• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 7/16 - 7/22

donny2112

jimbo said:
Yes, yes I know.....RE6, GTA5, FFXIV, VF6....all on the Wii. I believe you. I swear.

I'd actually expect something along the lines of RE5 side story with RE4 engine, GTA stories (PSP ports or the PS2 games ported), and FFXIII side stories on the Wii.

Darji

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
I've got a suggestion for Darji: don't talk shit when it comes to sales. Mainly because he can't spin numbers all that well.

PS: DQS sold better in one week than DQYangus LTD.
i didnt even talked about sales at all. ^^

NintendosBooger said:
Konami needs to stop trying to be like Capcom. They're not as talented across different spectrums of gaming. Stick to action and sports games, K.

Yeah Konami should try and make a game series like Castlevania.

That's why I get annoyed when arguing with you jimbo. I never said any of those things. Everyone just expects a shift in third party developer support that will lead to better games on the Wii and it's reasonable to expect that some of those games will be huge. I cannot name one person that argues as fanatically as you try to make me out to be.

And plus, you never responded to my statements. Can you disprove them? If you can't, then you should expect those answers and consider them as reasonable.

Darji said:

You're trying to talk shit in a sales thread.

I find it utterly amusing that you think because a game by Konami (which by the way has ABSOLUTELY NO ADVERTISMENT) did poorly, that all games on Wii (specifically new IPs) are doomed.

Even though DQS is a spinoff of a major IP, it's a good indication of what good games with an advertising budget that can afford more than a cuppa can do.

ziran

sphinx said:
you have that data? post it! just for the fun. :D
2002 Famitsu Hardware Numbers

GC
July 08-14 2002 - 8,242
July 15-21 2002 - 31,750 - Mario Sunshine - 280,610
July 22-28 2002 - 14,256 - Mario Sunshine - 102,576 / 383,186

PS3
July 16-22 2007 - 13,440
July 23-29 2007 - 38,000 - Minna no Golf 5 - 176,000

EDIT-
It is interesting both systems increased by ~24K, and it happened at roughly the same time, with GC being on the market for only a couple of months longer (Sept 01 launch).

jimbo

Banned
Rancid Mildew said:
I haven't once said that ever since I began posting here. Why are you being facetious? I think DQX stands a good chance at going Wii-side though.

Because that's my whole point....you know the core games, aside from one or two nabbed exclusives, will continue to be developed for the next gen platforms. That's what this WHOLE argument is about: the lack of core games in the Wii's future line-up.

Oh you edited your post. Yes well I agree with that approach. Of course the Wii will benefit from increased third party support. That I agree with.

You edited again. Damnit quit doing that. Disprove what? That it's inevitable that the Wii will get the majority of third party support? Shouldn't you be the one proving that this WILL happen, while giving a less played out reason than...."it's just a matter of time"...which I forsee stil being used come 2008.

donny2112

Darji said:

Darji said:
because it was a launchgame? But i am waiting for the next real game thats a great seller and not called something with MArio, Zelda or Metroid^^

Darji said:
Which PS3 game will beat Mario Galaxy and Smash Bros Brawl in sales?hmm hard to say but i would say GT5 definetly. other than that. Dont know but not much in the next 2 years^^

Darji said:
i never discount wii sales of tradtional games. Oh and finaly fantasy gets spin offs too. And some of them are minigames and crap too. like chocobo racing. But they doesnt sell very well. Except for the mario party clone (forgot his name^^)

It just feels like new "real" game IPs doesnt stand a chance on the wii.

Darji said:
sure the sales are very weak no objection to that but it will change when the Ps3 is more affordable. And i dont know the exactly fire emblem salesfigures but i am pretty sure it did not do very well.

Evlar

Banned
jimbo said:
Because that's my whole point....you know the core games, aside from one or two nabbed exclusives, will continue to be developed for the next gen platforms. That's what this WHOLE argument is about: the lack of core games in the Wii's future line-up.
You don't know the Wii's future lineup past March of next year any better than anyone else in this thread.

jimbo

Banned
The Sphinx said:
You don't know the Wii's future lineup past March of next year any better than anyone else in this thread.

