• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

Kevtones

Some restaurants I've been to recently:

MidiCi in Sherman Oaks - ace pizza spot. Vegan marguerite was delicious too.

Deli Mex in Van Nuys - wtf the veggie burrito here is magic. Perfect size. Wtf go.

Chateau Lemongrass in Eagle Rock - in my hood and easily the best Vegan Pho in the city. They do the tofu to perfection.

JEKKI

Nooooooooo~!!!! I am angry!!

again!!

basically,

I went to Rancho Cucamonga for the Monoprice warehouse sale to buy a guitar, which I did, for $50, it was great, all according to plan IMO.

that's not why I'm mad!

I'm mad coz I went to Ontario Mills afterwards to check out the Gameworks and they got rid of the Outrun machine!!

the huge azz 8 player Outrun 2 SP SDX machine! aka the best game ever turned into one of the best arcade machines ever! (or is it the other way around? that the game was based on the arcade?)

22820070811230825.jpg

it's gone!

and not just that, but the smaller Outrun 2 SP machine as well!! that entire arcade is now Outrun-less!!

I am pissed yo!

they had one in Vegas before at the gameworks, but I don't think there's a Gameworks in Vegas anymore... hasn't been for a few years?

There was one at a Gameworks somewhere close to Phoenix I saw maybe 3 yrs ago, but if Ontario gameworks got rid of their machine I'd imagine the one in AZ is gone as well?

;_;

this machine is last of a dying breed! I need to find another one now!! It's my 2017 goal!

To be fair, I did trial by written declaration twice and lost both times. One of those times, when I did the in-person trial after, the cop didn't show, and the other time he did show, so I asked for traffic school.

I doubt they even read the declarations. It's just to buy more time/chances.
whaaaaaaat?!?! so when the cop doesnt show up, it means you still win right?

and why would you choose traffic school? does that allow you to avoid insurance rate increases or paying the full ticket amount?

And did you use the assassin? Or write the explanation on your own? I read on another website you shouldn't even put any details on the written declaration, just say "I stand by my plea of not guilty" or something like that.

I haven't submitted my form yet, just a letter requesting they send it to me. My due date is 11/19 so I'll send my form the monday of that week if I do not get a response back from the court.

jdavid459

hey LA gaf ,

I recently visited the city as well as SF and I got to say I surprisingly liked LA better. More diverse, exciting and seemed to be a lot more to do. Is there any similar tech scene as there clearly is in SF in LA? What areas in LA has these types of jobs and is there typically semi-affordable apartments in the areas (compared to SF/NYC)?

golem

hey LA gaf ,

I recently visited the city as well as SF and I got to say I surprisingly liked LA better. More diverse, exciting and seemed to be a lot more to do. Is there any similar tech scene as there clearly is in SF in LA? What areas in LA has these types of jobs and is there typically semi-affordable apartments in the areas (compared to SF/NYC)?

Smart man. There are plenty of tech companies in LA, mostly on the Westside. Google, Hulu, Netflix, Yahoo (haha), Snapchat, etc. Media companies also need plenty of tech work-- Disney, FOX, DirecTV, etc etc. Also many gaming companies if that's your thing.. Sony Santa Monica, Riot Games, EA, Insomniac :p, Activision, Blizzard (in the OC), Cloud Imperium etc

JEKKI

Gameworks Vegas moved from the strip to Town Square Mall.
aw man, yah I saw that on their site too,

also saw there's no more one in AZ

time for Vegas trip soon then.

if I'm lucky, I'll get to play an hour of Outrun after playing 4 hours of real outrun getting there.

Anyone march or protest over the weekend? We marched Saturday and had a great experience-- excellent crowd, good energy, peaceful-- plus it gave me a chance to walk from MacArthur Park to the federal building downtown :)

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Went to Howlin' Rays today. ~80-90 minute wait, but the sandwich was huge. Their heat tiers run about 1-1.5 tiers hotter than usual; my wife got a medium and it felt around a hot to her, I got a hot and it felt around an extra hot to me. Hot tasted like habanero and sriracha up-front with an after-bite that makes me think they added ghost chilis. Unlimited peach tea refills. Tasted great. I would definitely eat there again but I don't think I'd wait 90 minutes next time.

