• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West |OT| Red Head Redemption - II -

Fox Mulder

Man, my initial impressions ended up being completely right. The gameplay really is a mess of stapled-on systems that don’t work well with the original gameplay.

I mean, they nerfed stealth and traps, but then they made ranged completely OP. Once you have braced shot and maxed out range master the game is essentially over. You can just use that in every fight and it becomes a cakewalk.

The legendary gear grind is terrible. I mean, the entire upgrade/crafting system is overdone and should have been removed entirely, but it’s especially bad for the top tier stuff. I’m talking about multiple machine parts from machines that barely exist out in the world.

Can we also talk about the number of annoying “puzzles” they put in the game to artificially extend its length? Having to pull fucking boxes is so 2005. I can’t believe they put it in the game.

Then there’s the grapple hook, which is basically useless outside of specific times they want you to use it. Why invest so much development time in something so pointless?

I loved using multiple weapons and tactics in the last game, but feels like they gave up with people complaining about the combat when they just used bows. So now bows are OP as fuck. All the elemental stuff or traps are pretty pointless.

I also never found gear that felt cool like the nano shield suit in the first game. Flying is cool but at the end game when you get it, you probably have access to most campfires to just fast travel around instead.

I still dug game and like the world and lore. It’ll be interesting to see if the zenith tech and 1000 years of knowledge in their database lets them introduce new weapons or gameplay stuff in the series.

Last edited:

Shakka43

One thing I wish they add on the next game or DLC is underwater combat(which iirc they showed some in the reveal trailer).

Represent.

Banned
Aloy needs a Mech in the next game. They need to add mech combat. Game is screaming for it. Mech vs machines.

This could basically be lost planets spiritual successor

Last edited:

pratyush

I have put 50 hours in this game and i am absolutely loving it. I never really had any major bug before latest patch so its basically been a blast to play.

Since Sony hasnt tweeted about sales, so it must be less than Last of Us 2. But as more PS5 is sold and people actually play it, they will see what a bloody brilliant game this is. Gameplay is tight and fun, Story is great and with character face animation, even side story feels like proper main game story. It may not be absolutely top tier, but its pretty close.

Vick

The more i play, the more i feel incredibly sorry for Guerrilla. I'm overwhelmed by how good this game is, it's like they made every single thing they could to get at the very least a 96 Metacritic, looking at games with these kind of scores, put all their talent and hearts to get to it.. and yet won't even get their bonus because of human jokes like Stevivor.

The game scored well, but what i'm playing is shaping up to be the best fucking game i've ever played.

Hope it's at least going to sell a shitton amount of copies.. but Sony's silence is not promising.

Woggleman

The more i play, the more i feel incredibly sorry for Guerrilla. I'm overwhelmed by how good this game is, it's like they made every single thing they could to get at the very least a 96 Metacritic, looking at games with these kind of scores, put all their talent and hearts to get to it.. and yet won't even get their bonus because of human jokes like Stevivor.

The game scored well, but what i'm playing is shaping up to be the best fucking game i've ever played.

Hope it's at least going to sell a shitton amount of copies.. but Sony's silence is not promising.
The first Horizon was overshadowed by BOTW but at the end of the day it still sold 20 million and built up a huge following. I see no reason why this game doesn't follow the same path. It will have good legs like the first game did. The other game is from a Dev that has damn near become a religion to some players so of course it has overshadowed everything else.

Beechos

I'm done with the game, I shelved it. Put about 60 hours into it. Left some errands and some other collectibles. Did most of the side quests. I'm sure there were some I missed, but whatever, I didn't feel like playing anymore. I really enjoyed the game. About as much as Zero Dawn. I think the game was better, but I didn't enjoy it more simply because of my open world game burnout. The gameplay loop of open world games are almost the same in every one and after a while, once you get used to the amazing visuals and epic gameplay after a while, the open world style just started to bore me. I do enjoy the story in these games though, I think it's cool. Recognized Carrie Anne Moss' voice right away, she did a great job. Love Lance Riddick as usual, he's great in everything he's in.

Not sure how they can improve on the game though to make the next one not get boring fast for me. Just better graphics and more epic machines to fight? As long as the gameplay structure of open world games remains the same, this series is going to start to get stale IMO. Not that it's their fault, there's just too many of these games right now.

I have this same feeling. Im a couple hours in. I just got the hang glider and already feel open world fatigue. Game has been great so far. Thought the graphics would blow me away but i guess cross gen strikes again. Im really hoping they added a auto collect skill to loot things with. I still cant get used to the jump/platforming feels like im junping around in a gta game.

Last edited:

DForce

If sales continue to increase whenever new PS5 consoles come in stock, then this game is going to do just fine.

