• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 7/16 - 7/22

acuul

Razoric said:
The sales bump is meaningless unless PS3 can consistently stay around 30-35k. There won't be a brand new HSG game to keep it up there from week to week.

Next week should be interesting.

very abused phrase, we never get enough :lol

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
sphinx said:
In my opinion:

Sony's biggest mistake with the PS3 was the lack of compelling software to go hand in hand with the hardware at launch.

Resistance was shadowed by Gears of war everywhere and a FPS, an o.k. shooter new IP wasn't enough to justify the price tag. PS3 should have launched with a duo of games directed towards different demographics: Little big Planet and Killzone 2 ( something more jaw dropping and more fun than resistance) near hardware launch would have written a whole different story. All I see is that sony failed to prepare themselves for the launch thinking that the brand name would carry the console the first years until the big games arrived. They'll learn the hard way.

Now the console's reputation has been tainted, the consumers are filled with FUD, console is perceived as not worthy, etc...

story is being written with every passing week.
Which basically amounts to bad timing. Most systems don't get compelling games for at least a year. The PS2 didn't get any real games until the Xbox and GC launched. But by then it had the games and had the momentum. The 360 was already out of its rut by the time the PS3 launched. So not only are they lagging behind Microsoft, but they're not getting any compelling games for another year. They're essentially lagging two years behind the 360. And the $600 price tag scares consumers off from buying a PS3 "just cause". Everybody bought a PS2 "just cause". It's almost worst case scenario in every facet. And while the games will be coming, they're most certainly crippling their chance to come back with every passing day. Seems to me that Sony sat on the PS2 too long. They should've had the PS3 out by 2005.

Frillen

LanceStern said:
Please explain how 38k per week and a game selling 176k units in a week is poor, especially considering the recent sales of PS3?

Excellent sales for Nintend. I'm very pleased with how the Taiko game is doing, and very pleased with It's a Wonderful World sales: a very risky move by SquareEnix in the areas of new IP, new gameplay and new artstyle.

They took a big chance with the game, and it's paying dividends for them I believe

It's poor because this is the biggest PS3 game in Japan this year, and it couldn't even outsell the Wii. The PS3 will be below 20k next week and then down to the same level as previously weeks (8k-13k).

GDGF

Soothsayer
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Famitsu numbers

PS3 38,000
PS2 14,000
Wii 70,000
360 3,800

1. [Wii] Mario Party 8 - 280,000
2. [PS3] Minna no Golf 5 - 176,000
3. [NDS] Taiko no Tatsujin DS - 90,000
4. [NDS] Its a Wonderful World - 81,000
5. [PS2] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 14 - 53,000(~200,000)
6. [360] Oblivion - 45,000
7. [Wii] Gundam MS 0079 - 44,000
8. [PSP] GTA LCS - 39,000
9. [Wii] Dragon Quest Swords - 32,000(~400,000)
10. [NDS] Zelda Phantom Hourglass - 32,000 (~680,000)

13. PS2 パチパラ14 - 24,000
14. --- MGS BOX - 24,000
18. PS2 KOF Maximum Impact A - 18,000
20. PS3 Wangan Midnight - 18,000
25. PS2 Shake II - 16,000
30. PSP Piposaru Daisakusen - 13,000
... NDS Simple DS Vol 18 Gunground - 2,600
... ??? Major League - 1,600
... Wii Dewy's Adventure - 1,200
... Wii Guilty Gear - 900
... ??? むこうぶち - 650

I'll continue translating...

I guess that's that for the PS3, then. Final nail? (or was that some time ago)

LOcKY

Zerodoppler said:
I really want to be a fly on the wall in the Konami offices when the executives try to make sense of the absymal sales of Dewy's Adventure. Who will get the blame?

my guess is the marketing department... well they would if they bothered advertising it and also the fool who decided the release date. they should have released it a week before Mario Party.

Konami have only themselves to blame.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Oblivion said:
HS5's sales aren't that impressive, but holy shit at the PS3 bump. I think it's time for Nintendo to panic just a smidge.

sarcasm right?

GDGF said:

Oblivion said:
HS5's sales aren't that impressive, but holy shit at the PS3 bump. I think it's time for Nintendo to panic just a smidge.

I love that these two posts can live side by side in harmony.

Or maybe they just haven't noticed each other yet.

