• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 5/14 - 5/20

apujanata

Vinnk said:
Things I am looking for this week:

Wii
DS lite
Biohazard 4 Wii-Wiilease

Anything else?

That is a fine list. I think the report will be that DSL are getting easier and easier to find.

Did you bought One Piece Wii, Vinnk ? I heard it is a very nice action RPG, like Zelda. Unfortunately, it is in Japanese, so it is no go for me. If there is an English version, I might check out the game. I like Luffy and co.

No Fist of the North Star pachinko game? I was even the first person to reply to requests. :(

Maybe somehow Vinnk missed your request ?

apujanata

donny2112 said:
Hot Shots Golf PS3 is at #44. Three 360 games are in front of it (Oblivion @ 35, Vampire Rain @ 17, Trusty Bell @ 7).

If FFXIII does get announced for the 360 and advertised that it's coming (it doesn't matter how far in advance; the earlier, the better for the 360), the 360 might actually catch up to the PS3. That's assuming that the PS3 continues its moribund existence, as far as sales go, though.

If I have to choose between PS3 and X360, I will take PS3 (as long as both machine cost $300 or less, even if PS3 is still more expensive than X360), so I am rooting for PS3 to do better worldwide, so I don't have to purchase X360 as my second "next-gen" console (after Wii).

One of the reason I prefer PS3 is because I owned PS1 and PS2, but I didn't own XBOX.

AniHawk said:
Every week we get people saying these threads are dying out. Every week that thread goes over 1200 posts.
Credit should go where credit is due. This thread is 30 pages thanks to Vinnk's wonderful news, and to jimbo's love for trolling, and everyone that took his bait.

Vinnk's news was welcome, but I for one truly hope that jimbo, whether he's some mod's joke character, or is in fact exactly as he appears, never returns.

Eteric Rice

apujanata said:
If I have to choose between PS3 and X360, I will take PS3 (as long as both machine cost $300 or less, even if PS3 is still more expensive than X360), so I am rooting for PS3 to do better worldwide, so I don't have to purchase X360 as my second "next-gen" console (after Wii).

I'm rooting for Nintendo and MS. Though with the 360's failure rates as of late, I'm starting to wonder.

I just want Sony to get their shit straight. I kind of feel that if they win this generation, they'll be cockier than ever. :/

AniHawk

bmf said:
Credit should go where credit is due. This thread is 30 pages thanks to Vinnk's wonderful news, and to jimbo's love for trolling, and everyone that took his bait.

Vinnk's news was welcome, but I for one truly hope that jimbo, whether he's some mod's joke character, or is in fact exactly as he appears, never returns.

The more and more Nintendo sells, the further and further people will slip into insanity. While some will see reality for what it is, a good handful of people will eventually go into a category I like to call, "**** crazy."

Eteric Rice

AniHawk said:
The more and more Nintendo sells, the further and further people will slip into insanity. While some will see reality for what it is, a good handful of people will eventually go into a category I like to call, "**** crazy."

In other words, they'll become like Pre-Wii Nintendo Fans.

Eteric Rice said:
This is why I think he's a mod's joke character. There is no way that he should have been able to make through the last couple of days without some sort of protection.

Eteric Rice

bmf said:
This is why I think he's a mod's joke character. There is no way that he should have been able to make through the last couple of days without some sort of protection.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

Brofist

Eteric Rice said:
I'm rooting for Nintendo and MS. Though with the 360's failure rates as of late, I'm starting to wonder.

I just want Sony to get their shit straight. I kind of feel that if they win this generation, they'll be cockier than ever. :/

do you actually play games, or do you just sit around the house thinking of asinine shit

speaking of which it wouldn't hurt to take a 10 min break from GAF now and again, over 30 posts a day? :lol

Innotech

Banned
Eteric Rice said:

I dont even think us nintendo fans went as crazy as some of these folks in the Sony camp are. Then again I only started posting here this year. I dont recall it ever being that insane at other forums either though. I guess I was just playing whatever I could find on Gamecube and not really caring, similar to how many Ps3 owners are doing. there will be games for Ps3 and good ones. especially the ones too late in the devleopment cycle to cancel.

Eteric Rice

kpop100 said:
do you actually play games, or do you just sit around the house thinking of asinine shit

speaking of which it wouldn't hurt to take a 10 min break from GAF now and again, over 30 posts a day? :lol

Whelp, my computer is right next to my TV. So I play for a bit, pause, check GAF, play for a bit, pause, check GAF, so on and so forth.

And yes, I play games. Currently playing Dragon Quest VIII tyvm. :D

Brofist

Eteric Rice said:
Whelp, my computer is right next to my TV. So I play for a bit, pause, check GAF, play for a bit, pause, check GAF, so on and so forth.

well that's a relief :D

apujanata

Square2005 said:
Guys this is a comparison of the months after all of NIntendo's past home console launches versus the Wii:
Now the NES & SNES are my estimates but I've done alotta research (reading old articles, etc.) to get an idea of how they were selling so it should be fairly accurate at least the LTDs are (NPD reported SNES broke past 1.5m in February '92).
The NES test launched in New York in October 1985 then in LA in Feb. '86 so it wasn't available nationwide until the following year after its test launch so it didn't 'really' launch until late 1986 nationwide.
(BTW this is not from ********).
The N64, GC is of course from the NPD. If anyone has more accurate NES, SNES data please share it and I'll update the graph if it's legit.

