• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen |OT| We don't praise the sun around here

BumRush

Beat the game. 20 hours according to Steam. Really enjoyed it despite the flaws.

What it did right:

- Feel of the combat. Everything had heft and purpose and when your weapon made contact with an enemy it was satisfying. Definitely a step up from Dark Souls.

- A decent variety of loot.

- A well laid out menu system that was easy to navigate

- The Warrior class was fun and I ended up being a walking Death God by the end so that was satisfying.

- Graphics are simply amazing. Overall the best looking game this year (although The Vanishing of Ethan Carter has a better aesthetic) and easily the best lighting engine I've ever seen. Bloodborne's going to have to do something special to top LotF graphic wise although it will be better from an art direction point of view.

- Sound design and music. High quality audio effects and music helped with the atmosphere.

- Playing in effectively one big are that over the course of the game you unlock short cuts was really neat and remined me of Dark Souls but...

What needs improvement::

- ... A much wider variety of locations would have really helped to make the game more interesting.

- Stability. This game was a mess at launch and would crash over and over again. Turning off Nvidia Turbulence and the subsequent patches definitely fixed most of that for me thankfully.

- Story. The overall idea was decent but the execution was ham-fisted and the overall story beats too vague.

- The magic system in this game was far too under-cooked. Needed more variety both mechanically and aesthetically.

- Camera and lock-on. Whoo boy, did this drive me batty. Lock on would only really work if there was only one enemy in the near vicinity and even then my attacks sometimes wouldn't register despite clearly making contact. There was even occasions I would do a leaping finishing blow that would slow-down time and still not register! To make matters worse, enemy attacks would hit me despite being out of the way at times. Dark Souls 2 had this problem as well.

- Voice acting ranged from decent to bad and the very poor facial animation didn't help things at all.

- Audio placement issues with some sounds being crammed in the rear channels (an enemies death scream for example)

Overall, a game with a solid foundation that could easily be improved on with a sequel. I really hope the game sells well enough not only for a follow-up but one with a bigger budget allowing for more scope and grandeur.

In my top 3 for Games of the Year, behind The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Dark Souls 2.

For a second I wondered if I had created a drunk alt account that I didn't remember and typed all of this. I had the same exact impressions of the game.

I'm loving the hell out of this game (scratching a certain kind of itch while I wait for Bloodborne), but I've heard it's really short. I've just cleared
the Catacombs
. About how far into the game am I?

Blu10

I'm loving the hell out of this game (scratching a certain kind of itch while I wait for Bloodborne), but I've heard it's really short. I've just cleared
the Catacombs
. About how far into the game am I?

Depends... Did you accidently stumble across it earlier than you should have? There are 10 lords.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
The game is alright. Kinda fun, sometimes infuriating. I got it at release but I'm still only eight hours in. There seems to be a new game I need to try that comes between all the time – Advance Warfare, Shadow Warrior and now Far Cry 4.

When will I ever be able to take the time to play through this?!

HeelPower

FUCK YOU Guardian!!!

He's actually fairly simple when you figure out how to beat him.

But man this enemy really doesn't fit the game's general direction.

You attacks are extremely slow and rolling sucks..Yet you have to deal with this spammy enemy.Its just not that good of a design.

Also for shits and giggles.

yY9tSMN.jpg

What it did right:

- Feel of the combat. Everything had heft and purpose and when your weapon made contact with an enemy it was satisfying. Definitely a step up from Dark Souls.

Its doesn't hold a candle to dark souls...not even remotely close.

The sluggish attacks and movements this game went ends up falling flat on its face imo.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm playing Dark Souls II again after a small break, and I agree. It feels so much nicer and smoother. LotF's controls aren't bad, but compared to Souls they're kinda clunky.

I've just finished my second play through. Here's stuff I've noted/run into so far.

