• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO Original | The Last of Us | Part 1 OT | Endure & Survive

MaKTaiL

10 episodes wouldve been perfect had they kept the Left behind DLC, kansas Karen subplot, the long drawn out intro with sarah and Bill's story out of the game. HBO actually ordered 10 episodes but they merged the first two because they didnt feel the first episode was interesting enough.

There are just too many new things added to the show that came at the expense of crucial character development moments for not just Ellie and Joel, but also Sam, Henry, David, Tess and even Bill. Then there is the fact that every scene they cut had Joel and Ellie in it. David gets his own character development with several scenes with his cult, but in the game, you exclusively saw him with Ellie which not just developed his character but also Ellie's. Samething with Sam and Henry. In the game, Henry and Joel have a very adversarial relationship that develops both characters but in the game, Sam and Henry are alone for the first half of the episode. In the game, you spend almost 2 hours with them. Bill's interactions with Ellie help us finally see Ellie come out of her shell and show us for the kind of witty, ballsy, and tough chick under that sweet charming doey eyed exterior.

The show skips all of this to focus almost exclusively on side characters who die at the end of each episode leaving both Joel and Ellie half as developed as they were in the game. Which is why people think the show needed ten more episodes.
90% agree with everything you said. Sarah's intro and Left Behind were needed though.

SlimySnake

The Contrarian
90% agree with everything you said. Sarah's intro and Left Behind were needed though.
But left behind wasn’t even in the original and it worked showing that it wasn’t needed. It’sa nice side story that complements the main story but needed is a bit strong.

I think tv cold opens are a very effective way of telling these mini stories. I think both the Riley and bill stories could’ve been told as 5-10 cold opens like Up.

My only issue, and I completely get it for realism is that I wanted to see Joel going full ham and murdering the towns folk to get to Ellie..to Show how he had gone back to beast mode to get to her.

I totally get it though, it would make absolutely no sense to see him getting shots of Penicillin and then being a murder machine...so they handled it well. I just personally love that part in the game and I think if handled right could have added a lot of dynamic to Joel's TV character persona.
would have made no sense like you say. He took down 3 towns people, that was enough.

What was actually missing is Ellie and David fighting maybe 3-4 infected in the shack while they waited for the medicine. Hell maybe just one, David saving Ellie with a gun he had hidden or something.

MirageMew2

Neo Member
Where’s the infected? Where’s the rest of the town when Joel and Ellie are shooting the place up? I’m beginning to not enjoy this anymore. They absolutely nail the make-up, audio, and VFX of infected and they feel entirely sidelined over the course of the show by episode 8. Unless there’s a serious deviation in the finale, there’s literally no room for major infected encounters and so far every major beat from the game has been cut.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Here's how I think episode 9 will go down respective to the game.

It'll start much of the same way the spring section did in the game. Ellie will be looking bummed. During their travels it'll cut to a flashback with Ellie's mom(Ashley Johnson) and Marlene. Marlene will promise to take care of Ellie. It'll cut back to present. Eventually Ellie and Joel will be found by the firelies. The previewed showed a flashbang so maybe they get stunned instead of the under water scenes. Arrive at hospital and it'll carry on much like the game.

I do wonder if they'll do the giraffe part. I know people will be pissed if they don't.

I'm watching people's reaction to Episode 8

The part where people got emotional is when Joel called Ellie "baby girl".

I think they did a good job making their father-and-daughter relationship believable.

Seeing their reaction to episode 9 is going to be something else.
Why do all youtube thumbnails look the same? Same open mouth expression no matter what they’re watching. And as another poster mentioned, that line is not earned in the show because Joel has no idea what went on in the resort.

With regards to the father-daughter relationship, I don’t think they spent enough time on it. I only know of the relationship because I played the game.

DForce

Why do all youtube thumbnails look the same? Same open mouth expression no matter what they’re watching. And as another poster mentioned, that line is not earned in the show because Joel has no idea what went on in the resort.
Because that's how people who make reaction videos make their thumbnails.

He doesn't need to know what went on in the resort. Anyone could see that she was traumatized with blood on her face and she was screaming as soon as Joel grabbed Ellie.

With regards to the father-daughter relationship, I don’t think they spent enough time on it. I only know of the relationship because I played the game.

Many people haven't and it seems like they spent enough time to where people see Joel as Ellie's "father."

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell

I think they did a good job making their father-and-daughter relationship believable.

Seeing their reaction to episode 9 is going to be something else.
I think it's more emotional in the game, but it's still emotional in the show. The game gave it more time to savor and Gustavo's music brought out full emotions.

The reason baby girl is so emotional is because it's really the first time you see Joel acknowledge her as an adopted daughter type. Ever since losing Sarah he's had a hole in his heart that needed to be replaced, but he was afraid to find love like that again out of fear it would eventually be taken away from him and tear that wound open all over again. But now all he cares about is protecting her and for her he's the only one who has ever been like a father to her and made her feel safe her entire life.