Lots of people in line got Chego while they were waiting--and in addition there's a pretty hot looking Taiwanese street food place upstairs, an ice cream place about half-way through the line, and a decent looking bau place next to Howlin' Rays.

yeah. Howlin' Rays is interesting.

I had them before they had their permanent space and were a pop-up. I wasn't super impressed. I think their oil had run a little cold, and so things weren't as crisp as they should've been. The sides didn't do it for me, and I ordered hot and it was nuclear.

When they went permanent, they dropped all the heat, the Hot I order is now extra hot, and the medium became the hot.

What's crazy is the difference in flavor between medium and hot. I like the Medium a lot, and the Hot is good too, burns way more, and tastes completely different. I think that's a bit weird.

The sides are way better from the permanent location, as is the consistency of the chicken. I didn't get the hype when they opened based on my pre-opening experience, but now that I've been to the actual place it's all I can fantasize about.

Insomniac closes on Wednesday for the break, I plan to hit that up at least a couple times before they go on break from the 24th-3rd (god dammit! this is prime Hot Chicken time guys!)

broz0rs

Lots of people in line got Chego while they were waiting--and in addition there's a pretty hot looking Taiwanese street food place upstairs, an ice cream place about half-way through the line, and a decent looking bau place next to Howlin' Rays.

I believe that's Bauhaus, which is owned by Eddie Huang the inspiration for the Fresh off the Boat TV show.

I remember I scoffed at when Chego moved into that Plaza, but the train keeps on rolling with amazing food joints opening up around Chinatown.

Only bad thing about Culver City really is the police, they are known to hassle POCs.

For serious? I worked there for 3 months and hated it. Though my reason for hating it was the abominable traffic. Getting to my job site, which was 2 miles from the freeway, to and from the on-ramp, took about 25 minutes. It didn't matter which alternate route you took, you were always screwed. Do not want!

Blunoise

Hey guys since I'm trying to move to lA this year hopefully in echo park. What is the dating life like compared to Atlanta, especially for a black man in tech ?

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Seems like I'm finally going to ditch LA for NorCal in a few months. 🙈

Should attend a GAF meetup before I go. 💨

KiN0

Hey LA gaf, I'm going to be visiting from the 11th-17th, and I was wondering what attractions or sights I should see. Originally, I was going for a concert, but it got cancelled; so now I'm just not too sure what to do.

I feel embarrassed to say this.. but I've never been to the Staples Center and I've been a LA resident since 1988!

Going to see the Clippers vs. Heats game. Starts at 12:30. Thinking of getting there at 12 Noon. Is that sufficient? I plan on taking the metro trains there with my 4 year old son.

Anything I should know before going?

I feel embarrassed to say this.. but I've never been to the Staples Center and I've been a LA resident since 1988!

Going to see the Clippers vs. Heats game. Starts at 12:30. Thinking of getting there at 12 Noon. Is that sufficient? I plan on taking the metro trains there with my 4 year old son.

Anything I should know before going?

Should get there earlier. Lines to enter the arena get pretty long at this time and the station is about a 5-10 minute walk depending on the crowd. Metro is fine at this time.

J. Bravo

GF and I gotta catch a flight home tomorrow afternoon at 1. We are staying in San Diego, a 2 hour drive to LA. If we want to get to the airport by 1030 to drop off our rental car, when should we leave?

Anyone here been up Angeles Crest lately? If yes, how much snow is still there, if any at all? I've been thinking of taking the family just to play in the snow for a bit and I don't feel like driving to Big Bear.

Or is there any snow up Mt. Baldy Road?

Anyone here been up Angeles Crest lately? If yes, how much snow is still there, if any at all? I've been thinking of taking the family just to play in the snow for a bit and I don't feel like driving to Big Bear.

Yeah, there should be snow. Only thing is Angeles Crest Hwy is completely closed about 15 miles west of Big Pines/Mountian High, due to snow. I imagine there would be a good amount before you get to the closure, though.

Yeah, there should be snow. Only thing is Angeles Crest Hwy is completely closed about 15 miles west of Big Pines/Mountian High, due to snow. I imagine there would be a good amount before you get to the closure, though.

That's ok. If there's a foot of snow somewhere along the way, I'll be happy.

Top Bottom