• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC) Vol. 2

thespot84

Baking Bad™

lyY9YQa.jpg

mV1FM4F.jpg

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
You know, for a peasant meal, shepard's pie is way too much work. Seriously, it took me hours to get it done and I think I do it the lazy way too.

But it's everyone's favorite.

What?

This is like an hour.

I tend to make the meat and gravy simmer for longer but peeling the potatoes is the most time consuming part. Technically you don't even have to bake it. You can broil and serve.

Stumbled upon binging with babish, saw his/Chef's version of pasta aglio e olio and, since it's a dish that pops loves, gave it a shot.

Yknow, the only difference from wot we do is that he adds minced parsley and a huge squeeze of lemon juice... and yet that utterly changed the dish for the better to the point where going back to the standard "Just Oil and Garlic" recipe seems absurd. Really is the small things.

Decent channel tho. Almost as good as chef john's.
Baking Bad™

ahhh the memories. Everybody makes that mistake at least once.

(and every once in a while when you get a new mixer and misjudge the thing's strength)

zbarron

lol thanks. I was trying to switch the lock on and turned the speed to max in one fell swoop.
The worst part is losing some of the dry ingredient mix and not having enough extra to do a fresh batch so you have to estimate how much flour, salt, baking soda etc. to add back in.

thespot84

The worst part is losing some of the dry ingredient mix and not having enough extra to do a fresh batch so you have to estimate how much flour, salt, baking soda etc. to add back in.

Yeah thankfully this is for bread, I'd already done the leaven and that was the dough, just used 700g water instead of 900g to get to consistancy...

Making Chef Johns Strawberry Shortcakes

cJ0tQ4u.jpg

Cakes are done, and damn do they look golden brown delicious.

Just made the whipped topping, and got the berries macerating in the fridge.

snacknuts

we all knew her
All these baking posts make me happy even though I don't do much of it myself. I recently considered starting an OT for baking, but I doubt that is necessary.

Went back to one of our favorite local places, The Rocky Hill inn to taste some of their new Spring/Summer menu items.

1GTxgVR.jpg

8THyNtY.jpg

TOPoVN5.jpg

They added a new pretzel bread board with andouille sausage, beer infused mustard, pimento cheese, and pickled onions.

We also shared the chicken and waffles that were cheddar bacon waffles served with a maple dijon syrup.

For dessert bread pudding with cranberries, apples, walnuts, crème anglaise.

All of it was super delicious!

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Tonight I'll watch the ESC, eat donut holes from dunkin donuts, bacon jalapeno popper puffs, BLT, grilled Cheese, and will drink so much guinness that I'll float away.

anyone else celebrating the ESC with food? if so, what do you cook?

Milchjon

For some reason I fucking adore all those YouTube videos of Marco Pierre White selling out for stock cubes/pots, doing super simple dishes and acting all serious.

It's pretty hilarious.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Aldi had an acacia cutting board for sale for 7.99€..
I got the last one they had

I'll probably remove the leather strap and it's dumb that it does not have a juice canal. but I'm short on money so this is nevertheless a good solution for me.

and for Lunch I allowed myself to cheat.
grilled cheese with cheddar, fries with cayenne pepper

Aldi had an acacia cutting board for sale for 7.99€..
I got the last one they had

I'll probably remove the leather strap and it's dumb that it does not have a juice canal. but I'm short on money so this is nevertheless a good solution for me.

and for Lunch I allowed myself to cheat.

grilled cheese with cheddar, fries with cayenne pepper
Haha. Just went out to eat and had a grilled cheese with Cheddar. Tasted amazing, although a little salty. Side of greens instead of fries.

Nice find on the board. Looks like a good size too.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
7AM, I just turned on the oven and I'll make my own clotted cream. 12 hours at 70-80 celsius. somethin around 175fahrenheit?

Let's wait and see..

karasu

I've got kind of a weird food question. Watching a lot of Japanese tv shows, I see lots of bowls of white rice. But is it plain ass white rice or do they typically season it with something cool over there?

