• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 8/13 - 8/19

Tristam

Dragona Akehi said:
Never said it did: Mario Party is a board game. WarioWare isn't. :p

I haven't even played 8 at all, I'm just saying there's no need to hate on the series: it's really good at what it does.

I lump them both in the same category as great party games. WarioWare succeeds far more admirably in this aspect. I'd go so far as to say that, with a group of 8+ people, it's the best game ever, especially if alcohol is consumed.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
donny2112 said:
810K from Famitsu through July 22. I think Media-Create was initially tracking it higher, though.
thanks. the game sold well.

-I didn't knew that Mario Party was a popular franchise. I'm not hating on the game, I'm just surprised that people bought the game in masses!

apujanata

Dragona Akehi said:
I really don't get the hate for Mario Party games: they're amazing multiplayer titles, and are great for n00bs and nerds alike. The only caveat I have is that I'd never buy all of them: I only have Mario Party 6, and will probably pass on the next few Mario Parties until something "big" happens (or my mates and I get completely sick of the boards in 6).

I have MP4, skipped MP5, bought MP6, skipped MP7, bought MP8.

I wish that there is something like the microphone capabilities of MP6/7 in future MP. I don't mind buying a microphone accessories for Wiimote if I have to (included microphone like Boogie is nicer :) ).

Defuser said:
Repeat after me:

Ignorant casuals and non gamers Ignorant casuals and non gamers Ignorant casuals and non gamers Ignorant casuals and non gamers Ignorant casuals and non gamers Ignorant casuals and non gamers Ignorant casuals and non gamers Ignorant casuals and non gamers Ignorant casuals and non gamers.
Wii people buy games Wii people buy games Wii people buy games Wii people buy games Wii people buy games Wii people buy games Wii people buy games Wii people buy games Wii people buy games Wii people buy games Wii people buy games Wii people buy games Wii people buy games.

donny2112 said:
810K from Famitsu through July 22. I think Media-Create was initially tracking it higher, though.

I dont keep numbers, but from what I was told a few threads ago, MC was tracking it way ahead of Famitsu, like a 50k difference.

fernoca

cvxfreak said:
14. (PS2, Square Enix) Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac Job System
4m0mszn.jpg

Epiphyte

What is the next big "Wait for _________" PS3 game in Japan?

Does Heavenly Sword launch at the same time as it does in NA?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
What is the next big "Wait for _________" PS3 game in Japan?

Final Fantasy.

PS3's next "Wait for __" is wait for Wii to meet GC sell-through numbers at which point the Wii sales nosedive.

KEEP THE DREAMS ALIVE! DS TO BOMB TOO!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
There's nothing seriously wrong with the Mario Party games, per se. They just seem overly simplistic, without too much meat, and the mini games tend to be boring. It's still a nice time killer if you have friends around.

sphinx

the piano man
like Kobun Heat said, NSMB was guaranteed to reach 5 million units some time ago. My prediction is that it will reach 6 million When everything is said and done.

I say it will reach 6 million by January 2009.

In fact I don't know how could NSMB not sell 6 million by that time. The game has proven to be timeless, it's the game that 15% or 20% of the DS buyers get with their DS purchase. As long as the DS sells, the game will pull 20k per week and that's the biggest japanese sales phenonemon in recent hsitory. It could be the best selling mario in japan.

as for Zelda:pH, stealth legs across 2008 and 2009 will make sure the game reaches a million, that's guaranteed too.

cvxfreak said:
I think
Biohazard 5 Wii Edition
will sell even better.

I see you have embraced the dark side :p.

KINGMOKU

Did someone say something about a railway?

I saw that other thread about a hype train as well. It's got the blood flowing.

Terrell

Dragona Akehi said:
Never said it did: Mario Party is a board game. WarioWare isn't. :p

I haven't even played 8 at all, I'm just saying there's no need to hate on the series: it's really good at what it does.
Except the graphics downgrade from previous MPs to 30fps on the game boards. That seems slightly dumb to me, and ruins the game's visual consistency. But in terms of the gameplay, it seems even more hit and miss than Mario Party usually is. At this point, I want to see what a developer other than Hudson can do for the franchise.

AniHawk

Kobun Heat said:
That's been all but guaranteed for a long time now. If not by the end of the year, huge sales over the holiday will put it well over the top.

The big question is whether it can hit another 1.8m or so after that.

KINGMOKU

Forgotten Ancient said:
18 of the top 30 from Nintendo? Third parties need to wake up. Glad to see Zelda's gonna make it to a million+.
I laugh every sales thread we see.