Evlar

Banned
38k for PS3 was about the best I expected. It's not bad news, as it proves at least SOMEthing can move units. It's not completely inert. Comparisons with GameCube seem apt at the moment, which as terrible as that sounds it's better than the view a month ago.

I feel the only people very disappointed with PS3 hardware sales are the ones who expected too much to come from it. Surely no-one expected the PS3 to go over 50k units in a week?

I believe it was Joshua (I'm not 100%) that predicted with me that PS3 would get at least ~ 25k units from the Hot Shots Golf release. For it to go over 30k is great news.

Seeing as how PS3 is still early in its lifespan, it tells us that big releases can still give the system the bump it needs. If Sony plays cards rights, releases some more key titles every month and PRICE DROPS the system (it's still being hurt as we speak by its high price tag, there's no denying that) it could get to some great weekly sales.

We can't spinoff a 176k first week and 38k per week as bad news. It's a decent bump, and hopefully next week it can continue a little momentum

Weisheit

LanceStern said:
I feel the only people very disappointed with PS3 hardware sales are the ones who expected too much to come from it. Surely no-one expected the PS3 to go over 50k units in a week?

I believe it was Joshua (I'm not 100%) that predicted with me that PS3 would get at least ~ 25k units from the Hot Shots Golf release. For it to go over 30k is great news.

Seeing as how PS3 is still early in its lifespan, it tells us that big releases can still give the system the bump it needs. If Sony plays cards rights, releases some more key titles every month and PRICE DROPS the system (it's still being hurt as we speak by its high price tag, there's no denying that) it could get to some great weekly sales.

We can't spinoff a 176k first week and 38k per week as bad news. It's a decent bump, and hopefully next week it can continue a little momentum
Again its not per week, its this week.

laserbeam

Banned
Really the Boost for this week doesnt mean much. What happens in Week 2 of release as far as Hardware and golf sales thats what matters. We all knew there would be boost in Hardware sales and we knew it would have some sort of good software sales.

LanceStern said:

Replace "PS3" with "Gamecube" and replace "Hot Shots Golf" with "Mario Sunshine", and the only difference is the "price drops" needed. So what this really tells us is that maybe the PS3's price drops can someday push it above Gamecube-level sales, or give it more longevity than the Cube had.

Deku

Banned
I see Lance has been reading the latest edition of this book:

005062.jpg

Koren

LanceStern said:
I predicted 30k-ish myself. This week is indeed good. But you can't deny the fact that PS3 is performing below expectations. Even SCEE recognize they expected to sell more consoles...

By the way, this week has seen a king of price drop, since the MnG bundles are sold just a bit over the PS3 alone. MnG was nearly free...

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
GDGF said:

Honestly I don't get it, 176,000 isn't bad at all, the attach rate is decently high. It defintaley isn't incredible, but with a price drop, and a few games which there are barley any of over there I think it'll be fine, unless this was just sarcasm.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Leondexter said:
Replace "PS3" with "Gamecube" and replace "Hot Shots Golf" with "Mario Sunshine", and the only difference is the "price drops" needed. So what this really tells us is that maybe the PS3's price drops can someday push it above Gamecube-level sales, or give it more longevity than the Cube had.

Yeah, we Nintendo fans have already danced this dance with the Gamecube, and with the N64 before that: Hoping that the next game would give hardware sales a decent bump (happens sometimes) and then hoping against hope that the bump would carry over for a while (hardly ever happens, and when it does it's for a few weeks tops) and then lamenting the lament of 'if only a steady stream of blockbusters would come back to back, hardware sales would improve dramaticly' often forgetting that our definition of a blockbuster usually only sells to current system buyers.

It's a sad dance indeed :(

donny2112

Leondexter said:
So what this really tells us is that maybe the PS3's price drops can someday push it above Gamecube-level sales, or give it more longevity than the Cube had.

Finger beside the nose. Pin the tail on the donkey. You grabbed the brass ring. We have a winner. A winner is you. You, sir, are correct. Shine get. Jackpot. Bullseye. Score. So Awesome. Exactly.

Xeke

Banned
What a train wreck. Though I did notice something interesting in the last 3 pages. For some reason, I just can't figure out why, people NEVER quote and respond to the posts that completely prove them wrong...

