• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 8/13 - 8/19

Parl

The sales of CC, with the install base of DS, and the massive software sales of DS, shows just how competitive the DS software market is in Japan.

apujanata

donny2112 said:
Yes, please. :) I'd like to see what the other games sold, too. Cheesemeister already translated the new titles. Do you want me to PM an email address?

Yeah, please pm me your e-mail address. Couldn't really wait to get your hands on latest Famitsu figure, heh ? :)

Some appetizer for you, games that did not show up in the previous week list (If I am not mistaken) :
Code:
咲かせて! ちびロボ!【任天堂】  18089 : LTD 13万4506
Pokemon Diamond & Pearl 18424 : LTD 528万3004

Pokemon Diamond and Pearl are soon going to zip past Pokemon Ruby & Saphire in a few weeks as the highest LTD game in my own database (which is not complete). Current Ruby & Saphire is 5,337,045, up to 31-Dec-06 (I haven't check yet whether Ruby & Saphire show up in 2006 Top 500, since I have not finished compiling it yet).

cvxfreak

Joshua, can you post the chart that was on the Famitsu page before they changed it? The one with the really high numbers.

CANLI

One Piece Gear Spirit DS will be released on 30th august.
I hope this game will sell more than 100k LTD. If sales are ok, we can have more One Piece stuff's on DS.

An adventure game à la Zelda would be great.

we have that chart on friday, what's the problem ?

maybe we'll get cumulative 2 week sales, but you know i can provide top20 as usual ;)

Amazon.co.jp-watch:
- Tales of Fandom Vol2 Luke Version 60% pricedrop, rank #9...many other (mainly PS2 games) also have discounts.
- Tales of Innocence preorders started...6090Y MSRP? Namco copying SE again :lol
- Wii and some DS colors available...at their msrp prices! I wonder if Nintendo will ever pricedrop their systems again?

mclem

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
- Wii and some DS colors available...at their msrp prices! I wonder if Nintendo will ever pricedrop their systems again?
Did the original DS have its entire life at full MSRP? Is that a first for any console or handheld?

Sharp

Really? Weird, I could've sworn it dropped at least once. Did it drop in any other regions? If so, maybe that's what I was thinking of.

Sharp said:
Really? Weird, I could've sworn it dropped at least once. Did it drop in any other regions? If so, maybe that's what I was thinking of.

I believe it dropped in the US - at least with bundles it did.

Vinnk

titiklabingapat said:
Where's Vinkk at?

Sorry, this week I am in the process of moving. My current appartment is fine for one person but I will need a bigger place after I am married.

Still, I am going to try and get some new numbers tomorrow.

What should I look for?

Scum

Vinnk said:
Sorry, this week I am in the process of moving. My current appartment is fine for one person but I will need a bigger place after I am married.

Still, I am going to try and get some new numbers tomorrow.

What should I look for?
Moving, huh? Me too! Ye Gods, the sight of all these boxes sicken me! 8'/
Anyway, how about Zelda: PH.

Vinnk

donny2112 said:
Yoshi's Island DS. Is there plenty of stock meaning that it could sell and sell and eventually reach 1 million, or is it no where to be found?

I can tell you that right now. There are many copies to be found, t is not rare in any way. But one importnt thing is that there are more used copies than new ones. And those used copies are usually quite a bit cheaper at this point. There is little reason to pick up a new copy. Still, many casual gamers buy games not from game shops but just from department stores (which don't sell used games) so it has the potential to crawl to the million point but it's probably gonna be pretty close.

As for Zelda: PH, there are also many copies on shelves both new and used. But I feel confident that this title will surpass the 1 million point. Word of mouth is still selling this game. As people discover how to interact with it they must have a copy of thir own. It is attracting new zelda fans.

apujanata

Vinnk said:
I can tell you that right now. There are many copies to be found, t is not rare in any way. But one importnt thing is that there are more used copies than new ones. And those used copies are usually quite a bit cheaper at this point. There is little reason to pick up a new copy. Still, many casual gamers buy games not from game shops but just from department stores (which don't sell used games) so it has the potential to crawl to the million point but it's probably gonna be pretty close.

As for Zelda: PH, there are also many copies on shelves both new and used. But I feel confident that this title will surpass the 1 million point. Word of mouth is still selling this game. As people discover how to interact with it they must have a copy of thir own. It is attracting new zelda fans.

Very, very good news. Go Zelda.

Famitsu numbers

DSL - 116,000
Wii - 50,000
PSP - 22,000
PS2 - 16,000
PS3 - 15,000
360 - 2,300

1. NDS Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Ring of Fates - 206,000
2. PS2 Sengoku Musou 2 Mushouden - 176,000
3. NDS Gyakuten Saiban 3 - 65,000
4. Wii Mario Party 8 - 50,000 (~710,000)
5. NDS House Diary - 23,000 (~144,000)

9. PSP Dragoneer's Aria - 20,000
12. NDS Hayate no Gotoku! - 17,000
22. NDS Bikkuriman Daijiten - 12,000
.... NDS Ecolis - 1,700

19. NDS Zelda Phantom Hourglass - 14,000 (~760,000)
20. PS3 Minna no Golf 5 - 14,000 (~284,000)
27. NDS Its a Wonderful World - 8,200 (~172,000)
30. Wii Dragon Quest Swords - 6,700 (~453,000)

Holiday is over?
But for some reason, the numbers still look a bit lower than normal?

