• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 5/14 - 5/20

jimbo

Banned
schuelma said:
Ok, so why won't it in the future? By your own statements 360 already has a shitload of games already out. So shouldn't it already be selling very well?

At $250, I'm sure it would be.

In fact there's no doubt in my mind that it will be. Which is why the Wii will never catch the 360 in the US. One significant price drop is all it will take.

Guys this is a comparison of the months after all of NIntendo's past home console launches versus the Wii:
Now the NES & SNES are my estimates but I've done alotta research (reading old articles, etc.) to get an idea of how they were selling so it should be fairly accurate at least the LTDs are (NPD reported SNES broke past 1.5m in February '92).
The NES test launched in New York in October 1985 then in LA in Feb. '86 so it wasn't available nationwide until the following year after its test launch so it didn't 'really' launch until late 1986 nationwide.
(BTW this is not from ********).
The N64, GC is of course from the NPD. If anyone has more accurate NES, SNES data please share it and I'll update the graph if it's legit.

518489258_614bb0fc20_o.png

NES available nationwide: by Fall of 1986
SNES first available at limited chains (Toys 'R' Us): Aug. 1991, official launch: Sept. 9, 1991.
N64 officially launched nationwide: Sept. 29, 1996
GC " " " : Nov. 18, 2001
Wii " " " : Nov. 19, 2006

So Wii sales are extremely impressive in the States (and of course Japan) post-Christmas compared to the previous record selling Big N console the N64!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
jimbo said:
At $250, I'm sure it would be.

Fair point..in my opinion the Wii would still be outselling it because of the Wii Sports phenomenon. And aren't prices already pretty low in Europe and Japan?

Grampasso

jimbo said:
So now people that bought a 360 FOR Oblivion, Madden, Gears of War, Dead Rising, Project Gotham Racing, etc are NOT allowed to buy Halo 3?
Well, IMHO a reasonable amount of the Halo 3 audience already picked up a 360 for games like Gears of War, for example :) I'd agree with you if the console in question was lacking in the genre (only taking into account at least AA titles, btw), but this is not the case so I think there won't be a huge spike in sales.
Anyway, I may be wrong :)

jimbo

Banned
RiskyChris said:
An extremely diverse library. DDR, GH, JRPGS (oh so many), GTA, shit licensed trash, quirky experimental games, eyetoy, singstar, etc.

To try to say the 360's library attracts just as well as the PS2 one is a grave insult to the PS2's library.

It wasn't JUST a diverse library. It was a diverse library with GENRE DEFINING franchises LIKE MGS, GTA, DMC, RE, GT, FF, Tekken, RR, etc etc. The majority of which, along with a lot of other crap....are still coming to the 360, and/or PS3. NOT the Wii.

Evlar

Banned
It's interesting how Wii ignores the trend in January and February. Makes you wonder how high that December spike could have been if they had the supply.

jimbo

Banned
schuelma said:
Fair point..in my opinion the Wii would still be outselling it because of the Wii Sports phenomenon. And aren't prices already pretty low in Europe and Japan?

In Japan? It could be given away for free and it wouldn't outsell the Wii. In Europe no, they're not across the board.

felipeko

jimbo said:
[/B]

What the hell do you think sold all those PS and PS2's? Sponge Bob?
If we take the highest selling games from best franchises on the PS2 look how many titles would be necessary to get 100 million:
Wikipedia said:
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (13 million)
Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec (11 million)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (7 million)
Kingdom Hearts (5.6 million shipped)
Final Fantasy X (5 million)
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King (approximately 4.48 million)
Madden NFL 2004 (3.5 million in US only)
Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy (3.2 million)
WWE SmackDown! vs. RAW 2006 (2.9 million)
Need for Speed: Underground (2.6 million in US only)
Medal of Honor: Frontline (2.5 million in US only)
Devil May Cry (2.16 million)
Spider-Man: The Movie (2.1 million in US only)
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (2.1 million in US only)
Onimusha: Warlords (2.02 million)
Resident Evil 4 (2 million)
ATV Offroad Fury (1.7 million in US only)
NBA Street (1.7 million in US only)
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai (1.7 million in US only)
ESPN NFL 2K5 (1.7 million in US only)
Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex (1.7 million in US only)
Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies (1.7 million in US only)
Yakuza (1.7 million)
Max Payne (1.6 million in US only)
The Simpsons Road Rage (1.6 million in US only)
Midnight Club: Street Racing (1.5 million in US only
Star Wars: Battlefront (1.5 million in US only)
James Bond 007: Agent Under Fire (1.5 million in US only)
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (1.5 million in US only)
True Crime: Streets of LA (1.5 million in US only)
Tekken Tag Tournament (1.4 million in US only)
Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance (1.4 million in US only)
SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs (1.4 million in US only)
Guitar Hero II (1.3 million in US only)

I know a lot that is not the best source, and a lot of them are US only, but that should give you a good answer.

jman2050

jimbo said:
It wasn't JUST a diverse library. It was a diverse library with GENRE DEFINING franchises LIKE MGS, GTA, DMC, RE, GT, FF, Tekken, RR, etc etc. The majority of which, along with a lot of other crap....are still coming to the 360, and/or PS3. NOT the Wii.

