• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC) Vol. 2

NEO0MJ

So, can anyone give me a good and easy recipe for cooking white fish, mainly grouper? I was considering making fried fish burrito with it but I'm not sure if that's the best way.

Made some bao from scratch the other day because I was possessed or something.

5LayNRb.jpg

Mmmmm...sriracha mayo...

It's been a long time since I posted here. It looks like everyone is still cooking awesome meals! I made pasta carbonara from scratch and was really happy with how it turned out. Each step is below.

That...looks amazing. I really want to try my hand at fresh pasta someday.

Onkel, your sage-y delights look great too. Might have to do that tonight for dinner.

zbarron

Made some bao from scratch the other day because I was possessed or something.

Mmmmm...sriracha mayo...

That...looks amazing. I really want to try my hand at fresh pasta someday.

Onkel, your sage-y delights look great too. Might have to do that tonight for dinner.
Looks good. Are you finding more time to cook now that your little one is older?

I made crepes for the first time yesterday for breakfast.
34993644132_da933c39b6_b.jpg

Not a pretty picture but it was a quick breakfast before work. I tore a few but really started to get the hang of it half way through. As you can see they were filled with sliced strawberry and nutella. They were tasty and surprisingly easy. I'll definitely make these again.

Looks good. Are you finding more time to cook now that your little one is older?

I made crepes for the first time yesterday for breakfast.
34993644132_da933c39b6_b.jpg

Not a pretty picture but it was a quick breakfast before work. I tore a few but really started to get the hang of it half way through. As you can see they were filled with sliced strawberry and nutella. They were tasty and surprisingly easy. I'll definitely make these again.

Thanks, Z. They were scarfed in under five mins between my husband and myself, so it hardly seemed with the hours of prep, but damn they were tasty.

Time-wise, sort of. Now that she's older I don't have to feed her constantly, but she's cut down to two naps, so I don't have a lot of time for work, cleaning, or food. I just hustle my ass off and try and get something on the table by 8. ;_;

And now I want crepes... Do I need a crepe pan to make those or can I freeball it?

Are round stoneware casserole dishes a good thing to have? They have one a really nice one on clearance with a couple small chips. Trying to build up the types of dishes I have so curious whether it's worth having.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Are round stoneware casserole dishes a good thing to have? They have one a really nice one on clearance with a couple small chips. Trying to build up the types of dishes I have so curious whether it's worth having.

Stoneware has been replaced by glass for a reason. It doesn't make a lot of sense unless you value its looks (see: Le Creuset's range. Ikea's are also shockingly nice).

I have a bunch of small and large stoneware ramekins for small dishes such as creme brulee and individual lasagna rations, plus a terracotta dish I somehow inherited, but it's just about presentation for me.

Like Corningware dishes? I love mine. I have four serving ones. 3 oval dishes, a deep dish and two shallow dishes, one with a divider. Then I also have a very shallow large round one. I love them for easy cooking, serving, and storage, then back to reheating.

picture :D?

Only took a picture of the box sadly.

GCxziM3.jpg

Stoneware has been replaced by glass for a reason. It doesn't make a lot of sense unless you value its looks (see: Le Creuset's range. Ikea's are also shockingly nice).

I have a bunch of small and large stoneware ramekins for small dishes such as creme brulee and individual lasagna rations, plus a terracotta dish I somehow inherited, but it's just about presentation for me.

Is glass that much better? And I could have sworn most of le creuset is cast iron that's surrounded in stoneware but I could be mistaken. I think it's like $70 so I'm just trying to find things that are useful as I build up my kitchen supplies.

Like Corningware dishes? I love mine. I have four serving ones. 3 oval dishes, a deep dish and two shallow dishes, one with a divider. Then I also have a very shallow large round one. I love them for easy cooking, serving, and storage, then back to reheating.
Sort of like that, just trying to figure out if it's something that's useful in the kitchen or has more limited uses

Also, any recommendations on good company for pots/pans that don't cost an arm and a leg? My cheapy set has served me well but nicer ones seem to hear more evenly which I think will help a lot since it's one of the more frustrating things to deal with.

