• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 8/13 - 8/19

jarrod

Banned
Jirotrom said:
Where is Sunshine?
It's in the grey figures at the top... graph should probably drop Mario RPG though imo as (1) it's a divergent, outsourced spinoff in a different genre and (2) none of the later Mario RPGs seem to be included. It's like randomly having Mario Kart 64 or Mario Party 4 in there or something.

There's a few other games that could be added though (provided figures are available) ... Super Mario USA (FC), Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land (GB), Wario Land (VB), Super Mario: Yoshi Island (SFC), Yoshi Story (N64), Wario Land 2 (GB/C), Wario Land 3 (GBC), Wario Land 4 (GBA), Luigi's Mansion (GC), Wario World (GC), Famicom Mini SMB2 (GBA), Yoshi Topsy-Turvy (GBA), Yoshi Touch 'n Go (DS) and Super Paper Mario (Wii).

Parl said:
No, he has a point. Dragon Quest Swords is apart of one of the very biggest franchises in Japan, so using its sales a barometre for how well third parties can sell on Wii is what's actually absurd.

Dragon Ball Z: Sparking! Neo (Bandai) - 157,784
Naruto Shippuuden: Gekitou Ninja Taisen EX (Takara Tomy) (2/22/07) - 97,123
One Piece Unlimited Adventure (Bandai) - 95,203
Resident Evil 4 Wii (Capcom) - 93,360

The top three are anime games, which are bound to sell, and RE4 is a good game, so its bound to sell.

So are we to only count niche titles or sudoku games for the Wii? Maybe I misunderstood you, but it sounds like you're saying it's absurd to compare 3rd party titles that sell well on the Wii versus third party titles that sell well on the PS3.

donny2112

I've always liked mj1108. :)

For those talking about "crazy Japan" having increases for Mario Party 8, Zelda, Minna no Golf 5, etc., it was a holiday last week. It was the same holiday that made us have two Media-Create threads this week. All of those games should either 1) return to normal or 2) continue on their previous trend in next week's sales figures.

Fuzzy said:
Mind adding the tracking firm to these?

Some of those numbers are from you-know-where. It might be a good idea to ask Moor-Angol or some of the other historical Japan sales trackers (e.g. ethelred, cvxfreak) to "correct" the numbers. ;)

The Sphinx said:
It is, it reached Platinum more than a year ago.

Super Mario 64 DS only crossed 1 million this year according to Famitsu.

Edit:
Super Mario Sunshine sold 690,596 through March 31, 2003. Some older Top 500 books could be a big help in this regard. :(

hinode

donny2112 said:
For those talking about "crazy Japan" having increases for Mario Party 8, Zelda, Minna no Golf 5, etc., it was a holiday last week. It was the same holiday that made us have two Media-Create threads this week. All of those games should either 1) return to normal or 2) continue on their previous trend in next week's sales figures.

Which makes me wonder about FF12 international. If the numbers were that bad on a holiday, how would it have performed on a regular week?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
My source for all the graphs I do is:
1) Dalthien's next gen thread or Dalthien's portable thread; Dalthien prefers Famitsu but uses MC for more recent info.

2) Any data not listed in those threads, I got from Moor Angol's old site; I am unsure if he has changed any of the legacy numbers on his new site, but if he has I'll update my graphs to that stuff eventually.

3) An extreme minority of data I have comes from a thread that Square2005 posted about an updated list of million sellers in Japan.

4) I have mixed-tracker data that I've picked up from reputable posters like donny and ethelred when they've posted info in the threads. I can't speak for all of their sources, but I know at least some of their data comes from Moor Angol.

donny2112 said:
Some of those numbers are from you-know-where. It might be a good idea to ask Moor-Angol or some of the other historical Japan sales trackers (e.g. ethelred, cvxfreak) to "correct" the numbers. ;)

I've never knowingly taken numbers from there. I believe some of the Mario numbers I copied verbatim from the old Mario sales graph; if those were ioisoft numbers I'll be sure to fix them with my next update.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
A Link to the Snitch said:
I :lol at FFXII International

Was FFXII really that unpopular that its International version bombed harder than any other International version?