I stated very early on that this gen we could see some very big third-parties grow weak, or almost die off, while some smaller, or new devs become massive on the back of the Wii.

Third-parties are so damn stupid right now, a bunch of them deserve to get wiped out.

Look at the sheer domination of the DS/Wii in the charts. You see it in Japan, U.S., canada, U.K. Germany, e.t.c. I wonder why all the major third-party devs havnt just announced every big title is coming to Nintendo platforms. A Resident Evil 5 port should have been announced 3months ago.

Just baffles me. Oh well. It is REALLY starting to look like Nintendo doesnt need a single third-party this generation to completly destroy the competition. Third-parties better start making inroads, or they will have to go up against Nintendo made games, at thier strongest, and they may get overlooked in favor of Nintendo made games in the same genre.

moku said:

I stated very early on that this gen we could see some very big third-parties grow weak, or almost die off, while some smaller, or new devs become massive on the back of the Wii.

Third-parties are so damn stupid right now, a bunch of them deserve to get wiped out.

Look at the sheer domination of the DS/Wii in the charts. You see it in Japan, U.S., canada, U.K. Germany, e.t.c. I wonder why all the major third-party devs havnt just announced every big title is coming to Nintendo platforms. A Resident Evil 5 port should have been announced 3months ago.

Just baffles me. Oh well. It is REALLY starting to look like Nintendo doesnt need a single third-party this generation to completly destroy the competition. Third-parties better start making inroads, or they will have to go up against Nintendo made games, at thier strongest, and they may get overlooked in favor of Nintendo made games in the same genre.

I agree, and that's too bad. I love Nintendo, but my world doesn't revolve around them. There's a lot of developers out there who have the means to capitalize on the system's success and they're just failing. It's stupid.

Well, at least there's always Cruisin Wii.

jrricky

Banned
moku said:
It's probably closer to 2, or over that by now.
Impressive! Nintendo must be extremely happy. How many months has it been out starting from its first ever release worldwide 'till now?

KINGMOKU

Forgotten Ancient said:
I agree, and that's too bad. I love Nintendo, but my world doesn't revolve around them. There's a lot of developers out there who have the means to capitalize on the system's success and they're just failing. It's stupid.

Well, at least there's always Cruisin Wii.
:lol

God there are so many crap games for the Wii.

Well, it's up to 3rd parties now. Nintendo doesn't need them anymore. In fact, I think Nintendo secretly wants them to continue doing what they're doing :lol. The only thing stopping them is the bitter lesson 10 years ago. That, and Iwata is not Yamauchi, and he probably couldn't care less if they sell or not.

Either scenario will minimally hurt thier bottom line at worst. Third patrty bombs, no big deal. They can carry the platform now that they discovered non-games and most software sales go to Nintendo without sacrificing the top position and marketshare. Third party sells, great! Still not gonna touch the non-games and the sheep sustenance, Zelda, Mario, Pokémon.

So it's either gonna be Yay Nintendo or Yay Nintendo+yay third parties.

Either way, Nintendo has the least to lose. Making the competition irrelevant indeed.

/sales age mode

Terrell

AlternativeUlster said:
C'mon guys complaining about the leg. Not all pictures on the internet are for masterbating.
That doesn't mean that we should have to accept something vomit-inducing, either.

73368155_b49d3ea320.jpg

There, it's not fap material, but it won't make anyone relive their last dining experience, either.

ethelred

ComputerNerd said:
Hot Shots Golf only drops 5K.

MP 8 actually goes UP. There's no way this game won't reach a million.

Zelda went up, too.

moku said:

You have to factor in that, while publishers are usually mercenary, developers can be artists. (You do agree that video games are an art form, yes?) I can assure you that many of those artists wish to create experiences that echo Ocarina of Time, Final Fantasy VII, or Shadow of the Colossus. The impact of all those games was partly a function of their technical prowess, a point Wii can't carry in today's milieu.

You can argue that an industry-wide "reset" to make developers care more about gameplay was needed, and that Nintendo's success is evidence that people wanted it, but can you blame some people if they're a little slow to redefine their personal artistic goals? If AMC and all other theater chains decided to only show 16mm films (and the public embraced that) I wouldn't be baffled or angry if it took quite a while for Warner Brothers to convince most of their talent to switch production to that new style, no matter how much financial sense it made.

legend166

moku said:

I agree with this post.

If we don't see major 3rd party support from Japanese developers at TGS, I'm willing to write off 3rd party support for Nintendo this generation. Of course, there will be the odd good game, but all in all, they'll continue to put trash on the system. I've already written off any substaintial western support.

How an entire industry could be so stupid baffles me.

Top Bottom