Only took a picture of the box sadly.

GCxziM3.jpg

Is glass that much better? And I could have sworn most of le creuset is cast iron that's surrounded in stoneware but I could be mistaken. I think it's like $70 so I'm just trying to find things that are useful as I build up my kitchen supplies.
Le Creuset is enameled cast iron. A bit different than stoneware or corningware. Yes, it is a very versatile piece to have in a kitchen if you can afford it.

I found my entire All Clad at the flea market and at thrift stores. I have different pieces from different sets and a couple non stick pans too. The prices on ebay aren't too bad for used either. Just new is really expensive. If you're on the east coast they do twice a year sales on imperfects. Somewhere in Pennsylvania.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Sort of like that, just trying to figure out if it's something that's useful in the kitchen or has more limited uses

Also, any recommendations on good company for pots/pans that don't cost an arm and a leg? My cheapy set has served me well but nicer ones seem to hear more evenly which I think will help a lot since it's one of the more frustrating things to deal with.
For pots, Ikea has a great value for money stainless steel range called "365+". As for pans/skillets, I always recommend the T-Fal / Tefal professional series for non-stick cookware.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

maybe one De Buyer Mineral B Element Iron Frypan. in germany they're like 30€...don't know about the price in other countries.

eggs, steaks..both come out amazing in them. but you'll need to read about cooking with an iron pan first :)

Le Creuset is enameled cast iron. A bit different than stoneware or corningware. Yes, it is a very versatile piece to have in a kitchen if you can afford it.

I found my entire All Clad at the flea market and at thrift stores. I have different pieces from different sets and a couple non stick pans too. The prices on ebay aren't too bad for used either. Just new is really expensive. If you're on the east coast they do twice a year sales on imperfects. Somewhere in Pennsylvania.
Ah, enameled. Not sure why I was thinking stoneware, I think I've been looking at too much stuff over the past couple of days.

Do you know where abouts in pennsylvania? If it's on the eastern part of PA then that's not too bad to get to.

For pots, Ikea has a great value for money stainless steel range called "365+". As for pans/skillets, I always recommend the T-Fal / Tefal professional series for non-stick cookware.
Nice I"ll look at both of those. I didn't think Ikea would have such good stuff but all the 365+ stuff seems really reasonably priced. I might pick some up this week. Thanks!
maybe one De Buyer Mineral B Element Iron Frypan. in germany they're like 30€...don't know about the price in other countries.

eggs, steaks..both come out amazing in them. but you'll need to read about cooking with an iron pan first :)
Thanks!

Ah, enameled. Not sure why I was thinking stoneware, I think I've been looking at too much stuff over the past couple of days.

Do you know where abouts in pennsylvania? If it's on the eastern part of PA then that's not too bad to get to.

Thanks!
Not sure. Fiesta ware also has an imperfects store open year round and they're in PA too.

Found this website, looks like they're doing online sales too now. I know it used to be an in person deal.
https://homeandcooksales.com

One more question if people are willing, what is the best alternative to an actual grill? Can't do something like that in an apartment but I miss it... Is something like a George Foreman grill good or I was looking at grill pans, etc. Is there something that does a decent job mimicking a grill?

zbarron

One more question if people are willing, what is the best alternative to an actual grill? Can't do something like that in an apartment but I miss it... Is something like a George Foreman grill good or I was looking at grill pans, etc. Is there something that does a decent job mimicking a grill?

My go to answer is always a broiler if you have one in your oven. They're a lot more similar than you'd think.

http://www.today.com/food/turn-grilling-upside-down-use-your-broiler-1D80357263
https://www.thespruce.com/grilling-versus-broiling-331535

Cast iron pans. I keep a griddle in the oven on the top rack. Great for baking and broiling when I need to. Just give an extra ten to fifteen minute to heat up after the oven pre heats.

