• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen |OT| We don't praise the sun around here

burgerdog

So, I beat this with a Rogue (first playthrough) last night. I've heard that the Rogue is the most challenging class to play the game with, and I didn't have much trouble.

I just don't feel the need to play NG+ or start a new class, especially if a Warrior or Cleric would be even easier. I had some fun, but I think I'm gonna trade this one in. Do you guys think there's a reason I should hold on to it?

I don't see a reason to keep it if you like to trade your games in.

nicjac

I can't seem to beat the final boss.
My damage output is not high enough to counteract its HP regen after the zombie phase. And I can't kill the zombies as I have to focus on the fire stuff that kills me half the time anyway.

Very frustrating.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The game has become a lot more fun since I stopped trying to play it like Dark Souls.

All of the weapons I have encountered in this game are awful. It's like they belong to a different game where all of the enemies aren't super fast and have amazing defensive capabilities.

Now all I do is use my most powerful sword and hit enemies with the running R2 attack (which is super fast). Normal swings are completely useless, but running in, doing some damage, and getting back out is a strategy that seemingly works on everything so far.

Beat the Infiltrator and Champion last night and farmed some exp, getting like 60k before leveling and calling it a night.

I must say the story and exposition are abysmal. It's obvious that they spent time on it, but nothing makes sense. Everything seems to have zero context. I have no idea what my goal is supposed to be anymore. Am I supposed to be in the demon dimension? That's where the story took me, but I left last night and progressed the story (mission objective) by going deeper in the Citadel. Maybe I'm just not paying enough attention... Oh well.

The game has become a lot more fun since I stopped trying to play it like Dark Souls.

All of the weapons I have encountered in this game are awful. It's like they belong to a different game where all of the enemies aren't super fast and have amazing defensive capabilities.

Now all I do is use my most powerful sword and hit enemies with the running R2 attack (which is super fast). Normal swings are completely useless, but running in, doing some damage, and getting back out is a strategy that seemingly works on everything so far.

Beat the Infiltrator and Champion last night and farmed some exp, getting like 60k before leveling and calling it a night.

I must say the story and exposition are abysmal. It's obvious that they spent time on it, but nothing makes sense. Everything seems to have zero context. I have no idea what my goal is supposed to be anymore. Am I supposed to be in the demon dimension? That's where the story took me, but I left last night and progressed the story (mission objective) by going deeper in the Citadel. Maybe I'm just not paying enough attention... Oh well.

Where/How do you farm exp? I'm level 42 and I don't think I've found a good location.

bronk

Banned
hey guys I have some codes for ya. :)

The Monk's Decipher
3K2T-DGNQ-BRPR

Demonic Weapons Pack
6PJR-3MND-7CLH

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Where/How do you farm exp? I'm level 42 and I don't think I've found a good location.

I wasn't really farming for efficiency, necessarily. Just after I beat the infiltrator, I ran all the way back to the beginning of the game, picking up things I missed (a lot). Once you have a 2x multiplier, the exp flows in pretty nicely. Also, whenever you leave an area and come back (or quite out and reload a save), all of the enemies respawn, so I imagine you can take advantage of that pretty easily.

lionpants

Speaking of farming, has anyone found a good farming location yet? The Catacombs seem decent.

And about the story... I totally agree, I have no clue what's going on...

• Does Tattoo dude (can't even remember his name, I know it starts with an 'R') absorb the Lord souls?
  • Does anyone else get lost incredibly easy? Everything is a maze and I have trouble finding my bearings.
  • Ever since the "Go through the catacombs and find dudes at the cathedral" objective, I have had to look up where to go online, they make you go to the most least obvious places.
  • They shouldn't have even bothered with the cutscenes, they're absolute trash. Just don't make their lips move at all if the syncing is going to be that bad... lol
Other than that, I'm enjoying the game quite a bit.

I wasn't really farming for efficiency, necessarily. Just after I beat the infiltrator, I ran all the way back to the beginning of the game, picking up things I missed (a lot). Once you have a 2x multiplier, the exp flows in pretty nicely. Also, whenever you leave an area and come back (or quite out and reload a save), all of the enemies respawn, so I imagine you can take advantage of that pretty easily.

Ah yeah, where can I see the exp multiplier? Is it in the stats menu?

Speaking of farming, has anyone found a good farming location yet? The Catacombs seem decent.

And about the story... I totally agree, I have no clue what's going on...

