• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 12 - 18 June

AniHawk

Rock_Man said:
Wow, 28 DS games in the top 50!

I'd like to think that the last thing that went through Kutaragi's head, other than that bullet, was how the hell Satoru Iwata ever got the best of him.

AniHawk said:
I'd like to think that the last thing that went through Kutaragi's head, other than that bullet, was how the hell Saturo Iwata ever got the best of him.
simple, he's a down to earth righteous man. not a self obsessed arrogant sod.

For those blank cases, the best bulk deal they offer is 10 for $7.

Any 20 for $10 or $12 floating around?

Yes 2-4 bucks. I'm a greedy bastard.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
ethelred said:
http://www.snackbar-games.com/gbacovers.php

Try this site.

It's an awesome thing -- they have scans of GBA covers (side, front, back), you print them out and cut them and then buy extra DS cases from Nintendo's store. Then you just put the cover and the GBA game + manual in the new DS case.

It's a good way to preserve the cardboard boxes if you're a collector (so they're not damaged by constantly taking games/manuals out or in) and it's very nice for display purposes (as you can see). I've got all my GBA games in cases like this, too. +1 to Tabris for doing it.
I also did it to my GBA games (15 of them) but since I've been finding so many cheap GBA games I need 4 more DS cases. I'll probably get another 10 or 15 cases from Nintendo so I don't have to worry about ordering them for a third time.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Eroding_Era said:
For those blank cases, the best bulk deal they offer is 10 for $7.
Any 20 for $10 or $12 floating around?
Yes 2-4 bucks. I'm a greedy bastard.

There isn't, unfortunately. I tried getting various stores to order them in, but Nintendo is the only place you can get the cases and that's the only price they sell them for.

P90

AniHawk said:
I'd like to think that the last thing that went through Kutaragi's head, other than that bullet, was how the hell Saturo Iwata ever got the best of him.

Nintendo knows handheld gaming and will for a VERY long time. Sony is still thinking that handheld gaming needs to "get out of the gutter". With that mindset, you will produce a product and attract game development that does not relate with most previous handheld gamers/demographics. That is alot of gamers. Now if the PSP originally came with a hdd, then the PSP would have made large inroads into iPod territory. If the PSP actually played real DVDs then it would have so owned the portable multimedia market. Poor planning on Sony's part. The writing was on the wall from the beginning.

apujanata

What if Analysis :

What if PSP was designed to play PS1 games (power level of PS1 chips), instead of being able to play PS2 games (power level of PS2 chips) ? Will PSP be more successful, or less successful ?

Anyone remember when Yamauchi step down and replaced by Iwata ? Is it before DS release, or after DS release ?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Netrunner2k2 said:
Quite a bit of time before DS is when Iwata took over.

I believe, before descending into the pit, Yamauchis last words were "2 screens mother****er"

Lunney

AniHawk said:

What a brilliant movie.

apujanata

Netrunner2k2 said:
Quite a bit of time before DS is when Iwata took over.

So, it is possible that, if Yamauchi was still on the helm, he might have vetoed DS, and there will no Wii as we see it today.

Jiggy

P90 said:
Sony is still thinking that handheld gaming needs to "get out of the gutter". With that mindset, you will produce a product and attract game development that does not relate with most previous handheld gamers/demographics.
Great point.

apujanata said:
So, it is possible that, if Yamauchi was still on the helm, he might have vetoed DS, and there will no Wii as we see it today.
No, if I read correctly, it's Yamauchi who wanted to have the DS on the market, with 2 screens. The DS was already in development before Iwata became head of Nintendo.

Right...?

NotWii

Banned
apujanata said:
No, because it was Yamauchi's idea to begin with :lol

No idea which chap decided to put a touch screen in, that's the real innovation IMO.
And then Microphone and WiFi are nice additions.

cvxfreak

Souldriver said:
No, if I read correctly, it's Yamauchi who wanted to have the DS on the market, with 2 screens. The DS was already in development before Iwata became head of Nintendo.

Right...?

Something like that.

apujanata said:
What if PSP was designed to play PS1 games (power level of PS1 chips), instead of being able to play PS2 games (power level of PS2 chips) ? Will PSP be more successful, or less successful ?
It would certainly be cheaper, but it also then wouldn't really have anything over the DS for games. Well, a disc format.

And damn you avatar switchers! :lol For some minutes I doubted the hardware numbers as a possible hoax.

Tyrael

Frankfurter said:
YTD/LTD

DS: 3,222,277/8,869,229
PSP: 870,267/3,553,229

DS YTD will be higher than PSP LTD in just a few weeks.

kutaragicry7pu.gif

The DS started life as a single-screened GBA follow up. It was code-named Nitro. I speculate that after E3 '03 when the PSP was unveiled (as very much a beefed-up GBA) Nintendo realized that they couldn't directly compete with in successfully (as they had learned with the GameCube) and started thinking about interesting features to add to a handheld that would set it apart.

Yamauchi has claimed to have come up with the idea for the second screen while soaking in the tub.

I'm sure they had their 3 features nailed down by June or July and were busy putting together the electrical design. I know there was documentation showing it to have only two face buttons fairly late in the year, but they definately had things nailed down enough at E3 '04 to show prototypes and dev kits. The rest is well known.

From Wikipedia:

On May 31, 2002 Yamauchi stepped down as president of Nintendo and was succeeded by the head of Nintendo's Corporate Planning Division, Satoru Iwata. Hiroshi Yamauchi subsequently became the chairman of Nintendo's board of directors. He finally left the board in June 2005 due to his age and because he felt that he was leaving the company in good hands.