LanceStern said:
Not to strike you down or anything, but it wasn't me. Pretty sure the biggest thing I said about it was the unknown size of this bump made for difficulty in calling a week when the Wii/PS3 LTD ratio would become greater than the DS/PSP one. However, I was considering using a doubled week for a guesstimate, so my internal guess was bested.
LanceStern said:
We can classify it as minor news, I think. As has been pointed out, it's very similar to previous PS3 and GCN bumps that didn't last. Since we know how those worked out, we have a pretty good idea of how this one will go, too, and have no reason to expect notable continued momentum, but instead a short trailoff period while things go back to the norm.

Xeke

Banned
LanceStern said:
It's a decent bump, and hopefully next week it can continue a little momentum

Give it two weeks. It'll be back below 15k. And then what. When is the next game? MGS which is less popular than this game, next year?

Sharp

Mmmm, jimbo in sales threads is always fun! Gives some fresh perspective to the whole thing. Darji, though, you're not even that funny, which sort of ruins the whole thing.

Innotech

Banned
the thing about "the big games" not coming to Nintendo platforms is that some of us actually dont like or play most of those games. It doesnt take a Nintendo first party game to get me to buy, but a third party game has to appeal to a similar taste. I notice many of the HD games people are looking forward to are big FPS/RPG/racing games and sometimes action games like NGS or HS.. Aside from racing (and in my case arcade racing) none of those "AAA" titles like Lair or HS or Uncharted even register on my radar. the only ones that do are things like Viva Pinata, Crush, and LittleBigPlanet. Games that I think its pretty obvious dont need to be on BR or even in HD to be good. but then again, since I dont like FPs online games or RPGs or big HD games, I guess Im not a core gamer. Oh wait a minute, I have 9 games on preorder and plans for 3 more after that. spending 500$ on videogames is a casual nongamer confirmed :lol

Deku

Banned
I'm highly dubious on the big RPG statement. None of the next-gen consoles are getting nearly as much RPG love as the DS is, and they may not as long as the DS is around.

Shiggy

Innotech said:
the thing about "the big games" not coming to Nintendo platforms is that some of us actually dont like or play most of those games. It doesnt take a Nintendo first party game to get me to buy, but a third party game has to appeal to a similar taste. I notice many of the HD games people are looking forward to are big FPS/RPG/racing games and sometimes action games like NGS or HS.. Aside from racing (and in my case arcade racing) none of those "AAA" titles like Lair or HS or Uncharted even register on my radar. the only ones that do are things like Viva Pinata, Crush, and LittleBigPlanet. Games that I think its pretty obvious dont need to be on BR or even in HD to be good. but then again, since I dont like FPs online games or RPGs or big HD games, I guess Im not a core gamer. Oh wait a minute, I have 9 games on preorder and plans for 3 more after that. spending 500$ on videogames is a casual nongamer confirmed :lol

You shouldn't call Lair an AAA-title.

Oblivion said:

Most likely they'll just wait a week and watch the PS3 sales drop by half. Don't get too excited buddy

Hasn´t the PS3 just sold over 1Million units in Japan? With 170k units of EG5 in the first week sold, its like around 15, 17% of everyone who bought the console bought the game too? How is that bad?

If my words are incorrect, then I´m sorry.

Shiggy

Insane Metal said:
Hasn´t the PS3 just sold over 1Million units in Japan? With 170k units of EG5 in the first week sold, its like around 15, 17% of everyone who bought the console bought the game too? How is that bad?

It's bad compared to other games from the series.

Shiggy said:
It's bad compared to other games from the series.

Oh ok. But then again, there´s not enough userbase to sell much more than that... unless they waited more months to release (and the ps3 would continue selling 12k a week... 10k... 8k... :lol )

Xeke

Banned
Insane Metal said:

So if there were 10 PS3's out there and 9 people bought HSG for it, it would be a smashing success? (Hyperbole)

What good is it if the attach rate is high if that means it sells like ass.

I don't want to rain on the PS3's parade here,

but does anyone else think we're going to see an increase in used Japanese PS3's soon? Considering that there's very little in the horizon now for the PS3, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if this increase was only temporary and didn't ultimately reflect the Japanese PS3 userbase.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
DeaconKnowledge said:
I don't want to rain on the PS3's parade here,

but does anyone else think we're going to see an increase in used Japanese PS3's soon? Considering that there's very little in the horizon now for the PS3, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if this increase was only temporary and didn't ultimately reflect the Japanese PS3 userbase.