• Does Tattoo dude (can't even remember his name, I know it starts with an 'R') absorb the Lord souls?
  • Does anyone else get lost incredibly easy? Everything is a maze and I have trouble finding my bearings.
  • Ever since the "Go through the catacombs and find dudes at the cathedral" objective, I have had to look up where to go online, they make you go to the most least obvious places.
  • They shouldn't have even bothered with the cutscenes, they're absolute trash. Just don't make their lips move at all if the syncing is going to be that bad... lol
Other than that, I'm enjoying the game quite a bit.

I'll never go back into the catacombs because of the game breaking bug. I don't know where the pit is but it's in the catacombs.

Ferr986

I can't seem to beat the final boss.
My damage output is not high enough to counteract its HP regen after the zombie phase. And I can't kill the zombies as I have to focus on the fire stuff that kills me half the time anyway.

Very frustrating.

Try to position yourself so the fire catch the zombies too.

jonno394

Infiltrator was the easiest boss so far. Died first time trying to learn it's moves then absolutely smashed it the second time. Finding out how to run and do jump attacks has made this game much more fun for me :)

yatesl

XLO66uB.jpg

21 Faith, 20 Agility. I think I'm playing rogue wrong...

Anyway, picked it up from Sunday. Found a
big demon in chains
, and a door that takes me back to near the start of the realm. Pulled a lever, and I figure it's telling me to go back and kill the boss now.

We'll see.

And btw: I'm still using the same Axe I've found 8 -10 hours ago. Is there no good one-handed weapon (that's also fast)? I've only found two swords so far and they are pretty bad. I don't like greatswords or greataxes.

jonno394

And btw: I'm still using the same Axe I've found 8 -10 hours ago. Is there no good one-handed weapon (that's also fast)? I've only found two swords so far and they are pretty bad. I don't like greatswords or greataxes.

I'm using a pretty meaty axe, was using one of the staffs beforehand as they deal fast damage.

romulus91

hey guys, so does anyone know what weapon types get stronger with the AGL stat? is it just daggers or also shortswords?

Also is rogue/brawler a terrible mix? i did a respec thinking it would also change magic

ced

I'm using one called Fate, all the weapons are just either super fast AGI or super slow STR.

jesu

Managed to beat the second boss in my 3rd attempt with me right down to my last slither of health, fuck I was relieved when that was over.
Hopefully I can get on with some more exploring now.

yatesl

hey guys, so does anyone know what weapon types get stronger with the AGL stat? is it just daggers or also shortswords?

Also is rogue/brawler a terrible mix? i did a respec thinking it would also change magic

There should be a stat that says something along the lines of "Stat scale: +10%" If it says Agility, then it gets stronger with each agility point

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Soooo I got my PS4 today, along with this game. :) I probably won't have time to really dive in until Thursday night, though.

Before I plunge in, anything I should definitely know that the game itself doesn't explain so well (or at all)? I prefer to go in blind generally, but, for instance, in Dark Souls II, the powerstancing requirements (1.5x the minimum weapon stats) are not ever explained in-game and it's something that's useful to know right away.

So I'm not asking for general tips but mostly about things like that. I hear it's a fairly accessible game though so there's probably little or nothing like it.

Also, is there any truth to the "easy = warrior, normal = cleric, hard = rogue" thing? I was going to pick the rogue no matter what (it's always my first choice) but I'm just curious.

jonno394

Managed to beat the second boss in my 3rd attempt with me right down to my last slither of health, fuck I was relieved when that was over.
Hopefully I can get on with some more exploring now.

Just make sure you don't do what I did and think the game autosaves after bosses. Beat that bastard, was really proud of myself, turned off shortly after, turn back on, I load at the checkpoint outside and the boss is still there.....I facepalmed but then proceeded to beat him again.

Jinaar

I did notice one thing that I really didn't like in the game:

Attribute/Magic Points purchased via EXP are separate from Attribute/Magic Points received from Potions. So spend more on Attributes and use more potions for spells :)

After a respec where I wanted to remove more points away from spells, it showed the error of my ways

jesu

Just make sure you don't do what I did and think the game autosaves after bosses. Beat that bastard, was really proud of myself, turned off shortly after, turn back on, I load at the checkpoint outside and the boss is still there.....I facepalmed but then proceeded to beat him again.