There's also that Weber Q electric grill. I think it is. But way more space than a George Foreman.

Easy_G

I decided to make my own tsukemono.
cucumber pickled in miso. It's my first try ever.

I know, it does not look very delicious, but I hope that I get great taste out of it in 3 days.

This is so far out io what I would normally try. How will you serve it? I really should try more Japanese foods. Maybe I'll watch Midnight Diner again. To get in the mood. The simplicity sounds enticing.

Easy_G

This was dinner for my wife. She loves octopus and I saw this stew recipe from Jacques Pepin on PBS. Dessert was flan. Both were much easier than I expected. The flan gave me a scare both with the caramel phase turning harder than I expected and then the flans taking a bit of work to get out of the ramekins.

This was dinner for my wife. She loves octopus and I saw this stew recipe from Jacques Pepin on PBS. Dessert was flan. Both were much easier than I expected. The flan gave me a scare both with the caramel phase turning harder than I expected and then the flans taking a bit of work to get out of the ramekins

xLFOhLR.jpg

Oh lord that looks so good.

I made some BBQ chicken with peppers and onions. Probably should have cleaned the plate before pictures as it looks fucking slopppy but I sure you it was amazing

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

It's less about being better and more about being pretty much equal at a fraction of the price. Just use whatever you like better, really. I have both and I've never noticed any difference.

IIRC Le Creuset has an actual stoneware range that sells separatedly and cheaper than their enameled cast iron line (which you seem to have, going by your comments). They are also considerably lighter and every bit as gorgeous.

Re: Pots and Pans. I use some fairly cheap steel pots I bought at a local hardware store and they are fine. Just look for something with a thick (thicc, even) bottom. My largest one is made by Pintinox and I can tell you it's of a higher quality than the rest, but a pot is a pot. I'd probably buy an entire collection of Pintinox pots if I had to redo my set, but mostly because the handles are more ergonomic. As for pans, I *love* Castey non-stick ones. They have a detachable handle so you can use them in the oven just like a cast iron one.

I can imagine those are difficult to find in the States, though.

Nice I"ll look at both of those. I didn't think Ikea would have such good stuff but all the 365+ stuff seems really reasonably priced. I might pick some up this week. Thanks!

My Ikea Sensuell steel pan is absolutely terrific for the price. It's one hefty SOB.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
This is so far out io what I would normally try. How will you serve it? I really should try more Japanese foods. Maybe I'll watch Midnight Diner again. To get in the mood. The simplicity sounds enticing.

they're cleaned, and served besides japanese dishes as a little something between bites.
or as a snack while drinking beer.

this morning I made lamb pie with cheddar

snacknuts

we all knew her
Tonights dinner: Tortellini and Fettucini wth sage butter, pineseeds and parmesan.

I was just scrolling through the past couple pages to get an idea of what I can make for dinner tonight without a ton of work, and I think this might be a winner. Can you please offer tips on the sage butter? Just heat the butter enough to fry the sage a bit and toss both with the tortellini?

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I was just scrolling through the past couple pages to get an idea of what I can make for dinner tonight without a ton of work, and I think this might be a winner. Can you please offer tips on the sage butter? Just heat the butter enough to fry the sage a bit and toss both with the tortellini?

That's what I usually do. but maybe onkelC does it another way.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Thank you for asking. Just put a skillet on low to medium heat, add butter, a pinch of salt and two handful of sage leaves and let them fry for a couple minutes. Pour over Pasta and serve.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Youall made me hungry for sage. tomorrow I'll make saltimbocca alla romana for the first time ever.

Edit: and I decided to go freestyle. I only read the ingredients. let's see how that works out. we're low on money, so I'll have to use chicken.

Because I'm pregnant: Xiao Long Bao from scratch at 10PM. Happy with my first attempt at it. Tasted great even without the oyster sauce.

Not really. Any pan should do it.

