• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koji Igarashi Kickstarts Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (2.5D, backdash, 2018)

Redtale

Neo Member
The only downside to bloodstained is number of backers. It seems, quantity-wise, to be lower than other KS games, people are just backing at ridiculously high tiers.

You're right. I looked at Pillars, Broken Age and MN9 and they average ~15k backers in their last 3 days. If we get that many we'd be just over 60k backers which is still lower than the other kickstarters.

However, if we do and the average per person remains the same ($82.66), that's an additional $1.24 million.

They're not his favorite castlevania, but I still think he's a fan. He wouldn't have been on the reveal stream and they wouldn't have played SotN on gamegrumps if he didn't at least SORTA like the games.

Average backer pledge is 82 bucks right now ($3,790,266 / 45,909), so yeah, your average backer is basically buying 2 games, :p

I'm getting physical on Wii U (to collect, and maybe replay), and digital on PC (for beta access and 'definitive' version).

Stop talking about the game being worth 28, because it's clearly worth about ~80 bucks to most people.

I'm actually pledging like i'm buying 2 games , one digital and one physical ...
And i feel damn fine.

Dremark

Banned
I'm not even on the fence, but I haven't backed yet.

I can't help it. I'm a student; procrastination is in my blood.

Just don't wait it out too long. We don't want to leave without you.

Nice dev update video. I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like extreme precision platform jumping lol.

I like it but I know these style of games aren't about that. I am hoping that philosophy is ignored for the classic mode they are doing though. I am hoping that's tough as nails.

Skidd

I won't argue. My main point is if they have no geometry in the backgrounds (which is what they seem to have now), they will be able to produce a look very close to the concepts. However, that approach can be limiting in what you can do with interaction/rendering with the background elements.

That approach would allow them to get up a quick proof of concept with near final art for a small section of the game regardless of the engine they are using.
This! And I'm really hoping people won't start flipping out once they start introducing levels with proper geometry and 3D assets and figure out that it may or may not look as good as the the initial prototype.

My point being that it's way too early to expect the final product to look anything like the prototype. The video only demonstrates that they are heading in the right direction when it comes to the art and gameplay. Looks more promising than Mighty No. 9, I'll give it that. Though it baffles me that this is the same developer.

I like it but I know these style of games aren't about that. I am hoping that philosophy is ignored for the classic mode they are doing though. I am hoping that's tough as nails.

Even without precision platforming being involved, things can get brutal when you factor in enemy placement. I suppose they can still do it that way.

OmegaDL50

This! And I'm really hoping people won't start flipping out once they start introducing levels with proper geometry and 3D assets and figure out that it may or may not look as good as the the initial prototype.

My point being that it's way too early to expect the final product to look anything like the prototype. The video only demonstrates that they are heading in the right direction when it comes to the art and gameplay. Looks more promising than Mighty No. 9, I'll give it that. Though it baffles me that this is the same developer.

Even a great team of developers capacity can be limited without proper direction.
I've seen this proven time and time again.

---------------------------------------------

Now for slight subject change.

We are just under 60,000 away from reaching the 4 Million mile stone

3823k Kickstarter + 120k Paypal = 3943k

Hoping to awake tomorrow to news of the revealed $5,000,000 stretch goal. What could it be? Map creator? Oculus Rift support? Iga coming to your house to spend a day with you!?

Lathentar

Looking for Pants

If they decide to go with geometry and 3D assets. They might want to go with this approach, there are a number of benefits.

Dremark

Banned

It's the same company working on it with a different person directing it. Also I'd like to think that Arcsys broke a lot of new ground for 2D games with 3D assets.

Even without precision platforming being involved, things can get brutal when you factor in enemy placement. I suppose they can still do it that way.

This is true. Rondo of Blood largely moved away form precision platforming and it's still a fairly challenging game. I'm personally looking for something like CV1 where you get hit by a Medusa head fall down a pit and that's it, but there are a lot of avenues they could go with it.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Also I'd like to think that Arcsys broke a lot of new ground for 2D games with 3D assets.

However, we've yet to see if other developers will be able to match those strides. I think the closest we've got are those Naruto games from Namco, but that's not really 2D by design, so...