This is the case for every major game launch for every system in Japan. It's also why temporary sellouts tend to be exceptionally harmful to Japanese sales; if a game is not in stock for a few weeks, the used copies accumulate and people buy used instead.

jimbo

Banned
Xeke said:
So if there were 10 PS3's out there and 9 people bought HSG for it, it would be a smashing success? (Hyperbole)

What good is it if the attach rate is high if that means it sells like ass.

Narrow it down to the simplest of logic.....I still don't see how selling 176k copies in one week = sells like ass.

Sure if you compare it to previous games on much larger user bases, yeah you can say it sold a lot less or "low for the series". But ANY game that sells over 100k in one week is a pretty decent success. Heck most games that sell 100k in a month, let alone a week, are considered to have good sales.

Bottom line? Saying 176k in a week is bad, is simply incorrect. You can only say that in the right context, in which case, if you're going to do that, then you DO have to take into considerations all other factors......user base being one of them.

Oh and I still don't see why people compare the PS3 to the GC, while going the only difference is price, and then moving right along as if price was no big deal.

I really can't stress the importance of price, and how much it's affecting the PS3. And I really can't think of ANY game that increases sales for a console, and maintains them for long periods of times(not just months, but years) like a price drop does. Price drops not only bump sales sky high temporarliy but also pad the average sales permanently from that point on with a good amount of extra sales on top

PS: WTF is wrong with me? When did I become a PS3 defender? Carry on folks. Nevermind me.

Shiggy

Oh and I still don't see why people compare the PS3 to the GC, while going the only difference is price, and then moving right along as if price was no big deal.

Did the GCN price reduction change anything?

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Innotech said:

You're not the only one in that boat, trust me.

Xeke

Banned
jimbo said:
Narrow it down to the simplest of logic.....I still don't see how selling 176k copies in one week = sells like ass.

Sure if you compare it to previous games on much larger user bases, yeah you can say it sold a lot less or "low for the series". But ANY game that sells over 100k in one week is a pretty decent success. Heck most games that sell 100k in a month, let alone a week, are considered to have good sales.

Bottom line? Saying 176k in a week is bad, is simply incorrect. You can only say that in the right context, in which case, if you're going to do that, then you DO have to take into considerations all other factors......user base being one of them.

I really can't stress the importance of price, and how much it's affecting the PS3. And I really can't think of ANY game that increases sales for a console, and maintains them for long periods of times(not just months, but years) like a price drop does. Price drops not only bump sales sky high temporarliy but also pad the average sales permanently from that point on with a good amount of extra sales on top

PS: WTF is wrong with me? When did I become a PS3 defender? Carry on folks. Nevermind me.

The PS3 has never been $599 in Japan and it's been selling worse in Japan than in the US where it costs more. Why? If price is the most important factor.

Eh, well it's still a good bump for the PS3.

Celebrate its' good bumps in sales, its' decent sales of titles while they still go strong and are worth noting yes? It's just good to be optimistic sometime rather than killing the loser every chance you get.

Wii on the other had, is doing absolutely fantastic. It's too bad I'm not a "hardcore Nintendo Fanboy" like I was about 3-4 years ago or I'd have lambasted the PS3 and 360 into bits. I call myself unbiased now, with a Nintendo partiality, so the good news is great news for Nintendo, while the good news for PS3 is noteworthy, and even the 360 got a nice software game in the Top 10 as well.

The biggest question for me right now is if any of the FAMOUS FIVE are in the MC Top 15. NSMB, ACWW, BA2, MK or Pokemon.

I say NSMB

The PS3 has never been $599 in Japan and it's been selling worse in Japan than in the US where it costs more. Why? If price is the most important factor.

If I'm not mistaken, it seems Japan is keen to only support ONE Handheld and ONE console at a time for great sales. It's seen in PSx-N64, SNES-GEN, PS2-GCN-XBX, GBA-NGage, etc.

It's a sketchy reason, but the price is a major issue for the PS3. Had it been $200, would it have fared immensely better to the changing generation of gamers ushered in by the DS and Wii? I think it could have.

But the price prevented it from starting well in the US and Japan, and because of that poor start, it doesn't get the software it needs, so it's doing less than well now.

jimbo said:

Same here man. I think we just like rooting for the underdog in sales

Top Bottom