• I've noticed screen tearing 2 or 3 times, I usually have an eye for this so it's not too bad (Dark Souls 2 is bad for this)
  • The lower resolution is noticable on a 50" Plasma, but still good looking
  • Framerate really sucks in a couple areas, sub 30s - but seems to be better for the late half of the game (around 30)
  • Lock on targetting is sketchy, this is probably across all platforms
  • Voices and certain sounds simply stopped working a couple times, restarting the game fixed this (Not missing much though since the voice acting is terribad)
  • Sometimes when getting hit or switching lock targets, the game will freeze for a split second - not game breaking but has caused me a couple deaths
  • Game has crashed once when I started to load up my second play through, no crashes while actually playing though
Being a developer myself, I don't trust the state resuming that XB1 does, variables can easily get out of whack, etc - so, whenever I finish a session, I save at a crystal, quit to main menu, go to dashboard and quit the game. Maybe this has prevented me running into the crashes others talk about, maybe not.

Just catching up on the thread and wanted to say thanks for this post :)

Whats the best way to acquire flawless luck runes? Can you get them from small runes, or do they have to be large ones? Is it worth investing XP for each roll? Should I just roll everything I have, and then load up the last save if I don't get any?

Also, what weapon would I be better off slotting, My Axe or Codex?

Edit: Damn, this community died within 3 weeks of release. Sucks for me getting late on the train...

HeelPower

is there any guide to the keys,chests and doors in the game ?

Got key to a door and chests...Its just too tiresome to look around for them without a map.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So uh... I killed that
big-ass monster, thinking it was the Annihilator, and thinking it'd give me a boss fight. Except it didn't and now I look like a bigger asshole than ever. Yay?

The story and dialogue is so fucking bad. Can't believe they insisted on this stupid character instead of giving us a character creator, it wouldn't have changed anything. Anyway, I think I'm close to the end now, got the cut scene with
Adyr blabbing forever about stupid crap ("there is no good without evil", really? could you guys be more cliché? lol)
, and I tried fighting the brothers but the stupid game crashed on me in the middle of the boss fight. Grrrrr.... I think my game is bugged too. I set a life-draining rune on my blast gauntlet, and it works on the lightning brother but not the fire one for some reason? Lame. Also very annoying how pretty much every small attack they do stagger me despite having medium/heavy armour. I wouldn't mind fighting these two with a Souls-like control scheme, but with this atrocious roll, this is a pain in the ass.

Also holy shit at the screen tearing in the Planetarium. I didn't notice much of it during the game but it was absolutely eye-gouging at this part for some reason. >_<

Ferr986

Whats the best way to acquire flawless luck runes? Can you get them from small runes, or do they have to be large ones? Is it worth investing XP for each roll? Should I just roll everything I have, and then load up the last save if I don't get any?

Also, what weapon would I be better off slotting, My Axe or Codex?

Edit: Damn, this community died within 3 weeks of release. Sucks for me getting late on the train...

You can just restart the game if you open a rune and its not what you wanted. Flawless luck runes only comes from the big runes.

I guess the community died because its a really short game. Not only there isnt any online mode, the campaign is really short and theres not much content.

Denton

Decided to buy this when I saw it for 25 euros.

So far I actually like it a lot. I finished both Dark Souls games, and eventhough Lords are not as good, they are still good on their own terms, and better than I would expect, given the developer's history. It runs and looks great too, I get some 40-60fps with everything maxed in 1080p, and somehow it looks very smooth all the time. I am using borderless windowed so no drops and no tearing. Haven't encountered any bugs or crashes, it is perfectly polished now. And sue me, but I actually prefer the look of the game with chromatic abberation enabled.
11 hours in, just visited Planetarium, really pretty. The combat has that sense of impact that I enjoy, controls work well..

My main gripes would be the story not being very interesting (putting it a bit mildly) and the invisible walls.

oh wow so they fixed tearing on PS4?

I liked the gameplay but couldnt play this game due to the tearing, but kept it waiting for that time

but wow bad timing in sense I just playing DAI, which looks gorgeous on PS4

Denton

Took me 20 hours.
In the 20 hours, I have:
- never had a single crash
- never seen a single bug
- never had a single framedrop

What I did have was a great fun. It is an easier game than Dark Souls (I finished both DS games), I finished most bosses pretty quickly. And yeah bosses are not as memorable as in DS games, mostly consisting of humanoid knights. But they were fun to fight anyway.
The level design is pretty good. I enjoyed exploring it and the graphics is amazing (played maxed, but without nvidia turbulence stuff since I have AMD 280X).

Considering the likely low budget and zero experience of the developers with this kind of game, I am super impressed with what they achieved and I hope they will keep this quality and improve upon in for the future games.

