• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 12 - 18 June

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
damn, nintendo is owning in Japan.

They're definitely going to be the next gen leader in terms of console sales over there.

thefro

It'll be interesting to see what happens with PSP's software support once PS2 development dries up in 2007/2008. It's certainly been a fairly successful system but they haven't really had a ton of original games that you can't play on PS2.

There's definitely an explosion going on in the US with DS Lite + NSMB + Brain Age word of mouth taking off.

I can see something similar happening with the Wii if things break right, and I'd bet on it happening in Japan. Iwata really seems to have Nintendo thinking ahead of the curve right now.

thefro said:
It'll be interesting to see what happens with PSP's software support once PS2 development dries up in 2007/2008. It's certainly been a fairly successful system but they haven't really had a ton of original games that you can't play on PS2.

There's definitely an explosion going on in the US with DS Lite + NSMB + Brain Age word of mouth taking off.

I can see something similar happening with the Wii if things break right, and I'd bet on it happening in Japan. Iwata really seems to have his finger on the pulse of things going on right now.

Mario Kart DS really set off the WiFi thing in the US, but I expect Pokemon to take it to an entirely different level. We might see PokeMania revived in full effect.

Oh, the memories. Summer 1998...

<3

So I put the 2003 Media Create values into my online database. This did involve estimating a few missing weeks through the changes in YTD numbers, but for the most part they're close enough. The only really goofy bit is where I gave 13 consecutive weeks of WonderSwan Color the same 190 units sold, but it's not like a +/- 100 difference makes much difference anyway.

GBASP vs DSL from launch, weekly numbers
GBASP vs DSL from launch, total sales
"GBA after SP" vs "DS after Lite" from successor launch, weekly numbers
"GBA after SP" vs "DS after Lite" from successor launch, total sales

PhoenixDark said:

<3
The memories of... waiting for Pokémon to come out in America that October?

cvxfreak said:
I think it's September. :p

Nintendo launch FireRed/LeafGreen on the US and Japanese anniversaries of Pokemon, IIRC.
Close. According to Wikipedia the first two launched February 27 1996 in Japan, September 30 1998 in America. The remakes: January 29 2004 in Japan, September 9 2004 in America.

So not quite October, but my point stands, for what little it's worth.

Lapsed

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
I'm disagreeing. I think competition with Nintendo's own games is a factor. However, with systems like NES, Game Boy, or Game Boy Advance, it's not like third parties had a viable alternative.

This is a huge myth which is still, absurdly, even believed today by some developers. A game being popular does not decrease sales from other games. In more likelihood, it probably increases them. Sales of Brain Age of New Super Mario Brothers are not decreasing sales of third party titles. They are either having no effect or increasing them (since sales of games like Brain Trainer are creating more DS owners who will then often buy other games).

Does anyone honestly believe that the popularity of titles such as Grand Theft Auto 3, Final Fantasy series, Gran Turismo, and the Metal Gear Solid series decreases the sales of other titles for that system? Then why would someone believe that the popularity of Mario, Zelda, and Metroid decrease sales for other games on that system?

Would a mediocre game such as Children of Mana sell as well as it did if it were not for the reasons people got the DS in the first place with games such as Animal Crossing and Brain Trainer?

Nintendo is primarily a software company, not a hardware company. If I recall, Nintendo is the #2 publisher in the world, second only to Electronic Arts. The money in this industry is made from the software, not the hardware. So it shouldn't be a surprise that Nintendo is so focused on that.

Why does this myth persist? I think there are two reasons:

1) People confuse reality with Pie charts. They see the large slice of the pie chart dominated by Nintendo and visually assume that Nintendo sales are 'eating' third party sales.

2) Another reason why I hear developers say this is because they are in 'competition' to other Nintendo games out there (which isn't true. Good games do not compete against each other.) realize it is extremely hard to 'compete' against Nintendo's numbers. How do you compete against Electronic Arts' titles? You can't. But Electronic Arts sales are divided by platforms while Nintendo's software is all bunched up on their systems (which exaggerates the pie charts). Franchises like Mario are the best selling of all time and will probably remain so. If it was truly competition they were worried about, they could release their games on the N-Gage and own that pie chart. But none of them will for the obvious reasons.

Nintendo has the money to delay games so they get perfected. Most other game companies cannot afford such a luxury. This is a reason why Blizzard's games usually dominate on the PC. Third parties, being controlled by publishers, are more interested in another stream of revenue than perfecting the game. But that stream would become a river and perhaps a flood if more time was spent on the development side.