FF12 sold almost the exact sale number as FF10, 5 years later and after next gen systems were already out. I'd say that's pretty impressive.

noonche

John Harker said:
FF12 sold almost the exact sale number as FF10, 5 years later and after next gen systems were already out. I'd say that's pretty impressive.

Umh, only the 360 was out at that point in Japan.

tanod

when is my burrito
Why not include the GC copies of TP as well in that graph or are they significantly less than a 100,000?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
tanod said:
Why not include the GC copies of TP as well in that graph or are they significantly less than a 100,000?

GC version was only sold online in Japan and no sales tracker tracks online sales.

ethelred

John Harker said:

But the point is it isn't selling the exact number as FFX, because FFX raked in huge sales through International and Ultimate Hits, and FFXII International just bombed horribly.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
ethelred said:
But the point is it isn't selling the exact number as FFX, because FFX raked in huge sales through International and Ultimate Hits, and FFXII International just bombed horribly.

Yea, I was just commenting to the first point of what I quoted: the game itself didnt bomb at all. FF10 by far will outself FF12, but at launch FF12 didn't underperform. The Intl and UH releases of FF10 obviously makes that watermark unreachable by 12 since it seems the Intl version of FF12 bombed, but one can argue that by now the audiance as simply moved on - and even beat and completed the sequal - so it may not be completely a testament to how the game was initially received, just that the audiance has lost interest in the title and/or only play nongames now.

tanod

when is my burrito
Stumpokapow said:
GC version was only sold online in Japan and no sales tracker tracks online sales.

Thanks for the information. Do you think you can make one for the main FF games + International editions? That would be pretty cool.

I think NSMB deserves the #2 spot in sales. It really is the most fun I've had with a Mario game since Mario 64.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
AniHawk said:
The Playstation brand will have been around 16 years or so when Sony announces the next system. I say get rid of Playstation and start completely fresh. Same name and controller for nearly two decades definitely won't fly.

Brand names like the Ford Mustang, Chevy Corvette, Apple, and IBM have seen great times and terrible times, but still live on. Some, like IBM, have left an industry they helped to create and gone into something totally different. They are highly respected in the financial consulting industry right now.

My point is that if Sony totally looses this gen they won't need to drop the Playstation name. They are fantastic at spinning hype. At least they were. They could probably do it again.

EDIT While Apple and IBM aren't brand names, they are names heavily associated with the products they've produced.

Nolan. said:
If they were dead would they not be selling much less software of popular franchises.
They aren't?
Nolan. said:
Though i'm just bewildered by all the analysts in the making so convinced that reading a couple sales threads gives them a clear insight into the future. And things always turn out the way they start off.
Basing things on a very small number of weeks is goofy in an spwolf kind of way. But 40 weeks is something a bit more, and if you've got an example of things not turning out the way the first 40 weeks suggest, I'd be interested. The only one that comes to mind is when Saturn and PS1 both started off slow and similar for 2 years until PS1 started getting the big big games.

donny2112

Stumpokapow said:
I've never knowingly taken numbers from there. I believe some of the Mario numbers I copied verbatim from the old Mario sales graph; if those were ioisoft numbers I'll be sure to fix them with my next update.

The old Mario sales graph was made when ioi's numbers were still being posted around, and I believe the initial version of that graph was purely ioi numbers. Also for some older data, he was the only source. I'm hoping that the historical Famitsu trackers here can help clear that up, though.

For ioi's older numbers, the dead giveaway is that they end in multiples of 250. He's stopped that now, though.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
donny2112 said:
For ioi's older numbers, the dead giveaway is that they end in multiples of 250. He's stopped that now, though.
Which makes it harder for us to spot right away. :lol

donny2112

Stumpokapow said:
http://images.stumpnet.net/mario/mario_history.png

Some updated Famitsu numbers.

Code:
GBA Famicom Mini Super Mario Brothers          1,254,381 (20061231)
GBA Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3   718,207 (20061231)
NDS Super Mario 64 DS                          1,042,322 (20070701)

Also, thanks for being willing to replace the numbers! :)

Lucky

Take that Minna no Golf! Seems MP8 will not die, despite its flaws. And nice to see DKJC doing its thang. All Nintendo system top 5. I can't wait for Hardware numbers!

