• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 6/25 - 7/1

cvxfreak

Cheesemeister said:
Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon outsold Ocarina of Time. o_O

Perhaps a combined franchise chart would put things in perspective.

Yeah, the DS Blue version sold like 850K and the GBA Red version sold 700K, or around there.

DQ Hero

mario_history.png

Where is the love for SMW2 :(

KINGMOKU

Ahhhh, back in the saddle after my month long sabbatical.

Nice charts, and back just in time for NPD, and E3.

Havnt done a photoshop in a month, either.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
moku said:
Ahhhh, back in the saddle after my month long sabbatical.

Nice charts, and back just in time for NPD, and E3.

Havnt done a photoshop in a month, either.

Moku's back!!!

Like you said...very good timing. Next couple weeks should be quite fun.

Saitou

Banned
Oblivion said:
Not a Mario game. Sry.
If you check the titles in grey, not actually graphed, you'll see YIDS. I can't imagine the original YI to have sold as little as to not even be worth mentioning.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Saitou said:
If you check the titles in grey, not actually graphed, you'll see YIDS. I can't imagine the original YI to have sold as little as to not even be worth mentioning.

I don't have the figures for it, that's all. Unfortunately the data for the SNES/Genesis era or earlier is very hard to come by... same reason why Pokemon Pinball and the Pokemon Card games are not listed on the Pokemon graph.

If anyone has the data for any games I'm missing, I'd be happy to update all of the graphs.

CoolTrick

Banned
Diamond/Pearl and Ruby/Sapphire are actually less than 250K away from each other IIRC.

I wasn't talking about that, it's the other three. Red/Blue/Green sold around 10 million, GSC around 8, and RSE around 6.

SRG01

Pureauthor said:
I'd have typed up a response sooner, but I was playing Ouendan 2 on my DS.

Buy a DS, man.

:lol I just bought a PSP for the upcoming D&D:T and FFT. I'm still a bit broke from my graduate student salary to buy a NDS so soon!!

edit: ... Now I have to buy MH:p, don't I?

Terrell

jetjevons said:
That's not what I meant by next-gen. Yes, that's the literal interpretation but I assume the term 'next-gen' as is generally used in the gaming media to mean the next round of power comparable/price-relative/market-competitive consoles.

I'm not trying to be derogatory to the Wii. I love my Wii.
Sorry, the idea of Wii not being "next-gen" is a new phenomenon applied to our vernacular so that trolls had something to chant when trying to feel superior about supporting a "real" next-gen system. Journalists had nothing to do with this abuse of the English language, it's mostly a message board thing brought on by some off-the-cuff remark Reggie made when accused that Wii wasn't next-gen. It's also total bull. If it's a new piece of hardware introduced to supersede a current product, it's a next-generation product, PERIOD.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
CoolTrick said:
Those Pokemon numbers have to be off. The Pokemon series never saw any big dropoffs, but they definitely didn't all sell within 200,000 to 300,000 units of each other.

I'll just include the original data for the main series games; courtesy of Moor-Angol, whose data is originally Famitsu AFAIK.

Pokemon Red / Blue / Green 5.655.675
Pokemon Gold / Silver 5.535.977
Pokemon Ruby / Sapphire 5.322.096
Pokemon Diamond / Pearl 5.173.883
Pokemon Fire Red / Leaf Green 2.660.977
Pocket Monsters Pikachu 1.900.882
Pokemon Emerald 1.855.151
Pokemon Crystal 1.845.630

The only thing that might support these numbers being wrong is that Moor Angol has the RBG numbers listed as "Red / Blue" and I'm not sure if that's intented to be a tip to US audiences or if it's supposed to be that Green sales aren't included... but if that's the case, Green didn't break a million individually and I highly doubt that.

As I understand it, Red and Green were the original releases... Blue had slightly better graphics / animations and a new mix of Pokemon. The US Red / Blue are ports of the Japanese Red / Green using the Japanese Blue engine.

Good second week for Zelda. It should outsell every Zelda of the past few years and I wouldnt be suprised to see it reach 1 million. Its a good sign after the somewhat disappointing sales of TP.

Xeke

Banned
donny2112 said:
The June NPD reporting period isn't even complete, yet. :p

June NPD: June 3 - July 7
June NPD release: July 19

Why does it seem like they used to come earlier in the month.