But if they're simply sequels to existing games, then they aren't genre-defining anymore, are they?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
jman2050 said:
But if they're simply sequels to existing games, then they aren't genre-defining anymore, are they?

On a similar note..I think you could argue that Wii Sports is a "genre-defining" game in and of itself.

jimbo said:

You don't need genre defining franchises to be market leader, unfortunately. There are a lot of alternatives to the games you've listed (NG, Forza, insert-generic-fighter, etc.).

schuelma said:
On a similar note..I think you could argue that Wii Sports is a "genre-defining" game in and of itself.

Not to mention Zelda, Mario, Metroid...

jimbo

Banned
RiskyChris said:
You don't need genre defining franchises to be market leader, unfortunately. There are a lot of alternatives to the games you've listed (NG, Forza, insert-generic-fighter, etc.).

Not to mention Zelda, Mario, Metroid...

Metroid is genre defining?

jimbo's comments ignores the life of any franchise.

Each franchise sees a rise, maturation, saturation, and subsequent decline.

If you look at Sales LTD for many franchises, There is usually an increase, followed by a huge success, then a steady decline after time.

In this same vein, titles like DMC, MGS, Zelda, GoW, Halo, Metroid, even Mario in all his incarnations, all go through this cycle unless there is a drastic change to the formula or reinvention.

keeping this in mind, why are we content to believe that the titles that brought Sony fame and fortune last gen would be the titles to continue on to super success in this generation?

jimbo

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:
jimbo's comments ignores the life of any franchise.

Each franchise sees a rise, maturation, saturation, and subsequent decline.

If you look at Sales LTD for many franchises, There is usually an increase, followed by a huge success, then a steady decline after time.

In this same vein, titles like DMC, MGS, Zelda, GoW, Halo, Metroid, even Mario in all his incarnations, all go through this cycle unless there is a drastic change to the formula or reinvention.

keeping this in mind, why are we content to believe that the titles that brought Sony fame and fortune last gen would be the titles to continue on to super success in this generation?

In that case the Wii's really screwed with its biggest games this fall being, Metroid, SSB and Mario Galaxy, which by your logic should be seeing their winding down.

Anyway, I'm going to dinner and then gonna finish Pirates of the Caribbeans with my wife since she just came home from work. You guys have fun.

CAn we stop talking about jumbo!?
Let's talk about more important things like my graph and how much more successful the Wii has become in comparison with ALL of Nintendo's previous consoles...! I spent alotta time on that graph!! Sheesh.

jimbo said:
In that case the Wii's really screwed with its biggest games this fall being, Metroid, SSB and Mario Galaxy, which by your logic should be seeing their winding down.

Anyway, I'm going to dinner and then gonna finish Pirates of the Caribbeans with my wife since she just came home from work. You guys have fun.

Mario and SSBB are on the upswing.

jimbo

Banned
Square2005 said:
Let's talk about more important things like my graph and how much more successful the Wii has become in comparison with ALL of Nintendo's previous consoles...! Sheesh.

My friend, popularity is really hard to achive. It doesn't come overnight. And you have to go against the grain. You're just talking about what they want to hear. That's not worth 30 pages ;p

OK and with that I'm out.

Evlar

Banned
Why are we now arguing over which genre-defining franchises led PS2 to success? I reject the whole premise! The genre defining franchises, with a couple exceptions, were on the PS2 BECAUSE either it or its predecessor was successful, not the other way around.

PS2 won because a variety of factors made it the default console in the minds of consumers by the end of the first year, and its competitors launched "me too" consoles that couldn't offer enough compelling reasons for the average consumer to swim against the prevailing pro-PS2 current. The console war was over within six months after the launch of GC and XBox. There's even an image of Ken at a slideshow presentation that makes this exact claim.

If there were two games that cemented PS2's lead it was FFX (promised for more than a year before PS2's launch, and guaranteed to the system because of Square's success on the PS1) and GTA3 (which came out of nowhere and stole the limelight just when the competitors were trying to launch). All the other games listed as killer apps on the PS2 were consequences of the console's ascendence by June 2002, NOT the cause of it.

jimbo said:
My friend, popularity is really hard to achive. It doesn't come overnight. And you have to go against the grain. You're just talking about what they want to hear. That's not worth 30 pages ;p

That's rich. Jimbo thinks he just won a popularity contest or something.