NES available nationwide: by Fall of 1986
SNES first available at limited chains (Toys 'R' Us): Aug. 1991, official launch: Sept. 9, 1991.
N64 officially launched nationwide: Sept. 29, 1996
GC " " " : Nov. 18, 2001
Wii " " " : Nov. 19, 2006

So Wii sales are extremely impressive in the States (and of course Japan) post-Christmas compared to the previous record selling Big N console the N64!

Can you do a similar graphic, but instead of paralelling the months of the year, you start from launch (even if it is limited launch, like NES). And include other console, such as Sony's and MSFT's.

I would like to see how the first few months of sales stack up, since my data does not go way back (to NES, SNES era).

Innotech

Banned
Im playing a bit of SPM in between my ranting. currently on a very strange part later in the game that I totally didnt see coming. Its hilarious though. I dunno why people pan this game, its awesome.

kpop100 said:

Perrin? Is that you?

Branduil

AniHawk said:

Well it's about time old-school Sega fans got some company.

joetachi

Innotech said:
I dont even think us nintendo fans went as crazy as some of these folks in the Sony camp are. Then again I only started posting here this year. I dont recall it ever being that insane at other forums either though. I guess I was just playing whatever I could find on Gamecube and not really caring, similar to how many Ps3 owners are doing. there will be games for Ps3 and good ones. especially the ones too late in the devleopment cycle to cancel.
Are you forgeting 1997, what makes it kinda worse is that the Ps3 is getting beaten by a weaker system.

apujanata

Eteric Rice said:

Well, that means DQ8 is not immersive enough for you, since you could pause the game, or you are a core Duo type guy (can do multi-tasking). Myself, I usually play game non-stop (I'm a single tasking guy, not some Core Duo guy)

Eteric Rice

apujanata said:
Well, that means DQ8 is not immersive enough for you, since you could pause the game, or you are a core Duo type guy (can do multi-tasking). Myself, I usually play game non-stop (I'm a single tasking guy, not some Core Duo guy)

I used to be able to do that when I was younger (would play games all day without stopping) but since I've gotten older I find I get bored if I play to much at a time.

Though I've had a couple long sessions in DQ already. I don't even think it's half way beat, yet.

Anyway, not playing anything atm, hence the quick replies. Actually, I'm watching this.

Innotech

Banned
joetachi said:
Are you forgeting 1997, what makes it kinda worse is that the Ps3 is getting beaten by a weaker system.

thats what I mean. When Gamecube came out most nintendo fans knew their reign was over. I wasnt around online when PS1 came out. Hell at that time I was diehard Pc gamer playing Sim city, Descent, Heretic/doom, Need For speed back before it sucked ass, and aside from that basically playing Gameboy and old NES (never had SNES). So I guess back then I was more concerned with finding and affording an N64 because I didnt know much about the PS1 and I honestly didnt care enough to find out. I knew osmeone who had one and after playing its games, the only one I actually took to was....Need For speed 2:lol But since I had THAT game on Pc and in better quality, with more cars and tracks in an SE version and a 3DFX voodoo card, I didnt care much about PS1 at the time. Hell I didnt actually get an N64 until around 1998 when it had a shedload of games that I wanted and a price drop. But after I played OOt, Mario 64, and Starfox 64 I was once again a devoted nintendo gamer and have been since.

Innotech

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
I used to be able to do that when I was younger (would play games all day without stopping) but since I've gotten older I find I get bored if I play to much at a time.

Though I've had a couple long sessions in DQ already. I don't even think it's half way beat, yet.

Anyway, not playing anything atm, hence the quick replies. Actually, I'm watching this.

why are Koreans so infatuated with Starcraft?

apujanata said:

One of the reason I prefer PS3 is because I owned PS1 and PS2, but I didn't own XBOX.
I'm rooting for Nintendo with Sony as a distant second. I don't want the 360's business acumen of nickel and diming and downloadable pricing(whihc should be free and value added) everyone as the standard.

Vinnk

TJ Spyke said:
No Fist of the North Star pachinko game? I was even the first person to reply to requests. :(

So sorry.. I thought I was missing something..

New list:

Wii
DS lit
PS3
Ouendan 2
Forza 2
Biohazard 4
Kokutou no Ken: Pachinko

Innotech

Banned
bmf said:
Are used Wii systems ever available?

I know used Ds is, in Japan I think I remember seeing a blog feature about a DS on sale for almost full price despite being dirty and broken. I imagine the wii is similarly scarce to find used. and when it is, its probably snapped up immediately.

Vinnk

bmf said:
Are used Wii systems ever available?

From time to time. Since I started doing the "Vinnk's Villiage report" I have seen 5 or 6. They are usually only about $10 less than a new one. Before christmas Used Wii systems where selling for about $30 more than a new one (but there were no new ones to be found). Even today in certain big cities you can find used Wii systems selling for more than a new one.

