• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Thread 3: Indie Jones and the Template of Doom

udkultimate

Fursan al-Aqsa® Demo Update - Not Very Hard Mode

(the steam version will auto update)

https://nidal-nijm-games.itch.io/fursan-al-aqsa-knights-of-al-aqsa-mosque (you need to manually click on check game updates using the itch.io app)

The Consoles versions (PS3/XBOX360) and the PC Standalone version were also updated. These can be downloaded from here:

updated_steam_demo.jpg

After listening to many players feedbacks, I realized that not every player nowadays are hardcore players, that the world itself changed a lot in the last 20 years, and also did the gaming world.

We live in a very different times since the days of Goldeneye 007 for the N64, the biggest inspiration for Fursan al-Aqsa. While people back then could take months to beat the game because they were usually stuck with the game until the next time their parents buy them another game, the mass availability of games of all prices on digital storefronts nowadays means that people can just play a different game if something is too hard. In other words, people will also get bored easily if the game is too hard as well, especially if they have plenty of other games waiting for them.

updated_steam_demo_2.jpg

So for this reason I did balance much better the difficulty of the game now. It is easier, but still challenging without being frustrating. I hope to reach now also the casual players who want to try something different, an action game which anyone can enjoy, not only hardcore players.

Here follows the list of changes, which were also added to full game:

1- I improved the post process effect, increasing the image contrast and brightness a bit, so players can see better important gameplay objects, like the security cameras, healthpacks and other pickups;

2- I added a small delay for the enemy soldiers, so it takes some seconds for them to shoot at the player after they spot him;

3- Now the Health Packs restore 25HP of health instead of 15HP;

4- Now each Headshot gives the player 10HP of health;

5- On each mission the player will have a Body Armor to pickup, and it is placed always close to the player entry point of each mission;

6- I reduced a lot the opacity of the on-screen blood whenever the player is injured, so it does not distract the player anymore;

7- Now to perform the knife kills is a bit easier, but you still need to get close enough to the enemy;

8- I made the security cameras range less unfair to the players, specially that one close to the corridor under stairs;

updated_steam_demo_3.jpg

Now I am sure the game is much more enjoyable, without losing it's challenging aspect, but at the same time without being unfair for the players, neither frustrating.

I hope you enjoy it, Insha Allah.

Assalamu Alaykum - May the peace be with you.

P.S: My game was featured on one of the biggest gaming portals of Japan!!!

Here is the second game from my experimental series. It is just a small story-based game (walking simulator), nothing much. The trailer does not show anything more than the story intro. It will be released soon on android.

udkultimate

Fursan al-Aqsa® - Steam Next Fest and other updates

SocialMediaPartnerShare1_loc_fursanaqsa.png

Hello friends. Some GREAT news here.

#FursanAqsaGame will be on #STEAM #nextFest. I will do a demo walkthrough on live, friday.

EventCover_Livestream_loc.png

On sunday I will challenge you to play against me, an epic online split screen multiplayer match via remote play.

EventCover_RemotePlay_loc.png

Everyone is welcome!

Today, one of the biggest news portal from middle-east, Jerusalem Post, wrote an amazing article about my game:

This is simply AMAZING! I have a strong feeling that this game will be a big hit on STEAM, as soon as I release it.

New Campaign Mission - Map Showcase

This is a Military Camp established in the Israel-Lebanon border region, known as South Lebanon Security Belt. This camp is used as a warehouse to store and distribute weapons and warfare supplies to IDF Forces acros all the Occupied Lands in Palestine. Your mission is to infiltrate this camp, destroy all their warfare supplies, eliminate all enemies and kidnapp an AV-8B Harrier to escape.

Fursan_al-Aqsa_-_Showcase_South_Lebanon_1.png

Fursan_al-Aqsa_-_Showcase_South_Lebanon_2.png

Fursan_al-Aqsa_-_Showcase_South_Lebanon_4.png

Fursan_al-Aqsa_-_Showcase_South_Lebanon_5.png

Fursan_al-Aqsa_-_Showcase_South_Lebanon_8.png

Fursan_al-Aqsa_-_Showcase_South_Lebanon_10.png

Fursan_al-Aqsa_-_Showcase_South_Lebanon_15.png

#gamedev #game #indiedev #indiegame #indiegamedev #UE4 #UE3 #UnrealEngine

LimanimaPT

I was thinking about posting some screen shots of my game but after scrolling thru this thread and seeing other people games I think it's better not. I'm far away from the quality standard. I guess I will have to work a bit more..

udkultimate

I was thinking about posting some screen shots of my game but after scrolling thru this thread and seeing other people games I think it's better not. I'm far away from the quality standard. I guess I will have to work a bit more..
No bro, post anyway, everyone of us began from zero as well. Never underestimate your own work. The earlier you show is better to get feedback. Good luck on your project.

