• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Its time to choose, PS2 or PS4? Which has the best library?

Best library between PS2 or PS4?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Naglafar

PS2 best game : Final Fantasy X, Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater, GTA San Andreas, Gran Turismo 4, Silent Hill 2

PS4 best game : Bloodborne, Spiderman, Uncharted 4 At Thieves End, Horizon Zero Dawn, Infamous Second Son, God of War

Still coming : The Last of Us II, Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima

i vote PS4

Your PS2 games have genre defining games that did things nothing else had ever done before. Silent Hill 2 is still probably the best survival horror game nearly 20 years after it came out. FFX was the first fully voiced FF game. The PS4 games listed are a souls game with a twist, and 2 polished open world collectathon games. I am not sure how infamous is even in the list of best PS4 games, its not even the best Infamous game. Same with UC4, 2 was waaaaay better. I will give you God of War though, that was probably the best game this generation.

kunonabi

PS4 isnt close by any metric and honestly the only reason the ps4 library looks as good as it does is because of how awful the ps3's library was.

Fbh

I doubt any console Sony ever releases will be able to compete with the Ps2 if simply by the fact that third party exclusives were WAY more frequent back then and AAA games where much cheaper which pushed studios to release more games and franchises than now

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i loved PS2 but PS4 is on a totally different level.

in comparison, the PS2 has a load of junk games. the only reason the PS2 sold as many consoles as it did was because it was a cheap option for a DVD player. the DS is the next best selling device and that had a rock solid library of exclusive games with no physical media advantage. if the PS2 used a standard CD or cartridge it wouldn't have done as well.

Last edited:

Three

the ps4 is just at this time a weak copy cat of the ps2 when it comes to games. We had 3 devil may cry game made during the ps2 gen,4 ratchet and clank, shadow of the colossus, like 4ish metal gear solid games, and 2 god of war games. Considering how this gen is coming to a close fairly quickly I just don't see the ps4 games surpassing what the ps2 games did.
81nsfvQ6qEL._SX342_.jpg
913hlCrPtsL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
latest

91B6qgLjJZL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
4771107-l.jpg

I guess from a 'what a time to be alive' perspective the PS2 is better but a lot of the games you listed are still part of the PS4 library or have modern versions plus the new games like Spiderman and Horizon: ZD etc.

Last edited:

anthraticus

Entirely depends on the genre you're into.

PS4 has far more Western RPGs compared to the PS2. Whether we're talking "old school" CRPGs like Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Divinity, etc.
cRPGs are my favorite genre, but I'd still go with the PS2.

I play those types of games on PC anyway.

Codes 208

Ps2, while a significant step up from ps3 for me, ps4 has yet to wow me the same way ps2 did.
For every great ps2 game there is two or three better ones on ps4. I loved every ps gen but for me it is Ps4>ps3>Psx>ps2.
I’ve never seen so much wrong with one post.

Codes 208

I guess from a 'what a time to be alive' perspective the PS2 is better but a lot of the games you listed are still part of the PS4 library or have modern versions plus the new games like Spiderman and Horizon: ZD etc.
IMHO trying to argue that the PS4 has ‘superior’ version’s of classic games in this context is a disservice to the originals. Shadow of the colossus for example may look better on ps4 but it is at its heart a ps2 game.

I feel bad for the PS4 in this comparison because it isn't even a close comparison, but not because the PS4 is terrible but that the PS2 is just that good. The last few years have really turned the PS4 around in terms of games, but the PS2 is just untouchable. Maybe the PSX comes close?

Jubenhimer

Both have very strong and diverse libraries. But I say that the PS2 is better because it has a stronger line of exclusives and more varied output from Sony.

It's a tough pick, both have generation-defining games. I will give the edge to PS4 for the added value of having a big VR library as well.

brap

Banned
PS2 is objectively correct.
Silent Hill 3, MGS 2 & 3, DMC trilogy, GTA trilogy, Jak trilogy, God Hand, Kingdom Hearts 1&2, Yakuza series, God of Wars, etc.

Petrae

This ain’t even close. The PlayStation 2 library utterly destroys the PlayStation 4 library. On PS2:

— There are more STGs
— Better Final Fantasy games
— Ridge Racer still existed
— Three great Ace Combat games (instead of one)
— More sports games to pick from, and better competition
— Arcade compilations were a thing (instead of buying per game)
— Burnout still existed
— Jak & Daxter and Ratchet & Clank were prominent
— Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance and Champions of Norrath existed

I could go on and on. For my money, PS2 is the best Sony console with the best library.

PS2 hands down. That was when games of every genre came out and devs/publishers took chances. We're just never going to get a game like Gitaroo-Man again. I know about the Rap Rabbit Kickstarter that failed miserably, but back in the ps2 days that game would've just been funded and released. Just a real shame.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Which platform has The Aka-Champion Come On, Baby?

tumblr_nprjc3BEkM1roqda3o1_400.gif

tumblr_nprkd8Pv4U1roqda3o1_r1_500.gif

tumblr_npre5ohb4N1roqda3o1_500.gif

Sure, I own some obscure, weird games on PS4, but PS2 has some weeeeird stuff.

bosnianpie

In the PS2-era I emigrated to PC for a couple of years and didn't experience all the console had to offer. I have some 20 games but to be honest I still feel that PS2 has the weakest library of all Playstation consoles. I know it's an unpopular opinion but that's how I feel.