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I've got kind of a weird food question. Watching a lot of Japanese tv shows, I see lots of bowls of white rice. But is it plain ass white rice or do they typically season it with something cool over there?

if it is just plain rice, than it is just that. plain. they usually don't add salt or anything else while cooking it.
of course there are exceptions from the rule like furikake. but all in all if you see plain rice in a bowl, there is nothing added to it.

karasu

if it is just plain rice, than it is just that. plain. they usually don't add salt or anything else while cooking it.
of course there are exceptions from the rule like furikake. but all in all if you see plain rice in a bowl, there is nothing added to it.

wow. I think I'm gonna try to get used to that haha. Thanks, man.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
wow. I think I'm gonna try to get used to that haha. Thanks, man.

japanese rice is quite complicated actually. there is not only koshihikari, there are different kinds and all taste a little different.
If you want something with more taste, you could try https://www.japancentre.com/en/products/3274-yumenishiki-brown-rice
or you buy akitakomachi
https://www.japancentre.com/en/products/2265-shinmei-akafuji-akitakomachi-rice also pretty nice.
my favourite koshihikari is this one:
https://www.japancentre.com/en/products/3995-shinmei-koshihikari-rice-toyama expensive, but delicious.

I realise..I waisted a lot of time with rice in my life.

zbarron

Does anyone know how cold ice cream is? My javelin instant thermometer is taking a lot longer than it used to and now I'm worried about it's accuracy. I got a reading of 4 degrees Fahrenheit. Does that sound right? Does anyone know or mind sticking their instant read thermometer in their ice cream? Odd request I know.

thespot84

Does anyone know how cold ice cream is? My javelin instant thermometer is taking a lot longer than it used to and now I'm worried about it's accuracy. I got a reading of 4 degrees Fahrenheit. Does that sound right? Does anyone know or mind sticking their instant read thermometer in their ice cream? Odd request I know.

B0zBsBX.jpg

My parents got a new induction over.stove and can't use many of thier old pans on it.

So, they gave me the egg poacher.

Dear lord, I love this thing.

18402811_10208438536347027_4070422552367485690_n.jpg

thespot84

For example though if you have ice cubes in your freezer even if it's set to 0 the ice will never get lower than 32. It's the other ingredients that mess with it.

That's a misconception, there's nothing preventing ice from getting colder than 32F, just as steam can be much hotter than 212F. Freezing temp just represents the phase change, but even in ice crystal form there is still energy within the ice. Providing a colder environment can continue to extract energy leading to a colder temperature. The only hard limit is absolute zero:

https://van.physics.illinois.edu/qa/listing.php?id=1799

zbarron

My parents got a new induction over.stove and can't use many of thier old pans on it.

Glad you like it, but just so you know they do make these which lets any pan work. It's still best to just get compatable pans

That's a misconception, there's nothing preventing ice from getting colder than 32F, just as steam can be much hotter than 212F. Freezing temp just represents the phase change, but even in ice crystal form there is still energy within the ice. Providing a colder environment can continue to extract energy leading to a colder temperature. The only hard limit is absolute zero:

https://van.physics.illinois.edu/qa/listing.php?id=1799
Oh cool. Didn't know that. Thanks.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow

Heh, at least yours appears to have non-stick cups. My parents have one that's entirely made from tin and they've been using it since the '50s. Gotta have a fair bit of butter or bacon grease in the cups or those eggs are never coming out!

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
My clotted cream turned out gorgeous!!
I'm so happy. Yesterday was the hottest day this month in germany, we even had warmer weather than barcelona.

So having turned on the oven 12 hours on 90 degrees was killing me. but it was all worth it.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I don't remember who posted it, but a couple weeks ago someone on here mentioned using a bench scraper as a core part of their cooking workstation. I had never owned a bench scraper before a couple months ago, and I only got it for working with dough, but I used it for dinner prep last night and now I feel like an idiot for not thinking to use it before. So much easier to scoop stuff up off my cutting board when I'm done with it.

My clotted cream turned out gorgeous!!
I'm so happy. Yesterday was the hottest day this month in germany, we even had warmer weather than barcelona.

So having turned on the oven 12 hours on 90 degrees was killing me. but it was all worth it.

I've never had clotted cream and I don't know what it is, but I'm delighted that it turned out well.

zbarron

I actually watched that recipe after reading you all disuss it. I've never had clotted cream before. Initially I thought the brown top would be skimmed off. Does it taste good? Also how much clotted cream did you get, and how much did you start with? 2 pints?

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I actually watched that recipe after reading you all disuss it. I've never had clotted cream before. Initially I thought the brown top would be skimmed off. Does it taste good? Also how much clotted cream did you get, and how much did you start with? 2 pints?

I used 500ml of cream, in the end around 270ml of fluid were left, we used it to make scones. everything else turned into delicious clotted cream.
clotted creams taste is hard to describe. slightly nutty and heavenly..very rich.

Top Bottom