You're right I don't. But I DO KNOW what's in store for the 360/PS3.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Elios83 said:
It's amazing how a few Nintendo fans feel insecure even when Nintendo is leading the market with sales :lol
PS3 had a really nice bump this week which proves that with a continous flow of good titles (not just one every three months) and a price cut sales can really get to an other level.
Oh and Xbox360 sales getting bumped up to 4k units thanks to OBLIVION!! Sakaguchi what? :D ;)
More good games equals better sales is usually the jist of the business. How often are these games going to come out though? I mean the GC had nice games, but it basically resulted in occasional sales bumps since the market ultimately had a console that better suited its needs in the PS2. The Wii is better suited for the way the Japanese market is trending. I mean it took a "casual" game in order to see a rise in sales. But the PS3 obviously tried to build itself on being a hardcore console, so you'll probably see much of the Japanese industry focus those casual oriented games on the Wii, especially when the well goes dry on the PS2. Like with the GC, those sales spikes eventually get smaller and smaller. If you're limited as a console, there's only so many people you can sell to, and there's only so many releases you can rely on before people start tuning out. It's weird that the PS3 might be the first console that has the main Final Fantasy series and doesn't get first place in Japan. It shows how dichotomous that market has really become with casual vs. hardcore.

jimbo said:

But it's reasonable to expect there to be plenty core games in the Wii's future. If it isn't already, it's going to become the only relevant home console in Japan all the way until the next major PS3 release which won't be this year. I fully expect that the development scene will change in the Wii's favor as a result of this. Is it wrong to?

I don't think I carry the burden of proof. I'm not claiming anything outside of the fact that the Wii situation will be improved dramatically as a result of its continued sales dominance in Japan. Based on existing statements from developers, sales trends and game releases in Japan, it's a perfectly reasonable conclusion to come to.

jimbo

Banned
Rancid Mildew said:
But it's reasonable to expect there to be plenty core games in the Wii's future. If it isn't already, it's going to become the only relevant home console in Japan all the way until the next major PS3 release which won't be this year. I fully expect that the development scene will change in the Wii's favor as a result of this. Is it wrong to?

It's not wrong to expect it, no. But to not even consider the alternative....is like the old Sony fanboy mentality......"there can only be one way and one outcome"

jimbo

Banned
The Sphinx said:
So why don't you TALK ABOUT THOSE rather than making up shit about Wii?

Huh? I really didn't mean to get you that fired up. Take it easy man. It's all just forum talk.
But what exactly am I making up about the Wii?

jimbo said:
It's not wrong to expect it, no. But to not even consider the alternative....is like the old Sony fanboy mentality......"there can only be one way and one outcome"

I think it's pretty obvious that I am considering the alternative situations (PS3 price drops, unexpectedly amazing FFXIII sales performance, MGS4, HDTV penetration, misreading of the market by third parties) which is why I remain cautiously optimistic. I am sure the conservative position I hold is shared by the overwhelming majority of the posters on this board which is why I'm consistently confounded at the negative reactions expressed every time the position is iterated. I don't think anyone is claiming (any longer?) that the next GTA or RE is Wii-bound.

donny2112

jimbo said:
But what exactly am I making up about the Wii?

I think he's referring to the idea that the Wii won't have any core games next year. The subtlety that you may be missing is that no one here knows Nintendo's Wii lineup pretty much in all of 2008 outside of Mario Kart and Wii Fit (outside of Japan).

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Rancid Mildew said:
I think it's pretty obvious that I am considering the alternative situations (PS3 price drops, unexpectedly amazing FFXIII sales performance, MGS4, HDTV penetration, misreading of the market by third parties) which is why I remain cautiously optimistic. I am sure the conservative position I hold is shared by the overwhelming majority of the posters on this board which is why I'm consistently confounded at the negative reactions expressed every time the position is iterated. I don't think anyone is claiming (any longer?) that the next GTA or RE is Wii-bound.