Xbox 360 on the other hand... A used Blue Dragon Special edition can be found for $220-$280 at most stores.

Used PS3s also have fairly substantial price drops. One store in town will only pay you $180 for a used 60gig PS3. Ouch.

apujanata

Vinnk said:
From time to time. Since I started doing the "Vinnk's Villiage report" I have seen 5 or 6. They are usually only about $10 less than a new one. Before christmas Used Wii systems where selling for about $30 more than a new one (but there were no new ones to be found). Even today in certain big cities you can find used Wii systems selling for more than a new one.

Xbox 360 on the other hand... A used Blue Dragon Special edition can be found for $220-$280 at most stores.

Used PS3s also have fairly substantial price drops. One store in town will only pay you $180 for a used 60gig PS3. Ouch.

The owner of PS3 60 (Premium??) can not even trade in at a surplus for used Wii. He need to spend US$10 ($190-$180) to get used Wii or USD 20 (200-180) to get new Wii. (I used 1 US$ = 100 yen, which of course, might not be today's actual rate, but it simplify my rough estimate / calculation. Bad news ideed for PS3 owner.

when a store spend $180 to buy a used PS3, how much they usually charge it to the new buyer ?

Vinnk

That store? I don't remember exactally but around $400-$420.

I think more than anything it shows a lack of confidence that if they buy a secondhand PS3 that they would be able to sell it at all.

Vinnk said:
That store? I don't remember exactally but around $400-$420.

I think more than anything it shows a lack of confidence that if they buy a secondhand PS3 that they would be able to sell it at all.
What do the Japanese typically use for Ebay-like services? Would I be able to sign up to such a service from overseas?

I'm thinking that when the time finally comes for me to get a PS3, I'll buy it second-hand off a private seller in Japan (the PS3 costs ~US$800 here). Hell, if it's cheap enough, I'll probably get it sooner than my currently planned 2012.

Vinnk

vicious_killer_squirrel said:
What do the Japanese typically use for Ebay-like services? Would I be able to sign up to such a service from overseas?

I'm thinking that when the time finally comes for me to get a PS3, I'll buy it second-hand off a private seller in Japan (the PS3 costs ~US$800 here). Hell, if it's cheap enough, I'll probably get it sooner than my currently planned 2012.

The big one in Japan is Yahoo auctions. eBay is not so well known here.

And if any of you do want Japanese stuff. Maybe I could hook you up.

Vinnk, I don't know if you live near one of those fabled Japanese megastores we see pictures of on the Internet, but have you ever seen a copy of Sin and Punishment for N64?

Vinnk

BrodiemanTTR said:
Vinnk, I don't know if you live near one of those fabled Japanese megastores we see pictures of on the Internet, but have you ever seen a copy of Sin and Punishment for N64?

Hiro has one in his shop for $42

EDIT: But I bet I could talk him down on the price.

Vinnk said:
The big one in Japan is Yahoo auctions. eBay is not so well known here.

And if any of you do want Japanese stuff. Maybe I could hook you up.
That'd work pretty well, actually. We'll just get stuff sent to your house, then you can have it shipped it across the Pacific to those of us who don't have the good fortune to live in the Gaming Promised Land.

Even if you charge us a small margin, the enourmous price gulf between some countries and Japan will mean you'll get our money AND our eternal gratitude.

You Vinnk, are the very definition of AWESOME.

Vinnk

That'd work pretty well, actually. We'll just get stuff sent to your house, then you can have it shipped it across the Pacific to those of us who don't have the good fortune to live in the Gaming Promised Land.

Even if you charge us a small margin, the enourmous price gulf between some countries and Japan will mean you'll get our money AND our eternal gratitude.

You Vinnk, are the very definition of AWESOME.

I do it for my friends all the time. But paying shipping twice kind of sucks. I am actually in the process of setting up an online store. I am talking to Famicom Dojo to see if I can list all their products.

Epiphyte said:
That's surprising. I had been led to believe that the Hot Shots brand was pretty powerful over in Japan.
And that's why you don't rely on Amazon charts.

Vic said:
I'm definitively interested in the RE4 numbers in the coming weeks. Will it sell more than 100k?
I'm optimistically guessing more in the 30.000-40.000 range. Would deserve 100.000 day one sales though.

Vinnk said:
I do it for my friends all the time. But paying shipping twice kind of sucks. I am actually in the process of setting up an online store. I am talking to Famicom Dojo to see if I can list all their products.
Economies of scale = cheaper shipping. I like.

Any scope for pre-loved goods though?

Vinnk

Economies of scale = cheaper shipping. I like.

Any scope for pre-loved goods though?

Almost everything at his shop is used and most of the prices are pretty low.

But I fear I am derailing this thread once again, so if any of you are interested in anything please send me a PM. I am more than happy to help out fellow gamers.

Vinnk said:
Almost everything at his shop is used and most of the prices are pretty low.

But I fear I am derailing this thread once again, so if any of you are interested in anything please send me a PM. I am more than happy to help out fellow gamers.

Derailing it from what? :lol

Top Bottom