• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

Did any of you guys see naked Trump in LA?

No but I want to.

I saw Guns N Roses at Dodgers Stadium last night, pretty cool set, lot of people there.

Also I went to Button Mash last night afterwards... that place kind of sucks. What's the appeal? One of the lower tiered barcades I've been to, however I've been spoiled as I used to live in Portland with Ground Kontrol.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
LA GAF, the folks are coming to visit soon and they love checking out restaurants.

I'm in Santa Monica so hoping to do a mix of west side + elsewhere. Not necessarily east side but downtown, mid-city, BH, WH, etc are cool. I have a few thoughts-- Kali, Nobu Malibu, Paley, 71 Above-- but would love to hear some recommendations and/ or thoughts on any of these I listed :)

Cassia in Santa Monica.

Haven't tried 71 Above but want to, chef is legit, view would be great.

Mid-city lunch options: Baroo (a thousand times Baroo), and Republique for more brunchy-ness. I hear Odys and Penelope has a killer brunch now too (also great for dinner).

Can't go wrong with Jon & Vinny's places Animal/J&V's/Son of a Gun/Petit Trois.

Probably too late for a Bestia reservation downtown.

Fishing with Dynamite down in Manhattan Beach.

No but I want to.

I saw Guns N Roses at Dodgers Stadium last night, pretty cool set, lot of people there.

Also I went to Button Mash last night afterwards... that place kind of sucks. What's the appeal? One of the lower tiered barcades I've been to, however I've been spoiled as I used to live in Portland with Ground Kontrol.

Uh, did you try the food? I mean, it's cramped, but solid and the food is terrific.

Uh, did you try the food? I mean, it's cramped, but solid and the food is terrific.

I had nachos which were pretty good. You're probably right I could have tried more food given the restaurant is a major focus, but I don't really like that aspect of it as it doesn't encourage socializing like most barcades I have been to.

Part of me also wishes they didn't strictly restrict themselves to 2D games either. Virtua Cop, F-Zero Arcade, Mario Kart Arcade, Time Crisis, House of Dead, etc. should never be ignored in arcades. But I suppose they are limited a bit from size on that.

beat

LA GAF, the folks are coming to visit soon and they love checking out restaurants.

I'm in Santa Monica so hoping to do a mix of west side + elsewhere. Not necessarily east side but downtown, mid-city, BH, WH, etc are cool. I have a few thoughts-- Kali, Nobu Malibu, Paley, 71 Above-- but would love to hear some recommendations and/ or thoughts on any of these I listed :)

In downtown, for food, Eggslut if you can get there at 8 am or like very very long lineups. In Chinatown, Chego, and also within the same plaza, Pok Pok and Howlin' Rays are trendy. I haven't been to the latter two yet. Check the websites before you go, some are closed Monday or Tuesday. There's also a western Chinese (as in Western China, not Chinese-American) place that does a nice liang pi.

Separate question: is there any place in town, preferably near Koreatown, where I could get PS3 controllers fixed? I'm pretty sure what happened was I forgot to charge them for a long time and now they need their batteries replaced.

Anyone ever been to the 626 Night Market in Arcadia (there's also one in OC)

My friends and I are going tonight and just wondering if anyone has recommendations on what to eat.

Its the last day so I'm already expecting it to be overcrowded more than usual.

golem

My friends and I are going tonight and just wondering if anyone has recommendations on what to eat.

Yes its crazy crowded. Dont remember in particular what food trucks were there except for this one mini donut stand that made them on the spot lol. Enjoy the stinky tofu ;)

Any folks in SFV here? I have game nights on Fri. nights at my place in Sherman Oaks. We're down to 3 regulars including me. I'm opening it up to 1-2 people since nothing beats 4 player+ games. We play everything, basically. Big plus if you're decent at fighting games. PM me if interested. We should meet up beforehand, of course. GAF is usually chill peeps but you never know.

Zyzyxxz

Honestly I think its a mess of an event, poorly organized and the food quality is wildly inconsistent since some of the vendors don't know how to deal with lines.

beat

Honestly I think its a mess of an event, poorly organized and the food quality is wildly inconsistent since some of the vendors don't know how to deal with lines.

That's super sad. I went to the first one in 2012 and it was clear most of the vendors had no idea of what to expect. Some of them were cooking on home kitchen sized pans! There was no way they could cover the volume they got that night. Anyways, for a variety of reasons I haven't managed to make it back since then, but I would have assumed vendors would have figured it out by now.

Zyzyxxz

That's super sad. I went to the first one in 2012 and it was clear most of the vendors had no idea of what to expect. Some of them were cooking on home kitchen sized pans! There was no way they could cover the volume they got that night. Anyways, for a variety of reasons I haven't managed to make it back since then, but I would have assumed vendors would have figured it out by now.

the management doesn't work with them to ensure they have what they need to produce food. Its basically one guy taking all the money and not reinvesting it.