If there are some nitpicks..I did not like many invisible walls, and I am still not fan of the art style. I do not hate it, but I do prefer more realistic style of Witcher / DS games. This is subjective though.

As for the Denuovo anti-tamper, I had zero issues with it. Would never know it is there if it wasn't for the internet making a huge fuss of everything.

BTW the version I played was on PC/Steam, got it for 25 euros.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I beat the game as well, yesterday. Barely started NG+ but then my Dark Souls II coop friend came online so I played that instead... and holy shit is the movement so much faster and smoother, haha. People complaining that DkSII was slow and stiff compared to past games have not played LotF. xD I actually fell off a bridge once because I was not expecting the speed of movement, to our mutual hilarity.

The PS4 version is grossly under-optimized, sadly. Framerate is generally worse than non-Blighttown Dark Souls and kinda chugs almost the whole game through (this is coming from someone who doesn't mind Dark Souls's framerate for the most part, by the way, I'm not that sensitive to FPS drops...!), it crashed at least once for me, and while they apparently fixed the tearing, there's one section where it's massive (the uppermost level of the Planetarium). It has a couple of minor glitches too, but I didn't see experience anything gamebreaking, luckily.

It's a fun game, but it really is Souls lite. There is literally nothing in the game that improves anything at all over the Souls games, it's pretty much inferior (to varying degrees, sometimes minor, sometimes major) in every aspect except the graphics (which is a given, considering the generation gap). It scratched the itch for an aRPG, at least, and the environments are very nice-looking. To its credit, it was fun enough that I'll probably buy the DLC, but that's 'cause I'm always starving for more third-person hack-and-slash RPGs. :)

Denton

Maybe because there have been 3 patches on PC. Console owners are still waiting for a patch, which should be coming soony.

Oh definitely. I am glad I didn't buy on launch. Got perfectly polished game for half the price with just few weeks of waiting. Too bad about console certs delaying everything.

I just picked this game up as Steam has a sale on it right now! I got it for $30.00.

I was wanting to get it because I am so disappointed with DA:I (one of the few that don't like it).

Hoping for the best..

HowZatOZ

Banned
I expect a fair few people to be jumping in now that it is on the Steam sale, so do rummage through the OP for previous help including any graphical tweaks. If you have any questions don't be scared to ask, we don't bite :)

Hmm.. just played the first section of the game and beat the boss (after dying several times). I'm very impressed with what I'm seeing so far. Game looks like a big leap over DS2 in the graphics department retaining all of the shadowed lighting and volume FX as well as having a near perfect match of animation and physics compared to DS2. Controls appear the same as DS2 (I haven't noticed any problems yet). And the story is easily better than the former. I loved DS1 -- finished it at over 106hrs. Didn't enjoy DS2 as much (clocked in 81hrs and never finished it). This game is a welcome RPG treat for me!

WMxZ8a.png

kim3bj.png

4YWcw0.png

Volume lighting and particle FX abound in this game. I also like the screen-space reflections on the armor.

In the hour in 15 minutes that I've played, I seem to enjoy this game more than DA:I (which was quite frankly so boring I uninstalled it.)

zeox

Played for about an hour and have had two crashes so far :/. Other than that, the game seems pretty cool. Fairly easy, but I'm guessing that'll ramp up during the progression

Kalavaras

Banned
The final boss just ruined it for me, no way I'm going for NG+. Before that every upgrade felt good and actually changed the ways how I faced some encounters. The most memorable moments were getting the Quake spell and the unique scythe weapon that had a projectile sort of R2. Then this Megasatan shows up and ruins it all. All the gear I was wearing became useless and it was just a boring and repetitive test of reflexes and memorization. I'm sure Ornstein and Smough back in the day killed me a million times more than this bitch but still this was way more frustrating.

Overall the game was ok. Played it on PS4 and had a few crashes. I even got a flashback of the awesome WiiU vuvuzela crashes when the game sounds went crazy. Fps was terribad but meh, I dealt with it. The game was quite short though, I think I completed in 13 hours. Didn't check every area 100%.