Jimbo's approval rating is currently:

Wonderdave and Wazoo

The Sphinx said:
Why are we now arguing over which genre-defining franchises led PS2 to success? I reject the whole premise! The genre defining franchises, with a couple exceptions, were on the PS2 BECAUSE either it or its predecessor was successful, not the other way around.

PS2 won because a variety of factors made it the default console in the minds of consumers by the end of the first year, and its competitors launched "me too" consoles that couldn't offer enough compelling reasons for the average consumer to swim against the prevailing pro-PS2 current. The console war was over within six months after the launch of GC and XBox. There's even an image of Ken at a slideshow presentation that makes this exact claim.

If there were two games that cemented PS2's lead it was FFX (promised for more than a year before PS2's launch, and guaranteed to the system because of Square's success on the PS1) and GTA3 (which came out of nowhere and stole the limelight just when the competitors were trying to launch). All the other games listed as killer apps on the PS2 were consequences of the console's ascendence by June 2002, NOT the cause of it.

Agreed.

The Sphinx said:

I got so caught up in ignorance that I couldn't formulate this thought. Games like DMC didn't cement PS2's place in the world, PS2's place in the world (specifically, PLAYSTATION's) cemented DMC's platform.

Brak

Square2005 said:
I have to give you a thumbs up for this graph. It's WAAAAAY better than your previous graphs with the pictures in the background and all that other distracting stuff.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
PL said:
Promised Land. First of all, there's the "promised titles." These are the 1st-party stuff you know you'll get on the console of choice. Mario, GT, Halo. I don't believe THOSE will ever directly impact sales outside of the early adoption stage--the people that want THOSE games want THOSE systems. They don't typically wait until the promised titles are released. This was a purchase that was made long before the anticipated game was released. (See: SSBB, HALO3). My theory is that the software impact of these types of titles is front loaded into the sales. You know, the old "only Nintendo fans are buying it" argument. These lead directly to the next phase of titles. Ok, let's go from there.

Note that I'm numbering your points to reply to.

jimbo said:
Your post is way too long to try to debate all the point you made, but this one in particular stood out as completely wrong.

1. This way of thinking is pretty popular among gamers on GAF and it's extremely flawed. Most people DO NOT buy consoles for games that come out 2 years later. They buy consoles for what they can play on them now. Watch what happens to 360 hardware in September when Halo 3 comes.

2. Pay attention to what happened to European sales because of the Halo 3 beta. People have known for quite some time that you could play the beta through Crackdown....so if your theory is correct....why was there a spike in Crackdown sales? Gamers knew for some time that if they wanted the beta they HAD to buy Crackdown. Why didn't they ALL buy it a long time ago?

3. Because people don't INVEST in videogames. They spend their money on immediate returns. A game that comes out months or years later is NOT an IMMEDIATE RETURN. It's an eventual return, a guarantee......but there's better stuff for them to spend their money on RIGHT NOW.

4. Just look at all the people on this forum that say they will buy so and so console when so and so game comes out. Sure they KNOW it WILL come out. But they're still not buying that console now.

5. And of course the other 80% of gamers....that don't spend their time on GAF don't even know when a game is coming out, of if it's even coming out at all. We do. But most people don't.

1. You're wrong, plain and simple. If you look at my quote in which you have disagreed, I am talking about 1st party games and their impact on hardware sales, and I'm right. Almost the entirety of hardware sales from these games (Zelda, Mario, Gran Turismo, etc) are front-loaded into the console's early phase. If you'd like to argue against that, you must agree to NEVER suggest that the people buying launch systems are "just Nintendo fans" ever again. People buy launch systems because of what they know is coming. People by Nintendo at the early stages because they KNOW they'll get at least one Mario, one Zelda, and one Metroid. Throw in a Mario Kart, a DK game, some Pokemon...and you have your hardcore hardware-buying public--and they almost entirely get the system the moment it launches. Same thing with Sony products. Now, if you wanted to argue that people aren't buying the XBOX 360 at the beginning for 1st party games, you'd have a much easier time arguing that--they have a lot less established franchises.

2. Irrelevant. You're talking about software's impact on software sales. I'm talking about software impact on hardware sales.

3. The other issue with this basic argument is that you suggest that people don't "invest" in videogame systems. How ****ing arrogantly ignorant can you get? It's like you're trying to be obtuse just to get a rise out of people. Are you trying to suggest that people don't buy launch hardware under the assumption that they'll eventually get the "promised" titles that they expect from the 1st-party? Wouldn't buying launch hardware be as ignorant as your arguments? Sounds stupid to me. Well--it's NOT stupid. Everybody buys systems under the assumption that the promised titles are coming out eventually. It's not a hard concept at all.

