• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March 2014 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes April 14th

Accident

http://venturebeat.com/2014/04/17/t...hardcore-games-drove-digital-gaming-in-march/

SuperData Research said:
Titanfall was mainly sold as a downloadable title for the PC and the Microsoft Xbox One console during March (...) Normally, games like Titanfall would see their biggest launches via physical stores selling discs. But with the new generation of consoles, faster download speeds, the ability to download a game in the background while you are performing other tasks, and big hard drives that come with the machines are making hardcore digital downloads more practical. So the sales of hardcore games are split more evenly across digital and physical categories.

I don't know how reliable SuperData Research is, but I thought this was interesting, and it might have an impact on the numbers.

JayEH

I want to think PS4 will sell more but I have a feeling xbox will pull away just because of all the sales/bundles.

I guess it's the opposite of fact.

WvGLWQh.jpg

Enclave

Neo Member
So, the digital copies of Titanfall that were sold in the console bundle, I assume those wouldn't be counted in Titanfall sales? After all, they're digital sales technically?

Shingro

Alright, last call for predictions, roommate says they beat XBO by 100k, I'm taking 50K PS4 lead.

What's the spread? We should get a gambling site up for distinguished na'erdo-wells

riotous

Banned
I don't know how reliable SuperData Research is, but I thought this was interesting, and it might have an impact on the numbers.

Doesn't NPD attempt to estimate digital sales based on other research?

I know they do in general, not sure if they do for home console sales.

Chobel

Doesnt the top 10 include numbers from all platforms?

He said Xbone software are higher than PS4 soft sales; technicpuppet said that this seems wrong with bundled titanfall not included. Zefah said "most people interested in Titanfall already had the hardware." ----> Titanfall sold a lot.

He said Xbone software are higher than PS4 soft sales; technicpuppet said that this seems wrong with bundled titanfall not included. Zefah said "most people interested in Titanfall already had the hardware." ----> Titanfall sold a lot.

It could be that the bundle didn't move as many hardware units as MS expected, as all the expected "system seller" qualities of titanfall moved systems in the earlier months. In that case, we could be looking at PS4 >XB1 this month.

Mrbob

Seeing Reaper of Souls excluded from the top 3 of digital game sales makes me question SuperDatas digital data gathering. So holdover games like Thief and CoD Ghosts sold more digitally? Sure.

I'm surprised Venture Beat posted their data without questioning it.

Accident

Seeing Reaper of Souls excluded from the top 3 of digital game sales makes me question SuperDatas digital data gathering. So holdover games like Thief and CoD Ghosts sold more digitally? Sure.

Ghosts was the best selling console game on February, and Thief was 50% off on PS4 and Xbone.

Top Bottom