I found that out shortly before my fight with him.
Got to the save point before him, done the cutscenes and realised there would be a boss fight through that gate.
Switched it off for the night.
Played it today and I was away back at the previous one.
So that's when I found out you have to press Y at the campfires.

yatesl

I just beat The G
uardian
. He was probably the second easiest boss so far, after the first - which is odd, as I feel like I'm at the end of the game.

That said, no single boss in this game has killed me more than 3 times - in fact, I normally die once, then kill them the time after.

That said, I'd rather have it like this, than a fight like O&S.

I just beat The G
uardian
. He was probably the second easiest boss so far, after the first - which is odd, as I feel like I'm at the end of the game.

That said, no single boss in this game has killed me more than 3 times - in fact, I normally die once, then kill them the time after.

That said, I'd rather have it like this, than a fight like O&S.

O&S was epic.
LotF is a good game but nowhere near the quality of the souls games. But there is no souls game on next gen so it's the best experience you can get right now.
@ From Software: Please announce DS3 or Dark Souls Collection :)

yatesl

O&S was epic.
LotF is a good game but nowhere near the quality of the souls games. But there is no souls game on next gen so it's the best experience you can get right now.
@ From Software: Please announce DS3 or Dark Souls Collection :)

I have 1000/1000, yet I've never solo'd O&S. The first time I had Soltaire, and the second I was in NG+ so summoned 2 guys. Honestly, I enjoyed Dark Souls much more with 2 other people with me - just a shame that the online on GFWL is dead without a specific DSFix add-on.

Dark Souls 2 was much more enjoyable (purely from a co-op point of view...).

I have 1000/1000, yet I've never solo'd O&S. The first time I had Soltaire, and the second I was in NG+ so summoned 2 guys. Honestly, I enjoyed Dark Souls much more with 2 other people with me - just a shame that the online on GFWL is dead without a specific DSFix add-on.

Dark Souls 2 was much more enjoyable (purely from a co-op point of view...).

Yeah, I just love the online part in DS (and DS2) and I miss it in LotF. Not because I can't summon other players (I would like to have the possibility before boss fights though), no...I miss their shades :(

Ricker

I gave up on the game,mainly because it was a rental lol, and I also couldnt beat the Guardian Boss...I was a level 58 Rogue.

I asked last time,what level where you guys when you beat the game...?

vakarian64

Had a good session of this last night, just beat The Champion boss. I'm playing as a Cleric, Medium armour 'Harmony' set, and putting all my stats into Faith (primary), Endurance then Vitality.

Kind of regret going a Faith build though, because I'm having trouble finding some good Faith based weapons. I'm using the Clawfinger scythe at the moment, it's a fucking beast damage wise but it's so damn slow. Would love to replace it with a faster swinging Faith weapon, are there any around?

Had a good session of this last night, just beat The Champion boss. I'm playing as a Cleric, Medium armour 'Harmony' set, and putting all my stats into Faith (primary), Endurance then Vitality.

Kind of regret going a Faith build though, because I'm having trouble finding some good Faith based weapons. I'm using the Clawfinger scythe at the moment, it's a fucking beast damage wise but it's so damn slow. Would love to replace it with a faster swinging Faith weapon, are there any around?

Did you check the back entrance of the citadel? There's a breakable wall and I just found a hammer (for faith builds). It's
right after the "commander"-fight. there's a "bonfire"/ save point. You have to go left (if you go right you'll get to the graveyard)
You have to deal with lots of enemies though (including two or three iron knights)

edit: I'm STR build so I don't know if it's worth it. ^^

Ferr986

I gave up on the game,mainly because it was a rental lol, and I also couldnt beat the Guardian Boss...I was a level 58 Rogue.

I asked last time,what level where you guys when you beat the game...?

I beat it at lvl 57. Agi build with warrior spells. Around 16 hours I think

Sanctuary

The Deception skill tree is so ridiculously bad.

Mimic usually bugs out, combined with the fact that he stands a small distance behind you so it has less reach and doesn't often hit when you need it. The duration of the illusion is rather short and is at best good for 2 or 3 swings in practice.

Stab runs so slowly at its target and doesn't seem to be useful at all against larger enemies, it does poor damage. I guess it's nice that it knocks the enemy down, but for some reason they usually stand up much quicker than when they're normally knocked down.

Shift seems really shit for damage, I have only 1 point into it though, but it's doing less damage than my regular attacks.