4. Now there is a teeny tiny little point to be made, and one in which you might be helped by capitalizing on. The price of the systems. When a system is ****ing $399-$599, then you get people waiting to buy hardware. Hell--I'm waiting too. OF COURSE people are waiting to buy a system when such n such comes out. Those hardware prices throw the whole thing out the window because they make the price barrier so much higher, making the initial "promise" that much more of a stake. Basically, they have to offer that much more before casuals will make the leap of faith and drop half a thousand on a new console. So when Halo 3 comes out and (if) we see a bump in 360 hardware, it's not because the majority of Halo fans didn't already own a 360 (and they do), it's because up until that moment...the 360 wasn't worth the purchase to them. In that sense, titles like that become part of the avalanche that may convince the greater majority of casuals to purchase a system.

5. Those 80% of gamers that you refer to make most of their hardware purchases because of the greater sum of games, which I referred to as 'The Avalanche' in my original post. Not sure what that has to do with first party games, unless those games are the motivator that convinces them a hardware purchase (in addition to the greater sum of all games available for the system) is worth it.

jimbo said:

Wii Health Pack. And Mario is an exception to the rule, with Metroid possibly redefining FPS/FPA games by reinventing thier control scheme.

nli10

Square2005 said:
Let's talk about more important things like my graph and how much more successful the Wii has become in comparison with ALL of Nintendo's previous consoles...! I spent alotta time on that graph!! Sheesh.

But it's all US data in a Jp based thread??!!

Nice graph though, although I'm not quite sure what point it illustrates. :)

nli10 said:
But it's all US data in a Jp based thread??!!

Nice graph though, although I'm not quite sure what point it illustrates. :)
It illustrates the post-holiday sales dive that could reasonably assumed to have only happened on the Wii because of supply constraints.

Vyer

jimbo said:

And this should tell you guys why you shouldn't waste 30 pages 'arguing' with jimbo.

Not that any of you will listen.

Vyer said:
And this should tell you guys why you shouldn't waste 30 pages 'arguing' with jimbo.

Not that any of you will listen.
There's an ignore list in the user CP. I highly suggest that everyone become familiar with it.

d[-_-]b

Banned
bmf said:
There's an ignore list in the user CP. I highly suggest that everyone become familiar with it.
Thank god, for telling me this, now I can ignore alot of the jokers around here. dronhe and drinky crow or w/e.

d[-_-]b said:
Thank god, for telling me this, now I can ignore alot of the jokers around here. dronhe and drinky crow or w/e.
dronhe and drinky can be funny a lot of the time. jimbo is just a flat out troll, who's either being flat out ignored by the mods, or is one of their joke characters.

bmf said:
Yeah, but the ignore list doesn't hide posts that get quoted. And since most annoying posters or trolls get quoted quite a lot, the ignore function is useless. I still have to endure the crap from posters I hate.

d[-_-]b

Banned
bmf said:
dronhe and drinky can be funny a lot of the time. jimbo is just a flat out troll, who's either being flat out ignored by the mods, or is one of their joke characters.
To each his own, I don't find them funny at all just annyoing.

nli10

bmf said:
It illustrates the post-holiday sales dive that could reasonably assumed to have only happened on the Wii because of supply constraints.

All 3 of the recent Nintendo systems have periods post holidays that are labled as 'supply constrained' though. I can see Wii has a smoother curve though - maybe a cumulative version of the chart would be clearer?

Does illustrate the point that lowering the price of a console in its first 6 months has no major impact on sales after the initial blip and just says to the market that you had been fleecing them over the Xmas period. Still believe that Sony should stick to their guns on this one.

Meh, I have no problem with Jimbo. He believes what he believes. At least he doesn't act elitist and condescending because your points aren't aligned with his. (That i've seen, anyway.)

DeaconKnowledge said:
Meh, I have no problem with Jimbo. He believes what he believes. At least he doesn't act elitist and condescending because your points aren't aligned with his. (That i've seen, anyway.)

jimbo said:

jimbo was doing that for the attention and for his own entertainment. That much is obvious.

TJ Spyke

Just ignore jimbo, nobody believes anything he says and you guys insist on egging him on.

Back on topic, how much longer before GameCube sales drop to 0?

TJ Spyke said:
Just ignore jimbo, nobody believes anything he says and you guys insist on egging him on.

Back on topic, how much longer before GameCube sales drop to 0?
It'll float at about where it is until it's just not available new anymore, or it gets delisted by media create.

Vinnk

Wow.. looks like I missed the "fun".

I would complain that the thread got totally derailed by Halo 3 talk but that would be hypocritical since I derailed it a few days ago myself.

Top Bottom