The lament of 'only Nintendo games sell on Nintendo systems' forget that if you combine all the systems, Nintendo's game sales still make up a sizable chunk of the market. Nintendo is the software powerhouse. It is like comparing most third party companies to Electronic Arts. Its a stupid comparison. Most games get outsold by Madden, but no one is stupid enough to say the only video games that sell are football games. Madden's success doesn't cause the failure of other games.

There are many successful third party companies on Nintendo systems. Didn't Atlus say Trauma Center was their most profitable game? No wonder the sequel is launching with the Wii. Sega's games sell mostly on Nintendo's systems. Why do you think Sega was so eager to put their games on to the Virtual Console? Konami must be pleased with the sales of Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow in the West.

The only companies who are complaining are companies such as Electronic Arts who do not know how to deal with disruptive technologies. Dealing with a disruptive system does not fit their internal business model very well.

Third parties sold well on the NES, GB, SNES, GBA. Amazingly, the high sales of games like Super Mario Brothers did not decrease sales of the first Final Fantasy or Castlevania. So why do people foolishly believe that high sales of games like New Super Mario Brothers will decrease the sales of other games?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Also, going by the same logic, wouldn't third parties be more afraid of putting their games on the PS2, since games like GTA, FF and the like obviously sell buttloads.

Jiggy

PhoenixDark said:
Mario Kart DS really set off the WiFi thing in the US, but I expect Pokemon to take it to an entirely different level. We might see PokeMania revived in full effect.

<3
I absolutely loathe having to be negative about my favorite series ever in anything, and honestly hope I'm wrong, because there's nothing I'd love to see more than Pokemon on top of the world again, but I expect sales to be impeded in the US for no better reason than that the male character is wearing a beret.
Maybe ideally NOA will decide to make small sprite edits like they've done to Grit's hat every time in the Advance Wars games...

cvxfreak

Jiggy37 said:
I absolutely loathe having to be negative about my favorite series ever in anything, and honestly hope I'm wrong, because there's nothing I'd love to see more than Pokemon on top of the world again, but I expect sales to be impeded in the US for no better reason than that the male character is wearing a beret.
Maybe ideally NOA will decide to make small sprite edits like they've done to Grit's hat every time in the Advance Wars games...

Err, I don't think that's going to be an issue for anyone, especially since the characters probably aren't going to appear on the front boxart.

Tabris

NEC Avenue said:
Oh btw Tabris, please stop posting pictures of other peoples' game collections. :lol

necavenue.jpg

Oh, I'm not really into action figures or anything, just LOVE Suikoden :)

Jiggy

cvxfreak said:
Err, I don't think that's going to be an issue for anyone, especially since the characters probably aren't going to appear on the boxart.
They appeared on the back of the boxes for the GBA games.

I don't know, maybe I'm just too much of a cynic, but I think people are shallow enough to be dissuaded by something like that.

cvxfreak

Jiggy37 said:
They appeared on the back of the boxes for the GBA games.

I don't know, maybe I'm just too much of a cynic, but I think people are shallow enough to be dissuaded by something like that.

See quickly edited post.

donny2112

YTD/LTD

DS: 3,222,277/8,869,229
PSP: 870,267/3,553,229

DS Lead: 2,352,010/5,316,000

DS '06 vs. DS '05: 2,218,699
PSP '06 vs. PSP '05: -87,041 (which actually means it's gotten better since earlier in the year)

donny2112

1. The DS should hit 9 million next week.
2. The PSP should hit 1 million YTD in about 6-7 weeks.

At the current selling rate (164K), the DS would hit 10 million LTD about the same time that PSP hits 1 million YTD. Realistically though, it'll probably be a couple of weeks after. The DS will be over 4 million YTD when PSP hits 1 million YTD, though. ;)

loosus

Banned
mj1108 said:
Tell me about it. Their posts reek of bitterness and desperation.
That may well be (in fact, it is), but you are the LAST person that needs to be talking about "bitterness and desperation."

Go back to IGN and ban some more folks who don't agree that Nintendo is God.

Blütnerd

Neo Member
jamesinclair said:
Xbox, I get. GC, I get. GBM, sure.

BUT WHY WOULD ANYONE BUY AN ORIGINAL GBA?
Not all parents love their children, you know. Kid is having a birthday, has been nagging for months for a DS lite. Gets a gift roughly the right size on the big day, opens it a bit to reveal the Nintendo logo. Gets all excited, and then discovers it's an old style GBA.

Parenting gold, that is.

AniHawk

cvxfreak said:
Those GBAs are probably splurge purchases. Someone sees them for like $15 brand new, buys it just because.