Xeke said:
Why does it seem like they used to come earlier in the month.
Since each year isn't an exact number of weeks, occasionally they need to tweak the system as they did this January by having it be a 5 week month instead of the usual 4. In the short term this makes for some really weird looking situations where an entire week is out of the calendar month it's supposed to represent, but it will slowly slide back with time. Next year's June should count June 1 - July 5.

DQ Hero

Oblivion said:
Not a Mario game. Sry.

It´s a Mario game for me. The game is titled Super Mario World 2 and Mario is one of the two principal characters. I know the gameplay is a little different compared with the classic mario games, but hey!, not as much like Super Mario Rpg, and Super Mario RPG is in the list.

And, on the other hand i just realized this.

mariohistorybk4.png

Seriously, where is the SMW2 for the Super Famicom :/

DQ Hero said:
It´s a Mario game for me. The game is titled Super Mario World 2 and Mario is one of the two principal characters.
[cut]

Seriously, where is the SMW2 for the Super Famicom :/

Yoshi Island is called SMW2 on US release due to NoA decision, meanwhile original japanese version is a Mario spin-off called Super Mario: Yoshi's Island (you can check on gamefaqs).
For this reason YI can'te be showed in Mario chart.

@ Pokemon numbers:
well, honestly it's a little hard to have complete numbers for original Pokemon, the reason is Famitsu started to track at same time both Red/Green then Pikachu (Yellow).
The data i have found i think they arrive from a chart in GEIMIN site, before i used another one which included all first versions and Gold/Silver/Crystal.

I agree with Famitsu when they include same games put on the market on the same day (such as latest Pokemon, Megaman EXE or Nintendogs, just for example), but if they include games arrived in different time i think they make confusion...
There was a site (Zoocar pages) which showed all million sellers from 1996 to 2002 taken for a special chart on Famitsu, but now it's closed...

Famitsu issue #1000 will come soon, i hope they will make something similar, maybe from 1996 to 2006, it should be very nice

TJ Spyke

Moor-Angol said:
Yoshi Island is called SMW2 on US release due to NoA decision, meanwhile original japanese version is a Mario spin-off called Super Mario: Yoshi's Island (you can check on gamefaqs).
For this reason YI can'te be showed in Mario chart.

WRONG. It IS a Mario game. Stump has already said that the only reason the SNES version isn't included (when the GBA enhanced remake is and the DS sequel is) is because he doesn't have the sales numbers for it.

Xeke

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Since each year isn't an exact number of weeks, occasionally they need to tweak the system as they did this January by having it be a 5 week month instead of the usual 4. In the short term this makes for some really weird looking situations where an entire week is out of the calendar month it's supposed to represent, but it will slowly slide back with time. Next year's June should count June 1 - July 5.

I guess I just don't understand why the June reporting period isn't just June 1-30th.

Bebpo

Banned
Pureauthor said:
Leaving aside the ridiculous notion that Wii isn't next-gen:

You've got it the wrong way round. Next-gen has rejected Japan.

Even if you count the Wii, outside of Wii Sports/Wii Play, Wii games, PS3 games, X360 games are all selling like shit compared to PS2/DS games.

That's...not good for console gaming. Well, unless you count PS2 as "next-gen".

Jokeropia

Bebpo said:
Even if you count the Wii, outside of Wii Sports/Wii Play, Wii games, PS3 games, X360 games are all selling like shit compared to PS2/DS games.
Uh, you can't remove the two best selling games for Wii just because it's needed to support your point. Wii game sales compare favorably to PS2 game sales after 7 months. (In fact, Wii has the greatest tie-ratio of any system since 1996 in Japan.)

Bebpo said:

That's...not good for console gaming. Well, unless you count PS2 as "next-gen".
Super Paper Mario and DBZ Wii did great. The former is on it way to outselling the previous Paper Marios on systems with a far higher install base than the Wii's.

And :lol at any spin by removing the top games on any Nintendo consoles, or removing all first party games for that matter. I don't get that kind of argument at all.

Bebpo

Banned
Jokeropia said:
Uh, you can't remove the two best selling games for Wii just because it's needed to support your point. Wii game sales compare favorably to PS2 game sales after 7 months. (In fact, Wii has the greatest tie-ratio of any system since 1996 in Japan.)