LimanimaPT

No bro, post anyway, everyone of us began from zero as well. Never underestimate your own work. The earlier you show is better to get feedback. Good luck on your project.
I started only 2 months ago I still have a long way to go. I'm using Unreal Engine 5 ( I've never used UE before).
I'm building a prototype but I still don't know what the game will be about, I just know it will be a 3D platformer. Maybe in a few weeks I'll post something.

NahaNago

I still haven't actually played episode one after I bought it on steam. I'll try it out later today since I'm off today and tomorrow.

NahaNago

Awesome! I hope you'll like it 😉
that tank battle is messed up since you need a bunch of mp. I'm going to take a break since it defeated me twice already( here I am taking a break from dying twice but I just died like a dozen times playing bloodborne yesterday :messenger_grinning_sweat: ). I do like this modern ps1 style jrpg. I really wanted the ps4 digimon world's world to have a similar style but a more dense world of junk. Playing it on keyboard is a pain but I should have bought it on console or had a controller hooked up to my pc. I'm loving the typical style anime romance jokes with the dense male lead.

also the general lady seems silver hair in the pict but when she first comes out she looks blonde but I'm not sure if that is from the lighting behind her.

I'm going to start up tales of arise. I had bought that shin megami 5 game, the yakuza rpg, and the tales game at gamestop since they had that buy 2 games and get one free thing going on and that shin megami game makes it feel like I've barely even started after playing it for several hours.

I feel I was too negative in my response. I really do like what I've played . I enjoyed exploring the world that was created and found it adorable quite often.

Last edited:

neko.works

that tank battle is messed up since you need a bunch of mp. I'm going to take a break since it defeated me twice already( here I am taking a break from dying twice but I just died like a dozen times playing bloodborne yesterday :messenger_grinning_sweat: ). I do like this modern ps1 style jrpg. I really wanted the ps4 digimon world's world to have a similar style but a more dense world of junk. Playing it on keyboard is a pain but I should have bought it on console or had a controller hooked up to my pc. I'm loving the typical style anime romance jokes with the dense male lead.

also the general lady seems silver hair in the pict but when she first comes out she looks blonde but I'm not sure if that is from the lighting behind her.

I'm going to start up tales of arise. I had bought that shin megami 5 game, the yakuza rpg, and the tales game at gamestop since they had that buy 2 games and get one free thing going on and that shin megami game makes it feel like I've barely even started after playing it for several hours.

I feel I was too negative in my response. I really do like what I've played . I enjoyed exploring the world that was created and found it adorable quite often.

Thanks for playing 😊

That tank battle is the hardest battle in Episode 1. You should prepare for it - leveling up a bit in the Warehouse, buying healing items, setup your equipment and orbs - knowing its elemental weakness etc.

For the general it's just the lighting - most light sources are yellow in Lowercity.

Happy that you liked it 😉

NahaNago

Thanks for playing 😊

That tank battle is the hardest battle in Episode 1. You should prepare for it - leveling up a bit in the Warehouse, buying healing items, setup your equipment and orbs - knowing its elemental weakness etc.

For the general it's just the lighting - most light sources are yellow in Lowercity.

Happy that you liked it 😉
yeah, I kinda figured that I needed to go back and stock up on healing items and maybe level up a bit. I was just kinda shocked at how powerful he was. I don't mind upgrading my levels a bit since I like grinding on my enemies until I become overpowered and then move on.

udkultimate

Fursan al-Aqsa is on Steam Game Awards + WIP

Allah Akbar! Fursan al-Aqsa Game was elected to participate on the STEAM AWARDS 2021.

To vote go here:

And click on the button 'Nominate this game for an award'.

Steam_Awards_Social_Share_Template_Labor_of_love.png

Fursan al-Aqsa is stronger than ever and I made a lot of improvements now in November, in this time I was offline, and I will keep offline, but just for the eye candy I am publishing now some new screenshots to keep your hype.

This is a brand new campaign mission, Camp Shizafon - School for Armored Corps. This Mission will be frenetic, and the player will drive a Merkava Tank to fight against other tanks and helicopters.