TacoSavage

Neo Member
I have this same feeling. Im a couple hours in. I just got the hang glider and already feel open world fatigue. Game has been great so far. Thought the graphics would blow me away but i guess cross gen strikes again. Im really hoping they added a auto collect skill to loot things with. I still cant get used to the jump/platforming feels like im junping around in a gta game.
you're probably playing on 60fps performance which is a huge downgrade and not how this game was intended to be played, the 30fps fidelity mode is jaw dropping. nothing rivals horizon 2 visuals, ever couple hours my jaw was on the floor and it take a lot to blow me away.

the presentation, the tech and art style is on another level from the rest of the industry, its as good as it gets (story and gameplay and all that aside since that is a different aspect of the game and entirely subjective)

They have this running on PS4 and worked through two years of covid with a huge team, it's no easy feat and for us to just sitting here and argue that ehhh, im fatigued, they could do better.. i mean cmon dude

Last edited:

KungFucius

I really enjoyed the game, but whoever came up with the weapon and armor upgrade scheme is a fucking cunt. It is fucking ridiculous. You need to hunt so many machines to get the parts and they are the same parts you need for the overrides. FFS tone it down. I am fine with the parts you can shoot off, but having those plus the random drops is like shoving gravel up my ass,,, not fun. I beat it with barely upgraded shit because some asshole thought it would be fun to make the player spend hours just to upgrade gear in a game they paid 70 bucks for.

TacoSavage

Neo Member
After almost 70 hours in the world of Horizon 2 I booted up Elden Ring on PS5 and man, the downgrade is real. Literally went back a generation in every aspect. Sony should have released these two games at least a month apart, it truly is a big wtf moment I just dont understand just like Horizon 1 launching near Zelda release and Titanfall 2 between COD and BF.

Souls type games have a huge hardcore following and releasing a multiplatform open world souls game a week apart from Sony's golden goose is just confusing on the marketing side.

Last edited:

Woggleman

I really enjoyed the game, but whoever came up with the weapon and armor upgrade scheme is a fucking cunt. It is fucking ridiculous. You need to hunt so many machines to get the parts and they are the same parts you need for the overrides. FFS tone it down. I am fine with the parts you can shoot off, but having those plus the random drops is like shoving gravel up my ass,,, not fun. I beat it with barely upgraded shit because some asshole thought it would be fun to make the player spend hours just to upgrade gear in a game they paid 70 bucks for.
Just turn on easy loot and things go much quicker.

Beechos

you're probably playing on 60fps performance which is a huge downgrade and not how this game was intended to be played, the 30fps fidelity mode is jaw dropping. nothing rivals horizon 2 visuals, ever couple hours my jaw was on the floor and it take a lot to blow me away.

the presentation, the tech and art style is on another level from the rest of the industry, its as good as it gets (story and gameplay and all that aside since that is a different aspect of the game and entirely subjective)

They have this running on PS4 and worked through two years of covid with a huge team, it's no easy feat and for us to just sitting here and argue that ehhh, im fatigued, they could do better.. i mean cmon dude
Jesus christ the blind defense of all things sony. Did you even read my post. The first thing i said was the game is great. I always play in quality mode but i stand by it i thought the game would blow me away more and i even chalked it up to it being a cross gen game, which in your reply mentioned the same thing. Just because i personally wasnt blown away doesnt mean the graphics are bad or the game. Im sorry if i get a little tired and things get a little redundant like in most open world games if you get sidetracked and start doing all the sidequests. Once again pls the game is great its a 9 out of 10 for me.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

The first Horizon was overshadowed by BOTW but at the end of the day it still sold 20 million and built up a huge following. I see no reason why this game doesn't follow the same path. It will have good legs like the first game did. The other game is from a Dev that has damn near become a religion to some players so of course it has overshadowed everything else.

Yeah it probably got buried by Elden Ring, but this game will be a showcase for ps5 as people are able to actually buy one.

Shakka43

KpXNcug.gif

pLo9El8.png

That Trophy count...

Last edited:

Esca

When do you get the underwater respirator? I want to explore under water more than I can currently.

Also I figured I'd try it elden ring today and I love it as a souls fan but I'm not getting the hype honestly. I wished I played it before horizon simply cause of the graphics. Talking about a giant step backwards after dumping a lot of horse in this game so far, but that art does some heavy lifting

Shakka43

When do you get the underwater respirator? I want to explore under water more than I can currently.

Also I figured I'd try it elden ring today and I love it as a souls fan but I'm not getting the hype honestly. I wished I played it before horizon simply cause of the graphics. Talking about a giant step backwards after dumping a lot of horse in this game so far, but that art does some heavy lifting
Once you go after the
"Poseidon subordinate function"

Last edited:
Just beat the game and the ending visuals are just astonishing

Really enjoyed this a lot more than the first. Story, visuals, mocap, world design were all substantially better

Only cons I had were there’s just too much open world fluff, not enough attention placed on the quality of areas (feels like the open world was mostly empty and not fully utilized). The combat intensity was a little too much. Way too aggressive and a little too much precision needed. Just kind of interrupts the flow. But it’s still incredible stuff from a combat perspective

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Just a yes or no answer please.

I'm guessing the flying mount is gonna be unavailable right till the very end of the game's story ?

I'm 36 hours and still no sign.

Why did they go so friggin hard on the multiple ammo types? Its total overkill. Now I have to have multiple bows equipped just to get all the different ammo types. Couldnt you just craft all the different ammo types for the same bow in the original?

Vick

Guys i'm currently inside:

The first Cauldron with Varl and Zo

How many quests before getting the Diving Mask?

