• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create 04-10 to 04-16

duckroll

Fuzzy said:
You posted the Famitsu SW sales earlier, mind sharing the HW sales also?

Oh sure.

WARNING: NOT NEW HARDWARE, THIS IS OLD, FROM FAMITSU, FAMITSU IS OLD, IF YOU QUOTE IT AS NEW AND GET FLAMED, TOO BAD.

DSL 174,102
DS   44,109
PSP  31,723
PS2  31,189
GBASP 7,817
GBM   3,192
X360  1,752
GC   1,266

WARNING: NOT NEW HARDWARE, THIS IS OLD, FROM FAMITSU, FAMITSU IS OLD, IF YOU QUOTE IT AS NEW AND GET FLAMED, TOO BAD.

lancubap

Battersea Power Station said:
I finally see how it did this after buying a copy for myself. I was one of the Brain Training, Nintendogs, etc. haters. But when I saw it in the store for 20 bucks, I jumped in. Sure, it's not a game. And I certainly don't want it to become the future of gaming. But it feels good to have it in my carrying case, you know? Everyone has those moments when s/he gets too involved in a traditional game. Being in the game world for too long can get kinda depressing. Brain Age offers a nice break from that. Even if I'm at home and I get too "into" Ninja Gaiden or whatever, I'll take a breather, fire up the DS (which gives off a different start-up sound if it's your birthday, as I discovered today), and do some Brain Age exercises. It works as an invigorator; in fact, I recently used it before starting a long study session just to sharpen up my mind a little.

I'm definitely not a fan of games becoming more like Brain Age, but I'm no longer a hater.

Interesting post. Sure 6 months ago I would said you that this non-game was absolutely stupid, but now I'm really interested: that's because it is a new approach in the videogames industry, and is something different that we can find only on Nintendo DS. And we know all very well that new things attracts people more then old things.
So: yeah, I'll try Brain Training.

EDIT:

duckroll said:
Oh sure.

DSL 174,102
DS   44,109
PSP  31,723
PS2  31,189
GBASP 7,817
GBM   3,192
X360  1,752
GC   1,266

Ok. Got it. A little question: who is more trusted ? Famitsu or Media Create ?

ahmad

Banned
lancubap said:
Interesting post. Sure 6 months ago I would said you that this non-game was absolutely stupid, but now I'm really interested: that's because it is a new approach in the videogames industry, and is something different that we can find only on Nintendo DS. And we know all very well that new things attracts people more then old things.
So: yeah, I'll try Brain Training.

EDIT:

Ok. Got it. A little question: who is more trusted ? Famitsu or Media Create ?

Trust the one that gives your game/console the higher sales

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
duckroll said:
Oh sure.

DSL 174,102
DS   44,109
PSP  31,723
PS2  31,189
GBASP 7,817
GBM   3,192
X360  1,752
GC   1,266

Wow, DS totals ~ 220k. I think its the time for changing the ship :) Famitsu is now the new standard for Japanese sales figures [/nintard]

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
duckroll said:
What if you're a Xbox360 fan in Japan? :(
Then Famitsu is your friend.

Through April 9th
MC - 105,930
Famitsu - 127,610

kia said:
Wow, DS totals ~ 220k. I think its the time for changing the ship :) Famitsu is now the new standard for Japanese sales figures [/nintard]
Not yet. :p

Through April 9th
MC - 7,064,289
Famitsu - 6,946,582

starship

DefectiveReject said:
i reckon 100,000+ on day one
100,000 on day one isn't very well for a game like mother 3. I guess this is more like 200k day one.

ioi

Banned
Well it seems that the minute I started throwing crazy theories around as to how Animal Crossing could do 4m then the game starts losing steam!! Typical.

To be honest, all games were down this week as someone said, I think DSL sales will be down a bit and it is traditionally a quiet time of year. Golden Week should see some nice boosts and Tetris / NSMB etc should keep older game sales high for a while too. I'm disappointed by Starfi, the lowest first week sales for the series yet, I was expecting 100k ish.

As for Mother 3 next week then you have to say 200k (very very low end) to 450k maybe if the game flies first week. Should comfortably outsell DQ Yangus and be number 1 next week, amidst a flurry of new releases.

" Nintendo communicates that from the game of roles Mother 3 at the Erstverkaufstag 300,000 units came into the Japanese trade; the play came today on the market. If the entire quantity should be through-sold, a subsequent delivery is already available. "

source - http://www.gamefront.de/

Fuzzy

Rogerkiller said:
" Nintendo communicates that from the game of roles Mother 3 at the Erstverkaufstag 300,000 units came into the Japanese trade; the play came today on the market. If the entire quantity should be through-sold, a subsequent delivery is already available. "

source - http://www.gamefront.de/
300K shipped? So, 250-275K sold first week?

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I guess there's no more hope that word of mouth will pick up Contact's sales. Well, hopefully it'll do better here in the US since quirky RPGs are lacking. I wonder if Mother 3's impending release didn't hurt it some, since so many people say it reminds them of the Mother games. I dunno, I'm just glad it's coming here.