Ferr986

Hmm.. just played the first section of the game and beat the boss (after dying several times). I'm very impressed with what I'm seeing so far. Game looks like a big leap over DS2 in the graphics department retaining all of the shadowed lighting and volume FX as well as having a near perfect match of animation and physics compared to DS2. Controls appear the same as DS2 (I haven't noticed any problems yet). And the story is easily better than the former. I loved DS1 -- finished it at over 106hrs. Didn't enjoy DS2 as much (clocked in 81hrs and never finished it). This game is a welcome RPG treat for me!

Volume lighting and particle FX abound in this game. I also like the screen-space reflections on the armor.

In the hour in 15 minutes that I've played, I seem to enjoy this game more than DA:I (which was quite frankly so boring I uninstalled it.)

Controls are good but not as good as DS2. Especially rolling. Rolling sucks here.

This game is ass compared to Mordor. It does things well but the deeper u get, the worst this title gets unfortunately. Worst part of the game is not many builds are viable.

I don't know if I agree with that. I love Mordor.. but it's shallow in it's gameplay. LoTF already has more to offer by being an RPG. The builds may be very simple, but at least you can choose 3. It's not really fair to compare this game to SoM as one is an action-adventure and the other is a paperweight RPG (similar to DS).

Conezays

Kind of tempted to check this game out as a Souls-aholic, but still have the DS2 DLC's to complete (only finished 1st).

Would you recommend getting this or just sticking to the DLC and waiting for Bloodborne?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The final boss just ruined it for me, no way I'm going for NG+. Before that every upgrade felt good and actually changed the ways how I faced some encounters. The most memorable moments were getting the Quake spell and the unique scythe weapon that had a projectile sort of R2. Then this Megasatan shows up and ruins it all. All the gear I was wearing became useless and it was just a boring and repetitive test of reflexes and memorization. I'm sure Ornstein and Smough back in the day killed me a million times more than this bitch but still this was way more frustrating.
Huh? I killed the last boss in one try... and I was using a "rogue", supposedly the hard mode.

Overall the game was ok. Played it on PS4 and had a few crashes. I even got a flashback of the awesome WiiU vuvuzela crashes when the game sounds went crazy. Fps was terribad but meh, I dealt with it. The game was quite short though, I think I completed in 13 hours. Didn't check every area 100%.
...Maybe that's why you were underpowered for the last boss? I dunno...

Kind of tempted to check this game out as a Souls-aholic, but still have the DS2 DLC's to complete (only finished 1st).

Would you recommend getting this or just sticking to the DLC and waiting for Bloodborne?
Depends on how much play time you get, but... why not both? Bloodborne is only coming out in March after all. If you only have time for the DLCs or LotF until then, though, then the Dark Souls II DLC wins by far.

Conezays

Huh? I killed the last boss in one try... and I was using a "rogue", supposedly the hard mode.

...Maybe that's why you were underpowered for the last boss? I dunno...

Depends on how much play time you get, but... why not both? Bloodborne is only coming out in March after all. If you only have time for the DLCs or LotF until then, though, then the Dark Souls II DLC wins by far.

Thanks for the reply. More of a question of will power against these Steam sales, I suppose :p

Guess I was just wondering how other Souls fans felt the game stacked up in comparison.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Well it's a decent title, I was not disappointed but my expectations were not sky-high either. I expected Souls lite and that's pretty much exactly what I got.

FWIW I wrote a longer review-like post on another forum over there, if you're interested in more details (spoiler-free).

Louis010

Banned
Okay people are going to hate my opinion on this so I'm ready for it.

I'm in the unique position where I played lords of the fallen before dark souls... And I prefer lords of the fallen. Quick disclaimer, I haven't finished either yet, picked them both up in steam sales, have around 10 hours played on lof and 4 on ds.

The combat feel powerful and has more weight too it. It feels more like you are controlling an actual person than just a computer character, I love having a turn speed and rolling being slower, swings feel much more powerful and the longer combat goes on the heavier harkyn starts breathing heavy which is a nice touch. I also love exploring the monastery and finding secrets or stronger enemy's and getting my ass handed too me.

Meanwhile dark souls just feels like a ps2 game in all honesty, there is no weight to combat, how the character runs reminds me of cj, and everything feels blurred . Also this game was released in 2011 wasn't it? I'm not one who is hugely bothered about graphics but why does it look so bad? It looks like a late ps2 game/early ps3 game, everything is blurred, low res texures and suffers from everything being brown or black (I know that was a trend at the time so can't blame them for that.) Also the hud and menus are so bad and cluttered, why do I need 4 huge boxes just to show me what weapons I have equipped on my screen all the time?