This is the real Shizafon Base:

This is my version:

Shizafon_New_1.png

Shizafon_New_2.png

Shizafon_New_3.png

Shizafon_New_4.png

Shizafon_New_5.png

Shizafon_New_6.png

Shizafon_New_7.png

Shizafon_New_8.png

Shizafon_New_9.png

Shizafon_New_10.png

Shizafon_New_11.png

Shizafon_New_12.png

This is the map running on my PS3HEN:

DSC_0042.JPG

DSC_0043.JPG

DSC_0044.JPG

DSC_0045.JPG

And this is a very cool feature I was working on, and now it is done. I made an external game launcher with a complete settings menu which allows to configure the game and even rebind some keys, something many players asked for it.

launcher_1.png

launcher_2.png

udkultimate

Because intelligence in times of war means attacking your enemies with their own weapons.

This is a driveable Merkava Mark IV Tank the player will use in Mission 7 of Fursan al-Aqsa, the attack at Shizafon Army Corps Base.

FFpW_cVWYAA5caW.jpg

FFpXdYSWQAgKD9c.jpg

FFpZl4bXIAA13cH.jpg

FFpaGtaXIAwR_OM.jpg

Please, vote for Fursan al-Aqsa on the IndieDB Indie of the Year 2021 Competition!

fursan_aqsa_goty_2021_final.png

udkultimate

Fursan al-Aqsa Teaser Trailer - Light the Fire

This is a teaser trailer for a brand new mission I just finished for Fursan al-Aqsa: The Knights of the Al-Aqsa Mosque® Campaign.

Fursan al-Aqsa meets Mortal Kombat

Ahmad al-Falastini Wins, Flawless Victory, Double Fatality!

Toasty!!!

This is a teaser trailer for a brand new mission I just finished for Fursan al-Aqsa: The Knights of the Al-Aqsa Mosque® Campaign. This map is based on Shizafon Armored Corps Base, an Israeli Training Base located in the middle of the Negev Desert, in Southern Palestine Region. This base is mainly used as a Training Field for Vehicles Operations, which include military exercises with Merkava Tanks and Apache Helicopters. Your main mission will be to infiltrate in this base, hijack a Tank Prototype and use it destroy the entire base with all it's soldiers and military vehicles.

I hope you enjoy this new trailer, specially the Intro Cutscene, which I think it is trully insane, freaking cool and gruesome, in the best Mortal Kombat style. By the way, I had to reduce my game's resolution to be able to capture this gameplay at a reasonable framerate, 20-25 fps, however, the game, as you have seen in the demo, runs smoothly at high framerates, up to 500 fps.

Here follows some Behind the Scenes work:

FF4iyOmXIAcWjvV.jpg

FF4iq45X0AQpcmj.jpg

FGIi36XXEAEL-lI.jpg

FGIh524WUAUKyLz.jpg

FGIhuJEXMAEp_dn.jpg

FGIhVIHXEAYxbsN.jpg

1639099472537.png

1639099405004.png

1639099374393.png

Other great achievement for my game, is that for the third consecutive year, Fursan al-Aqsa was named in the Top 100 Indie Games on the IndieDB Indie of the Year Awards Competition!

Thank you all for this support! But you can still vote for the 2nd phase of this competition, to select the TOP 10 Indie Games of 2021:

Go to Upcoming Games - Third Person Shooter and vote on my game, please, as this helps my game to earn more visibility, which is essential now in this last phase, prior to release!

fursan_aqsa_goty_2021_final.png

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Man, I was considering migrating to other engine since I was not much progress in cry engine, so i decided to try stride engine. The demo performance alone was so poor that I ultimately decided against.
Have anyone tried flax engine?

udkultimate

I am happy to say this is the early access trailer for the game. Also, links for the steam/itch store are in the description. Any feedback is appreciated.

Your game looks like a very fun retro 8bits rpg game, congratulations. However, the game trailer simply looks amazing, especially the soundtrack.

udkultimate

This is the most INSANE action game trailer of all times!!!

Turn off the lights, grab the popcorn and enjoy the most INSANE action game trailer of all times!!!

Fursan al Aqsa - Mission 8 Teaser: "We are coming to free you, oh Palestine"

This is a teaser trailer for Mission 8, which I just finished for Fursan al-Aqsa: The Knights of the Al-Aqsa Mosque® Campaign. This map is based on INS Lavah Warship, one of the most important Warships of the Israeli Navy.

mission_briefing_8_final.png

Your main mission will be to infiltrate in this ship, eliminate all enemies, assassinate the Israel Navy Chief, plant bombs to blow up this warship making it sink to the bottom of the sea.

shark_3.png

I hope you enjoy this new trailer, specially the Cutscenes, which I think are trully insane, freaking cool and gruesome, in the best Mortal Kombat style.