Crocodile

That's what I'm guessing. When the game was first shown, everybody in the US + Japan were all like "ZOMG Mother 3 am here, our prayers have been answered, GOTY 2006" but then Nintendo and Itoi were all like "Nah don't be falling for the pozers, here'z the real deal. Come home to your Momma." so everyone was sayin, "Mommy we missed you! Love FOREVA!" and they skipped of together into the land of happy ranibows and fanboy cakes. All the pozer could say was, "Contact me if you want to hang out yo!". Most everybody said "why would we want to hang out with smelly cheese, smelly imitation cheeze. Put yourself to some use and picture youself far away, far away from us". Dismayed be broke off all contact and dropped off the charts. Some could see he was a quality product with a similar but disticnt taste. A taste finer that imitation cheese. For unlike oil + water, the components of the game seemed to mix well. But the children all went home with Mommy. Mommy certainly deserved it. She was gone on a trip for so long and she came back justg as sweet and loving as she left. But Contact deserved love too. So so it left Japan unappreicated and hopes to find a new home in the land of oppurtunity, America.

ioi

Banned
Despite the usual replies that I'll probably get, I thought I'd share the latest numbers for this week according to Everything and Nothing:

1 Brain Training 2 DS Nintendo 16 78,000 2,130,250
2 Brain Training DS Nintendo 48 57,000 2,175,500
3 Animal Crossing: Wild World DS Nintendo 21 53,000 2,712,750
8 Final Fantasy XII PS2 Square 5 24,750 2,202,500

Which put both Brain Trainings past 2m as well, and likely to pass FF XII in the next 2 weeks with AC closing on 3m pretty quickly.

http://www.everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/japweekly.php?date=38823

I think we should have a little Brain Training themed celebration in 4 weeks time that the game will have sold ~2.35m in 12 months, not dropping out of the top 10 and actually selling nearly as much in the first 4.5 months of 2006 as the last 7.5 of 2005.

If you look at the weekly numbers, we hit a 20k low in Oct / Nov 05 but actually haven't dipped below 30k in 2006 and actually averaged around 50k per week. It's actually selling better now than it was last year.

Fuzzy

ioi said:
If you look at the weekly numbers, we hit a 20k low in Oct / Nov 05 but actually haven't dipped below 30k in 2006 and actually averaged around 50k per week. It's actually selling better now than it was last year.
Speevy's alter ego? :p

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Yoboman said:
Sony really needs to do something about all this non-game crap, why aren't they cashing in on it?
The 'versions' of Brian Training, Animal Crossing and Nintendogs on the PSP are all complete crap. There was a thread here about them ages ago.

ioi said:
Despite the usual replies that I'll probably get, I thought I'd share the latest numbers for this week according to Everything and Nothing:

1 Brain Training 2 DS Nintendo 16 78,000 2,130,250
2 Brain Training DS Nintendo 48 57,000 2,175,500
3 Animal Crossing: Wild World DS Nintendo 21 53,000 2,712,750
8 Final Fantasy XII PS2 Square 5 24,750 2,202,500

Which put both Brain Trainings past 2m as well, and likely to pass FF XII in the next 2 weeks with AC closing on 3m pretty quickly.

http://www.everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/japweekly.php?date=38823

I think we should have a little Brain Training themed celebration in 4 weeks time that the game will have sold ~2.35m in 12 months, not dropping out of the top 10 and actually selling nearly as much in the first 4.5 months of 2006 as the last 7.5 of 2005.

It really is getting freaky over there. I thought it was funny when Pokemon R/S(I think that was them) used to pop into the top 20 after being out 6 or so months after its release, but these games stay in the top 10, even top 5 at times.

ioi

Banned
Fuzzy said:
Speevy's alter ego? :p

You've lost me! Have I missed something?

Top 10 games of 2006 so far look like:

1 Final Fantasy XII PS2 Square 2,202,500 2,202,500
2 Brain Training 2 DS Nintendo 1,671,750 2,130,250
3 Animal Crossing: Wild World DS Nintendo 1,242,750 2,712,750
4 English Training DS Nintendo 910,250 910,250
5 Brain Training DS Nintendo 896,000 2,175,500
6 Samaurai Warriors 2 PS2 Koei 541,250 541,250
7 Monster Hunter 2 PS2 Capcom 536,750 536,750
8 Mario Kart DS DS Nintendo 498,500 1,372,500
9 Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII PS2 Square 486,500 486,500
10 Pokemon Rangers DS Nintendo 385,000 385,000

Compared to 2005 (the full 12 months):

1 Animal Crossing: Wild World DS Nintendo 1,470,000 1,470,000
2 Brain Training DS Nintendo 1,279,500 1,279,500
3 Nintendogs DS Nintendo 1,047,000 1,047,000
4 Kingdom Hearts II PS2 Square 959,750 959,750
5 Brain Flex DS Nintendo 945,750 945,750
6 World Soccer Winning Eleven 9 PS2 Konami 917,500 917,500
7 Dynasty Warriors 5 PS2 Koei 907,000 907,000
8 Mario Kart DS DS Nintendo 874,000 874,000
9 Tamogotchi Connection: Corner Shop! DS Bandai 818,750 818,750
10 Mushi King GBA Sega 691,000 691,000

http://www.everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/japyearly.php?year=2006

The top 3 are already better for 2006 and we've only had 3.5 months so far!!