I guess a lot of it does have to do with animation styling and the number of frames and whatnot.

OmegaDL50

They could also do it similar to this

Castlevania-Symphony-Of-The-Night-Psx-1457306.jpg

It looks 2D but is evidently 3D due to the parallax scrolling and angle shift involved as you move through this area.

OR the worse example. Something like this
castlevania-the-dr-4e263d3d9631b.jpg

But I'm sure the shader and texture techniques they use for Bloodstained will naturally be better then whatever is Dracula X Chronicles.

I mean look at games like Trine
trine-big-skeleton.jpg

Ori and the Blind Forest
2562384-ori-screenshot17.jpg

or even Max: The Curse of Brotherhood
e32013-05.jpg

You can still maintain a level of quality 2D within a 3D perspective. As the above games showcase.

Stupid question for the lazy, guys and gals!

How would one go about getting more than one physical copy of the game?

This was added to the FAQ two days ago:

Can I add-on multiple tiers?
Yes! Simply select the highest tier you want, and then add any lower tiers to your pledge total. For example, if you want the collectors box ($250) plus an extra physical copy ($60), you should pledge $310. Also add the shipping cost of each tier if outside the United States.

During the survey process (which will happen after the Kickstarter is complete) you'll be allowed to apply your funds to specific tiers.

Last updated: Sun, Jun 7 2015 2:31 AM EDT

Creaking

I hope they do more Ori style than Trine or Max. I don't like highly 3D environments in a 2D game geared around exploration. It gets me wondering "why can't I go there?" I like background dressing, but I don't like it to stick out too much.

OmegaDL50

This is true. Rondo of Blood largely moved away form precision platforming and it's still a fairly challenging game. I'm personally looking for something like CV1 where you get hit by a Medusa head fall down a pit and that's it, but there are a lot of avenues they could go with it.

That kind of platforming really wouldn't work with the open explorable castle in Iga's Metroidvania titles which Bloodstained is following.

I mean they couldn't really implement pits since the overall map needs to account for rooms below your current one.

They could incorporate pitfall deaths in CV1 because of it's linear structured and stage based progression.

Symphony of the Night and it's ilk have a very different method of platforming then what is present in the Classicvania titles.

Falling down a hole in SOTN means you simply went into the room below your current one. Pitfall deaths wouldn't work due by design of map alone.

Creaking

That kind of platforming really wouldn't work with the open explorable castle in Iga's Metroidvania titles which Bloodstained is following.

I mean they couldn't really implement pits since the overall map needs to account for rooms below your current one.

They could incorporate pitfall deaths in CV1 because of it's linear structured and stage based progression.

Symphony of the Night and it's ilk have a very different method of platforming then what is present in the Classicvania titles.

Falling down a hole in SOTN means you simply went into the room below your current one. Pitfall deaths wouldn't work due by design of map alone.

There are other ways of doing pitfall-type obstacles. It's not an instant kill in Aria and gives you a chance to recover, but it still does a lot of damage and could lead to a quick death if you don't recover...

0.jpg

Aria had some especially precarious situations in the clock tower. You could get stoned by a medusa head, which multiplies the damage you recieve, and then get carried into a bed of spikes by a gear, taking out a huge chunk of your health since spikes already did a ton of damage.

Similar traps exist in the other games too.

225px-Castlevaniaooe213.jpg

mac-2.png

Have they given any indication on when they intend to ship? I just watched the last video. Having just made a Metroidvania with Ori, my guess would be that it'll take them a good 3 years time to finish it if what they've shown there is the current state of the game. Having to ship on multiple platforms at once also isn't a cakewalk.

Anyway, I'm all for them pushing Metroidvanias forward, I hope they'll have some brilliant new ideas they're bringing to the table.

