• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West |OT| Red Head Redemption - II -

pratyush

Just have to say.....the music in this game is fantastic.
I love the main theme that plays on intro screen. So beautifully crafted.

Just rolled the credits and my god what a journey it was. Apart from few gameplay issue in close quarters, this game is absolutely fantastic. Beautifully written, gorgeous vistas and a world which you just dont want to leave. I was bit worried when so called critics didnt like the story but i absolutely loved the lore ( although its bit less amazing than original one which is understandable) . Attention to detail is on another level. I hope they sell well and we get a new improved game in few years.

Bragr

There are some fire gleam areas that don't seem to exist? anyone notice this? they are on the map, but not in the world. I have come across 2 so far.

Topher

There are some fire gleam areas that don't seem to exist? anyone notice this? they are on the map, but not in the world. I have come across 2 so far.

I've noticed that the firegleam icon doesn't change after you've ignited it. It is a bit odd since other icons change colors or say complete. But I don't think I've found any that were just not there.

Fox Mulder

I was so hype on this game then I hit...

the get three parts of GAIA. I finished the portion with the arena and there was just more and more tribe politics in front of me

IWithout spoiling too much, is there a whole lot more of the more interesting story line with...

the Far Zenith passengers coming back to kill everyone.

Yes.

Pagusas

Elden Member
And it’s a feature they removed too. When I played this game at midnight on launch day, it was there. Fucking hell
wait what? That doesnt seem right, a rain storm kicked in a little while ago and Aloy was wet and commented it will take awhile to dry off...

mrabott

I do wish we could have found some new weapons and armor with the Zenith. Frozen wilds had some really fun weapons and I wish they could have built on that. That being said I love those spike weapons.
This is what I dislike about Horizon Zero Dawn and now about Forbidden West.
A whole effort to collect the secret armor for the game to simply tear it apart and turn it into another tribal armor.
I wanted a closed armor, I wanted to be a Space Marine in the wild.
And now they've lost their chance with the sequel. They could have given a futuristic armor, write some lines of everyone weirding out Aloy's new look. A weapon equal to that of the Zeniths.
But no, missed opportunity.

Vick

And it’s a feature they removed too. When I played this game at midnight on launch day, it was there. Fucking hell
That's not what happened, because i started the game with 1.06 and Aloy used to get wet in the first area. It's a glitch involving either other armors or something that starts from a certain Quest.

But I definitely reccomend 60fps for the true next gen experience.
This, honestly in love with the Mode and outside of a few cutscenes involving lots of characters where resolution drops drastically for some reason, i literally can't notice any issue during gameplay now. Game looks sublime on my panel, took more than 200 screenshots all during gameplay, probably going to post some of them later on. Geometry, draw distance, textures, foliage and water in this game are absolutely INSANE.

Since i got the Diving Mask, in underwater caves it's a constant and raw claustrophobic feeling i've never felt before. What a fucking game.

Represent.

Banned
That's not what happened, because i started the game with 1.06 and Aloy used to get wet in the first area. It's a glitch involving either other armors or something that starts from a certain Quest.

This, honestly in love with the Mode and outside of a few cutscenes involving lots of characters where resolution drops drastically for some reason, i literally can't notice any issue during gameplay now. Game looks sublime on my panel, took more than 200 screenshots all during gameplay, probably going to post some of them later on. Geometry, draw distance, textures, foliage and water in this game are absolutely INSANE.

Since i got the Diving Mask, in underwater caves it's a constant and raw claustrophobic feeling i've never felt before. What a fucking game.
So does she still get wet in the game where you are now? I dont know how this hasnt been fixed yet. Or why no one even complains about it.

Croga

Finished this the other day and cleaned up the platinum too. Roughly 80 hours to clear everything out.

The fact that this and the original game are the only games I've ever bothered getting the platinum for says it all about how much I enjoyed the series.

Great sequel, hopefully some DLC to look forward to down the line to play it some more.

Vick

So does she still get wet in the game where you are now? I dont know how this hasnt been fixed yet. Or why no one even complains about it.
Nope, stopped noticing the wet shaders after meeting Regalla.

Don't worry though, i saw lots of lots of complaints about this on Reddit so devs are likely aware.

Edit: They definitely are:

"Was the bug where Aloy didn't get water on her face after getting out of the water solved? Thanks for your work"

Guerrilla
"Not in this patch, but the team are aware and are working on it. We should have a fix for this soon!"

Last edited:

Topher

Don't worry though, i saw lots of lots of complaints about this on Reddit so devs are likely aware.