Exactly why I never make it out to food festivals. I don't like to wait in line for anything I'm paying for. I wanna give you my hard earned money, take it now, why have me wait. My time is more valuable.

What are some cheap but decent hotels near West Hollywood? My girls bday is today and we'll be at a rooftop bar in West Hollywood and I don't want to drive back to the IE intoxicated. Thanks

Zyzyxxz

What are some cheap but decent hotels near West Hollywood? My girls bday is today and we'll be at a rooftop bar in West Hollywood and I don't want to drive back to the IE intoxicated. Thanks

Dam thats a drive.

there's plenty of motels and small hotels if you are willing to uber.

I'm going in 10 days, I'm scared of blowing all my money :D

Are beaches viable this time of the year? I want to chill on the beach and get some good eats afterwards.

Also my buddy needs halal options, is there lots of choices for him?

golem

Shake Shack's all right. It's not amazing but it's worth a visit.

I went to the one in Vegas and had the same thought. Decent burger, but not anything to get excited over. I think I prefer Five Guys in fact.

I'm going in 10 days, I'm scared of blowing all my money :D

Are beaches viable this time of the year? I want to chill on the beach and get some good eats afterwards.

Also my buddy needs halal options, is there lots of choices for him?

The water should still be fine. The weather is cooling a bit but still mid to high 70s or so down by the shore

joebruin

So I just got my big ass voting packet for the general election (its like 200 pages!). Thought this quote was kind of amusing considering where I'm posting this.

California voters will be asked on Nov. 8 to sort through the longest list of statewide propositions since the PlayStation 2 was on the market and the St. Louis Rams won the Super Bowl.

Trying to make a informed decision but this is kind of reaching tl;dr territory for me. I feel like the short summaries/Pro and Con pages probably aren't giving me the whole pictures lol What should I vote for? Or is this post more appropriate for politigaf OT? :D

Zyzyxxz

So I just got my big ass voting packet for the general election (its like 200 pages!). Thought this quote was kind of amusing considering where I'm posting this.

Trying to make a informed decision but this is kind of reaching tl;dr territory for me. I feel like the short summaries/Pro and Con pages probably aren't giving me the whole pictures lol What should I vote for? Or is this post more appropriate for politigaf OT? :D

http://www.scpr.org/news/2016/10/03/65230/time-to-cram-california-s-17-ballot-measure-propos/

hope this helps you

JEKKI

question: anybody know anything about Trial By Written Declaration?

coz if there's one thing more BS than a $650 traffic ticket, it's trying to figure out how to actually pay or not pay the damn thing >_< seriously, this is super confusing...

like all I want is a PS4 but cant afford one :(

now this cop gives me a ticket that costs more than two PS4s -_-

JEKKI

Ticketassassin.com

They have tons of info.
ah shit the assassin?? thanks yo.

still, man this process is BS... apparently I still gotta pay my $650 and it only gets refunded if I'm not guilty.

FFS I make like $0.01 a month in interest off that $650 in my savings account... think of all the money I'll be missing out on during the 4~5 months they hold onto my cash

ah shit the assassin?? thanks yo.

still, man this process is BS... apparently I still gotta pay my $650 and it only gets refunded if I'm not guilty.

FFS I make like $0.01 a month in interest off that $650 in my savings account... think of all the money I'll be missing out on during the 4~5 months they hold onto my cash
To be fair, I did trial by written declaration twice and lost both times. One of those times, when I did the in-person trial after, the cop didn't show, and the other time he did show, so I asked for traffic school.

I doubt they even read the declarations. It's just to buy more time/chances.

Blunoise

Hey guys tell me what echo park is like for a black male/web Developer, who likes hip things, hip people, diversity, close proximity to other cool places, and likes a lot of activities?

Thanks

Btw I am moving from Atlanta

JLG-

Hey guys tell me what echo park is like for a black male/web Developer, who likes hip things, hip people, diversity, close proximity to other cool places, and likes a lot of activities?

Thanks

Btw I am moving from Atlanta

You'll fit right in.

rickyson1

going to LA in a few days any thoughts on my restaurant choices?

planning on these as of now:

Kang Ho Dong Baekjeong
Guisados(West Hollywood)
Howlin’ Ray’s
Raffi’s Place

beat

going to LA in a few days any thoughts on my restaurant choices?

planning on these as of now:

Kang Ho Dong Baekjeong
Guisados(West Hollywood)
Howlin’ Ray’s
Raffi’s Place

Make sure you don't go when Howlin' Ray's is closed, and even when you do go, plan for maybe an hour in line.

Tried http://786degrees.com/restaurant/ pizza tonight in Sun Valley. It's an award winning pizza place but a hole in the wall. Owner is a charismatic dude who runs his business in a Yelp-centric way. If its your first time they offer you free water/soda while you wait. They won't take your money until you try the pizza first. Even if you ask for take out they encourage you to try it fresh from the oven. They don't even offer delivery. As for the pizza, it was excellent. Freshest of ingredients and baked in an imported oven from Naples.

y3njpTw.jpg

Top Bottom