Anyway on lords of the fallen I have just entered
the passageway
and it feels like the games opened up massively. Did anybody else go to
the catacombs
by accident before going there like I did? I got half way through and kept dying by one shot spiders and stuff and wondered what was going on. I can see me playing through this game multiple times, if the voice acting was so jarring and bad this would be my GOTY.

Anyway back to dark souls I do understand that at the time there was no other game like it (apart from demon's souls) and without it lords of the fallen wouldn't exist but I just find it a superior game. Yeah. Brace for impact. Dont hate me GAF.

I am using the Rogue, and I am having a very low equipment load (I unequipped most armor pieces). It is just faster that way but the mechanics of attacks (active frames, startup and hitboxes) are fishy and not always on point; they are ridiculous at times. It looks like the game doesn't like you to use specific playstyles and builds.

I am having fun so far, even though I don't like (supposedly) slow games. I thought I wouldn't like it at first, judging from footage, but most people were equipping heavy armor and complaining about how rolling and movement sucks; I am not fond of the i-frames and start up of rolling though, and run+jump being assigned to one button is stupid.

As for performance, I turned off chromashit, Nvidia turbulence and V-sync, and I set everything to very high except for shadows; I noticed that post-processing is set to high in the ini file. The game ran in an acceptable way (55-85 FPS) until I reached some point in the game were devs did not implement proper LOD optimization and I've got FPS drops down to sub 40 FPS. The game looks really nice, but it can look dull in some places, and there is no Anti Aliasing settings.

Speaking of AA, I tried SweetFX and eFX. I got all shaders to work except for SMAA. So I tried Nvidia's FXAA through the Nvidia inspector and it did a nice job in eliminating some jaggies.

Overall, I like the game, but I hope that developers will take into consideration some of the feedback regarding optimization and game mechanics. I'd like the game to be faster and more responsive (there is noticeable input lag and "weight" to the game), and I would like to see better enemy animations and less ridiculous instant startup large-hitbox shenanigans. Hopefully we will see a polished sequel or a similar game--the genre has very few games aside from the souls series.

I don't know if I agree with that. I love Mordor.. but it's shallow in it's gameplay. LoTF already has more to offer by being an RPG. The builds may be very simple, but at least you can choose 3. It's not really fair to compare this game to SoM as one is an action-adventure and the other is a paperweight RPG (similar to DS).

LOTF has more to offer, my problem being it doesn't deliver. My main problem with the game is...

I am using the Rogue, and I am having a very low equipment load (I unequipped most armor pieces). It is just faster that way but the mechanics of attacks (active frames, startup and hitboxes) are fishy and not always on point; they are ridiculous at times. It looks like the game doesn't like you to use specific playstyles and builds.

The game is fun, but the genre needs a measure of precision that is clearly missing here. It's fun for a while but as the game gets harder, the lack of polish and precision really stands out. Then what's the point of having builds if 1 is greater than the others? There's no balance between the classes. I tried to love the game for what it is, it just sours on me the more I play.

The game is fun, but the genre needs a measure of precision that is clearly missing here. It's fun for a while but as the game gets harder, the lack of polish and precision really stands out. Then what's the point of having builds if 1 is greater than the others? There's no balance between the classes. I tried to love the game for what it is, it just sours on me the more I play.

I'm not in the later part of the game yet, but what I've been playing doesn't seem too far from DS2. I understand the speed of swing that sword might be a put off, but as someone said, it really feels powerful as hell. Still enjoying it so far..

Shit, completely forgot about this game.

It for some reason runs like such complete shit now it's not even worth trying, plus i'm at an insanely boring boss, atleast for my rogue character. Will get back when and finish it when i get my new GPU. But after thinking about it i don't know if i've really been enjoying the game that much, i mostly played it cause its the closest i can get to a Souls game atm without playing said Souls game. Literally every bossfight except the first was "it'll get better" but it never really did.

idunno, 6/10 i guess.

Cerity

Is there any way to manually pick out the post proccessing options? Hate it when games just give you an option for it and not seperate options for what it could cover.

Top Bottom