FF:CC @ 206k isn't bad at all. It could probably reach 500k if it has CoM-like legs. We'll see how well word of mouth carries it.

GS3 had a good showing too. Was that budget priced like GS2?

Parl

DS is in the gutter at 116k. I would've been forced to say DS isn't popular anymore if the other system's weren't sharing sewer space with it.

Sure looks like holidays over...most systems going quite down (all but PS2?). FFCC had a 240k shipment so over 200k sell through is really good. Now its time for SE to restock it...

Btw, I saw a Top30 chart that looks like a 2-week-combined Famitsu one...is this the one some of you were talking about (donny, joshua...)? Also hardware combined I think...

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Wow, 50K Wii would be the lowest number in a while.

Blablurn said:
weak week for everyone

judging by the high numbers in the USA and Europe at the moment, i think supply is being diverted elsewhere.
USA probably had some extra units shipped to go with MP3
and Europe probably has all the DS units for Pokemon and BT2

ethelred

206k is a nice start for Ring of Fates. It beat out the first week of sales for the original game, and it was a solid sell-through percent of the shipment (82%).

GS3's first week sales are huge compared to GS2 DS's. Hell, GS3 DS sold almost as much first week as the GBA original did.

GS3 65,000

Deserves every last one of those sales and a whole lot more. The game is fantastic. (Well, except from the typo riddled english translation. Hopefully AA4 - when it comes over - isn't as rushed.)

ethelred said:
206k is a nice start for Ring of Fates. It beat out the first week of sales for the original game, and it was a solid sell-through percent of the shipment (82%).

GS3's first week sales are huge compared to GS2 DS's. Hell, GS3 DS sold almost as much first week as the GBA original did.
SM2 Mushouden also did pretty well, just a little less (190k vs 176k) than Sengoku Musou Mushouden despite SM selling over 1m (SM2 just over 500k) and SM2 having a Empires version too (SM didn't). Good starts for the important titles last week.

Btw, this week ultimate PS3 behemoth is released!

BLADESTORM! :lol

linsivvi

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
SM2 Mushouden also did pretty well, just a little less (190k vs 176k) than Sengoku Musou Mushouden despite SM selling over 1m (SM2 just over 500k) and SM2 having a Empires version too (SM didn't). Good starts for the important titles last week.

Btw, this week ultimate PS3 behemoth is released!

Took me a while to get warmed up to the game, but I rather like it so far.

tanod

when is my burrito
Kurosaki Ichigo said:

BladeStorm scored very well in Famitsu and from what little bit of what I played of the demo, it seemed fun but I had no idea what I was doing or how to play since it was all in Japanese.

TheKingsCrown said:
If Wii hits 50k does that mean that units really were diverted to the U.S. ?
I would definitely say so. Nintendo's production numbers are moving upwards and there wouldn't be any other reason why Japan would get such a small amount, besides the small percentage drop that every system experienced post-holiday.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
TheKingsCrown said:

It would make a certain amount of sense since many GAFers reported huge Wii shipments this week for Metroid.

ethelred

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
SM2 Mushouden also did pretty well, just a little less (190k vs 176k) than Sengoku Musou Mushouden despite SM selling over 1m (SM2 just over 500k) and SM2 having a Empires version too (SM didn't).

Man, I can't be assed to keep track of these games. Koei's stuff baffles the hell out of me.

TheKingsCrown said:

No. It means demand is drying up.

Jokeropia

TheKingsCrown said:
Not during July like Pachter suggested, but it's possible. Wii was sold out on Amazon.co.jp for the last few weeks (including the 8/20 - 8/26 period of these preliminary numbers) after having been available for a number of weeks prior. It recently (just one or two days ago) became available again.

There's no site like iTrackr for Japan, is there?

ethelred said:
No. It means demand is drying up.

I can never tell when you’re doing your Anihawk impression anymore, but assuming you’re being serious, how do you get to that conclusion from a single week of lower-than-usual numbers?

Talamius

Diverting to the US would make sense and be a good strategy. Japan is won at this point, all Nintendo is doing is the sales-age equivalent of running up the score. 50k is plenty.

With more units going to the US they could have the lead in 12 months with a good holiday showing. That would be bigger in the grand scheme of things.

Parl

Talamius said:
Diverting to the US would make sense and be a good strategy. Japan is won at this point, all Nintendo is doing is the sales-age equivalent of running up the score. 50k is plenty.

With more units going to the US they could have the lead in 12 months with a good holiday showing. That would be bigger in the grand scheme of things.

I think this is partially to do with Nintendo knowing this would be a slow week (or somehow, when Nintendo under ships, the market shrinks, including for non-Nintendo consoles).

Wii's market share across all systems excluding GBA/GC last week was 25.57%. This week, it's 22.59%, which isn't much difference. I think Nintendo want to sustain a minimum weekly hardware market share in Japan and are shipping accordingly - less on typically slow weeks, more big weeks. So Nintendo can ship about 50k some weeks, sustain a good hardware market share, and then have more units for other regions which may be strategically more important. The is to ship just enough units in Japan, and the rest to Other and NA.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Btw, I saw a Top30 chart that looks like a 2-week-combined Famitsu one...is this the one some of you were talking about (donny, joshua...)? Also hardware combined I think...

This chart will be showed on Sep.9 as reported on Famitsu page, so friday we have cumulative 2 weeks (12 Aug and 19 Aug) (and hw combined too, of course)

Top Bottom