"Was the bug where Aloy didn't get water on her face after getting out of the water solved? Thanks for your work"

Guerrilla
"Not in this patch, but the team are aware and are working on it. We should have a fix for this soon!"

I'm sorry but...

Angry Harrison Ford GIF

This adds/substracts nothing to the game.

Last edited:

Represent.

Banned

Guerrilla
dope. well shit, ill probably be done with the game by then. still good news

Vick

Yeah, not downloading the patch personally. Vegetation in this comparison seems more static now and pop-in more noticeable, and the lack of it is one of my favorite visual aspects of the game.
Yeah well, in the end had to download the patch for the complete HUD-less experience. Vegetations still moves likes crazy in the wind thank God, and actually looks much cleaner. Not sure if placebo or not, but it's more similar in appearance to the hyperrealistic Zero Dawn vegetation now. Have yet to see cutscenes, but if those are improved as well Performance Mode is literally perfect on my panel now.

During download my PS5 turned off by itself and didn't want to turn back on until i unplugged. What the fuck man..

Topher

Well, would be nice to have wet shaders again as they looked great in the first area.

Yeah, not downloading the patch personally. Vegetation in this comparison seems more static now and pop-in more noticeable, and the lack of it is one of my favorite visual aspects of the game.

Apologies for my rude reply.

Vick

Apologies for my rude reply.
No need to at all man. (y)

I spoke too soon by the way, as usual. Shimmering is still present, and i am definitely noticing more pop-in in foliage shadowing. Not the end of the world, but fuck, i knew something like this was going to happen.

Topher

No need to at all man. (y)

I spoke too soon by the way, as usual. Shimmering is still present, and i am definitely noticing more pop-in in foliage shadowing. Not the end of the world, but fuck, i knew something like this was going to happen.

You are very gracious, sir. An admirable trait. I'm loving HFW, but no it isn't perfect.

Vick

I'm trying to submit a ticket to Guerrilla's support, but this damn message happens everytime:

Sorry, there was an error when trying to submit your ticket.

I'm loving HFW, but no it isn't perfect.
I'm having the time of my gaming life at Very Hard + no Reticle + no Adaptive Triggers. Yes it's not perfect maybe, but it's damn close and nothing really is.

With my current pace of slow exploration, basically no fast travel, and not climbing Tall Necks until i manually removed the fog of war from the map, it's going to take me something like 300 hours to finish the game.

Topher

I'm trying to submit a ticket to Guerrilla's support, but this damn message happens everytime:

Sorry, there was an error when trying to submit your ticket.

I'm having the time of my gaming life at Very Hard + no Reticle + no Adaptive Triggers. Yes it's not perfect maybe, but it's damn close and nothing really is.

With my current pace of slow exploration, basically no fast travel, and not climbing Tall Necks until i manually removed the fog of war from the map, it's going to take me something like 300 hours to finish the game.

That's some inspiring game play, my friend. I'm all over the fast travel personally, but I do enjoy exploring quite a bit. I think I've climbed two Tall Necks so far. I am trying to make a point, however, of engaging every single side quest I can. A lot of them are very good. I aim to complete this game with no quests undone. I put 280 hours into AC: Valhalla so I expect over 300 for HFW won't be too hard. And, frankly, this game is so much better that I won't mind it a bit.

5 pages of garbage threads to find the OT again.
I finished Wings of the Ten then also finished mopping up all the rebel side stuff. Lots of camps and outposts.
They absolutely ruined what should have been a 'high' point in the game with the most PG rated downer story beat in this main mission.
Varl is the new Ross.
What a downer story beat right before you finally get a flying mount.
Cant enjoy it in any way shape or form while I'm mad they killed off a character.

Corndog

yeah, this is not a problem exclusive to HFW. That's why I said it's a problem with open world games in general. 90% of all open world games are basically fetch quests. And thats because designing story missions and setpieces takes far longer so by neccessity these quests have to be barebones.

And yes, in terms of production values, HFW stands in a league of its own. They animated, mocap and shot probably 50 hours of dialogue trees which is insane to me. And uncessary. id rather those resources were put elsewhere. The game took 5 years to make, spans two generations of consoles, and feels like an iterative sequel. Perhaps good enough for Ubisoft games, but I hold Sony studios to a higher standard. It's why I am a Sony fan, not a Ubisoft fanboy like that one dude over at era. lol
Not better then rdr2. So it’s not in a league of its own. Rdr2 is.