Yes, Deception is trash tier. Stab is such a bad version of Ram too, not only because it has a tendancy to miss half of the time if the enemy even blinks, but Ram can hit multiple enemies way easier and does around the same damage. Shift doesn't even seem to increase the damage at all. It's just there to let you backstab or get off a free two-handed jumping attack. At 2/3 later enemies can see right through it, so you need it to be 3/3, which is 21 FTH and not worth it if you're trying to be a "Rogue" like character.

AGI = Solace
STR/FTH = Brawler

If you decide to play NG+ Deception might be worth using for Mimic alone (it's great when you can actually see what's going on).

Also, is there any truth to the "easy = warrior, normal = cleric, hard = rogue" thing? I was going to pick the rogue no matter what (it's always my first choice) but I'm just curious.

Yes. At the beginning at least, and if you are actually trying to remain a lithe, lightly armored character. There's nothing stopping you from donning heavier armor you can find early on, but what you end up with is a "Warrior" with much less burst, who can land backstabs somewhat easier and can riposte (which kind of doesn't matter since there's only one early enemy you can reliably riposte quicker than just backstabbing anyway).

At around level 30 - 35 the Rogue catches up in power, but for really stupid reasons and you also have to have advanced knowledge of the items, spell schools, scaling and weight limitations. So really, if you want more of a "challenge" at the start, pick Rogue. If you want to play a character that actually feels much more like something from any Souls game, pick Warrior and have fun smashing shit with jumping attacks.

You said you didn't want any advice really, but I'm going to tell you this much: save yourself a lot of trouble and pick either of the spell schools that are not Deception (you know, the most "Roguelike" school...). It only has one redeeming thing, and even that is not enough to use it over either of the other two.

ZangBa

Ironically, I am now thanking the game for crashing on me last night. It made me have to re-broadcast my gameplay and saved the final 2 hours of my no checkpoint/leveling playthrough. Twitch is such a piece of garbage that it corrupted half my archive before the crash.

Sanctuary

Ironically, I am now thanking the game for crashing on me last night. It made me have to re-broadcast my gameplay and saved the final 2 hours of my no checkpoint/leveling playthrough. Twitch is such a piece of garbage that it corrupted half my archive before the crash.

How do you even do a no checkpoint run since it affects your potion refills, do you just die for potions and run all the way back?

Yes, Deception is trash tier. Stab is such a bad version of Ram too, not only because it has a tendancy to miss half of the time if the enemy even blinks, but Ram can hit multiple enemies way easier and does around the same damage. Shift doesn't even seem to increase the damage at all. It's just there to let you backstab or get off a free two-handed jumping attack. At 2/3 later enemies can see right through it, so you need it to be 3/3, which is 21 FTH and not worth it if you're trying to be a "Rogue" like character.

AGI = Solace
STR/FTH = Brawler

If you decide to play NG+ Deception might be worth using for Mimic alone (it's great when you can actually see what's going on).

Yes. At the beginning at least, and if you are actually trying to remain a lithe, lightly armored character. There's nothing stopping you from donning heavier armor you can find early on, but what you end up with is a "Warrior" with much less burst, who can land backstabs somewhat easier and can riposte (which kind of doesn't matter since there's only one early enemy you can reliably riposte quicker than just backstabbing anyway).

At around level 30 - 35 the Rogue catches up in power, but for really stupid reasons and you also have to have advanced knowledge of the items, spell schools, scaling and weight limitations. So really, if you want more of a "challenge" at the start, pick Rogue. If you want to play a character that actually feels much more like something from any Souls game, pick Warrior and have fun smashing shit with jumping attacks.

You said you didn't want any advice really, but I'm going to tell you this much: save yourself a lot of trouble and pick either of the spell schools that are not Deception (you know, the most "Roguelike" school...). It only has one redeeming thing, and even that is not enough to use it over either of the other two.

Backstabs are so good in this game. It's much more satisfying than in the souls games imo.

Sanctuary

Backstabs are so good in this game. It's much more satisfying than in the souls games imo.

Not sure what you mean. There's extra animation, but the actual damage is around the same, or less and it just looks brutal in the Souls games. Here, it's STAB, SCRAPE, SCRAPE, SCRAPE, finally found an artery! Unless using a greataxe or something where you just cut into the back of their skull.

You also can't backstab bosses, and a jumping two-handed attack works on everything in the game. The
Infiltrator
is such a dumb fight due to how dagger/claw weapon mechanics work that it becomes 10x easier to simply equip a staff, two hand it and spin inside to finish the fight than it is trying to poke for almost no damage (even in a combo).

