• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March 2014 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes April 14th

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Erm okay. So spill something for us.

Don't want to get too specific on anything, but more XBO software sold than PS4 software. That happened last month, too, though, despite PS4 hardware numbers being higher. I don't know hardware details.

Chobel

Don't want to get too specific on anything, but more XBO software sold than PS4 software. That happened last month, too, though, despite PS4 hardware numbers being higher. I don't know hardware details.

Titanfall numbers must be really big.

allan-bh

You saw Titanfall and infamous sales?

Yep TF sold well then although would that number include bundled software too? As I'm sure NPD tracks that but doesn't count it in Top10 data

Krakn3Dfx

BldEkZcCQAA5p2u.png

noobie

is the lead of XBO software over PS4 software same as last month or has it increased considerably?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yep TF sold well then although would that number include bundled software too? As I'm sure NPD tracks that but doesn't count it in Top10 data

Hardware bundle numbers aren't listed on the software side of NPD.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
is the lead of XBO software over PS4 software same as last month or has it increased considerably?

It's a bit bigger than last month. I wouldn't say "considerably," though. Both platforms sold a lot more software than last month.

And they won't be included for the Top 10 calculations.

Right but NPD could easily directly extrapolate those numbers as I'm sure they track individual SKUs for consoles. So NPD doesn't bother adding those numbers to total Xbox software sales for the month then?

noobie

It's a bit bigger than last month. I wouldn't say "considerably," though. Both platforms sold a lot more software than last month.

So both platforms sold a lot more or only XBO increased.? did the ratio remain the same.? like XBO 1.2 : 1 PS4 software?

I'm going to play it safe and like many others predict that The XBOne sold more in March than the PS4. It really has to with it being Titanfall's launch month.

FiggyCal

Banned

The Xbox One does currently have more retail games out (I think), so being that it's at a statistical tie with the PS4 -- this isn't very surprising. What would surprise me if individual retail games were doing consistently better on Xbox One.

What's the price os this research?

We don't buy it directly from Wedbush. We get it through a service called Capital IQ, which acquired Themarkets.com which was a research aggregator. Essentially you would pay Themarkets.com for access to research from a laundry list of Investment Banks which they would buy from said Investment Banks at a discounted price. This way you get access to research from a number of firms rather than just one.

This is how the majority of us get access to the research. Some traders may pay individual firms, but its much easier to get it in bulk if you just want the reports. If you want actual access to the Pachters of the world, you will usually buy direct.

Anyway the prices are quite high.

I'm going to play it safe and like many others predict that The XBOne sold more in February than the PS4. It really has to with it being Titanfall's launch month.

What really makes me believe Xbone won, is all the price cuts and gift card deals they put together. Maybe PS4 was going to outsell it, and Microsoft spent the money necessary to prevent that from happening.

So you realize how wrong he tends to be. Pay one of us to do the research, I promise bigger returns.

Meh they are all wrong most of the time. They get paid to create research that drives investment managers to want to use their Sales and Trading desk. They really don't get paid from selling the research per se. If you are wrong all the time or do not appear to have access to the management team, people will stop using your firm. Think of it this way, equity researchers will rarely have a "Sell" report on a company. They will have at most a "Hold". Everything is usually "Buy" or the drop coverage if shit goes down.

If you do have access and you are wrong, they are likely to forgive because equity researchers are never going to be perfect. The market may turn on a good company for no reason.

FiggyCal

Banned
Meh they are all wrong most of the time. They get paid to create research that drives investment managers to want to use their Sales and Trading desk. They really don't get paid from selling the research per se. If you are wrong all the time or do not appear to have access to the management team, people will stop using your firm. Think of it this way, equity researchers will rarely have a "Sell" report on a company. They will have at most a "Hold". Everything is usually "Buy" or the drop coverage if shit goes down.

If you do have access and you are wrong, they are likely to forgive because equity researchers are never going to be perfect. The market may turn on a good company for no reason.

I was mostly joking. But I appreciate the insight, friend.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So both platforms sold a lot more or only XBO increased.? did the ratio remain the same.? like XBO 1.2 : 1 PS4 software?

Last month was like XBO 1.03 : 1 PS4, which was a tiny lead.

This month, the gap is a bit bigger, but still not even as big as your example.

Still, though. I really wonder how skewed NPDs are, especially with these new generation of consoles. It's only anecdotal here on GAF and in real life, but I know a lot of people buying games digitally on the new platforms.

Top Bottom