Finally finished the game. Awesome as expected but still has areas of improvement. Some things I disliked:
  • No lock on is fine when you are fighting ground based machines but the freaking Stormbird and its frequent dive attacks made me wish there was lock on to keep it in focus.
  • Some Cauldrons spoiled two machines by name and looks which I hadn't even encountered yet including the big bad one you fight in Gemini. I was disappointed by that. They should have prevented that from happening by checking if players have come across the machine or not.
  • Climbing and puzzle solving felt more like a time extenders after a while. Same get the crate for climbing high, use pullcaster to create way, find the door code by scanning stuff etc.. It was okay or tolerable for the first 10 or so times but by the time you reach the end it becomes too boring.
  • Melee combat still has a long way to go to feel good.
Now on to completing the side stuff and getting the platinum. Very interested to see what they have in plans for the next one.

Finally finished the game. Awesome as expected but still has areas of improvement. Some things I disliked:
  • No lock on is fine when you are fighting ground based machines but the freaking Stormbird and its frequent dive attacks made me wish there was lock on to keep it in focus.
  • Some Cauldrons spoiled two machines by name and looks which I hadn't even encountered yet including the big bad one you fight in Gemini. I was disappointed by that. They should have prevented that from happening by checking if players have come across the machine or not.
  • Climbing and puzzle solving felt more like a time extenders after a while. Same get the crate for climbing high, use pullcaster to create way, find the door code by scanning stuff etc.. It was okay or tolerable for the first 10 or so times but by the time you reach the end it becomes too boring.
  • Melee combat still has a long way to go to feel good.
Now on to completing the side stuff and getting the platinum. Very interested to see what they have in plans for the next one.

I think they will probably improve on a lot of stuff in whatever they have planned for the DLC like they did with Frozen Wilds

Shouta

Finished the game. I loved it. New weapons were awesome and I really liked the addition of Valor Surges and Weapon Skills. It definitely added a lot of variety to the game. I ended up basically maining Javelins because they're almost too powerful after awhile, particularly when you get the drill and advanced blast ones. Weapon skill variety could have been distributed a bit better though. I'd definitely like to see more customization and better itemization though just to keep the hunt for loot in the world more refreshing. There's so much but it's just adding materials to craft ammo at some point.

I really enjoyed the characters and story. It was a good, natural extension of what HZD left for us, They did a great job of expanding the world with more tribes and also fleshing them out in the story as well. Seeing how different each culture was and how they developed differently depending on their interaction with technology was interesting. They also really sprinkled all kinds of quests in the world so despite being so huge, it felt lived in. My only beefs on this front is that the side characters could have been a little more interesting in spots. There's some good ones but most have general tribe issues so it kinds of blends together. I also kind of wanted more from the villains in the story. I was fine with what we got but I definitely think they could have done more with them on the whole.

But yeah, fantastic game. Still lots of room for improvement but looking forward to DLC or what they'll plan for the third game lol

I have finished the game and still have exactly one locked override in the fabrication menu. Is it a bug or I really do have one missing. Don't spoil it if it really is and I will explore to find it.

Vick

Close to 100 hours and still have half the map covered in fog. This fucking game keeps getting better and better.

Hats off to Guerrilla, best Sony studio right now imo.

SlimySnake

The Contrarian
Not better then rdr2. So it’s not in a league of its own. Rdr2 is.
Funny you mention rdr2 because i just started playing rdr2 on pc and was able to run it at max settings. It did not look as good as i remembered it running on my x1x 4 years ago. I immediately switched to native 4k to see if it made a difference and nope. Still didn’t look as good as horizon fw.

I even downloaded a 100% save file and traveled to different areas to see if other areas looked better but horizon in the native 4k mode simply looks better. The foliage is way better and more detailed. The lighting is better. The trees look way better. Character models aren’t even close. I was frankly surprised to see such a wide gulf.

P.S rdr2 is still my game of the gen, but visually it has been surpassed.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

I’m right at the end of this game. Should finish tomorrow I think. Visually, the game is fantastic, but my impressions on the gameplay and story did drop pretty significantly over the course of the experience. I feel like there is a lack of focus, and not a lot of interesting things to actually do in the world. Not sure I’ll post in depth thoughts after I’m done because I worry it would come across as raining on the parade.

But I will say again the graphics are incredible. Fantastic artistry and craftsmanship. Stunning landscapes. I just don’t think any other aspects of the game reach the same standard.