ZangBa

How do you even do a no checkpoint run since it affects your potion refills, do you just die for potions and run all the way back?

Yes. In most cases the run back isn't very far, and you can use rifts as like a mini-checkpoint. I didn't very much until the last 2 bosses.

Not sure what you mean. There's extra animation, but the actual damage is around the same, or less and it just looks brutal in the Souls games. Here, it's STAB, SCRAPE, SCRAPE, SCRAPE, finally found an artery! Unless using a greataxe or something where you just cut into the back of their skull.

You also can't backstab bosses, and a jumping two-handed attack works on everything in the game. The
Infiltrator
is such a dumb fight due to how dagger/claw weapon mechanics work that it becomes 10x easier to simply equip a staff, two hand it and spin inside to finish the fight than it is trying to poke for almost no damage (even in a combo).

I don't know, lol. It just feels good and saisfying.
I never used the jumping two-handed attack so far...maybe I should try it but I guess it makes the game too easy?^^

Sanctuary

Yes. In most cases the run back isn't very far, and you can use rifts as like a mini-checkpoint. I didn't very much until the last 2 bosses.

So was there actually a real secret, or was it just the loading screen tip trying to look clever using obvious advice?

I don't know, lol. It just feels good and saisfying.
I never used the jumping two-handed attack so far...maybe I should try it but I guess it makes the game too easy?^^

Jumping two-handed R2 attacks are really only worth using with STR weapons, and to a lesser extent FTH (there are a few that do well with FTH in that regard, but the range is still much smaller). AGI weapons (dagger/claw/short sword) don't really seem to benefit at all since you're just dual-wielding and your jumping attack is still just hitting with one hand. You can do "okay" jumping attacks with staves, but they are a lot riskier. There's one AGI weapon you can find around halfway through the game that makes it feel kind of like a STR weapon, but when two-handing it, the damage doesn't really seem to scale nearly as well.

ZangBa

So was there actually a real secret, or was it just the loading screen tip trying to look clever using obvious advice?

Either the 5 attribute shards I used were against the rules or it's bullshit. I'm leaning towards bullshit. It was still fun, though.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
So, my game is broken :(

Got to the
Planetarium
, and died near the top of the stairs just as I killed the last enemy.

Now
Kaslo (or whatever monk)
just continually walks in the same place. Tried restarting, new checkpoint blah blah and nothing. According to my internet research this has happened to other folks and there's no fixing it.

Well, fuck this game, what a broken piece of shit. I'm pretty cheesed. I was definitely digging the game up until this nonsense.

Total waste of time.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
I am playing this on Xb1 and is anyone else having an issue with washed out or too-high gamma? The menus and everything look fine and sharp but when I get into the actual game it just washed out and I can't even fix it via the gamma setting. For giggles I put it on the PC color space which made everything super dark in the dashboard and even the game menus but the game still looked awful.

Not sure if it's just the xbox itself running the game terribly or not. I am surprised it looks this bad actually, and I seem to be really sensitive to it. I got it from Gamefly so I may try to get the PS4 version to compare. Or not. One of my most anticipated games this fall and this just stinks.

I was using this one-handed axe for the longest time, but just switched to a one-handed sword that does a bit less damage. The sword is a good bit lighter and strikes much faster. Big improvement.

romulus91

I am playing this on Xb1 and is anyone else having an issue with washed out or too-high gamma? The menus and everything look fine and sharp but when I get into the actual game it just washed out and I can't even fix it via the gamma setting. For giggles I put it on the PC color space which made everything super dark in the dashboard and even the game menus but the game still looked awful.

Not sure if it's just the xbox itself running the game terribly or not. I am surprised it looks this bad actually, and I seem to be really sensitive to it. I got it from Gamefly so I may try to get the PS4 version to compare. Or not. One of my most anticipated games this fall and this just stinks.

nah dude , have the ps4 version and sometimes it looks washed/out bright... iv turned the gamma down but some areas look amazing and crisp compared to others .. i dn

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Just beat the third boss, pretty easy. How far in to the game am I and when can I start using runes? Also, is the Catacombs optional? Should I try to clear it now or leave it for later?

yatesl

With the achievements - is there any reason for NG+? I know there's a beat with warrior, beat with rogue, beat with Mage. Can you switch, or do you need 3 separate saves?

Top Bottom