Any pan, he says... My shitty pan did something criminal to those 'crepes'. :(

zbarron, do you do delivery? :D

This was dinner for my wife. She loves octopus and I saw this stew recipe from Jacques Pepin on PBS. Dessert was flan. Both were much easier than I expected. The flan gave me a scare both with the caramel phase turning harder than I expected and then the flans taking a bit of work to get out of the ramekins.

*Applause* That's so cool. I'm keen but also terrified of cooking octopus.

Zyzyxxz

Working on a new octopus dish for work and for a taco event as well. It's octopus al pastor, the side vegetables aren't final yet but were just fun.

19059991_10103622142768714_2880196770547489852_n.jpg

Easy_G

Because I'm pregnant: Xiao Long Bao from scratch at 10PM. Happy with my first attempt at it. Tasted great even without the oyster sauce.

Any pan, he says... My shitty pan did something criminal to those 'crepes'. :(

zbarron, do you do delivery? :D

*Applause* That's so cool. I'm keen but also terrified of cooking octopus.

Those look absurdly delicious.

Working on a new octopus dish for work and for a taco event as well. It's octopus al pastor, the side vegetables aren't final yet but were just fun.

I really wish I could taste that.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
So I wound up picking up the round casserole I spoke of earlier... Does it look used? The inside enamel looks darker than pictures I can find of it. Came to $74 after tax.

That's some well used Le Creuset right there. But it wasn't a bad amount given how absurdly priced they are.

Try to look for ways to clean that enamel. There are lots of methods around, but *do skip* the baking soda one unless you want to dull it like I did with mine.

Because I'm pregnant: Xiao Long Bao from scratch at 10PM.
I'm keeping this post away from my girlfriend.

I had assumed all Xiao Long Bao had soup in them, no?

The parcels are filled with the juice from the cooked pork, and there's a lot so it's like having spoonfuls of ginger pork 'soup', but I wanted more of an accompaniment so I made a simple carrot-ginger broth to drink with them.

Those look absurdly delicious.

I really wish I could taste that.

Thanks! I was really surprised at how well they came out. They actually tasted like the ones I've had in restaurants. I need to roll my dough thinner (really hard to get right when you're using a coffee mug for a pin) and tweak the filling for more juice, but yeah, totally recommend giving them a go if you're hankering for some dumplings. If you do and you use oyster sauce, tell me how it goes. I had to omit that from mine because I found a worm in the bottle...

made some fried rice yesterday and served the first of my homemade japanese pickles with it.

this is what the cucumber looked like before >>

congratulations aaaand they look really good.

Gracias and gracias! They were fun, if stupidly time consuming (bc it was my first time). May I say that your pickles look delectable? They don't sell the same kind of pickles here, so I can never quite recreate that dish. Sooo good in summer, too.

That's some well used Le Creuset right there. But it wasn't a bad amount given how absurdly priced they are.

Try to look for ways to clean that enamel. There are lots of methods around, but *do skip* the baking soda one unless you want to dull it like I did with mine.

Dude, make them for her. Dooooooo eeeeeeeeet.

So pretty I'd hang it on my wall~

Is it worth keeping at that price? I got it from a department store so a little disappointed it's used when it should be new.

I was looking online and most suggestions were baking soda or magic eraser. Did you try magic eraser on it at all?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Is it worth keeping at that price? I got it from a department store so a little disappointed it's used when it should be new.

I was looking online and most suggestions were baking soda or magic eraser. Did you try magic eraser on it at all?

It's weird that they sold you an used one. All things considered that is not a bad price given that Le Creusets hold their value better than Apple products, but it's up to you, really.

I used baking soda on my pot to clean some stains (not a Le Creuset, though) and the enamel got dull right away :( I have never heard of magic eraser.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

I use magic eraser all the time on mine, especially on the outside to clean off any dried food spots. and 74 bucks is a great price imho. Clean it really well and use it for 100 years.

Top Bottom