I'm not a huge fan of the 2.5d stuff and would never go for that myself, but I can see why they're doing it, especially with a game where you can have different kinds of armors and weapons (even though they could've just rendered the characters as 3d graphics whole working with 2d envs). Best of luck to Iga, I'm sure glad that we see more and better Metroidvanias with higher production values being created again - now only Nintendo needs to make another 2d Metroid! :)

Creaking

There's plenty of day left and we're already almost past yesterday's pledge total, which was the highest it's been in weeks. Hopefully they'll whip out a mind blowing $5,000,000 goal and we'll see a spike in pledges. If we reach 4 million by the end of today, then we'll need a little more than half of the first two day's pledge numbers to reach $5 million. The campaign has performed exceptionally in every area (save for backer count) so far. Let's hope it keeps to the end.

I'm guessing they're just waiting for 4 mil to be reached before updating.

On another semi-related note, I've been watching Cromartie High School lately, and to those Gaffers who pledged at the design-a-weapon tier, I implore you to consider a fine Strawberry Short-Blade

tumblr_lyoul2qwah1qe18szo1_400.jpg

Have they given any indication on when they intend to ship? I just watched the last video. Having just made a Metroidvania with Ori, my guess would be that it'll take them a good 3 years time to finish it if what they've shown there is the current state of the game. Having to ship on multiple platforms at once also isn't a cakewalk.

Anyway, I'm all for them pushing Metroidvanias forward, I hope they'll have some brilliant new ideas they're bringing to the table.

I'm not a huge fan of the 2.5d stuff and would never go for that myself, but I can see why they're doing it, especially with a game where you can have different kinds of armors and weapons (even though they could've just rendered the characters as 3d graphics whole working with 2d envs). Best of luck to Iga, I'm sure glad that we see more and better Metroidvanias with higher production values being created again - now only Nintendo needs to make another 2d Metroid! :)

The estimated delivery for backer rewards (including the game) is March 2017.

Dremark

Banned
OR the worse example. Something like this
castlevania-the-dr-4e263d3d9631b.jpg

To be fair that looked pretty decent on the PSP when it came out.

Was talking about classic mode. I agree it doesn't fit an open game like Bloodstained and such.

Well my bonus at work + holiday pay + over time gave me a lot of extra money, gone all in on this backing at $295 for physical copies on WiiU, Vita, and PS4, along with a digital copy for PC. Backing at the $175 tier + $120 for two extra physical copies

OmegaDL50

As of one minute ago Bloodstained has exceeded the Kickstarter pledges of Mighty No. 9 (not including Paypal)

And we have TWO DAYS for additional pledges.

Factoring Paypal for Bloodstained there is 37,000 to go until 4 Million is reached.

Crocodile

As of one minute ago Bloodstained has exceeded the Kickstarter pledges of Mighty No. 9 (not including Paypal)

And we have TWO DAYS for additional pledges.

Factoring Paypal for Bloodstained there is 37,000 to go until 4 Million is reached.

Three days actually. There are 75.5 hours left in this campaign. Also, woot!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I hope they do more Ori style than Trine or Max. I don't like highly 3D environments in a 2D game geared around exploration. It gets me wondering "why can't I go there?" I like background dressing, but I don't like it to stick out too much.

i agree and i actually brought it up earlier in the thread. a flat foreground perspective with 3d restricted to the background works best. it makes a 2d world appear to have depth while angled foregrounds make a 3d world that appears to lack depth and emphasizes the artificiality of the environment. a pure sidescroller gains nothing from being played at an angled perspective, and it's the big reason i dislike so many modern platformers.

Creaking

i agree and i actually brought it up earlier in the thread. a flat foreground perspective with 3d restricted to the background works best. it makes a 2d world appear to have depth while angled foregrounds make a 3d world that appears to lack depth and emphasizes the artificiality of the environment. a pure sidescroller gains nothing from being played at an angled perspective, and it's the big reason i dislike so many modern platformers.

Summed up my thoughts pretty much exactly.

It's weird, because you and I feel the opposite. But I wonder if this is something as easy to implement as having an option in the settings.

injurai

Banned

I agree. I know they are just doing early mockups right now. But Mighty No. 9 hasn't really changed much since it's prototype aesthetic. As they, any temp assets may end up in the final game. So be careful. Ori is probably my favorite "non-pixel" 2D sprite work. But countless other art directions fall flat to me. Hopefully this isn't one, but I feel it's a little too "first-pass" looking to bass it straight off that concept art.

Top Bottom