That's true. In fact, I just bought 20 of them from Japan last week!

Jonnyram said:
Why are DS numbers so high this week? It's not like they've been low on stock the previous few weeks.

Stocks may have been lower.

They did launch in North America/Europe ... I'm guessing that impacted how many units they had in Japan for the last few weeks.

Looking at the sales spike for the original DS model this week it seems like some people in Japan are resorting to buying the older model rather than going home empty handed.

ethelred said:
http://www.snackbar-games.com/gbacovers.php

Try this site.

It's an awesome thing -- they have scans of GBA covers (side, front, back), you print them out and cut them and then buy extra DS cases from Nintendo's store. Then you just put the cover and the GBA game + manual in the new DS case.

This is great; I might have to start getting these, especially since I don't have too many GBA games to convert.

ethelred said:
I'm so confused!

Me too :lol

donny2112 said:
YTD/LTD

DS: 3,222,277/8,869,229
PSP: 870,267/3,553,229

DS Lead: 2,352,010/5,316,000

DS '06 vs. DS '05: 2,218,699
PSP '06 vs. PSP '05: -87,041 (which actually means it's gotten better since earlier in the year)

DS YTD will be higher than PSP LTD in just a few weeks.

lancubap

Lapsed said:
This is a huge myth which is still, absurdly, even believed today by some developers. A game being popular does not decrease sales from other games. In more likelihood, it probably increases them. Sales of Brain Age of New Super Mario Brothers are not decreasing sales of third party titles. They are either having no effect or increasing them (since sales of games like Brain Trainer are creating more DS owners who will then often buy other games).

Does anyone honestly believe that the popularity of titles such as Grand Theft Auto 3, Final Fantasy series, Gran Turismo, and the Metal Gear Solid series decreases the sales of other titles for that system? Then why would someone believe that the popularity of Mario, Zelda, and Metroid decrease sales for other games on that system?

Would a mediocre game such as Children of Mana sell as well as it did if it were not for the reasons people got the DS in the first place with games such as Animal Crossing and Brain Trainer?

Nintendo is primarily a software company, not a hardware company. If I recall, Nintendo is the #2 publisher in the world, second only to Electronic Arts. The money in this industry is made from the software, not the hardware. So it shouldn't be a surprise that Nintendo is so focused on that.

Why does this myth persist? I think there are two reasons:

1) People confuse reality with Pie charts. They see the large slice of the pie chart dominated by Nintendo and visually assume that Nintendo sales are 'eating' third party sales.

2) Another reason why I hear developers say this is because they are in 'competition' to other Nintendo games out there (which isn't true. Good games do not compete against each other.) realize it is extremely hard to 'compete' against Nintendo's numbers. How do you compete against Electronic Arts' titles? You can't. But Electronic Arts sales are divided by platforms while Nintendo's software is all bunched up on their systems (which exaggerates the pie charts). Franchises like Mario are the best selling of all time and will probably remain so. If it was truly competition they were worried about, they could release their games on the N-Gage and own that pie chart. But none of them will for the obvious reasons.

Nintendo has the money to delay games so they get perfected. Most other game companies cannot afford such a luxury. This is a reason why Blizzard's games usually dominate on the PC. Third parties, being controlled by publishers, are more interested in another stream of revenue than perfecting the game. But that stream would become a river and perhaps a flood if more time was spent on the development side.

The lament of 'only Nintendo games sell on Nintendo systems' forget that if you combine all the systems, Nintendo's game sales still make up a sizable chunk of the market. Nintendo is the software powerhouse. It is like comparing most third party companies to Electronic Arts. Its a stupid comparison. Most games get outsold by Madden, but no one is stupid enough to say the only video games that sell are football games. Madden's success doesn't cause the failure of other games.

There are many successful third party companies on Nintendo systems. Didn't Atlus say Trauma Center was their most profitable game? No wonder the sequel is launching with the Wii. Sega's games sell mostly on Nintendo's systems. Why do you think Sega was so eager to put their games on to the Virtual Console? Konami must be pleased with the sales of Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow in the West.

The only companies who are complaining are companies such as Electronic Arts who do not know how to deal with disruptive technologies. Dealing with a disruptive system does not fit their internal business model very well.

Third parties sold well on the NES, GB, SNES, GBA. Amazingly, the high sales of games like Super Mario Brothers did not decrease sales of the first Final Fantasy or Castlevania. So why do people foolishly believe that high sales of games like New Super Mario Brothers will decrease the sales of other games?

Another excellent post. Junior member, but with a lot of good and clear ideas. In the complex, I agree with you.

Top Bottom