Turned off Adaptive Triggers and Reticle by the way, and goddamn what a difference. Reticle in these games in distracting only, i fucking suck with it, always slowing time and taking an eternity before feeling confident enough to shoot. Without reticle is muscle memory only and rapid fire rate is night and day now. This is me a literal minute after turning it off:

Sure you miss a couple of shots here and there but also shoot X10 faster and somehow more accurately, with this pace with the damn reticle i would have landed a third at best of those shots.

Bow combat went from serviceable (with Adaptive Triggers + Reticle) to God Tier once again.

ebevan91

Why did they go so friggin hard on the multiple ammo types? Its total overkill. Now I have to have multiple bows equipped just to get all the different ammo types. Couldnt you just craft all the different ammo types for the same bow in the original?

I think at one point I had nothing but bows equipped because of all the ammo types. And honestly I might go back to doing that because I never even use tripwires, ropecasters, blastslings, or anything else.

Finally started my playthrough over the weekend (well, Saturday mainly). Some first impressions:

-Even on PS4, this game is visually arresting. Definitely one of the top three best-looking games on the system IMHO; I will prob carry over later-game to PS5 in the future where it'll look even better (as well as 60 FPS)​
-The customization options for accessibility and difficulty are pretty robust and welcomed; I'm playing on Normal difficulty, but the option to scale specific sections up or down depending on preference (or time constraints) is always appreciated​
-Controls feel pretty smooth, though certain movements aren't seemingly explained when I think they could be done earlier (sprinting for example, comes just a couple sections later than it probably should)​
-I hope the dude partnered with Aloy early on becomes a bit more useful later on; right now he's just kinda "there" for exposition but he's not been that useful in the early combat tbh.​
-The platforming and navigation elements are pretty enjoyable; I don't mind the color-coded too much and I know from some footage showing things later in the game it opens up greatly for freer exploration.​
-As someone with zero experience w/ ZD the early part does a good job briefing the main elements of importance from that story.​
-Lance Riddick 👍

I'm very early into the game FWIW; looking to get a decent bit further through the week tho I won't have too much time until the weekend to play (and even then, I'm still finishing up other games so that's time shared). But so far I've been enjoying what's on offer. Gonna try getting acclimated a bit more with the combat controls in particular; I know you can cheese grinding in these type of games to just go beast mode at the touch of a button, but I'd still like to take the time to learn some battle control options more explicitly.

Welp, don't want to spoil myself too much further so I'm outta here!

Represent.

Banned
Guys i'm currently inside:

The first Cauldron with Varl and Zo

How many quests before getting the Diving Mask?

Turned off Adaptive Triggers and Reticle by the way, and goddamn what a difference. Reticle in these games in distracting only, i fucking suck with it, always slowing time and taking an eternity before feeling confident enough to shoot. Without reticle is muscle memory only and rapid fire rate is night and day now. This is me a literal minute after turning it off:

Sure you miss a couple of shots here and there but also shoot X10 faster and somehow more accurately, with this pace with the damn reticle i would have landed a third at best of those shots.

Bow combat went from serviceable (with Adaptive Triggers + Reticle) to God Tier once again.

you get that piece of equipment over halfway through the main story missions. i forget where you are in the game but its a bit over halfway when you get it

Fox Mulder

Glitched how?

It breaks if you start the mission and don’t finish it before the end of the story.

Zo moves from the base to plainsong and the mission keeps pointing to the base where she was standing. Talking to her about the mission in plainsong does nothing as the objectives don’t update. I can even find the land gods myself and nothing happens.

It breaks if you start the mission and don’t finish it before the end of the story.

Zo moves from the base to plainsong and the mission keeps pointing to the base where she was standing. Talking to her about the mission in plainsong does nothing as the objectives don’t update. I can even find the land gods myself and nothing happens.

Oh thats bad. Don't even have an earlier save you can use?

Dr Bass

One thing I wish they add on the next game or DLC is underwater combat(which iirc they showed some in the reveal trailer).
There was no underwater combat shown in any trailer.

The entire State of Play gameplay segment wasn't even in the game.
You are stating this (and made a thread for some reason) but you're implying something that just isn't true (that the state of play doesn't represent the final product). Kinda surprised you're doing this actually. Everything that is in that State of Play is functionally in the game, including the quality of the visuals, just not the story scenario. What is the point of repeating this over and over?

Shouta

Been playing this for the last week and it's been fantastic. They've really improved on pretty much all aspects. I don't recall noticing it as much in HZD but the huge number of quests in all of the areas and stumbling just stumbling upon some as you're running around has been really enjoyable. It gives the setting a lot more life. I also dig the addition of the Utaru and Tenakth which add a lot to the setting. Some of the quests aren't like super exciting but I really like that it's adding to the whole picture.

I think my biggest beef is that the game really needs a customization system, especially in gear, that scales the further you get into the game. That itemization could really help stave off the fatigue of the late game/open world that starts to set in eventually.

Dr Bass

Just got recommended this video on YouTube. I really liked it, and shows the attention to detail in what they made, and also just how great the game looks. Could be considered spoilers in some sense though if you don't want to watch.

Top Bottom