• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 5/28 - 6/3

Just some observations:

I can't believe The PS3 is travelling MUCH worse than Gamecube was at the same point in its life. Scary thoughts.

Wii already has this generation cleaned up in Japan, it's just a matter of how big the domination will be.

DS rules all, and it appears that most software, even from 3rd parties, sells very well on the system. Hopefully this starts translating to the Wii.

Pachael

.dmc said:
To be fair, being within 5k of those estimations isn't too difficult, infact, can you imagine a week with 7.5k 360 or 14k PS3?

I want this to happen:

X360 having negative sales due to returns of the console due to 3ROD
PS3 sales below X360

Just for the comedy, of course.

Alkaliine said:
Just some observations:

I can't believe The PS3 is travelling MUCH worse than Gamecube was at the same point in its life. Scary thoughts.
And what's even scarier is that it's getting progressively worse. Nintendo essentially has a monopoly in Japan right now.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
At this rate wii will reach 3 millions before PS3 reaches 1 million, and it would reach 10 millions before PS3 sells 2 million units.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
At this point in time, where was the GC and the DC at comparative to the PS3 and Wii as far as timeline

Anyone feel like taking what's known about trends, and extrapolate a chart out for the rest of the year, along with marketshare percentages?

CorwinB

ShockingAlberto said:
I can beat that.

I bought a PSP for Bleach: Heat the Soul.

At least, that game is out, no ? Do you happen to know that there are two most excellent Bleach games on DS ? :lol (love rubbing salt in wounds).

Nowadays, my PSP's greatest use is as a portable FAQ browser that I can use when playing 360 games.

Wiitard

Banned
Kinda wonder what is gonna happen to PS3 sales after they sell out of the 1 million they shipped last year to Japan. I imagine A LOT of the sales are now being driven by retailers trying to get rid of the stock with increasing desperation. I can see PS3 dropping below 5,000 when they finally succeed.

By the way, I was wondering if it is possible that Wii has already surpassed the 360 WW install base? It probably will in the next 4 weeks. At least if we acount for 5% 360 defect rate...

Wiitard said:
Kinda wonder what is gonna happen to PS3 sales after they sell out of the 1 million they shipped last year to Japan. I imagine A LOT of the sales are now being driven by retailers trying to get rid of the stock with increasing desperation. I can see PS3 dropping below 5,000 when they finally succeed.

By the way, I was wondering if it is possible that Wii has already surpassed the 360 WW install base? It probably will in the next 4 weeks. At least if we acount for 5% 360 defect rate...

Wii hasn't surpassed the WW 360 install base yet, it's got a fair bit to go.

Branduil

I really miss Sega as a legitimate hardware maker and software developer. In my dreams Sony becomes software-exclusive, as does MS, then Sega comes back next-gen for the best head-to-head rumble since SNES vs. Genesis. Of course it will never happen, but dreams are dreams.

CorwinB said:
At least, that game is out, no ? Do you happen to know that there are two most excellent Bleach games on DS ? :lol (love rubbing salt in wounds).

Nowadays, my PSP's greatest use is as a portable FAQ browser that I can use when playing 360 games.
Yes. They're out. They're out and they're awful, awful games.

The license redeemed itself with Bleach DS, though!

bmf said:
Anyone feel like taking what's known about trends, and extrapolate a chart out for the rest of the year, along with marketshare percentages?

Well I can help a LITTLE bit on that, without marketshare. I'll leave all the percentages and stuff to Panther, Josh, donny, and such.

DSJapan-2.png

Results/Analysis
> For DS to NOT beat its 2006 YTD by the end of Quarter 2 (Week 26), it would have to average sales below 33,000 units per week for the next 4 weeks
+ The DS's 2007 YTD by Week 22 is just shy of 130,000 units. It is guaranteed to beat it's 06 YTD by AT LEAST two weeks ahead (Week 24).

> For the DS to beat its 2006 YTD by the end of Quarter 3 (Week 39), it would have to average sales ABOVE 140,000 units per week for the next 17 weeks
+ With DS being in good standing shelf-stockwise, and averaging around 110k - 120k per week, it may not beat its 06 Q3 YTD
+ Some key releases however, may just propel it WELL above 140,000 for a week or two, which could drastically lower the average it needs to beat Q3 2006.

> It may be hard to grasp, but in terms of just the first half of the year, the DS has outsold it's own LAUNCH numbers (07 YTD > 06 YTD despite DSLite being launched in 06).