PS4 on the other hand has been superb since day one. Despite trying to keep the game purchasing to a minimum and choosing quality over quantity I probably still have 60 games from this generation. With so many memorable experiences I think this is the strongest generation so far despite all my nostalgia love for the original PS.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Which platform let you pit Solid Snake against beloved retro characters in a free-for-all platforming/fighting game?

dream-mix-tv-world-fighters-solid-snake-optimus-prime.gif.gif

lock2k

Banned
Not event a contest. PS2 has the best library of all time.

For a fighting game fan like me... a month of PS2 is better than PS4's entire library.

That console was a fucking juggernaut.

93xfan

giphy.gif

I would be down for a PS2 Classic Mini even though they’re probably gonna fuck up this one again.

How about Sony puts in some effort and makes the PS5 BC with all those PS2 games?

Then again, they chose to charge us the full amount for PS2 games that we bought last gen, and tried to use the excuse that it was worth it because they added trophies.

If you're counting both third party and first party exclusives then without a doubt the PS2.

But I do think Sony's first party output is better on PS4 than the PS2.

Allandor

PS2 had a GT (well actually 2). PS4 not even one real GT game (I really don't count GTS as a real GT game).
There was Kingdom hearts, Final Fantasy X, Devil may Cry, ….
so many new game franchises

Doom85

PS2 library isn't just the best in the Playstation book to me, it's the best video game library period. The amount of win in that library was unbelievable.

Now, PS4 I will actually say has the 2nd best Playstation library. I know for many 2nd best is PS1, but while quite a few of those games did age well, there's also quite a few that didn't. PS3 is definitely the weakest, there definitely are some great games that gen but nowhere near the amount of any of the others.

And no, I'm not counting ports, come on. A PS2-original game is part of that library, not PS4's or any other's. I'll allow remakes (like Ratchet and Clank) or remasters that went so up and beyond they can't be called simple remasters (Spyro trilogy) but basic ports don't count in my book.

lock2k: obviously PS2 was definitely not lacking in fighters, but are you implying PS4 has barely any? Street Fighter, Tekken, Soul Calibur, Mortal Kombat, Blazblue, Guilty Gear, Injustice, Dragonball FighterZ, etc., it's not exactly lacking in fighters.

Orenji Neko

For me, it's the PS2 easily. It's a console I actually bought and enjoyed as a PC game player. The PS3, and PS4 do not interest me in the slightest, and I didn't buy them, but I wouldn't be adverse to pulling my PS2, or even the PS1 or PSP out of storage and playing on them. The libraries on those consoles actually offered something for my gaming tastes where the PS3 and 4 have nothing that interests me specifically, and everything else I can play on the PC. For me, the PS2 hangs with the NES, SNES, and Genesis in my pantheon of favorite consoles that I will always hang on to.

I've seen people compared the PS4 to the PS2, and if it's doing the same thing for you game-wise, then great, but they couldn't be more different to me and the types of games I like to play. Being somewhat impartial as I am not a console gamer, I can take a look and say that I'd definitely consider the PS4 an improvement to the PS3. PS2 is just legendary though and comes from a different time.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
PS2 for games that you can play instantly but the hardware isn't reliable.
PS4 for hardware that doesn't give you disc read errors and scratches your disc but at the cost of having to download 50-100 GB for each game you want to play.

lock2k

Banned
PS2 library isn't just the best in the Playstation book to me, it's the best video game library period. The amount of win in that library was unbelievable.

Now, PS4 I will actually say has the 2nd best Playstation library. I know for many 2nd best is PS1, but while quite a few of those games did age well, there's also quite a few that didn't. PS3 is definitely the weakest, there definitely are some great games that gen but nowhere near the amount of any of the others.

And no, I'm not counting ports, come on. A PS2-original game is part of that library, not PS4's or any other's. I'll allow remakes (like Ratchet and Clank) or remasters that went so up and beyond they can't be called simple remasters (Spyro trilogy) but basic ports don't count in my book.

lock2k: obviously PS2 was definitely not lacking in fighters, but are you implying PS4 has barely any? Street Fighter, Tekken, Soul Calibur, Mortal Kombat, Blazblue, Guilty Gear, Injustice, Dragonball FighterZ, etc., it's not exactly lacking in fighters.

Not lacking... but compared to to the PS2? It stands no chance. I have more than 50 fighting games in my PS2 hdd. PS4 has several fighting games but any console compared to the PS2 looks like a steampunk wasteland in terms of having fighting games.

dopey

PS2 hands down, there was so much more variety/experimentation, also the level to which they managed to push the hardware.

93xfan

Socom 1 & 2
Shadow of the Colossus
ICO
Gran Turiamo 3 & 4
Katamari
Ratchet and Clank (original Trilogy)
SSX trilogy
Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 3 & 4
God of War 1 & 2
Final Fantasy X & XII
Beyond Good and Evil