Vick

Fuck Shellsnappers at Very Hard + no Reticle. Fuck them. Damn contract took me half an hour and pissed me off to no end. Worst enemy ever. Wish i could smash it with a hammer right now.

I've spent close to an hour trying to climb and jump on this damn drone. I can't do it. I've jumped several times through the drone be she's not grabbing on to it.
I've seen videos of other people doing it. I know I'm in the right spot but damn if she will grab on. I might be glitched or I'm really just one pixel off from grabbing it.

ebevan91

I've spent close to an hour trying to climb and jump on this damn drone. I can't do it. I've jumped several times through the drone be she's not grabbing on to it.
I've seen videos of other people doing it. I know I'm in the right spot but damn if she will grab on. I might be glitched or I'm really just one pixel off from grabbing it.

It took me a long time to get one of them. And what sucked was that it was one that took forever to climb back up to.

NewYork214

I absolutely loved this game. Haven't got sucked into a game like this since ghost of tsushima. Got the platinum like 3 days ago. Took me 70 hours. But I hunted like crazy for parts to upgrade weapons and gear. Probably more love 60-65 hours for my plat

SpokkX

I just completed and loved Elden Ring (Dark Souls 4)

So i decided to get this

After 4 hours my impressions are

Wtf is this?? That damn constant talking and pointless cutscenes limiting the interaction. And that uncharted climbing again…and i am just following a yellow icon like and idiot - and Aloy kees f**king reminding me what I ”should do”

I have not played such a bad intro since Zelda Twilight princess..

Please tell me it gets better?!

rofif

I just completed and loved Elden Ring (Dark Souls 4)

So i decided to get this

After 4 hours my impressions are

Wtf is this?? That damn constant talking and pointless cutscenes limiting the interaction. And that uncharted climbing again…and i am just following a yellow icon like and idiot - and Aloy kees f**king reminding me what I ”should do”

I have not played such a bad intro since Zelda Twilight princess..

Please tell me it gets better?!
They never stop talking.
In fact, you unlock a place for talking.
And then bring some sjw people there who talk a lot....

And in-between all that talking, you shoot robots. Precisely in tiny spots to deal crit damage. And every robot you scan is "new species" and that takes 5 seconds to show it's weakness. In this time you get roll catched and bounced around.

Ok I am too harsh. I finished the game but it was very tedious by the end.
I would advise to GO WITH MAIN STORY first. You unlock some stuff. Doing side stuff after main story will be more fun if you will still want to play the game.
But the game requires you to do a lot of side stuff not to stay underleveled for min story missions

Last edited:

Dr Bass

They never stop talking.

And in-between all that talking, you shoot robots. Precisely in tiny spots to deal crit damage. And every robot you scan is "new species" and that takes 5 seconds to show it's weakness. In this time you get roll catched and bounced around.

I would advise to GO WITH MAIN STORY first. You unlock some stuff. Doing side stuff after main story will be more fun if you will still want to play the game.
But the game requires you to do a lot of side stuff not to stay underleveled for min story missions
I kinda don’t think you’re too harsh.

SpokkX

They never stop talking.

Haha a place specifically for talking with these utterly boring characters? Great…

I actually looked for a setting to disable Aloys constant commentary and ”tips” (”i should try scanning”). Makes her sound like an idiot AND treat the player like an idiot at the same time

Last edited:

Vick

Well, the game is dedicated to those involved with lore and characters, reason why i'm having a fucking blast.

Jumping right in it with no idea of what's going on, with no patience whatsoever not even in the tutorial section (which could last up to 10 hours) nor interest.. at this point just skip the thing entirely. You could have fun in the immense free-roam i guess, but the best stuff is unlocked later on and the game still requires dedication, especially at Very Hard.

For someone who just finished Elden Ring, playing at Very Hard and disabling Adaptive Triggers + Reticle should be mandatory.

Also SJW characters? I have only encountered two out of literally hundreds, confined into a single and completely optional errand mission never to be seen again. Lowest point of the game, but even that single quest is not worse than what you find nowdays in any other game on the market with the exception of some Jap titles.

Reading complaints like this after actually playing it, like Aloy talks too much, too much optional dialogue, made me truly understand games like this are not made for everyone. To me however, this whole package is close to perfection.
The thing couldn't really work as good as it does in any other way.

Woggleman

If you are not into story driven games this is not the game for you. The gameplay is great to me but investment in the story is part of the package.

Also no offense but in no way is this game woke or SJW. It seems that people just reflectively shout out that word at anything the same way people on the other side shout our problematic.

Top Bottom