But if it ever happens you can bet your ass we will have a 40+ page thread complaining about it.

mclem

Darji said:
Why do you people not realize that this is absolutly not good for coregamers?
Because I've seen this before. I know how it works, now, and I know now that what's happening now is absolutely fantastic for the industry.

Do you understand just how much your complaints parallel mine circa '96 or so? The rise of Playstation meant that the games I adored were being watered down. FMV? Nonsense! It gets in the way of gameplay! Spyro is dumbed down, just look at Mario 64 for quality 3d platforming!

I grew up, eventually. Stopped being quite so narrow-minded, investigated what 'the enemy' was coming up with, and found new experiences and new takes on old experiences that I liked. Try it.

mclem

jimbo said:
While nearly every Wii-related thread is about sales. Not even games like Mario Galaxy or Metroid Prime are being discussed. It's Halo 3 and Killzone vs Wii June NPD or the latest MC sales thread. I mean seriously. Exit this thread. And count the topics. See how many are games topics and on which platforms. It's actually pretty funny.
Nintendo generally doesn't talk much until a game is extremely close to release, except for progress reports. There's one recent exception, where they are giving a constant stream of information: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157914 . And, y'know, there's quite a bit of discussion there.

It's a style of promotion thing.

Kafel said:
Next week may be even more cruel for PS3 fans.

Please explain how 38k per week and a game selling 176k units in a week is poor, especially considering the recent sales of PS3?

Excellent sales for Nintend. I'm very pleased with how the Taiko game is doing, and very pleased with It's a Wonderful World sales: a very risky move by SquareEnix in the areas of new IP, new gameplay and new artstyle.

They took a big chance with the game, and it's paying dividends for them I believe

jimbo

Banned
LanceStern said:
Please explain how 38k per week and a game selling 176k units in a week is poor, especially considering the recent sales of PS3?

Excellent sales for Nintendo

In all honesty, even generally speaking, 38k per week, if it could hold that is pretty damn good for any console in Japan...not just in light of PS3's weak sales. But with GAF, if you didn't get first place, than your sales suck.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
jimbo said:
In all honesty, even generally speaking, 38k per week, if it could hold that is pretty damn good for any console in Japan...not just in light of PS3's weak sales. But with GAF, if you didn't get first place, than your sales suck.

Yes, but we all know its not going to sustain that.

farnham

Banned
sphinx said:
Sad cases, both.

Oh the 2001-2 days, when any mediocre PS2 JRPG would actually sell past mario sunshine ( or any other nintendo franchise, for that matter) with ease.
I think Kamataichis Night 2 outsold Sunshine.. Or was it my summer vacation 2..

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
jimbo said:

Oh no, double team :lol

farnham

Banned
LanceStern said:

Excellent sales for Nintend. I'm very pleased with how the Taiko game is doing, and very pleased with It's a Wonderful World sales: a very risky move by SquareEnix in the areas of new IP, new gameplay and new artstyle.

They took a big chance with the game, and it's paying dividends for them I believe
well because its pretty much how the GC did back in the 2001 or 2002 days..

big game -> sales go up to 20k ~ 40k range a week
drought -> about 10k a week

Razoric

Banned
The sales bump is meaningless unless PS3 can consistently stay around 30-35k. There won't be a brand new HSG game to keep it up there from week to week.

Next week should be interesting.

jimbo

Banned
schuelma said:
Yes, but we all know its not going to sustain that.

Yes I know. But this also means, with the right combo of games the PS3 will sell in Japan. The sustain factor I believe comes from the price point and a lack of a constant release of titles, but price more than anything. All this shows is the Japanese are willing to buy the PS3 even at an expensive price, for the right games. At a cheap price, I expect the PS3 to take off.