I was thinking that if we average out the past 10 weeks or so for each system, we can probably repeat out to sometime in November, and be pretty close on the cumulative side, but I think that December will be pretty hard to predict.

bmf said:
I was thinking that if we average out the past 10 weeks or so for each system, we can probably repeat out to sometime in November, and be pretty close on the cumulative side, but I think that December will be pretty hard to predict.

I was going to do that up until the last week of November (week 48), but I think that would give us too much time and too many variables.

Plus if we take the average of any data past the last 4 weeks, it's too big and unrealistic compared to our weekly DS sales now:

Weekly average of past 10 weeks = 156,025
Weekly average of past 5 weeks = 177,832
Weekly average of past 3 weeks = 120,640

Problem is golden week screws it up

test_account

XP-39C²
I dont think its too unlikely that PS3 will reach 1 million within a month from now. 3 releases by then: Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Folks Soul and My Summer Vacation 3 (any more games then?).

medrew

test_account said:
I dont think its too unlikely that PS3 will reach 1 million within a month from now. 3 releases by then: Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Folks Soul and My Summer Vacation 3 (any more games then?).

Well considering you said it had pretty much reached a million a week or two back then for your sake I really do hope it does.

However given that Ninja Gaiden on Xbox didn't ignite sales and My Summer Vacation isn't exactly a hardware mover I would be surprised to see it jump above 20k for one week, let alone average it for four.

test_account said:

...and it'll have taken just 8 months to get there.

test_account

XP-39C²
medrew said:
Well considering you said it had pretty much reached a million a week or two back then for your sake I really do hope it does.

When did i say that? I said like 3 weeks ago that 900k was close to 1 million, people started arguing about it and i said that "close" is relative. I never said that PS3 had pretty much reached 1 million units sold in Japan or how long it would take to reach the 1 million mark.

Hammer24 said:
I´m pretty sure he meant "august" when he said "a month".

I ment 30/31 days from now.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
cvxfreak said:
Media Create thinks NSMB has the possibility of breaking 5 Million.
Only has the possibility? :lol
I think at this point, even PS3forums members know that this is a no brainer.
Well done MC.

test_account

XP-39C²
Jokeropia said:
It needs to increase it's weekly average by more than 100% to manage that. Considering that it's still in decline, I'd say it's a stretch.

Ye, it might not happend and i'm not saying that it will happend just to underline that, but i dont think its 100% unlikely with 3 games comming out in that period :) I dont know if these games are system sellers or if most people who are going to buy them already own a PS3 tho, so i'm just guessing. Still about 5 weeks until we know the answer tho (MC is 1 week behind, therefor 5 weeks). But i do agree, it is a stretch.

cvxfreak

Let's not forget Brain Age 2 either. It (barely) outsold NSMB this week and is only 170K behind. I think Animal Crossing is out of the runnings for 5 Million myself, but it's not impossible.

Eteric Rice

cvxfreak said:
Let's not forget Brain Age 2 either. It (barely) outsold NSMB this week and is only 170K behind. I think Animal Crossing is out of the runnings for 5 Million myself, but it's not impossible.

Depends on how long the DS is around. It's about 2 years old now? So we have at least another 2 years left for them to hit that mark.

ksamedi

Eteric Rice said:
Depends on how long the DS is around. It's about 2 years old now? So we have at least another 2 years left for them to hit that mark.

With the succes of the platform, i can see Nintendo supporting it for the next 7 years.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
By the way, the Retro Studios Webiste is down since almost a month. What's going on ?
Probably a revamp overhaul for Metroid Prime 3.

Or an entirely new IP!!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
the crazy thing is, there's a good chance that NSMB tops the sales charts this holiday season AGAIN in Japan. :lol

It could end up selling 300-500k this holiday season, which would put it, at the pace it's currently going at, well above 5 million (up to 5.5 million?)

First day sales (from sinobi):

PSP Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai - Another Road - 20k
PSP Final Fantasy II - 20k
WII Harvest Moon: Tree of Peace - 15k
NDS Stock Trader Shun - <5k
NDS Suujin Taisen - <5k

No number for PS2 Hisshou Pachinko/Pachislo Capture Series, Vol. 10: CR Neon Geneses Evangelion but that one looks to be the top1 game next week, previous one did 210k although its doesn't look like its going to beat that.

FF2 doesn't look like it'll as good as FF1 (50k first week), same for DBZ SB2 (first one did 60k first week).

Top Bottom