Skeptical, but in.

Some pretty easy cuts, I would go with this episode structure:

• Arrive in the City
  • Giraffes
  • Hospital
  • Joel sent away, finds out the truth
  • Goes Joel Rambo
  • Saves Ellie
  • Shoots Doctor/Abbies Dad
  • Shoots Marlene/Car Ride Scene
  • Final Convo, on way to Tommy's

Can fit that into 39 Mins

However, I do agree, it needed another 1 or 2 eps. the last episode felt a bit rushed tbh

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I force myself to watch it and I can't say that I'm enjoying it too much. I guess these thoughts will not change with the season finale. It makes you feel like you are watching ordinary episodes from the 42nd season of the walking dead. It could've been a good movie though.

Dr.Morris79

It's okay to be gay is still an issue for some of you? Why are gamers such conservative cry baby pussies.
Of course it's okay to be gay. But why is everything gay now? No one cares. It's not the 50's anymore

It's highly hilarious that some still think it makes entertaining telly. Even in this series they wasted a whole episode on a gay couple like it's revolutionary :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Lasha

Of course it's okay to be gay. But why is everything gay now? No one cares. It's not the 50's anymore

It's highly hilarious that some still think it makes entertaining telly. Even in this series they wasted a whole episode on a gay couple like it's revolutionary :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Eiknarf

Some pretty easy cuts:

• Arrive in the City
  • Giraffes
  • Hospital
  • Goes Joel Rambo
  • Saves Ellie

Can fit that into 39 Mins

However, I do agree, it needed another 1 or 2 eps. the last episode felt a bit rushed tbh
There’s literally no way they cut the giraffe. Zero chance

VulcanRaven

Episode 8 spoilers:

I was a bit distracted with the cgi backround when Ellie was killing David. I don't know if the whole thing was cgi but it looked odd. It almost ruined great moment. Bella's acting was great.

Last edited:

EN250

Some pretty easy cuts:

• Arrive in the City
  • Giraffes
  • Hospital
  • Goes Joel Rambo
  • Saves Ellie

Imagine taking out the gifaffes scene, one of the most touching moments in the game, wth, also Joel going Rambo won't happen like in the game, but it has to happen in some way, scaled down for sure, but it has to, otherwise there is no sense of urgency if the fireflies don't stand their ground to fight Joel while he's rushing to save Ellie

Also Marlene has to be there because she's the leader of the fireflies, Joel shoots her because he knows if she's alive, she's going try to get her back again

And the final conversation they have Idk, the way it works in the game is perfect, Joel telling Ellie that she wasn't needed for a cure and the final cut of her with a moment of doubt, like knowing it's a lie and going along with it, just worked so well imo

SCB3

Imagine taking out the gifaffes scene, one of the most touching moments in the game, wth, also Joel going Rambo won't happen like in the game, but it has to happen in some way, scaled down for sure, but it has to, otherwise there is no sense of urgency if the fireflies don't stand their ground to fight Joel while he's rushing to save Ellie

Also Marlene has to be there because she's the leader of the fireflies, Joel shoots her because he knows if she's alive, she's going try to get her back again

And the final conversation they have Idk, the way it works in the game is perfect, Joel telling Ellie that she wasn't needed for a cure and the final cut of her with a moment of doubt, like knowing it's a lie and going along with it, just worked so well imo
I miswrote, thats what'd I'd keep in the Episode

How is the last episode of this 45 minutes long? that is absolutely criminal......

Such a shame, what a great show overall which has been stripped of the ability to really let its characters breath. I want more, I'm gutted over 45 mins :(

No way they cut the giraffes...absolutely no way.

Directors cut of this season when?

Last edited:

DelireMan7

When I said they should have cut the first game into two seasons everybody thought I was crazy. The show is good so far but it could have been great.
Don't know. 2 seasons looks way too long.

I mean replace the flashbacks from the beginning of the season and episode 3 with actual game part (sorry but for me these flashbacks and episode 3 are just fillers) and set the last episode on 1h like the others and it would be perfect.