----------------------------------------------

Fursan al-Aqsa Mission 8 Map Showcase

Now our hero, Ahmad al-Falastini, the 'Arabic James Bond', needs to infiltrate INS Lahav, one of the biggest Military Ships of #Israel Navy, eliminate all Zionists, plant bombs and make this ship sink to the bottom of the sea.

Ship_Mission_1.png

Ship_Mission_2.png

Ship_Mission_3.png

Ship_Mission_4.png

Ship_Mission_5.png

Ship_Mission_6.png

Ship_Mission_7.png

Ship_Mission_8.png

Ship_Mission_9.png

Ship_Mission_10.png

Ship_Mission_11.png

Ship_Mission_12.png

Ship_Mission_13.png

Ship_Mission_14.png

Ship_Mission_15.png

Ship_Mission_16.png

Ship_Mission_17.png

Ship_Mission_18.png

Ship_Mission_19.png

Ship_Mission_20.png

Kataploom

Hey guys, I just uploaded this little project in Itch.io made in Unity, it was just a practice but I took it as serious as if I was working on a real game:
https://datfellow.itch.io/farino-the-marino

It's a clone of Super Mario first level, I tried replicating every single feature like pipes, powerups, etc. But left lifes and piranha plants out... I made them, but are not included in the playable demo because I didn't remember they were not in the first level lol.

It's done to the point I can make all Super Mario game with little effort since everything is basically or already done, but won't because I'm already on another project. All graphics and programming were done by myself, except music (taken from SoundClound, credits on game page). Any comments will be appretiated :)

P.S.: Don't we have a Discord server for indie development? I'd love to since I don't know anyone to talk about it so I'm always alone on my stuff

SMB-W1-1-5-03-2022-11-28-05-a-m.png

Last edited:

Kataploom

I just posted a Unity practice for a Super Mario clone, just do it ;)

JeffG

Probably post-processing IMO, since it's in all the screen, seems like something coming from the camera itself
I bought a new laptop, so this is a new install (with a higher version of Unity). I need to check the version of HDRP. I have seen where if you run with older config settings HDRP doesn't behave correctly. Lots of small dumb stuff to check...but I did move from a 1050ti to a 3060 so its all worth it. lol

Kataploom

I bought a new laptop, so this is a new install (with a higher version of Unity). I need to check the version of HDRP. I have seen where if you run with older config settings HDRP doesn't behave correctly. Lots of small dumb stuff to check...but I did move from a 1050ti to a 3060 so its all worth it. lol
Damn that's cool, I'm currently avoiding HDRP and URP but I'll probably be on them soon enough, I started working on 3D action/adventure excersize and I want to try good graphics even if I'm just planning a single temple/level.

BTW does anyone have a good guide for hierarchical finite states machine? I've done my FSM system which I'm pretty happy with, but now that I'm about to make the combat, I think the hierarchical approach is much better

JeffG

Damn that's cool, I'm currently avoiding HDRP and URP but I'll probably be on them soon enough, I started working on 3D action/adventure excersize and I want to try good graphics even if I'm just planning a single temple/level.

BTW does anyone have a good guide for hierarchical finite states machine? I've done my FSM system which I'm pretty happy with, but now that I'm about to make the combat, I think the hierarchical approach is much better
Dumb is as dumb does, it turned out to be a rogue ui element. The default gray square almost transparent.

new visuals

Kataploom

Dumb is as dumb does, it turned out to be a rogue ui element. The default gray square almost transparent.

new visuals

Those look much better, that's probably similar to what I'll do, tho I want anime style, more my thing... Gonna try to match Xenoblade 2 characters models quality (I doubt I can lol)

JeffG

Those look much better, that's probably similar to what I'll do, tho I want anime style, more my thing... Gonna try to match Xenoblade 2 characters models quality (I doubt I can lol)
I use UMA for my characters. WillB did create a cartoon UMA character. I sometimes think about trying it, just to see what it would look like. (I bought it and converted it to HDRP) I do have the most generic looking RPG, but I am actually ok with that. lol

Kataploom

So... Is the game released?
I just published a SMB clone for practice some posts above, and started another project, a 3D action/adventure small thing that I'll be working on this year, maybe a dungeon ala Zelda and that's it.

if I like it enough and people wants me to, I'll probably make a game out of it, but I'll like try and make something small, the only way to have a constant release schedule and experience I think :)

JeffG

Screenshot Saturday

Fixed a bug in the AI so that it will animate its hit reaction for each time it got hit. (Previously...either only showed 1 hit reaction or the AI got stuck in an idle state)

Top Bottom