It is done well in the show -- especially if you don't have the game version to compare it with.

For us gamers it is very easy to see the things that the game had but the show missed. For example, Joel stopping Ellie from keep hitting David's dead body.

But there are things that the show is also doing better than the game at the same time. For example, when Joel says "baby girl" to Ellie for the first time, his watch is also in the camera shot, his eyes are closed, as if he has finally accepted it when he says the line, "I got you."

There will always be some things that will be better in the game, and some things that will be better in the show. You can't replicate it 1:1, and you shouldn't.

been a while since I played the game but it seems like they have a lot of ground to cover in this next episode.
There isn't a lot actually. After I watched the 1st episode and thought which scenes each episode would have, I knew the penultimate episode would end with Winter/David. And my first thought was how will they fill the last episode because there really isn't many scenes they can cover.

They can include: one conversation with Joel and Ellie about Sarah, one conversation about David/Ellie's PTSD, the Giraffe scene, Ellie drowning, and then the hospital scene.

It's just 45-minutes, so that's good. But I think they will add at least 1-2 new scenes that weren't in the game to fill the episode.

DForce

I think it's more emotional in the game, but it's still emotional in the show. The game gave it more time to savor and Gustavo's music brought out full emotions.

The reason baby girl is so emotional is because it's really the first time you see Joel acknowledge her as an adopted daughter type. Ever since losing Sarah he's had a hole in his heart that needed to be replaced, but he was afraid to find love like that again out of fear it would eventually be taken away from him and tear that wound open all over again. But now all he cares about is protecting her and for her he's the only one who has ever been like a father to her and made her feel safe her entire life.

I think the majority of the audience believes they love each other at this point and that's what's important despite not having nearly as much time in comparison to the game.

If you can make people believe these two people care about each other, then that's really what matters.

People wonder why they spend too much time on side characters.. Well, the side characters are also important to the story. If they didn't develop a story for these characters and they died, the audience probably wouldn't care.

Every time a character died, they brought up moments Henry had with Sam, Frank had with Bill etc. This is how people get emotionally invested in these characters.

But yes, the "baby girl" was very personal and it meant a lot to the characters and the audience.

DForce

It is done well in the show -- especially if you don't have the game version to compare it with.

For us gamers it is very easy to see the things that the game had but the show missed. For example, Joel stopping Ellie from keep hitting David's dead body.

But there are things that the show is also doing better than the game at the same time. For example, when Joel says "baby girl" to Ellie for the first time, his watch is also in the camera shot, his eyes are closed, as if he has finally accepted it when he says the line, "I got you."

There will always be some things that will be better in the game, and some things that will be better in the show. You can't replicate it 1:1, and you shouldn't.

It reminds me of the Marvel movies..

Ironman 2008 has been leading up to Endgame 2019. Most people who have watched these movies have not read the comics and they're not going to realize how many moments were rushed.

So you're right, they can't replicate everything, but they can still do a great job making the show entertaining and that's exactly what they're doing now.

The show is growing in viewers every single week and it's one of the most successful video game adaptions of all time. This is why I shake my head when people think they failed. lol

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
The last episode was great with exception of the ending, as others pointed out, what happened to the rest of the town as it burned?
They could have at least had them stumble out the back door or something and out where people wouldn't be.......

engstra

Really enjoyed episode 8. Moved at a faster pace than I hoped but still hit all the major plot points. Happy that they kept the brutality from the game in this episode, was afraid they would nerf it a bit. But that torture scene was great.

Didn't mention in my last post to avoid spoilers but I guess that's a non issue here. So yeah I too kept thinking he'll burst in to brutalize that fucker and save her but also think it's better they ended up not fulfilling that expectation and having Ellie deal with it all on her own! It was awesome.
Joel didn't kill David in the game. He came into the burning restaurant and saw Ellie hacking away at him, and rushed over to stop her losing control. Was interesting that it doesn't pan out the same way in the show. Felt like that vulnerability and shock Joel feels from seeing her do that was lost in the show.

engstra

Do people really think Episode 1 was that good? Thought that episode was just ok. The car scene during the outbreak was good but apart from that it felt super zombie tropey. If anything it was making me worried it would just be another Walking Dead or something. Thankfully it improved a lot with the following episodes.

Interesting how Joel went from so hurt he couldn't even talk to walking around killing people in 5 minutes.

Anyway it was a good episode and as violent as the game.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Thankfully it improved a lot with the following episodes.
hAEaa9t.gif

Really liking the additional content for the show.

Wonder what Craig will do next whenever the show wraps but hopefully that's not for a long time if the third game can come out by the end of the PS5 cycle.

