• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 01/02-01/08

Sweedishrodeo

the smegma spreader
for the longest time i thought that photo was a photoshop of two different pics. so funny by itself. sooooo much funnier when they wear bunny ears and celebrate easter.

Dragmire

dragmire-ghetto.jpg

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
I seriously can't believe how successful Dshas been. before it was released I was thinking that it was going to get crushed by PSP, yet what is happening is the oppossite.

neptunes

Edit: ^^ man that Image is freaking me out :(

so the psp outsold the ds right? Just like this time last year.

It's a goddam cycle I tell you, what game will kick off easter this year?

Memles

Here's the thing...while Easter has indeed officially ended, how in the hell are the software sales still that good? This bodes well for the next few weeks as supply comes in, because clearly people are still buying software.

jarrod

Banned
pixelbox said:
To bad psp hardware isn't selling like GC's hardware.
Too bad PSP software isn't selling like GC software. Will PSP ever see a release that passes 1.000.000? Or 500.000 even?

Saturn, Nintendo 64, GameCube and Dreamcast all had more impressive software figures first year. That's not really a good sign...

ziran

isn't dengeki saying ds has sold 166k?
http://www.dengekionline.com/soft/ranking/ranking2.htm

市場ではDS本体の品切れが相次いでいます。今週の販売台数は16.6万台と先週の38.7万台から大きく数字を落としましたが、これは多くの販売店で品切れになっているためであり、しばらくは入手困難な状況が続きそうです。
google translation:
On one hand, in the hard market absence of stock of the DS itself is sequential. The sale quantity of this week dropped the number from 16.6 ten thousand units and 38.7 ten thousand units of last week largely, but this is, because at many stores it becomes absence of stock, procurement difficult circumstance may continue for a while, is.
edit - doesn't it say ds is in short supply and has sold out at many stores, sales are 166k, down from 387k last week?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The PsP is back on top? Easter is officially over? Nintendo is doomed, time to find my razor, my wrist, and get it right this time.

Seriously, though, that was a great run *applauds*

Stupid manufacturing capacity limitations.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
I know it's many posts back at this point, but I just wanted to voice my agreement at MrBob's observation that PSP must really be kicking ass as a portable media player. Those sales are really quite good, and it's very telling that they come with almost no software in the top 40 at all. Hopefully Sony is at least breaking even on the hardware and making a good bit of money on UMD licensing.

Razoric

Banned
All those high profile releases for DS and PSP still beats it. Looks like there will be a shift in the handheld market pretty soon.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
human5892 said:
Hopefully Sony is at least breaking even on the hardware and making a good bit of money on UMD licensing.
What you should not forget in Sony's business model is that people who buy a PSP as a portable media player also buy a large memory stick. And guess what they'll buy when they want a new camera or camescope? A Memory stick compatible device = a Sony one. I know this strategy worked on me as I chose a Sony camera over a Canon one for this reason :) . So maybe Sony can take a bigger loss on the PSP after all, as we don't see the whole picture.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
marc^o^ said:
What you should not forget in Sony's business model is that people who buy a PSP as a portable media player also buy a large memory stick. And guess what they'll buy when they want a new camera or camescope? A Memory stick compatible device = a Sony one. I know this strategy worked on me as I chose a Sony camera over a Canon one for this reason :) . So maybe Sony can take a bigger loss on the PSP after all, as we don't see the whole picture.
That's a good point, I didn't think about that.

mj1108

Shaheed79 said:
PSP has finally gotten the Momentum back it's only a matter of time now. Closin that gap.

Razoric said:
All those high profile releases for DS and PSP still beats it. Looks like there will be a shift in the handheld market pretty soon.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

marc^o^ said:

This is one of the reason I went with the k750i mobile phone actually.
Its even in the same colour scheme as PSP :p

fallout

marc^o^ said:
Another thing to remember is that Sony isn't in a position like Microsoft (apparently the kings of selling at a loss) where they have to go to other companies to get the hardware designed and manufactured. This is what Sony does, so I imagine they could very easily break even on the PSP.

This thread has taken a turn for the worse for the big N. PSP momentum in Japan, Sony making profits on the PSP, media player goodness for the PSP, the software situation being not that bad after all.

BAIL OUT!!

Top Bottom