31./27. [NDS] Kanji Brain Test 2M (IE Institute)
32./30. [NDS] Chibi Robo! Park Patrol (Nintendo)
33./33. [NDS] Common Knowledge Training (Nintendo)
34./35. [NDS] Mushi King Super Collection (Sega)
35./00. [NDS] Won!tertainment: Fortune Channel (Capcom)
36./29. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd (Capcom)
37./36. [NDS] Kirarin Revolution: Mezase Idol Queen! (Konami)
38./00. [PSP] Wild Arms: Crossfire (Sony)
39./18. [WII] Mobile Suit Gundam 0079 (Bandai-Namco)
40./45. [NDS] Kekkaishi: Tale of the Raven Forest (Bandai-Namco)
41./40. [NDS] Detailed Japanese History B Total Training (Bandai-Namco)
42./00. [PSP] Snow Portable (Prototype)
43./39. [NDS] Momotarou Dentetsu DS: Tokyo & Japan (Hudson)
44./38. [NDS] Prof. Layton and the Curious Village (Level 5)
45./42. [NDS] Tetris DS (Nintendo)
46./00. [NDS] Saiyuki: Gold and Silver Conspiracy (D3 Publisher)
47./00. [NDS] Kanji Test (Rocket Co.)
48./00. [NDS] Puyo-Puyo! (Sega)
49./47. [NDS] Mega Man ZX Advent (Capcom)
50./00. [NDS] Heart Scan (Sega)

NDS - 36
WII - 6
PSP - 4
PS2 - 3
PS3 - 1

hardware.gif

Code:
Hardware - This Week | Last Week |       YTD |        LTD
1. NDS   -   153,834 |   147,205 | 4,994,717 | 19,000,396
2. WII   -    73,938 |    65,120 | 2,504,496 |  3,424,139
3. PSP   -    33,715 |    32,147 | 1,321,381 |  5,853,510
4. PS3   -    21,720 |    21,321 |   627,461 |  1,085,019
5. PS2   -    15,240 |    12,545 |   516,655 | 20,671,514
6. 360   -     2,445 |     2,112 |   137,679 |    402,381
7. GBA   -       654 |       520 |    44,645 | 15,342,724
8. NGC   -       145 |       131 |     9,276 |  4,178,744
GBA = 24 GBA + 212 SP + 418 Micro
NDS = 15 DS + 153,819 Lite

s_20070813.png

castle007

Banned
Cheesemeister said:
NDS - 153,834
2. WII - 73,938
3. PSP - 33,715
4. PS3 - 21,720
5. PS2 - 15,240
6. 360 - 2,445
7. GBA - 654
8. NGC - 145

wow, an increase in hardware for everyone. NDS will pass five million (YTD) next week. Nice Wii numbers too

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
ethelred said:
No kidding. As a big fan of the original Wild Arms, I'm sad to see the state the series has been turned into.

Also DS at 19m now. Won't be long till it surpasses PS2.

Tideas

Banned
So, the PS3 didn't drop into the teens like some predicted.

Although, I think next week, it will, unless Warhawk is also released in Japan simultaneously

tehbear

ethelred said:

I wouldn't feel too bad, Wild Arms is declining into generic RPG territory quicker than PS3 momentum evaporating in Japan as they realize they wait another season for another big release.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
tanod said:
Thanks for the information. Do you think you can make one for the main FF games + International editions? That would be pretty cool.

These are based on Square2005's japanese million sellers list and FFXII sales do NOT include international edition; not updated since I made it:

final_fantasy_history.png

I'll update it when FFXII:IE dies from the charts :)lol in a few weeks)

Unfortunately it's not as easy to make a nice looking chart when you have such divergent art styles and in retrospect I think the dropshadowing was a poor move visually.

Jiggy

tehbear said:
I wouldn't feel too bad, Wild Arms is declining into generic RPG territory quicker than PS3 momentum evaporating in Japan as they realize they wait another season for another big release.
But this one's a strategy RPG. I had hopes. :(

Oh well. As long as it's still a quality game and gets a US release, I'll buy it, at least. Really enjoyed Wild ARMs 1 in its time (though I find it far too slow today)--even chose to play it over FFVII, and that happened before I'd even gotten far enough into FFVII to realize that it wasn't another FFVI.

Top Bottom