Where’s the infected? Where’s the rest of the town when Joel and Ellie are shooting the place up? I’m beginning to not enjoy this anymore. They absolutely nail the make-up, audio, and VFX of infected and they feel entirely sidelined over the course of the show by episode 8. Unless there’s a serious deviation in the finale, there’s literally no room for major infected encounters and so far every major beat from the game has been cut.
This has been my biggest issue so far, and it's completely made me care a lot less about the show as more episodes come out.

Now with the final episode left I'm pretty disappointed.

Interesting how Joel went from so hurt he couldn't even talk to walking around killing people in 5 minutes.

Anyway it was a good episode and as violent as the game.
Yes, it is odd he goes from barely conscious to able to kill full grown men suddenly, but to be fair to the show, the game is pretty much identical in that regard. Actually, this is probably the first time this season where I think the show SHOULD have deviated from the game, but didn't.

killatopak

The way he healed in the game is even more far fetched. He was impaled straight through the chest with a metal rod and a 14 year old with no medical training and limited resources was able to save him. In a world with no infected and a state of the art hospital it would have been a miracle to survive that.
I think a bit of suspension of disbelief is warranted. She did train under Fedra.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I may have read it the wrong way, but I felt it was implied that what was most debilitating Joel was an infection - because the wound itself didn't seem that heinous and he did not appear to lose massive amounts of blood. Penicillin works remarkably quickly, often so quickly one can witness the reduction of symptoms within minutes of injection.

I think Mazin might have snuck in a subtle joke with Joel being saved by fungus.

Woz

Re: where’s the rest of the people? Why nobody noticed the burning lodge? Why nobody heard anything suspicious?

I think that since there’s a snow storm outside, everyone is tucked in their homes making difficult to notice the smoke or hear the few shots fired at Ellie by David in the butcher’s room.

Laieon

Re: where’s the rest of the people? Why nobody noticed the burning lodge? Why nobody heard anything suspicious?

I think that since there’s a snow storm outside, everyone is tucked in their homes making difficult to notice the smoke or hear the few shots fired at Ellie by David in the butcher’s room.

David and his goons were clearly the leaders in the community too, and during the dinner scene everyone seemed like they felt a bit uncomfortable around him. I got the impression he was more feared than loved. Maybe they were all just waiting around for his marching orders, or were thanking god for answering their prayers and were on their merry way outta town.

Reactions: Woz

OZ9000

Just saw episode 7. Another shitty episode with more pointless filler content with nothing to advance the plot or story. They could have really condensed this into 10 mins.

I thought this show started out well, but I was wrong. It's awful.

Last edited:

It's a resort. Dining and kitchen room are far from where people live. And there's a storm happened like you said.

DForce

Just saw episode 7. Another shitty episode with more pointless filler content with nothing to advance the plot or story. They could have really condensed this into 10 mins.

I thought this show started out well, but I was wrong. It's awful.
Ellie has survivor's guilt.

Riley's death is one of the main reasons why she has it. Every single side character advances the plot and story of Joel and Ellie.

- How did Ellie get bit?
- Who did Ellie have to kill?
- Who was her first love?

Eiknarf

Is it true Bella Ramsay isn't being recasted as Ellie for S2 onwards?
Wait what? Where’d ya hear that?

If the show is a hit, and it is, they won’t change it. I mean, everyone else practically dies, so, the only constant is Bella as Ellie

she’s already of the age in real life that Ellie is in Part 2, so she’s set. Would be dumb to recast

Eiknarf

Is it true Bella Ramsay isn't being recasted as Ellie for S2 onwards?
“There is zero question, absolutely none, that Bella Ramsey will be returning for season 2 of The Last of Us. They will likely change their hair and clothes and they’ll age them up a bit to look less like a 14 year old and more like their actual age, but it will be them. The biggest open question is who will play their rival, the bursting-with-muscle Abby, and how the two of them will feel squaring off in combat. Which I cannot wait to see.

Update (3/8): For those still questioning whether or not Bella will be back, here’s an interview with W which talks about the process of separating from the character now that filming has wrapped”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...being-recast-for-the-last-of-us-season-2/amp/

I hate it. There was probably one successful YouTube channel that came up with it originally, then 1000 "social media consultants" bandwagoned on it, applied causation to correlation, and told their clients to do it if they, too, want to be successful. Since so many channels do it, other channels continue to do it.

“There is zero question, absolutely none, that Bella Ramsey will be returning for season 2 of The Last of Us. They will likely change their hair and clothes and they’ll age them up a bit to look less like a 14 year old and more like their actual age, but it will be them. The biggest open question is who will play their rival, the bursting-with-muscle Abby, and how the two of them will feel squaring off in combat. Which I cannot wait to see.

Update (3/8): For those still questioning whether or not Bella will be back, here’s an interview with W which talks about the process of separating from the character now that filming has wrapped”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...being-recast-for-the-last-of-us-season-2/amp/
Abby. Thought it was pretty obvious.

0_Game-of-Thrones-Season-3.jpg

Top Bottom