Kafel

Banned
LanceStern said:

I didn't say that this week is "poor" for the console.

I said it's cruel because everyone knows it won't last.

donny2112

LanceStern said:

lowered_expectation_small.jpg

The sales numbers are fine, if you're comparing it to the GameCube. It's much less than where the PS2's follow-up would've been expected to be or even where some of the more optimistic predictions for Minna no Golf 5 had it selling.

jimbo said:
Yes I know. But this also means, with the right combo of games the PS3 will sell in Japan. The sustain factor I believe comes from the price point and a lack of a constant release of titles, but price more than anything. All this shows is the Japanese are willing to buy the PS3 even at an expensive price, for the right games. At a cheap price, I expect the PS3 to take off.

Unfortunately, the same could have been said about the GameCube, minus the need for a lesser price. GC games did sell. While I enjoy my PS3 and I'd love to have more games for it (currently I have Oblivion and am in the market for Sigma and that... is it), there's no denying the reality that it is performing poorly and that the first year or two are crucial; without a large userbase, there will be less games for it.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
ziran said:
2002 Famitsu Hardware Numbers

GC
July 08-14 2002 - 8,242
July 15-21 2002 - 31,750 - Mario Sunshine - 280,610
July 22-28 2002 - 14,256 - Mario Sunshine - 102,576 / 383,186

PS3
July 16-22 2007 - 13,440
July 23-29 2007 - 38,000 - Minna no Golf 5 - 176,000

EDIT-
It is interesting both systems increased by ~24K, and it happened at roughly the same time, with GC being on the market for only a couple of months longer (Sept 01 launch).
So how many of these parallels will have to be made before the "you can't compare the PS3 to the GC" arguments slowdown?

sphinx

the piano man
jimbo said:

In my opinion:

Sony's biggest mistake with the PS3 was the lack of compelling software to go hand in hand with the hardware at launch.

Resistance was shadowed by Gears of war everywhere and a FPS, an o.k. shooter new IP wasn't enough to justify the price tag. PS3 should have launched with a duo of games directed towards different demographics: Little big Planet and Killzone 2 ( something more jaw dropping and more fun than resistance) near hardware launch would have written a whole different story. All I see is that sony failed to prepare themselves for the launch thinking that the brand name would carry the console the first years until the big games arrived. They'll learn the hard way.

Now the console's reputation has been tainted, the consumers are filled with FUD, console is perceived as not worthy, etc...

story is being written with every passing week.

cvxfreak

donny2112 said:
Does anyone else find it a little ironic that this is almost 5 years to the day for the Sunshine/Golf bumps?

I immediately thought of this as soon as the release date was announced.

Something along the lines of: "Oooh, same day as Mario Sunshine 5 years ago. It'll probably do a Mario Sunshine-style boost, and people will hinge on it boosting PS3 sales to victory."

jimbo

Banned
sphinx said:
In my opinion:

Sony's biggest mistake with the PS3 was the lack of compelling software to go hand in hand with the hardware at launch.

Resistance was shadowed by Gears of war everywhere and a FPS, an o.k. shooter new IP wasn't enough to justify the price tag. PS3 should have launched with a duo of games directed towards different demographics: Little big Planet and Killzone 2 ( something more jaw dropping and more fun than resistance) near hardware launch would have written a whole different story. All I see is that sony failed to prepare themselves for the launch thinking that the brand name would carry the console the first years until the big games arrived. They'll learn the hard way.

Now the console's reputation has been tainted, the consumers are filled with FUD, console is perceived as not worthy, etc...

story is being written with every passing week.

While you have a good argument, anything other than $599 is wrong for "Sony's biggest mistake with the PS3"

Edit: It's like this. I will buy a console for one or two games, knowing it will have better ones later, if I can afford it. But it doesn't matter what games it has if I just simply don't have the money. As in REALLY don't have the money. And there are a lot of people that just don't have the money.

Top Bottom