I wonder if EAD Ninja might be able to fill in some details.

Kangu

Banned
bmf said:
Yamauchi has claimed to have come up with the idea for the second screen while soaking in the tub.

Yamauchi must have let out a turd in the tub because thas what his 2 screens idea is. Hell, it's downright idiotic. The DS is the success it is solely because of the touch screen and mic.

Joe Molotov

Kangu said:
Yamauchi must have let out a turd in the tub because thas what his 2 screens idea is. Hell, it's downright idiotic. The DS is the success it is solely because of the touch screen and mic.

Don't hate. Celebrate.

Kangu

Banned
Seriously Yamauchi was completely insane. Kutaragi is delusional, but Yamauchi was just insane.

"So miyamoto, I had this great idea while i was in the tub the other day!"
"ZERUDA?"
"I want you to make a handheld, but make it gigantic, so it can have 2 screens! We can put a map on the second screen!"
"Why?"
"DO NOT QUESTION ME! I'VE THROWN HOOKERS OUT OF LOVE HOTEL WINDOWS THAT WEIGHED 3 TIMES AS MUCH AS YOU DO!"

MrDaravon

Kangu said:
Seriously Yamauchi was completely insane. Kutaragi is delusional, but Yamauchi was just insane.

"ZERUDA?"
"I want you to make a handheld, but make it gigantic, so it can have 2 screens! We can put a map on the second screen!"
"Why?"
"DO NOT QUESTION ME! I'VE THROWN HOOKERS OUT OF LOVE HOTEL WINDOWS THAT WEIGHED 3 TIMES AS MUCH AS YOU DO!"

:lol

Kangu said:

Don't get your panties in a bunch. The second screen is the biggest gimmic of the three, but the touch screen doesn't work as well without it, and it's the big marketable differentiator between it and the PSP.

Remember, in the end features are to get the developers' attention. After that it all really falls on the killer app that gets the public's attention.

Kangu said:

"ZERUDA?"
"Why?"
Generic response to Having two screens is pointless.

KINGMOKU

Kangu said:
Yes I do.

don't be an idiot, you know what i mean

JJS: Generic is right on the money.
Man, everytime I see your avatar it freaks me out.

I don't want to be eaten by the pigs. Seriously. Everything I read of yours has that accent.

Kangu

Banned
moku said:
Man, everytime I see your avatar it freaks me out.

I don't want to be eaten by the pigs. Seriously. Everything I read of yours has that accent.

I find the CVXfreak- Anihawk avtarr exchange far freakier. It's disorienting total

cvxfreak said:
I like your site, Joshua.
Thanks. I like the one-man-wiki format; easy to add or edit anything anytime with little regard to hierarchical categorization.

To make this topical, I added in a few Media Create-related things. :lol
Media Create: This Week just shows the most recent pie chart, Pac chart, and bar chart. Media Create: Request a Graph allows you to input a week for any of those same three without personally modifying the URL. Also the pie chart for time spans is included. I imagined it mostly for yearly sales, but saw no reason to not let it be more freeform. As I say each time, though, it can get pretty large since it's done at the same scale as the weekly pies. I just asked it for a pie covering the weeks of 2002-12-30 to 2006-06-12 and got a 3410x3335 image. Being a low-color PNG image, though, it's still well within avatar size limits around here.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that in that time span DS Lite has outsold GCN. Though I was a bit surprised to see that DS+DSL was greater than PS2

Rocked said:
Wow, PSP sales are dreadful. It's barely beating the original DS.

On any previous year of the Japanese charts, the PSPs sales would be considered selling at an excellent rate. With that amount weekly, the PS2 was often maintaining its dominance over the Gamecube.

The PSP really is only selling poorly when compared to Nintendo's version of the second coming of christ.

Eroding_Era said:
On any previous year of the Japanese charts, the PSPs sales would be considered selling at an excellent rate. With that amount weekly, the PS2 was often maintaining its dominance over the Gamecube.

The PSP really is only selling poorly when compared to Nintendo's version of the second coming of christ.

That's BS (i.e. PS2 sales before 2005 were always far better than what PSP does).

Here's my (slightly more immature) take on the Pac Chart. (Areas are in proportion)

EDIT: Fixed the chart. Ghosts are a little harder to resized proportionally and accurately, but the message gets through

Always on the lookout for the latest information presentation gimmickry, I have created an animation of this year's pie charts. Text removed, but if you have any question about what each color is just check one of the stills from elsewhere in this thread.
20060625anipie.gif

Deku

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Always on the lookout for the latest information presentation gimmickry, I have created an animation of this year's pie charts. Text removed, but if you have any question about what each color is just check one of the stills from elsewhere in this thread.
20060625anipie.gif

Its too jumpy can you make the pie one size?

Deku said:
Its too jumpy can you make the pie one size?
I could, but the biggest reason I wanted to make pie charts was to gain extra perspective from a dynamic weekly size.

Since it's only one line changed to make it fixed size, though, if anyone else wants to put such an animation together you can access a list of weekly fixed size pies here.

Frankfurter said:
That's BS (i.e. PS2 sales before 2005 were always far better than what PSP does).

June 14-20 2004
PS2: 26,000
GC: 4,500

Granted, 2002 and 2003 for this period, PS2 was at lower to mid 40ks, but just how much is far better?

Hard to call those far better with what the DS is doing. In June, no less.

Top Bottom