Umm, I'm removing them because they're two games, they don't represent the normal sales of Wii titles. They are anomalies. Not because of the specific titles (although Wii play is fishy since it's basically an accessory sale marked as a game on MC) I mean look at that top 10 selling next-gen (all 3 systems included) chart, we don't even have 3 titles over 500k...that's bad.

Bebpo said:
I mean look at that top 10 selling next-gen (all 3 systems included) chart, we don't even have 3 titles over 500k...that's bad.

For the first six months? Not really. Unless you're named 360 or PS3. Even the PS3 had Gundam Musou settling in at 300k.

Bebpo

Banned
titiklabingapat said:
For the first six months? Not really. Unless you're named 360 or PS3.

What? So it's ok for Wii games to sell below par on average but it's not alright for X360/PS3 games? Are you from that Nintendoplanet or something because I don't speak your language.

Jokeropia

Bebpo said:
Umm, I'm removing them because they're two games, they don't represent the normal sales of Wii titles. They are anomalies. Not because of the specific titles (although Wii play is fishy since it's basically an accessory sale marked as a game on MC) I mean look at that top 10 selling next-gen (all 3 systems included) chart, we don't even have 3 titles over 500k...that's bad.
Only the 360 and PS3 are doing bad, Wii is doing exceptionally (better than the PS2 did even) in both hardware and software.

felipeko

Bebpo said:
What real big game came on Wii that could've sold more?
Wii games sales are expected, nothing really bombed yet.
On the other side, PS3 are not..

Jokeropia

The best selling games are always exceptions. That's why they're the best selling games.

Anyway, I seem to recall PS2 tie-ratio being ridiculously low in Japan initially. Does anyone have the numbers?

Xeke

Banned
Bebpo said:

You just can't do that and make a valid comparison though. Your assumption is that WiiSports/Wiiplay aren't affecting the other games. Without those two titles the Wii wouldn't be selling as well which would produce a totally different outcome.

Besides, how do you expect next-gen to compete with DSL?

KINGMOKU

Bebpo said:
No. Your removing them becuase they dont fit into your argument.

At least be honest about it.

Sheesh.

NeonZ

Bebpo said:

To be fair, the only title that has really disappointed, sales-wise, in the Wii, was Twilight Princess. Everything else hasn't really gotten any serious drop from the expectations. Wait until the end of the year, when more higher profile games will be released, to claim the success or failure of traditional console gaming on Japan. Isn't the Dragon Quest spin off getting released soon too?

I just think you're basically making an argument using a single game as its basis...

Bebpo said:

This reminds me of last year or so, when every one of these threads had all kinds of strangely manipulated DS sales data with the top-selling games removed.

"If you don't count the games that sell well, games don't sell well." is kind of an obvious sentence, don't you think? You know, if you don't count the smart ones, GAF members are kinda slow.

nli10

Bebpo said:

You are removing them because they are outliers (anomalies by your definition) which would be fine in normal analysis. Problem is that they aren't outliers, not by any stretch of the imagination. If you look at the sales of games on any format at this stage in the consoles life there are 1 or 2 'killer-aps' that drive sales, and if you plot all the games in descending sales you get a smooth curve from the few high selling titles through the midrange titles and into the hordes of low sales titles.

Sure people are overreacting and doubting your motives for this rather vocally, but it just isn't mathematically sound to discount sales based on personal preference (Play) or just because they sold way more than the other games (Sports).

Going back to the wonderful charts though - Nintendogs = fad! If it wasn't for the 3 versions this really wouldn't have even touched Training game levels of sales. Different story in the west, but in Japan the dogs are not that big. No wonder there is no announced follow up yet (bet there is a similar Xmas release though).

This isn't perfect. All I did was look at the old Famitsu top 30s from the first 30 weeks of PS2 to pick out the largest LTDs. Here are the top ten PS2 games at the time, at their last top 30 appearance within that time frame. Please excuse some of the awful machine translated names.

1. 580K: Ridge Racer V
2. 430K: Tekken Tag Tournament
3. 385K: Play spatial professional baseball AT THE END OF THE CENTURY 1999
4. 322K: Kessen
5. 305K: Dead or Alive 2
6. 298K: Live powerful professional baseball 7
7. 257K: Truth three ? hit and miss
8. 234K: FIFA soccer world championship
9. 190K: Armored Core 2
10.156K: Street Fighter EX 3

Top Bottom