I was a bit skeptical after the first few episodes but after episode 3 it went better and better. The pacing from there is fine I think.

When I said they should have cut the first game into two seasons everybody thought I was crazy. The show is good so far but it could have been great.
Two seasons would be a stretch, in my opinion, but I definitely think it needed more than 9 episodes. I really think 12 would have been much better and would have given more time for the Joel/Ellie relationship to develop, allowed for more infected or raider action, and made sure less was cut from the game.

MaKTaiL

Two seasons would be a stretch, in my opinion, but I definitely think it needed more than 9 episodes. I really think 12 would have been much better and would have given more time for the Joel/Ellie relationship to develop, allowed for more infected or raider action, and made sure less was cut from the game.
One thing I wish they could have added was the Hotel/Flooded City part and the elevator scene where they could have introduced the stalker variant. It would have been the "scary" episode the show needed to make infected more menacing.

Strategize

You are crazy, the game has nowhere near enough content for two seasons. Hell, I'm not even sure there's enough content for two more episodes.

SlimySnake

The Contrarian
You are crazy, the game has nowhere near enough content for two seasons. Hell, I'm not even sure there's enough content for two more episodes.

10 episodes wouldve been perfect had they kept the Left behind DLC, kansas Karen subplot, the long drawn out intro with sarah and Bill's story out of the game. HBO actually ordered 10 episodes but they merged the first two because they didnt feel the first episode was interesting enough.

There are just too many new things added to the show that came at the expense of crucial character development moments for not just Ellie and Joel, but also Sam, Henry, David, Tess and even Bill. Then there is the fact that every scene they cut had Joel and Ellie in it. David gets his own character development with several scenes with his cult, but in the game, you exclusively saw him with Ellie which not just developed his character but also Ellie's. Samething with Sam and Henry. In the game, Henry and Joel have a very adversarial relationship that develops both characters but in the game, Sam and Henry are alone for the first half of the episode. In the game, you spend almost 2 hours with them. Bill's interactions with Ellie help us finally see Ellie come out of her shell and show us for the kind of witty, ballsy, and tough chick under that sweet charming doey eyed exterior.

The show skips all of this to focus almost exclusively on side characters who die at the end of each episode leaving both Joel and Ellie half as developed as they were in the game. Which is why people think the show needed ten more episodes.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

The Contrarian

The hospital section in the game is an hour long. Most of it is walking. There is one zombie encounter and one human encounter. One scene with Marlene. And then the ending. I’m surprised they found 40 minutes of material in there. Probably why they added the ashley Johnson cameo. Might have also introduced abby and abbys dad.

Really not that much left.

Shakka43

The hospital section in the game is an hour long. Most of it is walking. There is one zombie encounter and one human encounter. One scene with Marlene. And then the ending. I’m surprised they found 40 minutes of material in there. Probably why they added the ashley Johnson cameo. Might have also introduced abby and abbys dad.

Really not that much left.
I expect Marlene's scenes to be a little longer, a bit more philosophical and preachy. Painting Joel's decisions more egoistical in order to ease the audience on siding with Abby. The show has being very on the nose with it's storytelling and I don't expect the last episode to be any different.

SlimySnake

The Contrarian
I expect Marlene's scenes to be a little longer, a bit more philosophical and preachy. Painting Joel's decisions more egoistical in order to ease the audience on siding with Abby. The show has being very on the nose with it's storytelling and I don't expect the last episode to be any different.
Oh yeah. Show is lacking nuance and subtlety. i fully expect them to lay out Ellie and Joel's motivations instead of letting the audience get there on their own.

Game Ending:
Ellie: Promise me everything you said about the fireflies is true.
Joel: I promise.
Ellie: Ok.
Cut to Title.

Show Ending:
Ellie: Promise me everything you said about the fireflies is true.
Joel: I promise.
Ellie: Ok. I know you're lying, but I need a father figure to deal with my trauma so I will choose to believe your lie and we will build our relationship on this lie.
Joel: Thanks Ellie. We really are the Last of Us.
Cut to Title.

Last edited:
Top Bottom