English Training has already sold as much as Winning Eleven 9 and DW 5 did last year (and is still doin 45k a week) and almost as much as Brain Flex did in 6 months last year. Brain Training 2 will likely overtake FF XII for 2006 (it's already nearly there in terms of LTD), AC will sell more in 2006 than 2005, as will Brain Training. And we are only 4 months into the year !

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Really, it's amazing.

BT1 was made on a budget of, what, $100,000 or something like that? Maybe even less.

Then you have BT2 and EBT, which were probably made on budgets no greater than that.

You have well over $100,000,000 in revenue from those three games, and they still combine for 150-200k sales every week.

ioi

Banned
Fuzzy said:
He used "we" like he was a part of MS and you did the same thing like you're a part of Nintendo. :p

Well you know I'm a pedant anyway but technically I didn't say "We (Nintendo) sold..." what I said was "If you look at the graph we hit a 20k low" in the same way as "if you look outside we see it's snowing". Subtle but you didn't read it how I meant it to be read which is probably my fault for not wording it very well.

starship

GaimeGuy said:
Really, it's amazing.

BT1 was made on a budget of, what, $100,000 or something like that? Maybe even less.

Then you have BT2 and EBT, which were probably made on budgets no greater than that.

You have well over $100,000,000 in revenue from those three games, and they still combine for 150-200k sales every week.
Don't forget Gentle Brain Training or Brain Flex. It sold something like 1.25m so far. I think the Traning franchise right now is the most popular franchise in Japan.

In less than a year:
Brain Training ~ 1.95m
Brain Training 2 ~ 1.9m
Gentle Brain Training ~ 1.25m
------------------------------------
Total ~ 5.1m

And if we add English Training sales as well, there will be 6m units sold so far.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I wonder, how many Training games can Nintendo release before the market is (temporarily at least) saturated with that type of games? Would they possibly be able to fill the entire top ten with Training games? If they released Brain Training 3 and 4 in a month from now, would they also hang around for a year in the top ten?

Fuzzy

ioi said:
Well you know I'm a pedant anyway but technically I didn't say "We (Nintendo) sold..." what I said was "If you look at the graph we hit a 20k low" in the same way as "if you look outside we see it's snowing". Subtle but you didn't read it how I meant it to be read which is probably my fault for not wording it very well.
Damn foreigners not knowing how to properly communicate in English.

lancubap

Still no hardware's estimations ? It will interesting to see if Nintendo DS & Nintendo DS Lite's sales remain stable around 200k pro week. If it is the case, then Nintendo DS & Lite's final score will approach 12 millions units at the end of November: something amazing !!!

saz

Banned
I wonder how much they pay Kawashima for using his name/research? And is he "ezclusive" to Nintendo?

Second-party neurologists OMG!

Kawashima helped develop the game and I'm pretty sure I remember hearing that he gets paid royalties.
In a since, I'm pretty sure Nintendo completely owns him.

ahmad

Banned
Earthstrike said:
Kawashima helped develop the game and I'm pretty sure I remember hearing that he gets paid royalties.
In a since, I'm pretty sure Nintendo completely owns him.
didn't he give his name to the sega game on PSP??

Rocked said:
It would be funny if Dr Kawashima was a character in Revolution Smash Brothers.

he honestly should be in smash bros. i think tom nook has a real chance of being in it though. i hope he throws furniture as weapons.

Cheebs

metropolis said:
he honestly should be in smash bros. i think tom nook has a real chance of being in it though. i hope he throws furniture as weapons.
K.K. Slider has a better chance than Nook. K.K. is the "macot" of AC pretty much. I will be very suprised if K.K. Slider(or someone from AC) is not in SSB 3.

Xbox is dead!
GC is dying
PSP is floating along
XBox360 has teh momentum
DS outsold everything bar its newer brother
DSlite is climbing the ladders to heaven.

How close is it to a million itself now? and how quick did the DS hit a million?

Fuzzy

DefectiveReject said:
How close is it to a million itself now? and how quick did the DS hit a million?
DSL is now at 827,737. The DS made it to a million after 4 weeks, but that was December 2004.

Fuzzy said:
PS2: 27,549
PSP: 26,340
GBASP: 6,372
GBM: 3,676
Xbox 360: 1,926
GC: 1,080
GBA: 46
Xbox: 30
Go PS2! o_O
GBA going up before Mother, back to 10k.
X360 gaining momentum indeed, it nearly doubles GC sales.
GBA and Xbox lowest ever?

Amir0x said:
PSP under PS2, and near 25,000... it's approaching its all time low again!
i anticipate New Super Mario Bros will divert Japan away from the PSP further still.
Has any console ever gone 18months before it released its first real big gun?
With possibly its biggest gun still to fire?

Top Bottom